PDA

View Full Version : What is the highest level of education you completed?

g6civcx
09-22-2006, 06:53 AM
I'm curious to see what the Zilvia demographics looks like. Your responses are anonymous.

If you would like, you can also post your majors and/or areas of study in the thread.

ThatGuy
09-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Some college. Uncle Sam is helping to provide me more, so that when I someday leave this fine establishment, I'll have a degree to assist me in my retirement years. :bow:

mrmephistopheles
09-22-2006, 05:59 PM
I dun got me summa that thar ellymentry skoolin'.
Paw sed i downt nead no moar'n that.

charlie a.k.a. chuck
09-22-2006, 06:04 PM
I just started tech school.

WILDACEX187
09-22-2006, 06:19 PM
got an associate and finishing up my bachelors....very...slowly lol :(

240's"r"us
09-22-2006, 06:43 PM
im a freshy right now and i plan to procede on to collage

'90RPS13
09-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Just Diploma for now but I am going back to school this fall! Car comes first. *a

sky53line
09-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Im in my Junior year of High school, hope to graduate early around the end of first semester my Senior year and attend FGCU and probably major in somthing like buisness....ive even thought about some UTI

Drift Motion
09-22-2006, 10:10 PM
almost done with HS, so i voted completed HS

NemeGuero
09-23-2006, 11:17 AM
I've finished my BA in Economics from UC Santa Cruz, and in a little over a year, I'll have my BS in Mechanical Engineering.

MadScientist
09-23-2006, 11:32 AM
BS in Industrial Design... I'm freak'n 29 and still have a long way to go before I get to where I want to be... Formula One designer is harder than being a Doctor...:duh:

Peace
Drew

HKsilvia
09-23-2006, 07:11 PM
i was trying to click on none but accidentally hit college..:duh:
im uneducated:o
jk

g6civcx
09-23-2006, 07:16 PM
I just want to know who the PhD is :)

MOUNTAINGARAGE
09-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Associates in Network Administration, continuing my education in I.T

The company I work for cancelled tuition reimbursement 2 months after I started. They promised it will start again soon.....can't wait. Spent all of my Army college fund on beer....:D

wonder how many people on here are ase certified???

ThatGuy
09-23-2006, 08:28 PM

I can see everyone's votes. The individual in question did not post in the thread, he only voted in the poll. :bow:

ALTRNTV
09-23-2006, 08:36 PM

cc4usmc

Message length.

ThatGuy
09-23-2006, 08:39 PM
^Snitch!! :keke: :keke: :keke:

P4rD0nM3
09-24-2006, 03:55 AM
Lol. I've complete an Ass. in the Philippines. And then got s 3 year I.T. Major and now that I'm back here in CO, I'm taking Computer Science. Need money to pay off big ass loan on car.

NemeGuero
09-24-2006, 10:47 AM
I think all of us are making monies for our cars. And then after that, some of us are using the rest for our family. (like Barry, Kev, etc.)

usdm180sx
09-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Got my BA and did 1 year of law school. started slangin mortgages and realized that i didn't even need a high school education. The guy who sits right next to me made $70,000 last month. :D

Ghettokracker71
09-24-2006, 06:51 PM
vocational currently...for cosmetology but I wrecked my s13(no fault of my own) and had pins put in my knee, so no more hair cutting for me...

starting college spring semester I'm starting community college to get my associates in arts for theare..

and if you honestly would assume I am gay just b/c I cut hair and do theatre then you are an ignorant assuming fucktard (the hottest women in the world do hair,trsut me :naughty:)

DrtyRat
09-25-2006, 08:27 AM
You made the results public...I have a worthless AA but will be going back to school in a year to become emt/paramedic certified. Have to wait until my wife finishes her nuclear med. course :(

g6civcx
09-25-2006, 12:05 PM
You made the results public...

I did, didn't I? Dammi :duh: :smash: :axe: :Owned:

Sorry. I thought I clicked on anonymous responses.

drift freaq
09-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Well I have certificate in Automotive Engineering( De Anza Automotive tech (third best auto tech school in the country at the time). I also have a Certificate in Sound Engineering(California Recording Institute) as well as a Digidesign approved certificate in Pro Tools from Audiograph International. Now I know some of you may not know what Pro Tools is but must all recorded music these days and film and TV see a Pro Tools rig before you hear it.
I was not going to post after participating but decided what the hey. I am doing what I like to do in my life and making money at it. Music and Cars, hahhahhahha. Of course Japanese women too :D hehehehehehehehe

MomentumGT
09-25-2006, 04:32 PM
BS from UC Riverside, class of 04.

-Jon

trybal
09-25-2006, 09:21 PM
cc4usmc my ass.. i call B.S on the grounds that i know hes not

I just finished up my associates in digital video production.

Now my life should be starting

scottyb
09-25-2006, 09:29 PM
BS in Mechanical Engineering from UVA.

Scott

g6civcx
09-26-2006, 05:42 AM
BS in Mechanical Engineering from UVA.

Scott

UVa sucks! :axe:

Trust me, I know ;)

BS in Computer Science and Management, minor in math and women study :bite:

ALTRNTV
09-26-2006, 05:46 AM
Getting my BS in Administration of Justice and my BA in Psychology.

Neejay
09-26-2006, 12:49 PM
2 certificates, Associate's Degree in Computer Networking (although Im currently taking the last class of the program). And I'll continue to get a B.A.S. in Technology Management.

scottyb
09-27-2006, 12:32 AM
UVa sucks! :axe:

Trust me, I know ;)

BS in Computer Science and Management, minor in math and women study :bite:

Are you just a Hokie? :fawk:

Or are you one of the two people who had a bad experience at UVA? :eek2:

g6civcx
09-27-2006, 06:13 AM
I was the first and only one to be a SEAS and COMM double loser.

Silverbullet
09-27-2006, 08:39 AM
certificate in engineering drafting. Will have associates in Mech Engineering Tech in a few months.

Finishing Mech Engineering Tech BA degree next year.

I relaized i dont like engineering that much... i need to figure out what else to study after my BA lol.

scottyb
09-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I was the first and only one to be a SEAS and COMM double loser.

Maybe you just worked too hard!:whip:

kingsol
09-27-2006, 11:20 PM
You guys think it actually matters if you have a BA/BS,
or if you went to a particular college (whether in the job field or higher schooling)?

bleachcola
09-27-2006, 11:37 PM
have my associates and working on my BBL

g6civcx
09-28-2006, 05:06 AM
Maybe you just worked too hard!:whip:

Always work as hard and as smart as you can. It's the land of opportunities ;)

You guys think it actually matters if you have a BA/BS,
or if you went to a particular college (whether in the job field or higher schooling)?

Yes, it's about what you know, and also who you know. Coming out of a good school will open yourself up to so many opportunities. Trust me.

kingsol
09-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Yes, it's about what you know, and also who you know. Coming out of a good school will open yourself up to so many opportunities. Trust me.

You really think so? I have friends graduating from top colleges who have been unemployed, actively sending out resumes and such, for about a year now. In the mean time, others without a degree, or graduates from lesser colleges, are picking up solid jobs fairly quickly without having to deal with the debt.

I'd chalk it up as random coincidence, but it being so common nowadays, i just dunno...
I'm just saying college is no longer the ticket it once used to be; or maybe it's just that I'm near midterms and being really negative about it all, ha.

g6civcx
09-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Trust me. Don't look at the deadbeats. Not having the right major from the right college will definitely hold you back from getting the break you need in your career.

Yes, Bill Gates is successful, but for one like him there are billions who don't make it. For one Einstein, there are billions others who don't know jack. If you're a genius, you don't need to go to school; you can teach the faculty at the school.

For the rest of us, we need schooling.

Open your eyes and see more than just the world around you. There are people so successful you don't even see them.

As for your friends, look at what I said above. It's important to get the degree because it's a check in the box, but it's also important to get the skills and network with people who know people.

Emerson is insightful, but Thoreau is more profound :)

scottyb
09-28-2006, 02:20 PM
I have to agree, its all about schooling and connections. I think you'll find that your friends without a college degree that have good jobs got them through hard work from the bottom or good connections. No one gets a good job just by walking in the door, it doesn't happen that way.

It also depends on what your definition of a "good" job is, if you're just thinking about money then a degree is essential. If you love to wrench on cars and don't mind making less in the end, then maybe college isn't for you, but a trade school would help.

BoLLeH
09-28-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm just curious, how were the upper division courses for mechanical engineering? My engineering counselor is an absolute dingaling and wouldn't help me out when I first started--I am about to finish up my lower division requirements and I am starting to feel that chemical engineering is not my major.

Actually, how did you feel when you had to take courses that just pissed you off? I'm confused and I don't know how the rest of the people in college deal with it.

One more question. =)) Isn't getting your foot in the door the hardest part in your career (open to all majors)?

kingsol
09-28-2006, 03:55 PM
The broader picture is really just a broad picture. Personal, real world, empirical evidence, however, has proven undergrad schooling to guarantee nothing but debt.

I think, though, above all, regardless of where one graduates, it's the major that truly determines prospective job opps. Really, the future picture looks dim with an English/Rhetoric degree--well, except for the law school option. There's nothing to bank on accept the my school's prestige, but that seems a bit weak don't you think?
But a degree in EECS or Comp. Sci. and I'd be golden.

Yes, but compared to Kierkegaard, both Thoreau and Emmerson are child's play:D

big_schaf
09-28-2006, 05:20 PM
just finished High school....and im going into post secondary next year!!(one year break!!)yee haha

g6civcx
09-28-2006, 05:34 PM
I agree that school isn't for everyone. If you're just not getting it you're better off doing something else. School is hard. No doubt about it.

But just because you don't like something or aren't good at it doesn't mean it's not worth doing. It really depends on the person.

When I interview new employees, I look for school, major, background, work experience, professionalism, attitude, and a bunch of other things. I don't do HR-type interviews where it's just checks in boxes. I interviewed over 100 candidates from college kids to senior managers.

It really comes down to who's hiring you. I try to be as well-rounded as possible in critiquing somebody for a job. I can't speak for others, but ultimately it comes down to if I'm comfortable working with the person and have them cover my back.

I also think it's extremely helpful if you have a diverse background and understanding of different things. Your background will help you understand why people do what they do, and that will help you be more successful.

scottyb
09-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I'm just curious, how were the upper division courses for mechanical engineering? My engineering counselor is an absolute dingaling and wouldn't help me out when I first started--I am about to finish up my lower division requirements and I am starting to feel that chemical engineering is not my major.

Actually, how did you feel when you had to take courses that just pissed you off? I'm confused and I don't know how the rest of the people in college deal with it.

One more question. =)) Isn't getting your foot in the door the hardest part in your career (open to all majors)?

Bolleh, I got frustrated w/ mechanical eng. in the last 2 years of school. I think it takes persistence to do well in any type of engineering major and they are all hard in their own ways, I believe you should pick a major that comes more naturally to you or you are interested in learning or will lead to a career that you enjoy. It's probably not too late for you to switch to another eng. major.

The way to get through a course that you don't like is to study with someone who does like it. Make it a point to set up regular times to study with them so that you can't be a slacker and blow off studying just because you don't like the material.

Yes, getting your foot in the door is one of the hardest parts of life, but this is where talking to people and making connections comes in to play. Start early, make friends with professors and people in your industry who can help you get jobs.

initial s14
09-29-2006, 12:02 AM
desktop publishing for me with minor in telecommunication. All majors taken now I am taking all my GEDs.. kinda stupid because when I get done with it. what ever i learned from my major will be obsolete.

dookie
09-30-2006, 09:51 AM
I am a mechanical engr major and sometimes I wish I wasnt, it gets hard and frustrating sometimes, especially not being able to work alot along with going to school. Buying shit for my car and going to drift events is a luxury for me, I can only do it so often.

TurDz
10-01-2006, 03:04 PM
I also felt the same way getting my BS in Mech. Engineering. It got so tough sometimes, and the material could really seem "out there" or extremely boring. I was lazy for my first couple of years but I realized this is an opportunity I can't just give up on, so I caught myself and started working a bit harder.

Here I am now, a BS in ME, unemployed for a few months since graduating. The feeling of being back at home and unemployed sucks, but it gives you time to think about what your real priorities are. Hopefully I can land a job soon.

A degree from a college helps to get an interview, since many places require it as a base credential. Other than that, I can really say it helps in the following categories:

1) Networking (on-campus interviews, job fairs, etc.)
2) Focus (you become devoted to finding a job in that field)
3) Confidence (you went through a good amount of hell getting it, you should be proud)
4) Struture & Planning (college requires you to set many goals, and in general, internships during summer is the norm)

A college degree doesn't help you with:

1) Taking initiative to start networking
2) Public speaking & people skills (#1 priority in job hunting)
3) Debt
4) Laziness

I'm working on the 4 items listed above :)

kuramaya
10-01-2006, 07:24 PM
High School Only

g6civcx
10-01-2006, 09:07 PM
A college degree doesn't help you with:

1) Taking initiative to start networking
2) Public speaking & people skills (#1 priority in job hunting)
3) Debt
4) Laziness

1) It depends on you. The opportunity is there. You have to make yourself do it. Nothing is going to make you do it if you don't want to.

2) I somewhat disagree with this one. Coming from a business major, it definitely helps with public speaking and people skills. Coming from an engineer, I know that some schools try and make their engineers do more of that stuff.

3) It's a financial decision. You make the investment to increase your earning potentials.

4) Definitely not for lazy people. You can get by but you won't be very successful.

mrmephistopheles
10-01-2006, 10:02 PM
High School Only

I call bullshit. :D
If you've had specialized training in the Corps, completed MCIs, etc, that is BEYOND high school.

TurDz
10-01-2006, 10:07 PM
2) I somewhat disagree with this one. Coming from a business major, it definitely helps with public speaking and people skills. Coming from an engineer, I know that some schools try and make their engineers do more of that stuff.

Yeah, business majors, and especially being in a business fraternity, helps you with public speaking & networking.

Coming from an engineering major, there is almost no time to practice speaking. I learned more about public speaking through YouTube videos than I did at school. I had one course that required one presentation, and my senior design project which required a few presentations.

I think the students who came after me were required to take a public speaking course, so I guess that's a start.

I guess the main point is the amount of effort you put in. Even with a degree behind you, if you're not trying to put yourself out there, you can't really get too far.

mistert
10-03-2006, 03:56 AM
i went to tech school at UTI. do not go to UTI.

in spring i am looking to start a bachelors in Manufacturing Engineering

docrice
10-03-2006, 08:06 AM
I already got my AAS in Nanofab and I'm finishing my senior year in Electronics Engineering Tech (BS)... It sucks though, a lot of employers look down on Engineering Tech degrees (esp. if you find out after your 2nd year that your program isnt accredited), but a lot of EE guys don't know how to do shit, just theory. They don't last very long when they actually have to do shit. My teachers just think up weird problems and say "hey, you have 2 weeks to make this work". Awful lot like the working world. Sorry, just a bit of ranting...

s13coupedrfter
10-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Graduated from Westwood College of Aviation Technology Los Angeles. Have my FAA aircraft airframe/powerplant mechanic's license. Been working in industry for about 6 years. Currently working for Northwest Airlines aircraft maintenance. Looking to get out due to industry in a toilet since 9/11

kuramaya
10-04-2006, 02:40 AM
I call bullshit. :D
If you've had specialized training in the Corps, completed MCIs, etc, that is BEYOND high school.

ha ha, 15 Years as a jarhead I have had plenty of service schools and stuff...but that wasnt a choice;)

g6civcx
10-04-2006, 06:25 AM
Yeah, business majors, and especially being in a business fraternity, helps you with public speaking & networking.

Coming from an engineering major, there is almost no time to practice speaking. I learned more about public speaking through YouTube videos than I did at school. I had one course that required one presentation, and my senior design project which required a few presentations.

I think the students who came after me were required to take a public speaking course, so I guess that's a start.

I guess the main point is the amount of effort you put in. Even with a degree behind you, if you're not trying to put yourself out there, you can't really get too far.

Public speaking is not easy to do. You need rigorous training to do it well. Some people do it naturally, but you can tell who have had communication and media training, and who have not. Former-President Clinton definitely had it. Current President Bush definitely has not had it.

Silverbullet
10-07-2006, 06:26 PM
There is alot of good information for someone whos about to graduate high school in this thread and i hope the ones that can apply to this information can take full advantage of it.

Here is some of my insight: In highschool, they always emphasize doing what you like to do as a career. What alot of people end up learning is doing something for a while will get borring, even if you thought you liked it. I know alot of my friends thought mechanical engineering was the coolest ever because it had to do with cars in certain fields. They end up learning that real engineering sucks. When choosing a major, I think it is important that you choose your major carfully basing on the basic skills used in the career field and its potential income rather than something you think will be fun. I have some friends that are in their mid 20s with little to no college education working fairly low income jobs for their age that are still trying to figure out what they they like. The truth behind it is not job is really fun. A job is to make money, not to directly provide pleasure. Part of being an adult is doing crap you dont want to do. People need to realize that. However, while not everything is fun, you can make it "fun" by setting goals and trying to meet them and such. Life itself is a big mental game. You can make it whatever you want it to be.

Juanit0
10-10-2006, 07:40 AM
i went to a tech school
now im going for a 4 year degree

scottyb
10-10-2006, 07:29 PM
i went to tech school at UTI. do not go to UTI.

I've got a friend who wants to go to UTI, whats wrong with it?

burgy240
10-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Stanford Grad.

24Zero
10-13-2006, 05:47 PM
I have a BS from UNA (Economics & Finance)

prsfan01
10-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Associates in Business Mang. Tech. Certificate in Culinary Arts.

Yeah, I cook......It impresses the ladies! lol

exitspeed
10-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Associates in Multi Media from ITT.

I want to get my BA, but it'll take forever with my schedule. Not sure what the H I'm gonna do.

spinitsidewayz
11-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Currently in community college taking GE's and some automotive. 18 units + work is kicking my ass! My original plan was to get a degree in Marine Transportation and become a Merchant Marine at Cal Maritime, although everything else in my life at the moment is holding me back.

reaxion
11-21-2006, 11:54 PM
2 years gen ed, business management major. may go back and finish...sooner rather than later.

UTI grad, currently employed at Infiniti.

g6civcx
11-22-2006, 05:15 PM
There is alot of good information for someone whos about to graduate high school in this thread and i hope the ones that can apply to this information can take full advantage of it.

Here is some of my insight: In highschool, they always emphasize doing what you like to do as a career. What alot of people end up learning is doing something for a while will get borring, even if you thought you liked it. I know alot of my friends thought mechanical engineering was the coolest ever because it had to do with cars in certain fields. They end up learning that real engineering sucks. When choosing a major, I think it is important that you choose your major carfully basing on the basic skills used in the career field and its potential income rather than something you think will be fun. I have some friends that are in their mid 20s with little to no college education working fairly low income jobs for their age that are still trying to figure out what they they like. The truth behind it is not job is really fun. A job is to make money, not to directly provide pleasure. Part of being an adult is doing crap you dont want to do. People need to realize that. However, while not everything is fun, you can make it "fun" by setting goals and trying to meet them and such. Life itself is a big mental game. You can make it whatever you want it to be.

I was really impressed with this post, especially from somebody his age. That's not easy to learn.

I'll add that the biggest thing is you have to realize that no matter what you do, there are going to be crap you'll have to put up with. That's just how the world works. You can thank all the stupid people we have for that.

So just because you do something you like, that doesn't mean you don't have to put up with other people's crap. Since you have to put up with crap any which way you go, why not get something actually pays worth a damn?

yfz460
11-22-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm still working on my senior year.... but then I plan on going to a local community college and become a certified technician and eventually go off to Universal Technical Institute in Norwood, Massachusetts (awesome campus btw).

scottyb
11-22-2006, 09:52 PM
I was really impressed with this post, especially from somebody his age. That's not easy to learn.

I'll add that the biggest thing is you have to realize that no matter what you do, there are going to be crap you'll have to put up with. That's just how the world works. You can thank all the stupid people we have for that.

So just because you do something you like, that doesn't mean you don't have to put up with other people's crap. Since you have to put up with crap any which way you go, why not get something actually pays worth a damn?

I have to disagree with some of this. Certainly no job is going to be fun all the time, you aren't going to find a job that pays you to do something you would do in your freetime. That is an unrealistic goal and I think highschool guidance councelors give that advice too often. A fun, realistic job is one that engages your brain in a way that you find interesting. Getting a job that makes you wake up all bushy tailed in the morning is a pipe dream.

Every job is going to suck in one way or another, you are going to have put up with crap you don't want to do every once in awhile. That doesn't mean that every job is the same crappyness so you should go for a career that pays the most.

Trust me, if you go for only the $$$$ you are going to be wanting to kill yourself very quickly. ALL of my friends who got investment banking jobs or consulting jobs right out of school that pay them $60-100k a year HATE their jobs.

Every time I go to my dentist he tells me how much he hates his job, but now that he's been in it for so long he can't do anything else, he is only a dentist and that's all he'll ever be. But guess what? He probably makes $200k+ a year and he still HATES his job.

My point, if you kiddies haven't picked it up yet, is find a field of study that engages your brain and leaves your options open for later. Personally, as an engineer, I know there are endless jobs that I can do, or I can go back to grad school and specialize in something else I find interesting. I know I would hate being a lawyer, doctor, teacher, consultant, banker, etc. I don't LOVE my job, but I find engineering interesting, and that's what counts.

One last example: I have a few teacher friends who really like their jobs, but they get paid absolute shit, and I guarantee you that they are WAY happier than my friends on Wall Street.

ranisron
11-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Indiana University Bloomington. B.S. in Business concentration in Acctg. and Ops mgt
Indiana University Bloomington. M.B.A with concentration in Acctg. and Finance.

To be honest, MBA level finance courses = undergrad finance courses with different packaging... too shallow IMO.

I work for the so called "Big 4" acctg. firm (that start with a K) right now since I went through 6 years of college + grad school all together at once... I am half way there with my CPA license (no, I don't do Tax, and I don't do Audit either). I was going back to Pittsburgh for the corp. job (which I really loved), but the deal went south so I ended up in Chicago :D, which is not too bad at all.

g6civcx
11-22-2006, 10:48 PM
No offense, but didn't you say you were unemployed?

I am 100% sure that if you asked all of your friends if they love all aspects of their job, you will get a resounding "no".

Every job has stupid things you have to deal with. The good things may outweigh the bad things, but there will always be bad things you have to deal with.

Those who don't think that don't have enough work experience. Teachers especially have to deal with bureaucratic crap. I really enjoy teaching, but there is also a bunch of politics that go on in the background. That stuff sucks all the energy out of you.

There are several dimensions in evaluating which job is better. Pay and "happiness" are just a couple of those dimensions. There are other considerations as well.

The one thing that sucks with all jobs is that stupid people hate it when you tell them they're wrong, even in the face of overwhelming evidence. I don't know how people in retail do it.

And KPMG can kiss my ass.

scottyb
11-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Yes, I was unemployed at the time because I was interviewing, but that doesn't mean I don't have enough work experience to bring some insight.

G6, I think we're on the same page, except that you seem to be telling people that because every job has SOME crap to deal with you might as well pick something that pays a lot of money. I don't think that's true; just as you said, there are some jobs where the good parts outweigh the bad, and those are the ones that you should look for.

I never made the statement that my friends who like their jobs are having a great time 100% of the time, they certainly have crappy things to deal with once in awhile, but I think they deal with shit a lot less often or the level of crappitude of the shit is less than what my friends who hate their jobs have to deal with.

And like you said, there are many considerations in finding a career, more than just money and how much shit you have to deal with. It just seems like you are telling people that these are the only things that matter.

g6civcx
11-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Yes, I was unemployed at the time because I was interviewing, but that doesn't mean I don't have enough work experience to bring some insight.

G6, I think we're on the same page, except that you seem to be telling people that because every job has SOME crap to deal with you might as well pick something that pays a lot of money. I don't think that's true; just as you said, there are some jobs where the good parts outweigh the bad, and those are the ones that you should look for.

