PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist cops

gun
08-31-2006, 04:21 PM
I dont wanna get flamed for this, but.. i was doing my usual browsing on craigslist and i read a post about a kid that was selling his SR'ed s13. The kid got from a guy that wanted to check it out as he was a potential buyer. so the kid drives to like Target or someplace and the guy shows up, looks at the car and then calls his "friend" to help him check it out. well, the "friend" shows up, and is a cop with a tow truck and then and there, the kid got his
s13 impounded. i talked to a friend of mine in the CHP academy, and he told me that was one of their new "tactics" of finding these kinda cars. i dont wanna get flamed for this or anything, just heads up for some of u guy s wating to sell on craigslist. if u think about it from the cop's point of view, its a very smart move, but kinda below the belt IMO.

Dousan_PG
08-31-2006, 04:23 PM
thats low. thats real low and cheap
too bad the chp is doing that. what a shame.

SilviaNinja240
08-31-2006, 04:24 PM
wow, if that's the case cops really don't have much to do around there. What a waste of tax dollars if cops have to make elaborate sting operations like that.

Realchaos1
08-31-2006, 04:24 PM
Thats just fucked up, thanks for the warning

SiI40sx
08-31-2006, 04:27 PM
uhh that doesnt sound legal

mooboy
08-31-2006, 04:41 PM
I guess if you preface your ad with "for off road use only" and then people come to your house or shop to check it out. Should be ok?

s13poop
08-31-2006, 04:44 PM

yeh +1 i think you should really look into this

TAMTANIUM
08-31-2006, 04:45 PM
^ yeah that should be ok. But then the cop will be like "how come this car is register and passed smog?"

mooboy
08-31-2006, 04:54 PM
^ yeah that should be ok. But then the cop will be like "how come this car is register and passed smog?"

You just did the swap and haven't gotten around to non-op'ing it. You don't drive it around anyways... etc

fromxtor
08-31-2006, 04:56 PM
^^ and then your like I dunno I took it to an inspection station and they passed it. What are they going to say?

mooboy
08-31-2006, 05:06 PM
^^ and then your like I dunno I took it to an inspection station and they passed it. What are they going to say?

haha good luck with that explanation. ;)

ONYX S-13
08-31-2006, 05:12 PM
Dang, that's jacked !

Yeah maybe it should be "Off road use only" in the title. That way they can't bust you cause they don't know if you drove it on public streets or not..

Pred
08-31-2006, 05:35 PM
that seems like too much trouble just to impound a car. If they really wanted to get you all, they would just show up at a 240 Meet and bust everyone at the sametime.

One reason why I still have my KA24E.. damn I hate it !! lol

drift freaq
08-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Dang, that's jacked !

Yeah maybe it should be "Off road use only" in the title. That way they can't bust you cause they don't know if you drove it on public streets or not..
as long as you don't drive it to meet them. I would say it would not hold up in court because its pretty much entrapment. Its not like they had reason to suspect because they saw you driving the car or pulled you over. Though ya if you keep the car parked wher ever you are selling it. You state for off road use only then your safe.

trsilvias13
08-31-2006, 05:51 PM
It was on craiglist, but it was north of SF where the area do have less crime. A cop meet the seller at an albertson (supermarket) and then called his friend and that kid got his car impounded. Really suck. Even if that kid states offroad use only, he still would get in trouble regardless because the car has a sr20det and he was driving it. If cops was smart all they do is type up sr20det or gsr swap, type r swap, whatever car that can be swapped and see who is selling a car with it. Cali is really starting to suck in terms of modifying cars, but gotta pay to play.

Everyone buy a truck and a trailer and tow your car everywhere. 8mpg towing wasting gas truck here I come.

Cash
08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm so happy I live in Georgia and don't have to deal with all that mess. I wonder how long it'll take for that kinda stuff to reach the southeast..

sw20>>s14
08-31-2006, 06:01 PM
thats an old trick taken from repo guys...they do that all the time...but cops beginning to do it is pretty jacked up...

drift freaq
08-31-2006, 06:09 PM
like I said I do not believe it would hold up a a court of law. A prosecutor would be very reluctant to prosecute a case like that because its pretty much outright entrapment. A well paid lawyer would get someone out of that. Plus it sounds like bored chp in a rural area situation. Funny thing about that is the number of SR cars up your area most likely is not that high. Socal on the other hand is crawling with them.

trsilvias13
08-31-2006, 06:23 PM
sr cars are plenty up here. Compare to just one or two years ago, it pretty much triple.

KwKouki
08-31-2006, 07:15 PM
for someone who knows what they are doing, this can be tossed. Its not entrapment but its boaderline.

This is exactly how a drug sting is ran. Find a buyer, make the deal, cuff the bastard when the drugs switch hands. It would be entrapment if the seller asked he the potential buyer was a cop, and he said otherwise.

I do admit....this is VERY low.

LA_phantom_240
08-31-2006, 07:34 PM
Entrapment FTL. :rl:

EchoOfSilence
08-31-2006, 08:09 PM
you can't bring up and use it was for "off-road use only" because the registration clearly shows it's driven on the street.

personally, i never do these show up thangs just for a potential buyer. you have to be a fool to actually go.

!Zar!
08-31-2006, 08:13 PM
That isn't a great idea. Because that will not hold up, and will get the smog station fined, and in trouble.

P4rD0nM3
08-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Makes me love CO even more.

If you'll be selling your car, tell them to go to your place...and not meet up. If they want it, they'll go to your place.

But I dunno really. Dunno CA.

SkeetFaceJeff
08-31-2006, 09:52 PM
I call bullshit!!!! They'd rather bust cars for modifications then go after the thousands of CL whores??

91CRXsiR
08-31-2006, 09:56 PM
I call bullshit!!!! They'd rather bust cars for modifications then go after the thousands of CL whores??
hey hey.. leave the working ladies alone.. they work for "roses"

HyperTek
08-31-2006, 10:27 PM
well if your "potential" buyer looks like this.. welll....
http://www.atlanticiowa.com/police/Parsons_Jon.jpg

haha jk.. dam tho, i was thinking about relisting my car on craigslist..

We will be screwed the day it comes to cops being the seller of modified cars and busting people who potentially purchase em.. lmao

SkeetFaceJeff
08-31-2006, 10:28 PM
hey hey.. leave the working ladies alone.. they work for "roses"
Roses cost more than dollars. All those old ladies that you see on the street selling roses, guess how they got them.

wootwoot
08-31-2006, 11:50 PM
If he has a mustache, run.

WilloW
09-01-2006, 01:41 AM
This is a new low.

RiversideS13
09-01-2006, 02:21 AM
I think it is a fake story, doesnt make too much sense. If this tactic is true, than why not cops shows up in the drift events and car shows? i am sure they will catch more people and more cost effective (instead pay a cop to communicate the seller and set up the trap, they can just go raid a car show)

S13Eye
09-01-2006, 02:31 AM
I think it is a fake story, doesnt make too much sense. If this tactic is true, than why not cops shows up in the drift events and car shows? i am sure they will catch more people and more cost effective (instead pay a cop to communicate the seller and set up the trap, they can just go raid a car show)

Filling out paperwork is hard, and thats a lot of paperwork. Donuts are easier, and tasty too. Stereotyping is wrong. :nono:

ranger2339
09-01-2006, 06:28 AM
LS1 FTW!!!!! I will never move to cali, texas or Fla. here i come...

Cali for the lose!!!!!!

Ax

WilloW
09-01-2006, 09:07 AM

Cali for the lose!!!!!!

Ax
Texas weather suck ass, I can't wait to move back to California.

ONYX S-13
09-01-2006, 09:25 AM

Cali for the lose!!!!!!

Ax

STOP RUBBING IT IN :( !!

you can't bring up and use it was for "off-road use only" because the registration clearly shows it's driven on the street.

That's not valid either cause you could have just registered your car (smog and all that) then came up on a cheap motor. Performed the swap then sell the car for more money to make personal profit.. Isn't that possible?

VROOOM
09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Makes me love CO even more.

If you'll be selling your car, tell them to go to your place...and not meet up. If they want it, they'll go to your place.

But I dunno really. Dunno CA.

I would never have a potential buyer come to my house. thats just asking for them to came back that night or when your not there and jack your car. it happened to my parents once. let some guy come to the house to check out an MG and that night it got stolen. you should always meet up somewhere away from your house and bring a friend(preferably a big guy).

VROOOM
09-01-2006, 09:44 AM

a few years ago the cops would wait outside of pomona fairgrounds and import showoff after the shows/races and pull people over

gun
09-01-2006, 11:51 AM
a few years ago the cops would wait outside of pomona fairgrounds and import showoff after the shows/races and pull people over

Right you are. A friend down in LA told me they were doing that kinda thing back in 2005 or somethin like that. im pretty sure the police tried waiting outside the NOPI nationals back in like 2003, didnt go too well for them, but then again if u go to that bruhaha, u deserve to get shit on by piggies lol

trsilvias13
09-01-2006, 12:02 PM

Cali for the lose!!!!!!

Ax

LS1 FTL, ls1 still = bar ticket. No one yet has got that motor barred in a 240sx yet. The exhaust manifold clearance is an issue. Supposely you cannot use aftermarket ones to pass inspection.

trsilvias13
09-01-2006, 12:04 PM

This actually happen at HIN once before. They found a few stolen motors in a car show. And they also found stolen body kit (my friend got his stolen, they know it his because it was a one off bumper with his name molded onto the kit on the back side). Also many stolen rims were found, great leasson to learn is to put a sticker inside the wheel (between tires and wheel), usually theives do not replace tires if they are new.

Antone
09-03-2006, 12:27 AM
That sounds like entrapment to me...Im no legal expert..But I'd try sueing them for not trying to impound cars inside of catching murders and rapists. :-\

drift freaq
09-03-2006, 12:43 AM

Cali for the lose!!!!!!

Ax
Thats ok we have enough people here already. In fact to many people come here. So its cool, go live in Texas or Florida.

ronmcdon
09-03-2006, 01:40 AM
I guess if you preface your ad with "for off road use only" and then people come to your house or shop to check it out. Should be ok?

I don't know about that either. most ppl don't like to have buyers come by their house, b/c they could be potential theives. they check out your ride, garage or whatever and then later come back for the loot. personally i don't feel comfortable to have buyers come by my house.

really sucks to have to deal with both cops and theives. Cali is getting pretty out of hand. they're prob checking out zilvia as we speak, lol. donut eating bastards!

ronmcdon
09-03-2006, 01:45 AM
Thats ok we have enough people here already. In fact to many people come here. So its cool, go live in Texas or Florida.

i don't know about florida, but texas and nevada arn't so bad. Cali is getting to be a pretty uncomfortable state with the overpriced homes, high taxes, traffic, etc. Not so sure the best jobs are here either. the emissions here is just another icing on the cake. :(

BOROSUN
09-03-2006, 02:16 AM
way overpriced houses... bleh

VROOOM
09-03-2006, 11:16 AM
hell yeah houses in compton sell for over 300k

DJ_Sunrise
09-03-2006, 12:04 PM
if this is a true story, and i dont doubt it is.. this shit is really fucked up. i feal bad for you cali fellas.. i got pulled over twice recently (headlight went out literally in front of cop) (2nd time tires slipped, tailfished). 1st time around 3 cops walk up to my car.. whats that gauge? boos----ughh vacuum gauge officer! that stick thing with the beeping digits? its a timer, it keeps track how long i take on delivery. what about that handheld thing son? just a monitor for the cars electronics officer. oh. cool! alright, have a good night son. <-- we get this treatment in NJ, no one gives a fuck what u have unless its a civic/integra. cops hate those shits haha. 2nd time, same thing. nice car complements.. slippery outside, drive home safe.. blah blah blah. my condolences to cali people...

-Bart

drift freaq
09-03-2006, 12:07 PM
i don't know about florida, but texas and nevada arn't so bad. Cali is getting to be a pretty uncomfortable state with the overpriced homes, high taxes, traffic, etc. Not so sure the best jobs are here either. the emissions here is just another icing on the cake. :(
Meh, Neveda too hot, Texas, well thats better left with comments not made.
Ya housing is expensive here, taxes are not that bad, try living in England hahahha. Traffic well you just got to be smart about that. Job wise neither of the states previously mentioned are even an option for me. I would be so far away from everyone it would be crazy. I might as well live in the bay area if I was going to live in Neveda or Texas. I would move back to the bay area long before moving anyplace else. My opportunities lie in socal thats why I am here.
People focus to much on negative stuff about were they live rather than looking for the positive. I lived in the bay area loved it, could point out the downsides none the less. I live in socal happen to like it, could point out the downsides here as well. Neveda has its downsides as well so does Texas and Florida. If you move to a state strictly because of certain smog laws and whatnot your life better be strictly and deeply involved in the automotive business and there better be a customer base to support it. Otherwise its just not wise.

