PDA

View Full Version : Which amber bulbs are you using on your S14 Zenki corner parking lights?

chuonthis
09-29-2006, 11:17 AM
When I first got my car (S14 Zenki), both corner lights didn't turn on so I went to Kragen's to pick up some 168/194 bulbs. I didn't think of getting amber ones so I just got the "regular" Sylvania ones. When I put them on, they didn't match the headlights and weren't amber...something in between (read: ugly). So I decided to get some amber bulbs and got some Sylvania 194NA bulbs. Put them on and noticed that the bulb only shines straight ahead. So from straight on, it looks awesome. But from the side, you can see that half of the corner lens is not lit up so it's a dull amber.

So my question is, which bulbs are you guys using? I looked on eBay and saw a bunch of "wide-angle" or "double brightness" 194 amber bulbs but wasn't sure if they would be any better than what I have. I'm not sure but maybe the light is blocked inside the housing so I can't even light the whole thing up? Might have to take a closer look at it later.

Thanks for the help.

chmercer
09-29-2006, 11:25 AM
the zenki corner lights are parking lights and they are not supposed to be amber?

chuonthis
09-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Sorry, I don't understand your post. Are you saying that it's illegal to have amber parking lights? Or are you saying that it's illegal to not have them amber? What are the rules anyway? I found this page http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html but it doesn't say anything about parking light bulb colors. Thanks for the help.

chmercer
09-29-2006, 12:06 PM
no i mean nobody is going to care if you put orange bulbs but i was just wondering why you would want to?

i thought you were expecting them to be amber, but they were white, so you changed the bulbs. so i was just making sure you knew they are supposed to be white.

Yuri
09-29-2006, 12:14 PM
While we're on the subject, what does the jdm kouki S14 use for bulbs in the bumper lights. They appear to be smaller holes, so a pair of 194's per lens?
I modified the inboard housings to take the S13 signal bulbs, but would like to know what they're supposed to take. Thanks.

Phlip
09-29-2006, 12:22 PM
no i mean nobody is going to care if you put orange bulbs but i was just wondering why you would want to?

i thought you were expecting them to be amber, but they were white, so you changed the bulbs. so i was just making sure you knew they are supposed to be white.
You're spot on, I think... I think his issue is that he HAD white bulbs in there, but the white was different from that of the forward-facing headlights, and he found this to not be aesthetically pleasing. In such, he decided to shoot for the amber bulbs, but is now not happy because the amber doesn't make the whole corner glow amber like the old bulbs did with the mismatching white.

I replaced my corner bulbs with amber ones when I had my S14, but this was done WELL over 4 years ago, and I drink entirely too much to remember the bulbs I used when I did it, but that I had no such issue...
If I am wrong about what the thread starter is asking here, then I will need for him to explain it a little better, and possibly accompany his question with before/after pics.

chuonthis
09-29-2006, 12:48 PM
chmercer, thanks for the clarification. I actually wasn't sure what the OEM color was. Are they *supposed* to match the headlight color?

PHLIP, you've interpreted my post correctly in its entirety. I'll try to post some before and after pictures for future reference in case someone else runs into the same problem.

I'd just buy a bunch of the different bulbs to see which ones look best but eBay shipping is a rip off. Anyone know of a place in SoCal (the OC) that has an assortment of 194 bulbs that I can either play with or just buy. I went to Super Autobacs yesterday and only saw the Sylvania 194NA bulbs that I have. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough?

Thanks again for all the help.

Brian
09-29-2006, 01:47 PM
I have some fucking boss amber LEDs in there.
Super bright and ... boss.
Don't front and don't let me catch you slippin'
Holla back atcha boiiiiii

projectRDM
09-29-2006, 02:58 PM
There's no way a 3.8watt bulb will ever match a 55watt halogen bulb. Get that out of your head right now.

The OE size is a 194, you can put a 921 bulb in (21watt) and increase the brightness by a good deal but you'll never 'match' the headlight. Putting an amber/orange bulb in place just looks like shit, no matter how bright it is. The lens is clear for a reason, keep it that way.

95Blue240sx
09-29-2006, 03:39 PM
I always thought that they reduced the voltage going to the corner lamps because they were always a cool smoked looking color with clear bulbs. Although I could be wrong, because I have never measured the voltage and I like the color i get with the clear bulbs.

Also while on the subject you should note that with LED 194 bulbs you won't get the coverage of a regular 194. The beam the an LED emmitts isn't as wide spread as a normal bulb, even if it has 4 LEDs. It might be brighter strait on, but not at all angles.

Brian
09-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Guess who does not give a shit?
me.

