PDA

View Full Version : Any of you make/record your own music?

ALTRNTV
10-02-2006, 11:59 PM
I wanted to know if any one of you make/record your own music, such as a band or a group. If so, what equipment do you have, such as computer programs, mixers, speakers, mics, etc.

surukis14
10-03-2006, 12:03 AM
CED 2.0, Sony MDR 7506 headphones, MXL 2001 condenser mic, mic200 behringer amp. yeah its half ass shit. too bad i rather spend money on my car. haha

ALTRNTV
10-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Me and my friends have a little R&B group but our current equipment sucks, and for us to get better sounding music/vocals, we're going to need to buy better equipment. So far I only have computer programs such as Fruity Loops Studio 5, Cakewalk Audio, and Acid PRO 6. I just want to know a bit of what others have, so I have a good understanding of what to get, and also, how much each component is.

Plans have been set for us to build a soundproof booth in my friend's garage, nothing too fancy, something that will work.

A Spec Products
10-03-2006, 01:42 AM
This thread is worthless without said recorded music.

Let's hear it g!

ALTRNTV
10-03-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread is worthless without said recorded music.

Let's hear it g!

TTIWWSRM

That's a new one Logan, lol. I don't want to put any samples out there until we get some good equipment, until then, it sounds like ass.

A Spec Products
10-03-2006, 02:40 AM
TTIWWSRM

That's a new one Logan, lol. I don't want to put any samples out there until we get some good equipment, until then, it sounds like ass.

Grimey R&B, let's hear it.

Str8 guttah.

Record in the basement with the mattress walls.

Casio keyboard with the bossa nova samples on it hooked up to the 4 track.

Dooo it.

nistech
10-03-2006, 02:45 AM
i ve recorded stuff with acoustic lab multitrack recorder

Phlip
10-03-2006, 05:55 AM
My software is as follows:

Cakewalk Sonar 5, Porducer Edition
FL Studio 5 (formerly known as Fruity Loops)
Sony Soundforge 8.0
Steinberg Cubase SX 2.2 (there are later versions, but I got it last year)
Steinberg Wavelab 5 (cool as shit because you can filter, compress and mix/master from here, hell you can even add a score to a movie)

... I have found Steinberg to have the steepest learning curve, but that is the price paid for having the fullest range of features and being able to accept shit from all the other programs. It also costs the most of all I listed, you know, for people that pay for that kinda thing.
All can be controlled through your computer keyboard or a regular keyboard that you can sync to the computer with USB, but I use this guy for the beats:
http://www.akaipro.com/prodMPD16.php
... and I continue to fight my keyboard for the melodies until I can afford a real keyboard.

Replicant_S14
10-03-2006, 09:13 AM
I use to. I had a very cool vintage Slingerland drumset with a lot of extra stuff like a double kick, 2 rides, 2 hi-hats, crashes, splashes etc. My pothead nephew has most of the set for now. One day, when he pisses me off enough, I'll kill him and take it all back. I also have a Fender Precision bass with DiMarzio PJ set up and Hipshot tuners. I don't really play much anymore but I have a friend in the business that's trying to suck me back in so, we'll see....

program schmogram :D

HyperTek
10-03-2006, 11:44 AM
ive used fl studio and reason..

i like the ease of fl studio

just gotta record your vocals on a seperate track with no music etc.. then paste it on.

eXpLoSiVe
10-03-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm currently working with:

(Computer) PowerMac Duel G4 <3 Macs
(Program) Logic Pro 7
(Mixer) Tascam DM-3200
(Preamp)PreSonus DigiMax 96k
(Monitors) Dynaudio BM 5A
(Mic) AKG C 414 B -XL II for the voice recording
(Drum Mic) Shure PGDMK6-XLR
MusicMan StingRay 5-String Bass
Frender Telecaster
Line6 POD xt Live
Kurezwell PC2
And a bunch of other minor things but yeah thats the good stuff.

I work with all kinds of music but mostly contemporary Christian praise/rock/alternative/ect. A few friends I know have worked on some metal and hardcore music.

I love music in general, I don't really subscribe to "You're punk so you have to listen to punk" crapola. I listen and record a little bit of everything.

