PDA

View Full Version : choice of tools

HKsilvia
09-14-2006, 04:18 PM
im not sure it had been covered b4...
what is your choice of tools
my situation:
right now im debating between the Matco & Craftsman, i know craftsman is cheaper than Matco, however, as all my instructors in school claim that Matco got better quality. since im in school, i can get a better price on Matco tools (50%) and that makes the price go even.
i did a little research and i got some pros and cons on both brands

Matco
pros
Better quality and handling like gear combination wrench
lighter
Top of the line
cons
Harder to replace, must go to Matco dealer for replacement
more expensive (but i got discount from school)

Craftsman
pros
More budget friendly
easy replacement (any sears stores)
cons
heavier for carry around
less durable
lower quality

please help me pick one between these two, im not down to Snap on because they have less discounts and their customer services sucks.

thx

ManoNegra
09-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Matco if you got the cash.
Snap-On for critical stuff like torque wrenches.

Me, Harbor Freight since I'm a poor bastard.

drftwerks
09-14-2006, 04:41 PM
im at a voca school up here in san jose, and we get discount on all major tool manufacures, and my deciscion is to stick with matco or snapon, both equall, ive used both, and i like the seze and colors for matco, and thire impact has lossened som bolt that snap-on or even IR couldnt undo.

but i like snap on also.

LB.Motoring
09-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Matco if you got the cash.
Snap-On for critical stuff like torque wrenches.

Me, Harbor Freight since I'm a poor bastard.

^ LOL

harbor freight ftw :smash:

be in all seriousness if you can afford matco go for the gold :wackit:

C. Senor
09-14-2006, 09:20 PM
i use snap on, but i have a few craftsmen and matco stuff in there sumwhere, honestly craftsmen will more than likely get the job done and they do have lifetime warrenty, but if u have the cash i'd go with matco...simply a better quality product. there is a small difference between my craftsman tools and snap on tools....and matco and snap are basically same thing

TipStylez
09-14-2006, 10:47 PM
I use craftsmen.

Cheap, and been using it ever since. Plus, anything breaks on me, walk down to sears and get a full replacement.

I have the 90somthing peice box kit that i put right behind my seat. Fits perfectly behind there and stays in place.

drftwerks
09-14-2006, 11:28 PM
oh and btw matco boxes ftw, hella sturdier than snap-on

viscid240
09-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Is there a reason why mac tools is not listed?

I also use craftsman, like you said budget friendly and easy to replace. Any cheap low quality tool for those emergency moments.

kensreliableb18b
09-14-2006, 11:35 PM
craftsman and snap-on for me. but hey since you get 50% with matco, run with it.

j00ni3
09-14-2006, 11:39 PM
anything cheap that's good, i use mostly craftsman..

Buffalo Daughter
09-15-2006, 12:33 AM
i personally started off my first tool box working at the dealerships with a craftsman box and tools also with some harborfreight shit. Personally i love snap-on AND matco has the same shit but sometimes with more quantity with the same quality. For instance i have bought a torx bit set from matco way back and it came with the whole shabang, i thing its like a 30 piece set where as snap-on gives you like 10 torx bits but for like twice the price, also mines came in a dope red plastic box for all of them.

Matco does have better boxes but i see it like this, buy what you need and its not always what you have. Don't buy some big ass box, with hella expensive ass tools that you don't need or you'll never use. You're buying shit for nothing. Buy a box you start out with that you like and go from their. Every tech i know has craftsman tools to use first and then the good shit like snap-on or matco for back-up.
Mac tools i dont really see them around much tool wise, i do see like impact wrenches and other things but never like straight up all Mac stuff. Not to say that Mac sucks its just people i guess are more widely associated with the other two.
The real secret about the three is that one has a tool or special tool or maybe even a set that the other doesnt have. Thats prolly the most obvious thing about the tool companies.

Oh and if your wondering what i have -
I have the 78 classic snap-on box in black , with snap-on import set that i got for 50% when i used to go to school, couple torque wrenches from harbo freight and snap-on, hella craftsman tools and bunch of misc shit and special tools, makita drill/cordless impact gun/. I don't have any mac stuff but soon.

bleachcola
09-15-2006, 12:51 AM
i use craftsman , cant beat getting them replaced at any sears

HKsilvia
09-15-2006, 04:40 AM
thx guys for the advices!
i think i will buy a Matco set for my own use and have them in my car for any situation (including self-defence)
things that i will buy later:
- a whole set of 3/8 rachet set with socket size from 6mm - 22mm
- a set of combination wrench from 6mm - 19mm (yea im a metric freak)
- a torque wrench
- a tool box
- some other accessary i cant remeber now..
total will be around $8xx after discount include tax

right now i already have a whole box of craftsman that bought from sears (my dad bought it and we share them). i really wish i have my own set so pretty much i will go for matco after i save enough money.

seriously tho... i hate sharing tools, either i borrow from somebody or somebody borrow from me i still hate it.

HKsilvia
09-15-2006, 04:40 AM
oaps double post...my bad

lucky7
09-15-2006, 10:26 AM
i like doing little shizz. i dont need real expensive tools. i have i think a 148pc Crescent set. its a pretty basic set, but it works for me. i just head to murray's if i need anything. but, i like the crescent rachets MUCH MUCH better than craftsman. havnt had one take a shit on me yet.

( i used to work at a sears hardware. i would spend all damn day rebuilding rachets. those things are garbage. NOTHING is worse than when the gear slips on you and you bust the shit out of your hand... )

ManoNegra
09-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Save some cash, sign up for automotive classes at your local community college and buy quality tools at great discounts.

sidewayskeet
09-18-2006, 01:29 AM
Matco FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they have the most teeth out of any ratchets to make those hard to reach spots easier to get loose!!!!

kandyflip445
09-18-2006, 02:19 AM
I personally haven't used anything Matco. I have used Snap-on and Craftsman and S-K and some other ones. Whatever cheapest usually works. The only thing I would spend more money on is, like stated earlier, torque wrenches and smaller 6-point sockets. The quality control is usually better on the more expensive brands and leads to less rounding off little bolts that tend to be easier to round off in the first place.

yokotas13
09-18-2006, 02:52 AM
crafstman for everything, snap on for TQ wrenches

Ill gladly lug around 20 more lBS to save 2,000 mroe dollars

I dont care how top of the line it is, I break a wratchet, i take it back (or mail it back now) And get a new one. I always have 2 of each ratchet though lol

95zilvia
09-18-2006, 03:02 AM
I have Snap On almost everything. Bought it as a set when I went to T-Ten automotive program.
"hooked up" for like $1200.
Since then I bought some more tools. Snap On Torque Wrench.
Kragen special stubby screwdrivers
Gear Wrench 10mm flex head.

Just buy the shit u need.

I had a Craftsman set before, shit kept breaking ESPECIALLY the fucking ratchets.

IF YOU WANT TO BE CHEAP
Here's what I suggest.
Craftsman sockets
Matco wrenches (50% + 60 tooth=win)
Gear Wrench flexhead wrench set like 8mm to 19mm
Little tool box

Impact wrenches depend on what u want.
I personally have a IR 2115TI. It's a 3/8 impact gun.

So, it all depends on waht you're gonna use it for and what's your budget.
If it's just for all personal, then get whatever.
If you're going to make a career out of it, get all Snap On. (Matco will do)

k2fender
09-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Matco since youve got the discount. I just get craftsman for the time being since I'm poor. If you use the tools right you really dont have to worry about breaking them too much, so you shouldnt have to worry about replacing your matco tools.

drift freaq
09-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Well Craftsmen used to be really good. Back in the day. These days its junk. I got a small kit for the car i.e. carry in the car. I took it back and picked up a GearWrench set due to some dope ass unique features and better quality IMO. Lifetime warranty as well very good construction. One of the best small kits on the market.
In the end if your serious about wrenching then Snap On, Matco, Mac, are all the top shelf shit. More so with tools, than in almost any other product, the "you get what you pay for" statement, rings very true.

Nav2k
09-19-2006, 02:28 AM
i've never heard of these tools except snap-on. which is by far the best stuff around here but way outta my price range.
my toolset is a kincrome set if anyone knows? lifetime warranty etc.

trsilvias13
09-19-2006, 02:09 PM
I use craftman because of location. If I break something, sears it is. Good luck finding the snap-on truck dude. Mailing it in sucks. I rather get a replacement on the spot (usually).

