PDA

View Full Version : BT - THis Binary Universe

HyperTek
08-30-2006, 09:28 PM
ANyone pick it up?? I cant find it at local store, and best buy said they got just 3 on order and dont know when its gonna be there... ugh i wanna pick it up soo bad... i started listenin to some of BT's old tracks back in 2004 and he is just awesome. THought maybe there might be some BT fans on zilvia..

91CRXsiR
08-30-2006, 09:47 PM
get it on eBay.. found a few copys in 3 secs

S14DB
08-30-2006, 10:08 PM
Hard to tell who sold out more. Moby or Him...

HalveBlue
08-30-2006, 10:44 PM
BT's never sold out. Brian Transeau has always been about messing around with production and getting involved in all sorts of genres.

His involvement in EDM in the right place at the right time, and introduced a lot of fans to his work. But in the end he's just doing what he's always been and wanting to do.

In any case, be forewarned HyperTek, apparently this new album doesn't flow along the lines of his previous EDM focused work. I've heard it be described as "jazzy" of all things. Then again, I haven't heard the album for myself.

And perhaps, it's something that you might enjoy regardless.

HyperTek
08-31-2006, 12:35 AM
BT's This Binary Universe is really a follow-up to his 2004 soundtrack to Monster, a brilliant work of cinematic moods and ambient Americana. It was unjustly ignored by both the Oscars and the Grammys, where it should have at least been nominated for Best Surround Sound Recording. None of that has stopped Brian Transeau from going further down this path of expansive ambient electronica that takes him out of the techno-pop and trance direction he had been pursuing. This Binary Universe taps into BT's classical side, with expansive arrangements and intricate, albeit minimalist, thematic development. From the opening of "All That Makes Us Human Continues," BT reveals himself as a master of Eno-esque melancholy, as simple melodies evolve through an electro-orchestral instrumental palette. Lounge jazz with solos in the key of abstract, plaintive arpeggiated guitars, electro marches, minimalist hymns, and pastoral dreamscapes drive an album that seeks out joy and redemption, but not without traveling through the dark. The last track, "Good Morning Kaia," is a paean to his newborn daughter, and the most purely anthemic track on the disc.

man hmm.. yah.. i loved his older stuff from the 90s.... Remember, Giving up the ghost, flaming june, believer, The Road To Lostwithiel ... those are more trance orientated..

but i like smooth beats and jazz so i dunno.. sucks cuz not too many sites you can sample it, and itunes has it but 30 seconds isnt enough to know what hte hell it sounds like lol.. but Ill take the plunge.. it comes with a dvd which is in 5.1 surround so im sure that would be some awesome kick back music to listen to when i study.

drift freaq
08-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Hard to tell who sold out more. Moby or Him...
call it selling out. Moby was smart, he knew he would make a killing have his couple of hits and move on.
Brian hardly sold out. He moved straight into film score work which is without a doubt just as smart. He is having a long term career because of it. Both these guys sloughed it out in the trenchs at Raves for years. I have seen Moby play probably 6-7 times and BT at least that as well. You have to realize putting out a house or trance record does not mean your making tons of money, in fact you don't make money off them, you make some many spinning or playing live. I was in the scene from the beginning in 1990 to the what I call the end around 2000. I threw parties, I played at parties.
I know a lot of the big names and most of them well tell you that what Moby and BT did was rather smart. Ask DJ Dan he will agree.

Does Brian have some attitude? Depends on what time of the day you catch. I have met him on several occasions. At music business events and shows. He lives in my neighborhood. I see him strolling his baby down the street sometime and he pops up at the coffee bean occasionally as well.
People who don't understand the business call it selling out. Fact is every musican wants to get paid for their music so they can do nothing more than work on music all day. These guys did not sell out, they decided they wanted to make enough to have the freedom to do just that.
Any musican who accuses another of selling out is a hypocrite at heart. Plain and simple.
Yes I write music, yes I edit/engineer music and produce music. Music and cars thats my life.

LB.Motoring
08-31-2006, 12:59 AM
^ its business, just like anything else, to get by.

EndLeSS8
08-31-2006, 04:46 PM
BT- Force of Gravity (Ferry Corsten bootleg) = greatest vocal trance track of all time.