PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to import a car

iampachino
10-10-2006, 06:00 AM
I was looking online at impoting a car, and I didnt understand all of the laws. Can they be legalized easily or is it a bitch to do. The website that imported cars had a link of the laws but they were impossible for me to understand. Is there a tax on import cars.

Thasnk aaorn

95Blue240sx
10-10-2006, 11:51 AM
its as easy as searching buddy.

S14zenkiQ's
10-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Search Please

Msglnthdmnewbsdntsrch

!Zar!
10-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Has to've been released in america with the same engine/smog/saftey equipment.

You really should be searching to find out what you're looking for.

Just buy a usdm car.

MELLO*SOS
10-10-2006, 05:38 PM
You need to do more research...

I'll save you from wasting a few precious seconds: You gotta move to Canada to do what you want to do. And even then there are specific limits on the year of the vehicle and stuff. For the most part, the USA does not allow importing of non NHTSA & EPA approved vehicles... Why do you think silvia front end conversions and rhd conversions and sr20 swaps are so common here? :coolugh:

iampachino
10-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Ok after I posted this I felt really dumb for not searching my bad i deserved it. I read an article here on how to import a skyline, and the guy said something about it be state legal??? I didnt understand that, other than all of the peopel bashing it a few said that is was still illegal. I am not looking at importing a skyline, it is actually a toyota vitz. They are like 3k for a 1999 and they just got released here as the yaris, and they are impossible to get. The guy said he spent like 4500 as a whole getting the car imported and legalized as he said it. I was just wondering if there was any way to futher this project.

Thasnk for all help Aaron

yokotas13
10-11-2006, 04:43 AM
isnt the Yaris in teh states the same thing?

http://www.toyozone.com/inventory/seriesLanding.aspx#

exitspeed
10-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Technically you can import any car you want it as long as it is for track use only.

95Blue240sx
10-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Ok after I posted this I felt really dumb for not searching my bad i deserved it. I read an article here on how to import a skyline, and the guy said something about it be state legal??? I didnt understand that, other than all of the peopel bashing it a few said that is was still illegal. I am not looking at importing a skyline, it is actually a toyota vitz. They are like 3k for a 1999 and they just got released here as the yaris, and they are impossible to get. The guy said he spent like 4500 as a whole getting the car imported and legalized as he said it. I was just wondering if there was any way to futher this project.

Thasnk for all help Aaron

The bashing isnt for fun, just cause its been covered many times. Dont take it personal because really we are trying to help. You are one of the news ones that seems to have a good head.

Jung918
10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Doesn't even seem worth it to import a vitz. From what i have heard about the skyline is that the R33 has been approved but the DMV doesn't know the difference from the R32 and R34. They see them as just skylines. That is one of the loopholes that they bypass.
Also, you will need to change out the windshield, the bumper supportsand other stuff as we have harder saftey laws.

Wei240
10-11-2006, 06:27 PM
import a vitz?
of all the cars i've seen that people bring over, this is by far the lowest value...

ThatGuy
10-11-2006, 06:31 PM
I've seen a RHD Miata, Z3, and Mini Cooper here in North Cackalacky. It's cool for the initial "WTF?", but then it's like, "Hahahaha, dumbass can't even use a drive up ATM anymore. LAME!". To each his own, though.

fliprayzin240sx
10-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Doesn't even seem worth it to import a vitz. From what i have heard about the skyline is that the R33 has been approved but the DMV doesn't know the difference from the R32 and R34. They see them as just skylines. That is one of the loopholes that they bypass.
Also, you will need to change out the windshield, the bumper supportsand other stuff as we have harder saftey laws.

Nopes, Motorex screwed that process for all of US. As far as DOT and NHTSB is concerned no R32 or R34 is legal since none of them were ever crash tested, so not legal. For the R33s, last I heard, they are trying to pull the paperwork for it. Well atleast for the GTRs because Motorex only crashed GTS'. Trying but the argument has been, why pull it when its the same chassis. But then the bodys not exactly 100% the same.

gotta240
10-11-2006, 07:23 PM
well, i wanted to flame you REALLY bad, but after further reading i give you a little bit of credit for not saying

"i'm going to import a skyline and start drifting".

I have often thought about importing a shitty car from there as well. They are cheap, and cool as hell imo. The legalization process is VERY dependant on where you live. If you're in cali you better do some SERIOUS research and have a hook up/knowledgable person or two on your side.

crashdrive
10-11-2006, 07:30 PM
they import chassis and motor
http://www.gspeedcorp.com/cgi-bin/home.cgi

ThatGuy
10-11-2006, 07:41 PM
That still doesn't make it legal.

soreballz
10-12-2006, 02:20 AM
"Hahahaha, dumbass can't even use a drive up ATM anymore. LAME!".
Sure they can, they've just got to master driving in reverse. ;)

SiI40sx
10-12-2006, 01:11 PM
I've seen a RHD Miata, Z3, and Mini Cooper here in North Cackalacky. It's cool for the initial "WTF?", but then it's like, "Hahahaha, dumbass can't even use a drive up ATM anymore. LAME!". To each his own, though.

yea but they can drive up to an in n out in socal on their own, and theyll be in better shape becuase they wont be fatass's driving up to a atm all the time!

gun
10-13-2006, 10:46 PM
wow, lots of research is needed on your end. i've always been up on importing issues and that ish. last i recall, the vitz is not on the list of eligible vehicles. my dad and i were just calling around the other day about importing a car from Japan. if the vitz you're lookin at is around 3k, it'll fit in the 20ft. container, which the cheapest place i found was about $6200, that includes all customs paperwork included, but not tax and other importing fees;just the straight cost. if u really intend to get the car for some reason, go to the NHTSA website and look at the list of eligible vehicles, if it's not on the list, you're not gonna get it legally unless you wanna do crash tests, which i doubt u wanna do for a damn vitz.. oh yeah, US Cutoms is merciless, to their discretion, if they find the vitz which is not on the eligible list for importation, or for racing exemptions, they can/prolly will, confiscate the car, then destroy it, then send you the bill for the cost of destroying it.......just sharing my knowledge