PDA

View Full Version : Toyota related tech question (AE86)... Yes, it's off topic.

NervGS
10-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Hi all,

Before I say anything, yes, I've posted on Club4ag already and would just like to get anyone's pov from here on it...

I have a Corolla with a 20valve 4AG, using a TRD 4-2-1 headers and could not pass smog with it (big surprise there). My previous Corolla also had the same setup, but used a 4-1 header and managed to pass smog with a bit of trickery here and there... Both had/have brand new cats on them. The car at the moment runs extremely rich and backfires almost whenever I lift throttle. The previous car would backfire mostly at high RPMs or, whenever I'd tap the gas very slightly, but never when I lift at low RPMs (like what the current setup is doing). Also, the exhaust fumes smells like it has no cat on it (I forget how the previous car smells).

My question is, the current header (4-2-1) setup has the o2 sensor in one of the dual runners where as the 4-1 header has it in the collector, can this be causing it to rich and have it smell (and to ultimatly fail)? I'm also thinking it could be a faulty o2 sensor as well (but wouldn't the car run like crap?)... In a nutshell, my smog tech told me to relocate the o2 sensor from the dual runner to the collector and it should help whereas my mom's mechanic told me it wouldn't help as much...

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

-glenn

drift freaq
10-10-2006, 09:25 PM
well taking it the o2 off one of the dual runners is not actually giving you an accurate o2 reading IMO. Your smog guy is right. You need to take it off the collector or below that before or at the cat. If you have a cat. hahahhahhahha

crashdrive
10-11-2006, 07:41 PM
how can a 20V pass in visual? im sure the smog tech will ask why do you have a 20V in your corolla? i have a corolla to but i have a 4agze from an AE101 i dont smog it i have a friend that has a hook up if you know what i mean.

HyperTek
10-11-2006, 08:04 PM
offtopic.. dam NervGS where u been man!?!? !hahah i remember u from teh freshalloy days

mrmephistopheles
10-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Glenn's been very busy owning cars that don't work, or are otherwise problematic.
Sorry we never got together while you were out here Glenn. :-/
We'll meet up when we return to the states, k?

NervGS
10-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Hahahaha... Kevin is right, with the exception of the S2000! I'm in the middle of throwing money at the Corolla, and at the same time, going to get rid of one of my other cars (so I can fund the Zee).

Some people still don't know this, but I picked up another S14 3 months ago and will be definatly staying with it (it's going to be my daily driver till the Corolla is fixed) and will hopefully doing some suspension work to it shortly (again, after the Corolla is fixed). No turbo, no SR, nothing of that sort. I'd like to get pulled over (if ever) with a slammed car on my 16's, a rollbar and R32 seats and asked to pop the hood only to discover a bone stock KA (with stock airbox, exhaust, and working A/C mind you).

Then again, the Cop magnet will be the Corolla (upside down thinking - not good - ).

Yes Kevin, hopefully we'll be able to meet up next time, it's been a long time since I've seen you, and waaay too long since I've seen Lisa (last I recall seeing her is at Sam's old shop during the fires) AND I haven't even been able to meet the little one (and the new one).

Hypertek, I've been around, commenting on a few threads here and there, though nothing supporting of that nature. I miss that old SR20 forum, don't you?

-glenn