S13E
10-03-2006, 02:52 PM
I use an Apple G4 and Athlon64 X2 PC, M-Audio Trigger Finger, Technics SL-1200 turntables, Shure Concorde Q-Berts Cartriges, Numark PPD-01 digital mixer, Serato Scratch Live, Yamaha DX-100 synth, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, and Sony MDR-V700 headphones.

Software I use Ableton, FL Studio, and SAW Studio... would like to move over to Logic Pro 7 or Pro Tools when my ass could afford it.

PA used is Mackie SRM-450's and Mackie SWA1501 sub

Most of this stuff is more for ##### and giggles to "play" with in the bedroom "studio." I mainly DJ so I just take mackies, and 1200's with me. Or just my Serato to the club.

TiNMAN
10-03-2006, 05:54 PM
fl studio 6 and adobe audition(cool edit pro). a pair of KRK rokit5 monitors, yamaha mixer board, 1200s, rane56, maudio keystation49e and an akai mpc2000xl at home. and whatever mic+pre combos my homies bring over to record with. usually low-end stuff. if you're gonna get a pre get one with a tube in it. you can have a shitty mic and a good pre and still make it sound ok. oh and btw, im running a dell!!! :bite:

at school..........well...this would be a lot easier (http://expression.edu/sound_arts/)

shameless plug (http://www.myspace.com/urbansoundproductions)

drift freaq
10-03-2006, 06:17 PM
I would upload music here but some punk would rip it and give it to the world for free and I would lose out on my royalties. That said what kind of Music do you want me to write. I have written trip hop, hip hop, house , Jungle ( used to perform Live) Big Beat, Acid, Acid breaks, Rock, pop etc... basically I can be a hired gun.
Trained sound engineer, certificate in Pro Tools
Do you want me to list all the gear I have owned? that would take many pages.
I have stripped down from having a very large analog setup down to doing a lot of my work in the Box.
I am currently moving back out of the Box ( computer for those that don't know whats its called in the digital mixing world)
I am getting a
Tascam Control 24
RME Fireface 800 52 input interface
I own a Mac Intel Core duo 1.83 lap soon will have a Core 2 duo as well
(former computers were G4 aluminum laptop and G4 dual 450)
Logic Pro 7.4 (have been a Logic user since 2.5)
Kawaii K5000 additive synth
Yamaha FS1R Formant/FM rack synth.
Yamaha DMP7 digital mixer
KRK V8 Series II monitors
Auralex MoPAD monitor isolation decouplers
a mutltitude of soft synths and plugs ins. Including Sculpture, TC Electronics,
Huge sample library of old Analog synths I have owned
Prophet 5
Prophet VS
Prophet 600
Pro One
Roland modular
EMU modular
Novation Bass station
Virus
Waldorf
Yamaha Ry30 (drum machine)
Sequintal Circuits Drum Traks

various moogs etc....

Farzam
10-04-2006, 09:59 AM
I just record with my friend. Recording studios aren't that much, just depends on where you go.

ALTRNTV
10-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. I'm researching around for the stuff you guys said.

I just record with my friend. Recording studios aren't that much, just depends on where you go.

True, but we'd rather build our own booth and buy our own equipment. We look at it as an investment, rather than an expense.

TiNMAN
10-05-2006, 01:58 AM
yea....in norcal the prices are as low as $20/HR. mixed only not mastered. but shit, when i get studio time at school ill record your whole album. seriously.

ALTRNTV
10-24-2006, 01:10 AM
Any of you have experience with Adobe Audition or Acid Pro? Alot of people I talk to use those, so I think I'll go with Acid Pro, since I kow how to use it already. Insights?

A Spec Products
10-24-2006, 01:34 AM
DROP SOME BEATS ALREADY!

drop beats not bombsssssss

i want to hear some MUSIC

less talk mo play!

ALTRNTV
10-24-2006, 02:44 AM
Logan, I know you've been itching to hear me sing. ;) Be patient. Hahaha

We're gonna record a little something something within the next two weeks, but acapella, and it'll probably be unedited. If not, I'll just record something myself and post it up or something. No promises though. :bigok: