PDA

View Full Version : Watching NASCAR Kills Six People Per Weekend

HyperTek
09-17-2006, 07:13 PM
The Fire Department of New York came out with this neat little statistic yesterday: On average, six people die per weekend at a NASCAR race event. Six people per weekend! Six people DIE, on AVERAGE. What the hell goes on at these things? Do they let Ted Kennedy drive one of the cars? Are there ritual sacrifices made to Dale Earnhardt shrines every week?

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around that number. The FDNY people say that they came up with it through interviews with other fire departments in other NASCAR cities, interviews they conducted in doing research for building a race track in Staten Island. The deaths are attributed to a number of things, including heart attacks, car accidents in and around the tracks, and various other injuries.

Six per weekend. Wow. You could get 80,000 nursing home residents together at one place, and there will still probably be fewer than six of them dying per weekend. Please be careful out there, NASCAR fans. And commenters, I don't want to hear anything about this being "natural selection." That would be misguided, insensitive, and not very nice.

FDNY: 6 die on typical NASCAR weekend [Staten Island Advance]

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nascar/watching-nascar-kills-six-people-per-weekend-and-no-its-not-of-boredom-199572.php

Cash
09-17-2006, 08:09 PM
I wonder how many people died in and around the theater after watching the fast and the furious movies.

mjjstang
09-17-2006, 08:52 PM
that is a neat little statistic, but does make sense when you think it is the most spectated sport and when you figure heart attacks and all that, it makes sense.

WilloW
09-17-2006, 09:19 PM
From my point of view, spectator sport = lots of drunken idiots = laps of roundy round on the freeway interchange = statistic of 6 death per event. OK, maybe that roundy round part was below the belt.

Gnnr
09-17-2006, 09:32 PM
I wonder how many people died in and around the theater after watching the fast and the furious movies.

hahaha

HyperTek
09-17-2006, 11:46 PM
they should look to see what ethnic and what gender of those deaths are.. lol.. rednick hicks gettin rowdy in their corsicas lol.. jk to the hicks on zilvia

S14DB
09-18-2006, 12:12 AM
wonder how many die at a Yankees/mets game?

BOROSUN
09-18-2006, 03:34 AM
dang, nascar is more dangerous than extreme ironing. 100x's

Cash
09-18-2006, 08:00 AM
they should look to see what ethnic and what gender of those deaths are.. lol.. rednick hicks gettin rowdy in their corsicas lol.. jk to the hicks on zilvia

sounds like after a Georgia football game minus the corsicas..they all drive big trucks around here.