PDA

View Full Version : points on DMV record (CA)

94cc0rd
10-12-2006, 04:13 PM
if you get points on your dmv record from an accident, can you take traffic school to get rid of 1 or more points?

i have a point from a speeding ticket almost 3 years ago when i was 17 and the judge @ juvenile court did not allow me to take traffic school to get the point off my record..

i've heard several different things from people about how you are allowed traffic school for the first point on your record and everything after that you cannot get rid of.. or i've had friends take traffic school twice for 2 different points and had both points taken off the record...

sw20>>s14
10-12-2006, 05:38 PM
that first point youre referring to is probably already erased from your record...points only last up to three years after the violation date...as for traffic school in hopes to wipe a point from an accident...iirc, you cant...traffic school is only to reverse moving violations...

EndLeSS8
10-12-2006, 06:42 PM
You can only take traffic school once every 18 months, and it clears up points. I'm not sure exactly how many points though.

I got a ticket earlier this year, for 1 point, and it cleared it.

You should clear your points....it jacks up your insurance

ciGARRETTsRbad4u
10-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Traffic school does not erase points from your record. All it does it hide it from the insurance company. The DMV still has your points on record, unless it passed the three years or whatever amount of time it takes for points to be cleared.

And you can take a second traffic school within the 18 months, however not all insurance companies will take the second traffic school.

i think...

94cc0rd
10-12-2006, 07:01 PM
well, dec. 26 will be 3 years for the speeding ticket...

is there any kind of penalty for getting more points onto the record while there is already a point?

sw20>>s14
10-13-2006, 12:45 AM
you can only get a certain amount of points within one year, 2 years, 3, 4, etc...

i dont want to give you the wrong info because its kinda fuzzy (thank god i dont know it back and forth like before; staying out of trouble lately =D), but its all in the DMV handbook bro...

if you have under four point within a year, you should worry about your insurance more than getting your license suspended...for AAA, they increase $500 per point!!!...thats my personal situation/premium, but most should be around there more or less...plus, some insurance companies wont even cover you if you have one too many...

if your 18 months arent up yet and youre not eligible for traffic school, id highly recommend hiring a lawyer to enable you to take "traffic school II"...itll save you a lot of money in the long run...

good luck and stop being racer x...

94cc0rd
10-13-2006, 01:21 AM
I stopped being a racer the day after i got that speeding ticket...

as for the points from the accident... is there any way I can remove at least 1 so that my insurance doesn't go up so much?

also, I have liability only on my car right now... will the rates still go up that much?

SlappieBooBoo
10-13-2006, 01:34 AM
yes because your insurance company is liable for your running into someone else while speeding. of course they are gonna go up

cisco240
10-13-2006, 09:37 AM
I don't know of a way to get a point taken off your record but you can prevent a point from being added on. You can only do this when you first get a ticket. When you go to court, you have to ask to be allowed to go to traffic school so that you don't get the point added on your record. You plead guilty, pay the fine for the charge, plus a little extra for the chance to take traffic school to the court, & of course you pay for the traffic school (but you will save $$$ w/ your insurance by doing this). Hope this helps.

edit: I forgot my location says Missouri, but I'm from Cali. That's why I know this stuff, I've had to deal w/ this stuff before (too many times).

SyrusStephens
10-16-2006, 01:57 AM
all i can say is Good Luck bro, im in a similar situation, but i got my first ticket removed viz traffic school several months ago. i just got into an accident due to horrible frickin city drivers and an old lady with a walker. :hammer: :bs:

i seriously HATE some drivers.
and cops.
no offense.
:rant: