PDA

View Full Version : Convince mom that a 240 is OK for me!

Ninjabread
10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Alrighty, i never thought it would come to this, but my parents have agreed to help the car funding a bit because i'm a good kid. My mom thinks that the 240sx is a "sports car" and that i'd be better off driving anything else.

Now, i've had my g2's for around a year now, no accidents, no tickets and im a responsible driver. I know this may sound stupid, but I need you guys to respond on here and let her know that the 240sx is the car for me. I've cant see myself driving anything else, because i've been looking at these cars and researching them for the longest time. Most of you have seen me post and i've been registered for a long time, and I was lurking even before that, so it's not like i dont know anything about these cars. So please.. Convince Mommy that Matt should have a 240sx...

*CLIFF NOTES*

Reply here to convince my mom that buying a 240sx would be ok for me.

ALTRNTV
10-06-2006, 02:36 PM
You've been on here for over a year and you still don't have a 240? Wow. That's some patience. I'm sure you can find one for around $2,000 and won't need your mom's financial help, unless she's also helping out with insurance.

To your mom:
Let him get it, he's saved up his own money and deserves to get it. They are pretty reliable and cheap on insurance. They are not really considered "sports cars," and aren't anymore sporty than the car the next guy has.

Farzam
10-06-2006, 02:36 PM
240sx's are amazing cars. They have great gas mileage, insurance is pretty fair on the cars, they're reliable, and unless you put a LOT of money into the engine, it's not gonna be a race car.

Your son seems to be a good, mature guy. Put some trust into him. I see your stand on him not being in a sporty car, but this isn't any more sporty than what most other teenagers drive(Bimmers, Accords, etc), and this is what your son loves. Just let him get one, he'll be happy and it'll give him so much joy. Not many kids get the cars they want when they get their license, and the ones that do always remember and cherish it.

Hope you get the car, Matt!

TheSquidd
10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
1. good on gas
2. cheap to maintain
3. runs on 87 and cheap oil
4. will teach you the ins and outs of mechanic work
5. is too slow to hurt yourself in

TougeNinja
10-06-2006, 02:49 PM
contrary to popular belief. 240s are slow as hell, silly truck motors! but i luv'em anyway

btw a minivan will go just as fast as any other car around there, its not the car... its if u drive responsibly

240's"r"us
10-06-2006, 02:50 PM
1. good on gas
5. is too slow to hurt yourself in

so true

postoshort

Neo Yakra
10-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Its a great car for anyone... Good on gas is a plus, repair parts are everywhere! Its a 2 door so fitting tons of people in it won't be an issue. Its got decent trunk space, not to mention the car is very attractive. Matt wont have any problems getting a girl. That in itself is worth every penny (lower stress, better moods) I recommend you test drive one before you judge a car by its forums!

ThatGuy
10-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I hear the bandwagon gets great gas mileage. :keke:

I couldn't resist. It was just too easy.

If her own Son can't convince her, what are a group of "Strangers" going to do?

redsuns3838
10-06-2006, 03:03 PM
also if you dont know how to drive stickshift and you get a manual 240sx, its a great car to learn on. I practiced on 2 cars prior to buying a 240, and the difference was night and day. Its a very good learners car.

that and its a really reliable car. most ppl put easily over 150K on the engine before reporting any problems. a lot of them over 200K. and if it does break, motors/parts are easily available so it wont cost an arm and a leg to fix.

blu808
10-06-2006, 03:06 PM
Whats a bandwagon?

Tell your mom that if she helps you out you will run hella errands for her.

