PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic bearings?!

undesiredshoe
08-20-2006, 02:22 AM
I found some info on magnetic bearings.

The fact that a rotor spins in space without contact with the stator means drag on the rotor is minimal. That opens up the opportunity for the bearing to run at exceptionally high speeds, where the only limitation becomes the yield strength of the rotor material.

At Revolve, magnetic bearings have been designed with surface speeds up to 250 m/s or 4.5 million DN, where DN is the diameter of the rotor (mm) times the rotational spend (rpm). In order to achieve one quarter of this kind of speed with conventional bearings, a complex lubrication system is required.

No other type of bearing, can match magnetic bearings for shear speed.

Magnetic bearings open new possibilities for extreme high-speed applications such as machine tool spindles and turbo compressors.

if in corporated into turbos, spool time could be reduced and oil lines a thing of the past!!

yokotas13
08-20-2006, 04:33 AM
wowzers i want one

spdfreek0o
08-20-2006, 08:45 AM
They use this same technology on the worlds fastest "subway" train. But instead of oil lines you'd still have wires, and it would have to run on a 12-volt system. It would be interesting to see what develops.

undesiredshoe
08-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Yea, one of the cons they stated is that you'll need to use electricity and the bearings would have to be bigger in size

LB.Motoring
08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
yah an electro magnetic bearings FTW

badboy6686
08-20-2006, 05:56 PM
yes! now you won't blow your turbo becuase of a busted oil line, instead you'll blow it because of a blown fuse lol

S14DB
08-20-2006, 08:38 PM
What about the magnetic field drag? on the opposite end of the push their is a pull. Think how electric motors work.

LB.Motoring
08-20-2006, 09:50 PM
^ thats why it needs power... like "running" and electric motor..

undesiredshoe
08-20-2006, 11:16 PM
and pretty soon we'll have magnetic rod bearings, magnetic wheel bearings....everything will depend on electricity

hah i wish