PDA

View Full Version : electricians look please

dori2 s13coupe
10-06-2006, 06:46 PM
hi, i have a dryer in my back patio that requires a outlet that can supply a 220v single phase plug.

my panel is about 20-25 feet away from where i need the plug. in my panel i have 5 slots to put in breakers so i think i can slap in another one.

the dryer requires a 220v single phase 30 amp outlet, how can i go about doing this?

DrtyRat
10-06-2006, 07:05 PM
hi, i have a dryer in my back patio that requires a outlet that can supply a 220v single phase plug.

my panel is about 20-25 feet away from where i need the plug. in my panel i have 5 slots to put in breakers so i think i can slap in another one.

the dryer requires a 220v single phase 30 amp outlet, how can i go about doing this?
Residential housing doesn't come w/220 single phase, its generally 110 single phase. That's usually reserved fro industrial setups. If you got a commercial dryer and it can only use single phase 220 then your out of luck. You cna put a 220 double pole breaker which will take up 2 slots, and you should use nothing smaller than a 10 gauge wire. Also do you have a pig tale coming off of the dryer? If so how does it look...
Like this..... / \
L

dori2 s13coupe
10-06-2006, 08:58 PM
so am i out of luck or can i use a double pole breaker?

well i have 2 outlets like this.. and it says 30amp-125/250v on the front
http://ts.smoothcorp.com/cj/cornerhardware/168611.jpg

one is for the dryer and the other is for a electric stove

no the tail looks like this..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/anonymousadrian/10042006.jpg

thanks for you reply

DrtyRat
10-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Your fine w/a dp breaker and the outlet in the first pic. The only difference between the 3 prong outlet and the 4 prong you have on the pig tail, is the extra wire on the pig tail allows for a 110v circuit to be used off of that line. The reason for this is alot of the appliances today have electronic components that run off of 110. You can still accomplish this by using the 3 prong outlet but you'd have to change the pig tail. On the back of the dryer there should be a wiring diagram to convert it to a 3 wire set up. Its been awhile since I've done this kind of work but its pretty straight foward. BTW plz don't use anything smaller than #10 or you could have serious problems. LMK if I can help you w/anything else. Lastly, you have a 2 phase circuit not a single phase. 2 phase 220v = 1 phase @110v + 1 phase @110v

Helghast
10-07-2006, 01:02 AM
Only in Zilvia...

dori2 s13coupe
10-07-2006, 12:55 PM
ya, so i guess 110 for the heating element and one for the motor . do you think i should split it up into 2 plugs? like thisthis? http://www.pvrea.com/images/3-prong_plug.gif

or should i just run a direct outlet from the panel (4-prong)

S14DB
10-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Your problem is with Amps not Volts. I would go into it more but I dunno the codes in your state and don't want to be responsible for you burning your house down.

Replicant_S14
10-07-2006, 02:16 PM
On the back of the dryer there should be a wiring diagram to convert it to a 3 wire set up. Its been awhile since I've done this kind of work but its pretty straight foward.

Yeah, there's a bonding strap on the dryer terminals or something like that. Just look at the diagram keeping in mind that the whole point of the 4 pronger is to separate the neutral from the ground. It isn't complicated. Although, if it's only 20 feet from the panel, I'd just pull some new wire, put a 4 prong receptical in and be done with it.

do you think i should split it up into 2 plugs?

No. That's crazy talk.

DrtyRat
10-07-2006, 11:09 PM
ya, so i guess 110 for the heating element and one for the motor . do you think i should split it up into 2 plugs? like thisthis?
or should i just run a direct outlet from the panel (4-prong)
Uh no! I hope this doesnt come across as being a prick b/c that's not what's intended, but maybe you shouldn't be messing w/this stuff. I used to tell ppl that wanted to tackle these kind of things w/o the proper knowledge that "a little bit of electrical knowledge is a bad thing." B/c ppl who have a little understanding think that they can tackle things that are out of their league. I'm not saying that you have no idea what your doing but the whole thing about "split it up into 2 plugs" thing lends heavily to the fact that your in over your head. If you do decide to tackle this you need to have a 30a double pole breaker and hook it up w/#10 wire. As stated above, since the panel is only 25 ' away just run all new wire. 4 wires...2 should be black or 1black/1red, 1 white, and 1 green. The 2 black wires would connect directly to the terminals of the breaker. The white will go directly from your nuetral bar (in the panel there should be a terminal strip that has all of the white wires going to it) and the green wire will go to your grounding bar, which you can identify by presence of green and/or bare copper being attached to this. To attach them to the oulet follow the diagram on it where the black and/or red wires = hot , the white wire=nuetral, and the green =ground. If any of this confuses you in the slightest then please don't attempt to do anything. Just call an electrician/handyman and pay the 100-150 that it will cost to have it done right. Why do I have a bad feeling about this?:bite: :bite: :bite: