PDA

View Full Version : Rear bumper half way off...help

Stamina
08-27-2006, 07:42 PM
I kinda exhausted my efforts on how to get my rear bumper off on a 91 coupe. I've searched the forums and it got me almost there, i removed the 4 on the sides and on a hatch modle someone said there are bolts you must get by removing access panles. I cant seem to find these but it was a pic of a hatch he posted. I also went under the car and removed what looked to be brackets holding the rear bumper support on to the car. Its a bracket by the muffler and opposite side aswell. Got all 8 off and it wont budge. I can barley peak up in the middle and it looks like there is also a 14mm bolt connecting the bumper but i cant reach it at all...unless i hack. It cant be that hard...:duh:

Is there a differnce for coupe and hatch removal? All the posts i've searched were hatches.
Any help will be great.

Ricks15
08-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Ive been wondering the same thing too since I want to put a Aero bumper on my hatch too.

S14DB
08-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Take the tail lights out.

mrmephistopheles
08-27-2006, 08:51 PM
4 bolts in trunk floor, and about 6 on each side where the bumper meets the unibody.
A few more here and there i think.

Stamina
08-27-2006, 09:34 PM
4 bolts in trunk floor, and about 6 on each side where the bumper meets the unibody.
A few more here and there i think.

Sweet....are those the ones with rubber covering over them? One about 4 inches in and the second around 8 inches into the trunk?
Thanks

jookybanana
08-27-2006, 10:28 PM
this might help

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v63/blowass/car%20stuff/w.jpg

i actually didn't need to remove the rebar to take the bumper cover off, but it will be easier than squeezing in there to remove all those screws holding the bumper cover

Flybert
08-28-2006, 01:10 AM
Yeah, the little screws are the most annoying thing ever. I chose to do that rather than taking the whole bumper support off. It's super time consuming and you will cuss a lot doing it.

S13SilviaGirl
08-28-2006, 04:45 AM
Jooky, great post!

projectRDM
08-28-2006, 09:05 AM
I love the poor wording in here. There are no screws securing the bumper at all, either front or rear.
Both fastback and coupe models are the same for removal. You do NOT have to remove the tailights or lower fill panel.

Remove four bolts, size M12, in the floorboard, two on either side, under the rubber plugs. These go through to the rebar supports. Remove one more M12 bolt above the driverside towhook. Then go inside and remove six nuts, three on either side, going through the quarter panels. Unplug the liscence plate lights and pull the bumper/rebar assembly off as one piece.
Then the bumper cover can be removed from the rebar by taking off several M8 nuts.

And all this is available within the FSM, has been for nearly 18 years now, funny no one seems to know that. Everyone should at least have a copy downloaded since it's free. If you can come in here and ask a question, you can look it up just as easily.

420sx
08-28-2006, 09:19 AM
^lol. i wander why do people ask questions BEFORE looking into an FSM or at least a fucking Chilton's

TanbouTaTsubasa
04-20-2007, 02:58 PM
believe it or not I have both the fsm and the chiltons and neither of them tell you how to remove them. :P not the ones I have anyway.

markyboi
04-20-2007, 03:50 PM
i just removed mine..took me awhile coz of the freaking plastic clips/screws underneath the car (i didnt have a small screwdriver or any driver bits, so i drilled it out..hehe)

you will have to take the metal piece underneath taillights and there are about 8 bolts under there.

tail light removal is not necessary

Matej
04-20-2007, 04:47 PM
This thread is from 8 months ago. :)