Not to mention, if you lose tools, you wont be all that made if you lost a craftman than a snap-on or matco.

and MAC should be on your list, they are really good as well.

theicecreamdan
09-19-2006, 07:30 PM
if you are using tools to make money, get snap-on, matco, mac etc stuff.
if you aren't using the tools to make money its hard to get a hold of the tool guys to get stuff replaced. But sears is simple for the other 90% of us.

I will be starting a new job working on diesel injection pumps in a couple weeks. I'll be starting out with craftsman tools, but as I save up money I'll be buying better tools because that's what I will be using ALL day. I would still reccomend craftsman to anybody else because they are good enough.

Dousan_PG
09-19-2006, 08:05 PM
i use craftsman becausei lose a lot of tools and people 'borrow' them
so its the cheapest
wait for the good sales at SEARS and stock up

Mr. Camshaft
09-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Craftsmen tools suck for the most part. We break torque wrenches and ratchets on nearly a regular basis.

Buffalo Daughter
09-20-2006, 12:53 AM
the thing i really hate the most about craftsmen tools is that the round the shit out of bolts. I've worked at vw and subaru and currently honda and each place ive gone too and used craftsmen wrenches it always slips off the bolt or whatever i'm try to take off. That shit really erks me the most. Compared to snap-on and matco they stick like glue.I think that the higher end wrenches are more contour to the bolts then the cheaper made tools that are prolly like 65-maybe 75% acurate to the shape.

Hey but whatever works works. Honestly of all the cheap tools you can buy that are cool are th S and K tools that are hella hard to find. Those are pretty bad ass for some cheap ass tools. Better than craftsmen.

kandyflip445
09-20-2006, 03:22 AM
S-K Tools seemed like alright tools to me. Around the same quality as Craftsman it seemed like. The ones I was using were VERY OLD though.

swiftdrift
09-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Snap-On tools all the way!!:eek3d: I auctually work with snap-on n get super sweet deals!!:fawkd: ... but aside from that, they are pretty much the best tools around.

street_white180sx
09-21-2006, 10:36 PM
i work at a dealership and most of the guys use craftsman. tool replacement is easier when broken. i personally have a whole basic craftsman set. snap on impact sockets, impact gun air ratchet and torque wrenches. for the ratchets breaking its because u buy the basic ratchets from craftsman if u get the professional ones they hold up very well and are effortless to use. plus i hate using snap on ratchets they are a pain in the ass in my opinion. the sockets are a pain to take off. the wrenches are also slim and cut into your hand when your tryin to break something loose. also for those that forgot craftsman has a profession tool line out jus as nice as snap on and mac tools. regular tools craftsman high end tools snap on thats my input.

Gnnr
09-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Here's some info I found while researching tools. You'd be very suprised that there are basically only 3 major tool manufacturers in the USA.

Danaher - makes/owns Matco, Craftsman (bought in 1995), Easco, Armstrong, Allen, K-D.
Stanley - makes/owns MAC, Craftsman (Pre 1995), Husky/National Hand Tool (NHT), Proto, Blackhawk, Facom, S-K
Snap-On - "obviously makes Snap-On and the Lowes' Kobalt brand, although the Kobalt tools are not made in the same factory, or with the same forgings as the "branded" Snap-On tools." Also, J H Williams.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/10958.html

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/23986.html

Buffalo Daughter
09-25-2006, 10:57 PM
I really hated that about my craftsmen tools how the sockets would come off the ratchets so easily. Especially when your torquing something down and it slips off. Plus the on and off levers on the wrenches get fucked up hella quick. Snap-on ratchets and wrenches are fucking quality because it does not fall off and are super accurate. Oh yeah and i think the craftsman professional is only by order to. I don't see much of that at sear's. I do see it in the catalogs.

s14_kouki_drifter
09-26-2006, 07:37 AM
personally i say mac tools they are affordable but the matco man on the truck ultimately pissed me off by just brushing me off . But you have to shop around i mean alot of tools they sell they all carry i have all three of the aboved stated brands come to my shop. For instance knipex brand dikes i saw on the snap on truck for like 45 matco 38 and mac for 25 i went to sears and found them for like 18 i mean none of them make it but they make you pay for convience . I dont like craftsman cause i dont feel like going to sears every time i brake somethin . I buy off the truck because they come to me and not the other way around . You have to be smart and shop around as to has what , in theory they all do the same thing . I choose tools as to how i use them like my locking extensions and what ever else .