PDA

View Full Version : What should be done?

johngriff
10-08-2006, 08:14 PM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/vonendorphin/DSCF0005-2.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/vonendorphin/DSCF0004-3.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/vonendorphin/DSCF0003-3.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/vonendorphin/DSCF0002-3.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2/vonendorphin/DSCF0001-3.jpg

I did this wiring job on a bench for someone else, who then resold it someone else and the installation was done far out of my supervision. The harness was already heavily modified before it was taken to me. I repaired alot of uncalled for extensions or rewires for accessories that are unused. The harness was taken to me, then taken back after "whatever" happened, these are pictures from me inspecting the harness. At first i was told that the harness burned immediately, then I was TOLD that the car ran for about an hour before the maf wires burned and cooked the ECU. In my 6 years of wiring i have not had this happen to me once. When i inspected the harness it looked like the wires had not touched and crossed. It appeared to be bad grounding externally or crossed wires beyond the pins.

I have offered to make the situation right to a reasonable extent, but i have never seen the car in person (i have offered to travel to it). I have been told that the person who contacted me does not want me to meet the customer. Apparently this situation is coming to a figure head. So I figured i should take this to the court of public opinion (zilvia).

In this situation I would be dealing with someone, who was not the end user, whom vehicle i have not been able to inspect, and who i have never dealt with in the past, only from the one endeavor.

Thanks for you opinion.

John
[email protected]

yokotas13
10-08-2006, 08:55 PM
IMO
any guarantees, should only be given to the memebr that purchased the harness initially. Or that you repaired initially, or whatever happened. After it leaves the hand of that person, its over. You dont know what he/she did to it, the other components that it was installed with, or thwir integrity ( the part condition in otherwords)

Id make very few repairs if any personally

A Spec Products
10-08-2006, 10:08 PM
From a business standpoint, you are not liable.

You are only responsible to the customer who you sold this to.

From a consumer standpoint, they are going to blame you for it even though its most likely due to their negligence. The fact that they won't let you see the actual car is a pretty big red flag that they did something that would affect the judgement of the damage. A big game of he said she said.

If rewiring is not a costly or hard task, then I would just do it for the customer but then probably not sell to the customer ever again.

Gnnr
10-08-2006, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't redo the wiring. Once it changed ownership, it should be out of your hands. Simple as that. An something fishy is definately going on. I say stay away before it leads into more problems.

A Spec Products
10-09-2006, 07:11 AM
I wouldn't redo the wiring. Once it changed ownership, it should be out of your hands. Simple as that. An something fishy is definately going on. I say stay away before it leads into more problems.

Eh, its a pretty gray area.

Cause yeah, super fishy and it should be out of his hands, but I guess he's a business, so he's kinda dammed if he does, and dammed if he doesnt.

If he does, then possibly leaves him even more exposed and responsible.

If he doesnt, then customer complains, bad mouths him, ruins rep, etc.

TheWolf
10-09-2006, 08:20 AM
While I vote for not warrantying it. It's a simple matter of do you want to satisfy the customer. In situations like these we do what's called "Satisfy him for our cost". If it takes x employee, who makes $15/hour, 4 hours to fix this and $40 in parts. Then I'll fix it for $100. If they don't want then then there's not much you can help them with. It's obviously not a problem in what you did but a ID-10T customer error.

FinalDrive
10-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Rewire it, but charge a reasonable fee unless you offered some type of warranty to the original customer before he resold it. AND make it clear that there will be no warranty or liability on your part this time.

johngriff
10-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys for the opinions, honestly, i would be happy just to meet the end user, the car, and to go at the car with my multimeter and oscilloscope, and set the car up right.

This was supposed to be run as a business to business deal, and now that this issue has happened somewhere out of my hands, they are coming back looking for me to share the cost.

Either way, after this happened, i decided this was the LAST harness i would modify, with the car being out of my supervision. From now on it will only be brand new OEM harnesses installed here, instead of shipped off to some other place.

Thanks again for your opinions guys, I appreciate it.

John

silverarrow27
10-12-2006, 09:17 PM
Personally John I would have sent the harness back as it was resold. One bad mouther isn't gonna do much damage to your reputation when you've got your own steady clientele already locally.

bardabe
10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Personally John I would have sent the harness back as it was resold. One bad mouther isn't gonna do much damage to your reputation when you've got your own steady clientele already locally.
one person can;t do anithing to his rep. that is like saying because one person saying the S13 is a bad car its gonna do something bad to the rep of the car. John is a good guy he runs a legit business and Helps alot of ppl free of charge alot.