PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista RC1...anyone try it?

SimpleS14
09-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Now that MS has released this to the public...I wanted to know if anyone on this forum has tried it.

Here is where you can download it: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download.htm

I don't know how long this will be up, but if you don't have a product key you can use this for 14 days.

I'm thinking of trying this on a separate partition once I get home.

exitspeed
09-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Now that MS has released this to the public...I wanted to know if anyone on this forum has tried it.

Here is where you can download it: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download.htm

I don't know how long this will be up, but if you don't have a product key you can use this for 14 days.

I'm thinking of trying this on a separate partition once I get home.

I'll give it a try later.

WilloW
09-08-2006, 01:12 PM
I'm in the process od DLing it right now.

HyperTek
09-09-2006, 03:03 PM
i was thinking about tryin it on my new system once i get it up in a week or so.

Offtopic- im puttin new stuff in my system, list below, should i stick with win xp 32bit or try 64bit. My main goal is for gaming.

gigabyte 965 s3 motherboard
pentium d 805 @ 4.1 gig
2gig *2x1gig* ocz platnium duel channel ddr2 800
7900gt ko to be overclocked/volt moded to 7900gtx speeds

just need to order a 250-300 gig sata hard drive and wait til my final pieces to come in.

SimpleS14
09-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I can't see any MAJOR difference between 32 and 64 bit XP..I even have a free copy of the 64 bit that I will never use (or activate).

So I say 32 bit.

As I type this, I have the Vista RC1 installed on my second partition. I must say...you need a good video card to enjoy all the "eye candy" involved with Vista. The search feature is cool (if you actually like to do that) and I notice a slight increase in performance. Also this thing <3 memory....I would not follow the minimum 512 MB...its more like 1GB (which I have). Luckily I can boot back to XP so I can scour the net for drivers to my wireless card and sound card.

Overall Vista is cool...but I can't see a justified reason to upgrade to Vista from XP. I will wait until I get a new system and people have figured out most of the tweaks and how to trim off the fat...this OS is bloated with stuff I don't need.

Make sure you install this on another drive or partition...you will need to go thru some work to uninstall it (worse case being reformat). Also you can only use it for 14 days, unless you get a key. I'm to lazy to try the "clock" trick since I don't want to use this OS for that long haha.

HyperTek
09-09-2006, 07:37 PM
maybe someone will make a "Vista" style UI for win xp to make it look as cute hehe

Akiros
09-10-2006, 01:03 AM
is it just me, or does vista just look like a slow turd with alot of glitter.. system specs have to be whack to have all the wacked out new gui.. i dunno, ill give it a go when I decide to hook my desktop up, cause my poor laptop isnt up to spec

Helghast
09-11-2006, 01:31 AM
maybe someone will make a "Vista" style UI for win xp to make it look as cute hehe

You asked.. (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/34365881/?qo=3&q=Aero+Vista+boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_s cale%3A5)

and there's PLENTY out there..
you could easily run a Vista Look alike..

as for me..I wanna try it for the Media Center.

HyperTek
09-12-2006, 01:55 PM
sweet.. will try when i get all the parts in and install on my new hd..

300gig 7200.10 16mb cache sata seagate heheh

SimpleS14
09-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Yea, I happen to have the Vista skin, icons and cursor on my XP setup. Just a few things visually that can't be implements on Xp..such as the fading action when you log in or shut down.

Either way, I have to make a note that if you do install this it will be tedious to remove it in the future. What I did was reset the master boot record using the XP CD when I booted up and formatting the partition with Vista on it.

Then again if your using Virtual Machine (which is free from Microsoft) you don't have to worry about it.