PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else here into collecting butterflys?

az_240
08-17-2006, 10:41 PM
Ever since I was a kid I have been into catching, mounting and collecting butterflys. My first word was actually fritilary which is a type of butterfly.

I know its pretty :ghey::fruit: but I could care less.

Just wondering if I am the only one on this board that does this sort of thing.

Heres a pic of a butterfly I just mounted (not quite done). If theres some interest Ill post pics of my collection:D
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/livinglegendlll/DSCF0001-1.jpg

ALTRNTV
08-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Can't say that I do...

az_240
08-17-2006, 11:04 PM
neg rep for the post whore!
jk

I have another one im about to mount here in a bit. Ill post pics when the wings are spread like the one above.

LB.Motoring
08-17-2006, 11:12 PM
i have a collection, ill take a pic and post one of the cabinets,

Dousan_PG
08-17-2006, 11:13 PM
only time i did was in high school biology class

post pics of ur collection though, im sure its quite impressive.

i dont think i have any collections of anything
had some comic books and baseball cars from like 4th grade, but i lost them.

sw20>>s14
08-18-2006, 12:28 AM
hot wheels cars/figures > butterflies!!!

jk, they look really good when mounted in those display cases...cant say that i have the patience for it though...

LB.Motoring
08-18-2006, 12:35 AM
hot wheels cars/figures > butterflies!!!

jk, they look really good when mounted in those display cases...cant say that i have the patience for it though...

figures = dolls.... :fruit: bahahahaha

damn i use to have all the hot wheels, and the pimp caring case that held like 100+ cars hehehehe

TipStylez
08-18-2006, 12:36 AM
ouch that looks like it hurts. You are going to hell for all the butterflys you killed just so you can stare at them!!!

haha j/k

I use to catch molths, flys, butterflys with a net...to feed to my pet tree frog =] Fun watching him catch it in the tank.

Im more of a aquarium guy.

BTW, how do you go on finding the butterflys? Do you carry a net with you?

Flybert
08-18-2006, 12:52 AM
I had a half ass collection of insects from my entomolgy class back in college. I got a D on that project because I was lazy and didn't collect enough of them and didn't label them correctly. Post pics of your collection. Probably is pretty cool compared to my POS collection.

az_240
08-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Heres a pic of the butterfly im working on now. This ones being a lil bitch:hammer: Its very hard to mount them without scratching the scales or tearing the wing some especially when they have been relaxed in a relaxing jar which does not make them as soft as if they were freshly caught.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/livinglegendlll/DSCF00012.jpg
Heres a pic of just a few butterflys waiting to be put in a display case.http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a229/livinglegendlll/DSCF00013.jpg
The butterfly in the upper box bottom middle is a very rare frittilary known as a regal frittilary. They are said to be near extinct.

Ill have to post pics of my entire collection tomorrow since they are stored in a big box and it takes a while to get them out.

sw20>>s14
08-18-2006, 01:51 AM
I use to catch molths, flys, butterflys with a net...to feed to my pet tree frog =] Fun watching him catch it in the tank.

Im more of a aquarium guy.

haha same here! i loved watching my fat little treefrogs eat...

i stuck to freshwater fish after experimenting with different pets...easiest to take care of, haha...

az, thats pretty good collection you got there...looks really good...sounds like collecting butterflies is a lot like making a perfect tamiya model except 10 times harder haha...

az_240
08-18-2006, 02:13 AM
BTW, how do you go on finding the butterflys? Do you carry a net with you?

haha yeah. If people ask I just say im doing a field study for ASU. I dont go out and catch butterflys much anymore since I dont have anyone to go with.

I was really into keeping reptiles and amphibians too when I was a kid. My room was like a zoo with all the cages and animals. Even had a giant brown tarantula I kept in a cage.
Nowadays I just have a leopard gecko. Very easy to take care of.

Another thing I was REALLY into was skateboarding. I wish I had some old videos of me Id post em... I did some crazy stuff on a skateboard till I broke my leg by getting it ran over by a lexus. Yes I was drunk:doh:

SiI40sx
08-18-2006, 03:11 AM
this is more fruity than a fruit salad

downshift_sideways
08-18-2006, 04:16 AM
this is more fruity than a fruit salad

I agree :fruit:

ramblux
08-18-2006, 05:20 AM
The butterfly in the upper box bottom middle is a very rare frittilary known as a regal frittilary. They are said to be near extinct.

So you killed it? Do you collect Dodo birds too?

TipStylez
08-18-2006, 06:02 AM
^haha yeah, that kinda got me thinking.

alexchanman
08-18-2006, 07:05 AM
thse look knda coool, but i say that in the most hetero way possible.

exitspeed
08-18-2006, 08:23 AM
mounting

You said mounting, huh uh huhuh...

No, that shit looks cool. Seems like you have to have patience. Probably something tst of the younger folk on here can't relate to.

PBucch
08-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Yesterday i went outside
With my momma's mason jar
Caught a lovely butterfly
When I woke up today
Looked in on my fairy pet
She had withered all away
No more sighing in her breast

I'm sorry for what I did
I did what my body told me to
I didn't mean to do you harm
Everytime I pin down what I think I want it slips away
The ghost slips away.

hehe

vspec15
08-18-2006, 09:49 AM
i had a "butterfly" knife =-)

EndLeSS8
08-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Calvin : look, I caught a butterfly!
Hobbes : If people could put rainbows in zoos, they'd do it.

95Blue240sx
08-18-2006, 12:24 PM
ROFL great thread!

Dont knock him on his hobby. What if some douche came on here and was like WTF are you fixing up your car for blah blah.

I find it interesting to see what other people do. It was pretty funny when i was reading this thread. First you "mount" and then you killed and mounted a nearly extinct butterfly.

You try breeding them next.

ramblux
08-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, it just seems strange to kill things for the sake of collecting them and displaying them. Why not just take photos of them?

ManoNegra
08-18-2006, 01:33 PM
A favorite childhood passtime of mine was chassing and 'catching' butterflys with a three branch. Mine didn't end up looking as good as yours though. Third world countries... go figure.
Shooting birds and squirrels with slingshots was a lot of fun too.
Now in retrospect do I realize how barbaric and nasty some of our favorite passtimes were.

trsilvias13
08-18-2006, 02:57 PM
bb guns with pigeon, raccoons, cats, whatever was stray running in my backyard was fun until the neighbor told the cops.

Now it paintball gun and raccoons mostly. If you guy see a pink raccoon around hehe. I just try to scare them away from my sister's dog's food .

'90RPS13
08-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Definately awesome bro. I would love to collect Butterflies but I just dont have the heart to kill them. I am definately interested in seeing your whole collection though. Maybe when I get older I will get into something like this. As for now I will stick with my Snakes. *a

JVD
08-18-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm just wondering, how exactly do you "kill" them? I don't really collect anything. Tire collection has started to grow as of late though. LOL!

NemeGuero
08-18-2006, 03:30 PM
I used to shoot arrows at pigeons that lived in my barns..

stupid pigeons.
One time.. I didn't have any arrows.. and I took the end of a fishing pole and shot a pigeon through the wing!! it was awesome..

Then my dad came.. and broke its neck to end its suffering..
Then, we ate it.

haha No Joke..

WilloW
08-18-2006, 03:32 PM
haha yeah. If people ask I just say im doing a field study for ASU. I dont go out and catch butterflys much anymore since I dont have anyone to go with.

That's impressive, im sure there's some girl out there with the same interest as you.

P4rD0nM3
08-18-2006, 03:45 PM
I use to collect dragonflies as a kid...then I try to sell them for a buck to other kids. I catch the blue ones so I can get 2 green ones in exchange for a blue one. Red is pretty rare and brown is rare too for us little kids.

I didn't mount them though. I was 6 I think...

Vatche
08-18-2006, 05:32 PM
you guys have time for other hobbies other then cars?

az_240
08-18-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm just wondering, how exactly do you "kill" them?.

Either use a killing jar with poison or I usually just kinda pinch their bodies.

My gf is actually kind of into the butterfly thing too... or so she says:ughd:

hmm I cant seem to find my USB cable or Id take some pics of the entire collection. I have about 5 cases of butterflys... I have caught a LOT more in my younger days but I was not good at mounting (laugh it up) back then.

I do not do this sort of thing daily.... just whenever im bored

I also collect indie rock and rap music.
My car is still my #1 hobby though

TipStylez
08-18-2006, 06:16 PM
^Yes. Just that it happends to be cheaper hobbys while we wait for our next paycheck for the $200-$500 part. =]

Brian
08-18-2006, 06:23 PM
FUCK THAT

I chase butterflies in fields.
Don't kill my friends.

oh by the way, in reference to your first post, the proper phrase is
"I couldn't care less"

blackflag_Rms13
08-19-2006, 12:28 AM
:keke: ˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙˙

Helghast
08-19-2006, 01:42 AM
Do you have the Huge ones? It's like a feet wide, brown, and was scary as shit!

I remember seeing a really rare one when I was a kid..then godzilla came out of nowhere and killed it!

..it was insane.

LB.Motoring
08-19-2006, 08:49 PM
the ones that look like it has eyes?

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_butters/images/wpeB4.jpg

P4rD0nM3
08-19-2006, 10:10 PM
you guys have time for other hobbies other then cars?

Hell yeah. If you're just lookin' at your car everyday...doesn't that get boring?:fart:

undesiredshoe
08-20-2006, 12:10 AM
Try and catch this

http://www.emergentchaos.com/images/aug-05/mothra.jpg

I collect yugioh and pokemon cards

Ricks15
08-20-2006, 12:31 AM
I dont get how is it that there bodies dont dry up all crazy or rot since there dead and in cases.

LB.Motoring
08-20-2006, 12:35 AM
^ once they dry they dont rot, there super brittle though

NemeGuero
08-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Hell yeah. If you're just lookin' at your car everyday...doesn't that get boring?:fart:

Then drive it.. ;)