And for the record, I use amber bulbs in the corner light because I changed them into my turn signals and hazards. So, that makes sense right?
Oh but my turn signals don't work for some reason so...
I'm from California, I lose.

Russ please advice - What would one use if they had Tomei orange corner light covers?
Sincerely, Orange Crush

2iv0 sx
09-29-2006, 04:06 PM
where you get your LED bulbs from?

paint your corner lights FTW
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2537/p1010057no6.jpg

Brian
09-29-2006, 04:10 PM
I found some 4 bulbed LEDs from autozone.
They rule.

Don't worry though, I'm getting Japanese headlights soon, so people can bitch at me more.

95Blue240sx
09-29-2006, 06:35 PM
^^^whats with the attitude? no one is bitching here so chill out.

The ones i used were made by autometer. APC makes them as well, you can also check ebay for pretty much anything like that.

SwiftS14
09-29-2006, 06:47 PM
http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

Im using Singel LED wedge base bulbs 194, because it has a inverted cone clear lens that causes the light to emit from the sides as well as the end for my corners in my S14 Kouki, Zenki should be the same. or you could try the more expensive
WLED-x5 LED that has 4 radially mounted 3mm LEDs emit most of the light from the sides of the bulbs and 1 High Flux LED emits from the end of the bulbs.

Singel LED one work great for me and its only $ 0.79 for amber.

2iv0 sx
09-30-2006, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the link! I was searching for that site, just forgot what it was called... (dur)

projectRDM
09-30-2006, 07:19 AM
Guess who does not give a shit?
me.

And for the record, I use amber bulbs in the corner light because I changed them into my turn signals and hazards. So, that makes sense right?
Oh but my turn signals don't work for some reason so...
I'm from California, I lose.

Russ please advice - What would one use if they had Tomei orange corner light covers?
Sincerely, Orange Crush

I'd still use 921s, they're brighter.

I always thought that they reduced the voltage going to the corner lamps because they were always a cool smoked looking color with clear bulbs. Although I could be wrong, because I have never measured the voltage and I like the color i get with the clear bulbs.

Huh? Wattage, not voltage. 194s are very low output bulbs since they're just used for a parking light. The 921 is a 3rd brakelight bulb for some Fords/GMs so it's brighter, hence it being a higher wattage bulb.

SimpleS14
09-30-2006, 10:12 PM
G.E.

194NAXL

The best amber 194 bulbs you can find...last long and a rich dark amber color.

The only catch....they are hard to find.

95Blue240sx
10-01-2006, 12:05 AM
XL = xtra life

CEC and sylvania use that on their bulbs all the time.

chuonthis
10-01-2006, 03:55 AM
Here are some pictures:

Original Sylvania 194 bulbs I got:
http://www.chuonthis.com/gallery/d/207-2/20060930-side_194.jpg

Sylvania 194NA bulbs:
http://www.chuonthis.com/gallery/d/213-2/20060930-side_194na.jpg

Sylvania 921 bulbs:
http://www.chuonthis.com/gallery/d/219-2/20060930-side_921.jpg

Full shot of 921 bulbs:
http://www.chuonthis.com/gallery/d/225-2/20060930-full_side_921.jpg

I'm using the 921s now because you can see the least of the "missing" part and because they are closer in whiteness to the main headlights. I took a closer look at the housing and it just looks like the bulb just can't shine in that area. I'll see if I can get some inverted LEDs and/or GE 194NAs to try out.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

ThatGuy
10-01-2006, 07:00 AM
921s looks fine to me. I don't understand your problem. They look like they are lighting up the proper area and the color match is close enough.

95Blue240sx
10-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I like the first pic. Thats how mine are now and i dont think ill change them.

chuonthis
10-01-2006, 01:18 PM
So everyone else doesn't have any light on the back 1/3 of the lens? Doesn't that look wrong?

ThatGuy
10-01-2006, 01:22 PM
It's how the light was made by Nissan. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, or in this case the light, and frustrate yourself for something most people won't look twice at. :bow:

SimpleS14
10-02-2006, 05:30 PM
XL = xtra life

CEC and sylvania use that on their bulbs all the time.

Actually there is a difference between the G.E. 194NA and the 194NAXL. The 194NAXL has a darker amber tint, which looks much better than the Sylvania 194NA you see pictured above.

When I get time I will take a pic.

Azzazzyn
10-03-2006, 12:31 PM
where you get your LED bulbs from?

paint your corner lights FTW
http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2537/p1010057no6.jpg
that car is gorgeous, I hope mne will look as secks as that once i get her body back to normal. I painted my corners too, love the look.