91CRXsiR
09-03-2006, 04:25 PM
hell yeah houses in compton sell for over 300k

hey man.. who ever said you can't buy ur "street cred" hahah

HKsilvia
09-03-2006, 05:32 PM
it starts gettin OT
bak to topic...
if this really true, then there is nowhere else is safe...omg, wish some zilvian can become lawers

dopeassjackson
09-03-2006, 07:51 PM
wouldnt that only be ilegal if they took his car from his drive way. the kid drove it to a public place so he got, got thats all there is to it. just only show your car to people on your land then you should be good.

CKAMC
09-04-2006, 05:14 PM
here in arizona you can pass with an Sr no problem... as long as its not OBD2 aka 96+ which in that case you either live outside of pheonix or have gone KAT or Ls1.

The only thing people complain about is the heat but fuck I father have that than humidity... dry heat FTW!

Omarius Maximus
09-04-2006, 05:53 PM
I would love to live in Kentucky or Alabama or whatever, sure the cost of living would be really low and you can buy a huge house for cheap. Unfortunately your income will take a huge hit when you leave california and your quality of life will end up being the same if not lower. Haha Smog isn't exactly the most compelling reason to leave california. Yeah I'll leave the hot girls, the best jobs, the beach, the weather, so that I don't have to worry about my SR. GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK. Has it ever occured to people that they can have a fast car that is also smog legal?

gotta240
09-04-2006, 07:14 PM
fast car plus smog legal= hard, expensive, or not likely.

STILL. CALI for TMFL!!!!!!! So leave...everyone...just move to oregon, arizona, or texas where you can drive your sr's..... I'll stay here in crappy cali though...

yota man
09-04-2006, 08:27 PM
damn this makes me love SC no smog no laws about engine swaps and no inspections

ALTRNTV
09-05-2006, 01:23 AM
STILL. CALI for TMFL!!!!!!! So leave...everyone...just move to oregon, arizona, or texas where you can drive your sr's..... I'll stay here in crappy cali though...

:werd:

You guys can leave. You guys can take with you the high cost of living, but you can leave our weather, and our women here. Have fun in the rest of the US of A.

S13SilviaGirl
09-05-2006, 05:57 AM
Born in cali and will Die in cali. Only reason I would leave is for a hella good job and $$$$

Yuri
09-05-2006, 10:41 AM
haha, cops really are starting to pay attention to our cars. On my way to work this morning I was driving my S13.4 to work in stop and go traffic, and a black&white comes up behind me, and follows me for quite a while. Everytime we came up on an exit, he would fake leaving the freeway, and then cut back in behind me. finally, he changes lanes and pulls next to me staring at the side of my car. He was probably checking to see that my sideskirts weren't lower than the bottom lip of my wheel. I've got 18's so that isn't a problem. I just smiled at him, and upon seeing that, he tucks back in behind me. I guess he finally got tired of trying to get me for something (good thing I drive safely and have a queit exhaust) and blew by me on the shoulder. I thought it was pretty hilarious, having a cop mad dog me like a civic owner.

ManoNegra
09-05-2006, 10:59 AM
^The same shit's happened to me a few times but my record is clean and the outside of car is oem so after a few miles they usually just leave me alone.

wingsnthangs
09-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Haha Smog isn't exactly the most compelling reason to leave california. Yeah I'll leave the hot girls, the best jobs, the beach, the weather, so that I don't have to worry about my SR. GIVE ME A FREAKIN BREAK.
Word. California for the win.

redsuns3838
09-05-2006, 01:20 PM
story sounds a little fake to me. theres so much fake stuff on craigslist now-adays. but they cant impound ur car just for being SRed. they can give u a ref ticket but they wouldnt impound ur car. that seems a lil fishy right there to me.
but if it is real, entrapment is pretty much a usual way cops catch drug dealers....it wouldnt suprise me if they moved the tactics on to SR owners.

guy wants to sell drugs and u tell him to meet u at 8PM at some spot. and then bust him when u see the drugs. cops been doing that stuff since forever. right? blah, probly just bored cops in the boonies?

can we quit the cali FTW FTL bullshit if u guys dont like it get the fuck out or dont come here. but hey, quit ordering parts that get distrubited from cali. last i checked like half the stuff that gets imported from japan, well probly more, comes through our ports...

but most of us are lovin it out here and proud of our set. so stfu.