PDA

View Full Version : No cat in CA??????

WONTONnPHO
08-25-2006, 04:16 PM
What is the fine for not having a catalytic converter in CA? I'm curious :D

VROOOM
08-25-2006, 04:59 PM
ive heard over 1K but im not sure to be honest, had a cop look under my car once and i had NO cat(straight pipe) and never said a word.

staticbzer
08-25-2006, 05:15 PM
would the cop have been able to see a cat from the top anyways? curious since i dont have one.

WONTONnPHO
08-25-2006, 05:30 PM
ive heard over 1K but im not sure to be honest, had a cop look under my car once and i had NO cat(straight pipe) and never said a word.

DAYAMMMM that much??? I got a custom exhaust that bypasses the cat, so I guess its time go back to the muffler shop to get a cat put in :duh:

Ricks15
08-25-2006, 06:07 PM
you can still keep the cat on but just shave off the internals of the catalizer and be done with it.

Irukandji
08-25-2006, 06:46 PM
would the cop have been able to see a cat from the top anyways? curious since i dont have one.

Do you even know what a cat is? How the hell are you gonna see through your floor pan, let alone the entire car to see whether or not you have a cat? Idiot:duh: .

No point in running without a cat on n/a. You gain like 1hp and become a cop magnet when they smell your exhaust.

YUNG DRIF
08-25-2006, 06:59 PM
he means pussy cat hahhahaa

Fat Felix
08-25-2006, 08:16 PM
whats the point in running no-cat on a car that's driven on the streets all the time? that extra 15hp when you're on high boost or that extra 5hp when you're still stock KA?

not worth it to me.. I rather breathe better than have that extra power or that little decrease in spool time.

Vatche
08-26-2006, 01:54 AM
when u add 15hp taking your cat off, and 15hp with a catback, and 15hp with whatever, it adds up bud...just gotta do it the right way and not get caught.

lilaznjeff
08-26-2006, 02:39 AM
take out the heat shield on your cat, and use chicken wire to rap around. that should do the job

!Zar!
08-26-2006, 09:28 AM
when u add 15hp taking your cat off, and 15hp with a catback, and 15hp with whatever, it adds up bud...just gotta do it the right way and not get caught.
15hp per, "mod" I hope you are joking.

If a cop catches you with an illegal cat, there is more than a fee, your car will be impounded for the manditory 30days at your expense. AND you will be fined.

It all depends how much of an ass the cop wants to be.

Irukandji
08-26-2006, 01:33 PM

so you're saying I have

155 (chp stock) + 15 (for test pipe) + 15 for catback +15 for headers

WOW I HAVE 200 hp according to your horrible logic.

CaoBoY
08-26-2006, 03:43 PM
fines and or jail time, friend is a cop, he wouldnt give me the details, but thats what he said. take your cat out, hollow it out, and weld a straight pipe through the cat. that would be the best way to look stock and you SHOULDNT be caught, unless you get pulled over at those portable smog stations. even then, they would probably just say that your cat is blown out. no biggie then!

Fat Felix
08-26-2006, 05:28 PM
I, personally, would have a bit more to worry about than only not having a cat.

The main reason I'd at least run a highflow cat on any cat that's not 90% track is that it's better for the environment in which we all live in.. which in turn is better for my lungs, me, and other people.

oh ya,

cat backs, although a large part of a car's exahust system, has nothing to do with emissions. It is purely for sound supression and exhaust fume direction. So all in all, I'd only be losing 15hp and and increasing a little bit of spool time(perhaps more in a higher powered car, but my motor setup is pretty basic).

articdragon192
08-26-2006, 08:18 PM
Put the heatshield on a test pipe or gutted cat and the cop wont know what is under it exactly. If the car smells, say the cat went bad and that you have one on order.

Drunk Bastard
08-26-2006, 11:37 PM
no cat = felony
felony = jail time

Vatche
08-27-2006, 04:14 AM
man wtf, i wasnt saying u can gain 15 hp taking off the cat, i was stating IF according to his logic you did, that every little bit counts to most people. sorry for posting, maybe i shouldnt post without completely thinking of every single stupid FLAME possible because u read my post wrong. your all right, its illegal and there is a fine, and your car can be impounded. People should know the consequences before doing something illegal like taking a cat off. they should decide if its worth it to them. if you dont agree with what others do, keep it to yourself unless what you have to say matters to them. and im sorry if im coming off like an asshole but im sick of getting flamed over stupid shit. (let the next flaming begin because i know it will unfortunately.)

SiI40sx
08-27-2006, 04:33 AM
so you're saying I have

155 (chp stock) + 15 (for test pipe) + 15 for catback +15 for headers

WOW I HAVE 200 hp according to your horrible logic.

155crank horsepower? on a 15 year old beat motor? thats some great logic !!!! lol

ballr858
08-27-2006, 04:36 AM
i run a test pipe and just cover it up with a heat shield. i figure if i get pulled over i'm boned regardless because of having an sr motor.

Vatche
08-27-2006, 04:37 AM
^^^ agreed ^^^

TheSquidd
08-27-2006, 02:36 PM
aero + lowered = good luck even seeing it. :D

Serious wtf why is no cat a FELONY?????

Jung918
08-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Vehicle Code

Disconnecting, Modifying, or Altering a Pollution Control Device

42001.14. (a) Every person convicted of an infraction for the offense of disconnecting, modifying, or altering a required pollution control device in violation of Section 27156 shall be punished as follows:

(1) For a first conviction, by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50), nor more than one hundred dollars ($100).

(2) For a second or subsequent conviction, by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100), nor more than two hundred fifty dollars ($250).

(b) (1) The fines collected under subdivision (a) shall be allocated pursuant to subdivision (d) of Section 42001.2.

(2) The amounts allocated pursuant to paragraph (1) to the air pollution control district or air quality management district in which the infraction occurred shall first be allocated to the State Air Resources Board and the Bureau of Automotive Repair to pay the costs of the state board and the bureau under Article 8 (commencing with Section 44080) of Chapter 5 of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code.

(3) The funds collected under subdivision (a) which are not required for purposes of paragraph (2) shall be used for the enforcement of Section 27156 or for the implementation of Article 8 (commencing with Section 44080) of Chapter 5 of Part 5 of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code.
Added Ch. 972, Stats. 1992. Effective January 1, 1993.

CaoBoY
08-27-2006, 03:06 PM
now people dont get confused, this doesnt mean that your aftermarket exhaust is illegal now. technically it would be, because of the loudness factor, but, emissions wise, it will not affect anything, because the cat converter is the last emissions part.

Irukandji
08-29-2006, 03:30 PM
155crank horsepower? on a 15 year old beat motor? thats some great logic !!!! lol

you're missing the point, it's supposed to be exageration.

idiot.

PhilthyS13
08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Or you could get the sard tcv. At idle/low rpm, the test pipe is approx 2" wide, then at wot it's 3" - maybe more. If a cop looks at it, you could say it's a high flow cat. It's better than being completely catless. My car rattles the front door of my house.

rollhard
08-29-2006, 04:55 PM
aero + lowered = good luck even seeing it. :D

Serious wtf why is no cat a FELONY?????

I hope you are joking or even being sarcastic. Do you know just how bad carbon monixide is??? Why do people die when cooped up in their garage with the car running for what?...like 45 minutes? Imagine hundreds and thousands of cars.........dont forget we use more resources than any other country in the WORLD...........running without a cat. Laws are passed for reasons, not to rob you of horsepower.

There are air polution laws and then there are sound polution laws. Your exhaust (catback) wont affect air polution laws like your intake can, but it could violate sound polution laws (being too loud). If you really want, there are some high flowing cfm cats that are available. They are a nice compromise.

SiI40sx
08-30-2006, 02:18 AM
you're missing the point, it's supposed to be exageration.

idiot.

and u didnt notice me being a little exagerate towards you for being ride to begin with?

idiot

Omarius Maximus
08-30-2006, 03:32 AM
I hope you are joking or even being sarcastic. Do you know just how bad carbon monixide is??? Why do people die when cooped up in their garage with the car running for what?...like 45 minutes? Imagine hundreds and thousands of cars.........dont forget we use more resources than any other country in the WORLD...........running without a cat. Laws are passed for reasons, not to rob you of horsepower.

There are air polution laws and then there are sound polution laws. Your exhaust (catback) wont affect air polution laws like your intake can, but it could violate sound polution laws (being too loud). If you really want, there are some high flowing cfm cats that are available. They are a nice compromise.

Dude, I find that to be slightly hypocritical.

Vatche
08-30-2006, 03:42 AM
well hes right, laws are made for the safety of the people. but the everlasting problem with those laws, is that the people who make them are soo full of shit half the time and paid out and pass laws to make money and all sorts of corrupt bullshit. but yeh if everyone didnt have a cat on their car, we could possibly die.

anyways the fees are in place. if you want to take your cat off. you have to face the consequences, why or how the laws are in place dont matter anymore. what matters is action+reaction. if you get caught u pay. so if you dont want to pay the fines. dont take your cat off.