94cc0rd
10-06-2006, 03:10 PM
tell her that it has a truck motor and that it's not much quicker than a civic or something...

that's what got my parents. they thought a 240sx was a sports car as well, just because the name sounded "sporty" to them.

gun
10-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Besides the things mentioned above, they are super safe! the tree saved my life, but the car kept me from getting injured, im perfectly fine, only my equilibriums outta whack a little bit.

if u get one with a good engine and are a patient driver, expect to get 30 mpg. cheap insurance, cheap parts, and slooow. reliable too, all that good stuff mentioned above.

let him get it. i mean it, or else.

s13poop
10-06-2006, 03:18 PM
its a dope car to start with
i <3 my car.................... sometimes

but rly if he's worked hard and shown he's responsible let em have the car :D

good luck on the car!!!! :bigok:

nistech
10-06-2006, 03:23 PM
since everything else is covered
no cup holders so he cant drink and drive.

ALTRNTV
10-06-2006, 03:28 PM
no cup holders so he cant drink and drive.

You can always take out the ash tray. :D

P4rD0nM3
10-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Is your mom going to read this thread?

Hiya.

I think it's time for mommy to let her son take care of his own money. If he buys a 240 and that 240 == lemon, then it's his first experience on how shitty our world is. Welcome!

[shameless plug]I'm sellin' the Volvo if you want a volvo for you son. Hehehe. AM too IFF money talks.[/shamelessplug]

trsilvias13
10-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Tell your mom a 240sx is not a sport car. Tell her it only has 155 horsepower. Tell her today cars have 200+ horsepower. Sad to say, but lots of cars today are way faster even car that arent "sports car" .

ManoNegra
10-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Pros
1. Cheap
2. Easy on insurance.
3. Parts are easy to find.

Cons
1. Realiable?.... really?
2. Can be modded to be fast.

But honestly don't take this the wrong way but if you need your mommy's approval to get a 240 than you're not ready for one. Work on being independent of your parents first so that you can make your own decisions.

Wei240
10-06-2006, 05:48 PM
convince her that it has the same engine from a 'truck', so it's slow but reliable, yes, reliable, engine from a 'truck', how can it not be reliable, parts are cheap, insurance is cheap, good gas mileage, and it's not a sports car, it has 4 seats, c'mon now

HyperTek
10-06-2006, 06:08 PM
someone should post that "sr20: moms love em becuase they are low on torque, kids love em becuase they are jdm tyte" picture lol

anyways

kinda old for a first car now (it was my first car back in 01-02)

anyways pros
cheap
parts from junkyard easy to source
keep it stock and well maintained and should have no problems
enough power to get out of the tighest of traffic jams/on ramps etc

cons
no airbags on s13 (some parents my not like that)
starting to look old and alot of the cars are becoming crappy do to age
empty wallets from trying to hook it up

!Zar!
10-06-2006, 06:31 PM
I seriously doubt your mom will care one bit about what people online suggest. And being as how it's bias twards s and z chassis.

Why is she worried about you driving a car that isn't even a sports car. Don't try and talk to her about horse power, because like most moms, they know very little if any about it.

Show her the mpg sheet, and insurace quotes; insurace doesn't think it's a sports car.

That's what will impress her, not trying to pass the car off like it sucks. Becuase in her reply she would say, "What makes this car so special if you make it sound like trash?"

Ninjabread
10-06-2006, 09:33 PM
but if you need your mommy's approval to get a 240 than you're not ready for one.

It's not so much getting her to approve it, im just trying to convince her that the 240 is not some ungodly ferrari like sports car.

But thanks guys hopefully this will ease her mind.

Phlip
10-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Show her a few drift videos and let her hear some soudclips of blowoff valves and all that goodness, if she is not sold on that, then NOTHING will get her.

RiversideS13
10-06-2006, 09:51 PM
see if you can pull the insurance rate and compare it to integra, accord and lexus IS300(freaking expensive). and tell her that those insurance company know what car is safe and what is not. just present the bias view to her....

TheSquidd
10-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Show her a few drift videos and let her hear some soudclips of blowoff valves and all that goodness, if she is not sold on that, then NOTHING will get her.

http://www.gypsyqueen.dk/gqforum/images/smiles/rofl.gif

Wei240
10-07-2006, 01:41 AM

HAHAHA, best reason yet

Hussar1
10-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Well ...

Insurance for me would be 450 a month so you will get ass raped by those bastards. unless you put it on moms and be the second driver it should be alot cheeper, you live in Ontario so you will get screwed on the insurance no matter what you buy.... might as well buy and pay for what you want.

.. doe sshe know the 240 is RWD ?.... if not keep that to yourself.

94cc0rd
10-07-2006, 01:49 AM
well if your looking to get an s13 then you could just get liability only... i'm not familiar with the laws regarding insurance or whatever but in socal, the minimum is liability only and thats what i have since i'm paying for my own insurance.

Hussar1
10-07-2006, 01:51 AM
well if your looking to get an s13 then you could just get liability only... i'm not familiar with the laws regarding insurance or whatever but in socal, the minimum is liability only and thats what i have since i'm paying for my own insurance.

Well let me explein...

insurance in USA is $120 for Car A ..... in ontario its $400 for Car A

projekt_s13
10-07-2006, 02:03 AM
wait.. dont they have sr20 and ca18's in canada? So this about it having a truck engine doesnt apply.

95zilvia
10-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Pics please...

SochBAT
10-07-2006, 04:57 AM
Seriously, these Probes are hella safe!

[img src = "http://www.bodykit.lv/cars/ford/main.jpg">

If YOU can't afford a 240 yourself, good luck getting someone else to front you some pocket change. and if you can't afford a 240, good luck tryin to divy up money for repairs, cuz all 240s WILL have a problem. Kinda sucks.

TipStylez
10-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Buying a 240, should keep you busy.

How?

Your to busy working on the car, where you dont have time to do drugs, cause trouble, kick it with the wrong crowd ect.

Stuff like that.

ALTRNTV
10-07-2006, 07:05 AM
[img src = "http://www.bodykit.lv/cars/ford/main.jpg">

Myspace OWNS you Cheat, lol. Zilvia doesn't use HTML language such as > and ", also, no img src needed, hahahaha. Get off Myspace!

http://www.bodykit.lv/cars/ford/main.jpg

Ninjabread
10-07-2006, 07:31 AM
wait.. dont they have sr20 and ca18's in canada? So this about it having a truck engine doesnt apply.

In Canada, you can import cars that are more than 15 years old, so that implies that i could buy a 180sx from japan with a CA or a SR, but our 240sx' have the same old KA motor as you guys. Few difference for the s13's is that they all have manual seat belts, they have foglights where your vent thingies are and all our 91-later 240's have LSD's. The biggest difference, however, is that most our cars (on the east coast) have a little thing called rust, and there is usually lots of it, so it's hard to find a clean s13 for cheap around here.

P4rD0nM3
10-07-2006, 09:33 AM
So did you show your mom this thread?

EchoOfSilence
10-07-2006, 10:21 AM
nope, i wouldn't recommend it. if you want a bunch of headaches and you're strapped for cash w/ little or no mechanical experience, then be prepared for a major let downs and frustrations.

unless you're willing to learn.... then go for it. but talk is always cheap.

nsn240
10-07-2006, 02:16 PM
They are good cars, insurance is cheap, KA's are probably one of the most 'beat-able' motors around, from what i've seen you can kick the shit out of them and they keep on taking more. Plus good mileage and still a good handling "sporty" car to drive around. You could also try the "all my friends are doing it!" "Its the cool thing to do!" haha

good luck man

Ninjabread
10-07-2006, 09:50 PM
So did you show your mom this thread?

Not directly, but i gave her a few of your responses and she seems convinced... i guess time will tell. Now its back to looking around for one.

JVD
10-07-2006, 10:03 PM
I didn't really read the whole thread Matt. Is this going to be a summer/winter car? Why no Silvia/180? Much better choice IMO. Better engine's, better chassis condition(for the most part), and lower KM's.