I never made the statement that my friends who like their jobs are having a great time 100% of the time, they certainly have crappy things to deal with once in awhile, but I think they deal with shit a lot less often or the level of crappitude of the shit is less than what my friends who hate their jobs have to deal with.

And like you said, there are many considerations in finding a career, more than just money and how much shit you have to deal with. It just seems like you are telling people that these are the only things that matter.

I think we're talking about different things. A job is a temporary stepping stone towards a career.

But the sentiment is like going to college. You can do a good job and get it done in 3-4 years, or you can take the easy route and take 6-8 years. You'll have a better time, but you've wasted 2-5 years of your life that you could have been doing something else.

The purpose of a job is to get paid. If not, you're volunteering. The more money you can save, the earlier you can retire and really do the things you want.

Save as much as possible and be smart about your job/career. That's all I'm saying. You don't want to get stuck in a dream job, and when you retire you realized that you just wasted 20 years of your life.

The other attitude is you should enjoy as much as possible before you die. It's true, but life doesn't stop when you die. You should think of your family and friends who need help. If you splurge and die, nothing will come of your life. But if you try to be selfless and help some people along the way, that will be your legacy.

What I'm saying is I'm always pushing people to be more successful. You can be comfortable where you are, but truly successful people who are living up to their potentials are always struggling. If you're not struggling, you're not trying.

Be extraordinary in what you do. Don't be content to settle with a pathetic life because you're afraid to try.

Bullshit are everywhere. I mean browse through Zilvia and you'll see :rant2: That's the world we live in.

bamaboy
11-24-2006, 05:00 PM
I think opinions about being happy with your job are as diverse as the culture we are part of. Some people find happiness is just doing a good job at what ever they do. I myself love my job now. I would never have thought I would be in middle management with a very large energy company. I didn't set out to work in this industry it just came along at the right time. I wasn't even going to college until I started in my field and decided I wanted to learn more about it.
I think the most important thing is similar to what was said above, find something that is stimulating and doesn't make you bored everyday, then set goals as to where you want your career to go in the next year, 5 years, 10 years.....and so on, then do your best to be sucessful at whatever you are doing. I think most people end up doing something they never thought they would do. You have to find your comfort zone where you can apply whatever talents you have to what it is you are doing. The most important thing in any career to me is taking pride in what you do and making sure that everything you are a part of is a reflection of your abilities, because no matter what, you are judged in the business world by your successes and failures and that will dictate your promotability, your compensation, and ultimately when and if you are able to retire.

azndummie
11-30-2006, 01:09 AM
im going for my OD so ill see you guys in 8 years

deadpirate
12-14-2006, 04:42 PM
going for my BA in science of the arts aka: film degree
in the final stretch, if all goes well, i will graduate in october 07. started in august 04

Vlasic
12-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Attending CCSF right now, plan to transfer to UC in a year.

jrocslider
12-24-2006, 06:13 PM
attending school right now for my associates in airframe and powerplant tech. workin on planes

ThomasJamal
01-21-2007, 10:01 PM
I have a Bachelors and now I'm half way through a masters...

Kaotik25
02-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Just finished my bachelor's of science from Berkeley. Applying for Master of Engineering.

Silverbullet
02-04-2007, 06:37 PM
whats the difference in getting a Masters of Engineering degree versus a getting a FE, and PE cert after Bachelors?

+
i been looking into MBA recently and i have a pretty noob question about it because i really dont know who to ask: Do you need a bachelors in business before you do the program or does your GMAT score say it all?

240giiiirrrrl
02-21-2007, 07:03 PM
i go to LA harbor college...trying to get into the nursing program so i could start making that green!

g6civcx
02-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Do you need a bachelors in business before you do the program or does your GMAT score say it all?

I got you. No, you do not need an undergraduate degree to apply to an MBA program.

Just be warned that I don't advise getting an MBA unless you go to a top 10school (Dartmouth, Columbia, Harvard, Cornell, Wharton, Yale, Darden, Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford, etc.) because the market is very saturated with MBA's from second and third tier schools.

You can get an MBA from Strayer College night school as well, but it won't be worth anywhere near one from an Ivy League school.

I strongly recommend you go for the best, or save your time/money and get more good work experience.