PDA

View Full Version : Military brokedicks.

mrmephistopheles
08-15-2006, 10:47 AM
This is for you guys that have gotten out/are getting out and were somehow injured while you were in.
Personally, I'm rated as being 10% disabled, and receive a small check from the VA every month.
I was rated 10% for lower back pain and 0% for a broken bone in my foot.

First, let me tell you guys about this website:
Veteran's Benefits Network
http://p203.ezboard.com/bvetbenefits

This is THE place to go to find info on any benefit you may be entitled to, as well as for information and advice regarding disability claims, etc.
If you have a relative who went to Vietnam who is affected to this day from their experience, have them go here and get advice for getting help from the VA.

Obviously, you're going to have to be eligible in some way.
This means that in general, any discharge but an 'other than honorable' or dishonorable for 2 or more years of service will qualify you for veteran's benefits.

For disability claims, you must provide evidence that your injury was directly connected to your service.
If you're still in, this'll be in your service medical record.
If you have a problem that you're not seeking help for while you're in, don't expect help from the gov't after you're out. Its difficult to establish service connection for previously undiagnosed conditions after you're out.
In other words, IF SOMETHING HURTS, GO TO MEDICAL AND COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.

If you have PTSD from being in the sandbox too long, you should file a claim.
If you can't hear shit because you turned F15 engines all day, you should file a claim.
Essentially, if you are more broken getting out than when you came in, you should file a claim.

Don't look at the disability compensation as free money. Look at the rating more as permanent and free medical insurance, and the compensation as something to offset your pain/discomfort. I'm getting ~$114/mo tax free right now, but I'd sooner give than up and be able to stand for more than 20 minutes without hurting, and hold my daughter while standing for more than 10 minutes.
Now since my current condition is considerably worse than right after my seperation, I'm filing for an increase on my rating.
I'd like to get up to ~30% and my tinnitus claim rated, but we'll see what happens.

Let's talk some more about this now.
Non-military ppl can stay out of the thread, unless they have some helpful advice.

HalveBlue
08-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Mr. Meph, please post what you find out about your hearing damage claim.

As far as I know hearing damage is not covered by the military (though it might be by the VA).

But the best piece of advice I can give to anyone getting out is to go see the doctor before you get out. I don't care if it's a hangnail or a broken neck, get everything recorded. Even if doesn't seem that bad, or you think your tough enough to handle the pain, get checked out.

I talk with people getting ready to retire every day and this is something that gets mentioned every single time.

Also, remember, there's a difference between what the military rates you when it comes to disability and what the VA rates you.

But yeah, get everything documented before you get out.

fromxtor
08-15-2006, 01:06 PM
So far I have lost 20% hearing in one of my ears (thanks F-15s), and also a tip for those still in; your going to want to get copies of your medical records like once a year. I've heard when it's time to get out some service members medical units "lose" or "can't find" your records.

mrmephistopheles
08-18-2006, 07:44 AM
Don't worry, I'll keep you guys abreast of what happens with my claim.
I did mean the VA, and not the military - I should've been more specific.

from - great point. backup copies save your ASS.