Ninjabread
10-07-2006, 10:30 PM
^^^because it sorta has to bea DD, and i dont want to ruin one of those nice cars. maybe i should get a pulsar GTi-R lol.. just kidding.. i heart 240's

s13silady
10-08-2006, 05:20 AM
any car could be bad for you. just cuz its labeled as a sports car doesnt mean its dangerous.

i ride a bike. a main saying is " Respect the bike, because its not going to respect you" and i think that saying applies to any vehicle you're operating.

a regular commute vehicle can be JUST AS dangerous as a so called "sports car"

i dont even think a 240sx should be labeled a sports car. lol.. my 240 wouldnt get me the same amount of chicks a lambhorgini(sp?) can.
;)

ONYX S-13
10-09-2006, 09:15 AM
Well ...

Insurance for me would be 450 a month so you will get ass raped by those bastards.

=O=O=O

Dude you must have a crazy amount of tickets or something.. I'm only paying 55 a month for my '03 Kia and my '90 240.. With the 240 by itself it would be around 30 a month to insure (Liability of course).. That 450 is month then my premium !!! =O

P4rD0nM3
10-09-2006, 02:40 PM
Hell yeah, your insurance is like way up there. $450 a month? Damn...what kind of car do you have?

kerosinek
10-09-2006, 03:56 PM
He is in canada, as he already stated. Both of you get an "A+" for reading the whole thread....

Anyways, 240's are not very hard to work on, so with a little know how you should be alright. Also, the KA is a "Hemi" (IDK why this is important) Tell her that KA's run well into the 200K mile mark and still run as long as they are taken care of.

Ninjabread
10-09-2006, 04:01 PM
In reference to the insurance thing.. I don't know what company you are with but you should leave them now. I contacted BelairDirect and im around 200 a month. Its doable.

s13silvia03
10-09-2006, 04:18 PM
240's are a pain in the ass....Don't know why anyone buys them.....

ONYX S-13
10-09-2006, 04:46 PM
He is in canada, as he already stated. Both of you get an "A+" for reading the whole thread.....

I did read the whole thread.. you are right.. Still doesn't answer why insurance would be 5x's as much just cause an imaginary life the devides one country from another.. Even if it's full coverage it shouldn't be more then 100 a month (Especially for sohc models)... Hence the reason why i said what i said in my original post.

I'm not joking cause I'd really like to know why it's that much.. Canada didn't get a different car then what we got here so nothing should really justify the price jump, unless it's all on his fault for doing irresponsible stuff (D.U.I/ hit and run/etc) in the past.

Yuri
10-09-2006, 05:57 PM
It's those usdm auto seatbelts that make the difference!:Owned:

actually I think those stupid things save me 3 cents per month.

Ninjabread
10-09-2006, 06:52 PM
hey, you changed your name! there is a 99% chance im buying this car (link) anyone want CDM sicdeskirts and valence, i hate em! foglights might go for sale too.

clicky (http://www.son240sx.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28321)

Phlip
10-09-2006, 07:51 PM
I did read the whole thread.. you are right.. Still doesn't answer why insurance would be 5x's as much just cause an imaginary life the devides one country from another.. Even if it's full coverage it shouldn't be more then 100 a month (Especially for sohc models)... Hence the reason why i said what i said in my original post.

I'm not joking cause I'd really like to know why it's that much.. Canada didn't get a different car then what we got here so nothing should really justify the price jump, unless it's all on his fault for doing irresponsible stuff (D.U.I/ hit and run/etc) in the past.
I am paying about 195-ish a month for an 89 with a DUI that will be on my record for (thank fucking goodness) 5 more months, and at age 27 and driving since 16, I expect to be paying about PEANUTS for insurance when that day comes.

kerosinek
10-09-2006, 08:19 PM
LOL at the ricey exhaust tip on that 240.

Phlip
10-09-2006, 08:29 PM
hey, you changed your name! there is a 99% chance im buying this car (link) anyone want CDM sicdeskirts and valence, i hate em! foglights might go for sale too.

PM me IF you buy the car

drift freaq
10-09-2006, 08:39 PM
any car could be bad for you. just cuz its labeled as a sports car doesnt mean its dangerous.

i ride a bike. a main saying is " Respect the bike, because its not going to respect you" and i think that saying applies to any vehicle you're operating.

a regular commute vehicle can be JUST AS dangerous as a so called "sports car"

i dont even think a 240sx should be labeled a sports car. lol.. my 240 wouldnt get me the same amount of chicks a lambhorgini(sp?) can.
;)

LOL Lambo's are not sports cars. They are Super Cars and are actually more in the Sports GT Class. A S13/240sx Fastback is actually closer to the definition of a Sports car than the Lambo is. In fact it has most of the entry level requirments of a entry level sports car. Your just stuck on the fact that Nissan U.S.A. marketed it as a Sports econo car for insurance reasons and for fear of it overshadowing the 300zx . In Japan the 180sx was and is a sports car. Do not let any American idiots tell you otherwise.

Zetto*
10-09-2006, 09:36 PM
In reference to the insurance thing.. I don't know what company you are with but you should leave them now. I contacted BelairDirect and im around 200 a month. Its doable.
That is hella expensive. I only pay about $116 a month.

ManoNegra
10-10-2006, 10:13 AM

Clean OEM aero and you gonna trash it.... :loco:

mr_240sx
10-11-2006, 10:43 PM
hey MAtt, well if you need any help just let me know on msn. even though im on crutches i can still help you. btw that car is clean for cars in this area. anyways if you got any problems with it, just stop by my place and ill fix it up! BTW you should get a 92-95 civic hatch instead, they are much faster and more pimp! lol jj

Ninjabread
10-12-2006, 03:20 PM
^^Actually, one of the main points that convinced my mom was when i told her that insurance on a civic would be more, and it would cost more to fix in general... Woot Belair Direct = sweet = 150$ a month for a 17 year old with just a year of driving experience.

wingsnthangs
10-13-2006, 02:51 AM
Moms love safety.

For 91-93 240SX, NHTSA rated driver side impact a 5/5 and passenger side impact 4/5. Automatic seatbelts with lifetime warranty too. Downside: no airbags.

Ninjabread
10-13-2006, 02:02 PM
no auto seatbelts in canadian model FTW... i ALWAYS buckle up though, it would seem stupid not to.

slow92_s13
10-13-2006, 03:49 PM
tell ur mom that 240's get hot sluts that like anal sex and shit....they really do.

!Zar!
10-13-2006, 04:05 PM
tell ur mom that 240's get hot sluts that like anal sex and shit....they really do.
Wow, that was a waste if a post.

Funny what horny kids type when they are on the computer alone.

tchenku
10-13-2006, 04:35 PM
i've had my 240 for 5 years and i'm still waiting for anal action! :(

meteorite_flo
10-14-2006, 07:17 PM
i've had my 240 for 5 years and i'm still waiting for anal action! :(

you just got out of prison or something?

ONYX S-13
10-16-2006, 08:55 AM
bwah ha ha ha.. YOu guys crack me up... That'll be funny if his mom did accidentally see this thread.. LOL

Ninjabread
10-16-2006, 02:13 PM
nah its alright she got the idea... ill post up some pics (in the pics thread) when i get my car saturday!

91CRXsiR
10-20-2006, 11:58 AM
i slammed into a mountain going 50MPH+
walked away w/o a stratch ...
car was totalled tho...
BOOM .. there you go.. safety

koukikat180sx
10-20-2006, 02:33 PM
congrats on convincing your mom to let you get the car and on getting the car itself! :)

Ninjabread
10-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Yea im sycked! Driving 6hours to get it tomorow, cant freaking wait.

S14zenkiQ's
10-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Definetely post pics when you get it.

Ninjabread
10-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Just got back home from a long ass drive. I'll post some pics later in the pic thread to stay within the regulations.

azndummie
10-21-2006, 08:16 PM
tell her that a 240sx is slower than a hatchback civic