PDA

View Full Version : Any CNC machinists in here?

blaze1
08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I'm 17 and been looking into being a CNC machinist for a while now, I'm planning on going to a JC and getting my associates in manufacturing. But I have been reading on monster and a lot of other employment websites and papers and they are all saying they want to higher people with experience, at least 5 years.

So my question is how hard is it to get a job in machining even if you have all the right credentials and what not? Doesnt seem like too many companies are hiring new machinists. I'm also interested in diesel automotives, which one is the better career and in higher demand at this point?

pablo180
08-10-2006, 03:06 PM
I dont get paid to do CNC work but I was a CNC machinist last year on the CSUN formula team operating a VF-2 mill. I will tell you this though. It is not the most appealing work. Its loud, dirty, and can be dangerous. But if you are ok with that then you can get your experience at a machine shop. If they dont have CNC's then look for one that does. I'm not sure what your location is but if you are in Cali then you can call Haas and take a certification course there.

blaze1
08-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Scratch that, but thanks for the insight.

I'm cool with doing dirty and loud work as long as it pays good. I will look for some machine shops that are hiring now.

pablo180
08-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Nope. Haas is a CNC manufacturer. Located in Santa Barbara.
www.haascnc.com

hendogg8
08-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Blaze1, you're not interested in getting an M.E. degree?

The job market is a lot better for M.E.'s I think and CNC machining is part of the work that can be done. It will offer more variety than just CNC milling.

I'm about to graduate and at my current job, I work with CNC's and other equipment in the machine shop quite often. It's cool to machine out parts, but it's also fun to design them.

TheWolf
08-12-2006, 05:59 AM
the reason they want experience is that.. with experience comes the knowledge to set up toolpaths correctly the first time and make little jigs for parts with ease. Most newb's can't. Certifications and training are great but sometimes that just doesn't match with real world experience. If they want someone who's got 5 years.. Apply anyway and let them know you can work just as fast as a 5 year guy for less and then go up based on performance.

spdfreek0o
08-12-2006, 09:00 AM
The job market is a lot better for M.E.'s I'm getting ready to start on a MET(Mech. Engineering Technology) degree, more application than theory. I would think that would be a good place to start.

blaze1
08-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Blaze1, you're not interested in getting an M.E. degree?

The job market is a lot better for M.E.'s I think and CNC machining is part of the work that can be done. It will offer more variety than just CNC milling.

I'm about to graduate and at my current job, I work with CNC's and other equipment in the machine shop quite often. It's cool to machine out parts, but it's also fun to design them.

I always considerd getting my M.E. degree, but I just never thought of any jobs I could actually get with it, plus I dont have much money for college:( so I honestly dont know if I can get it going to a JC.

ManoNegra
08-15-2006, 02:47 PM
A friend of mine is a machinist and does CNC work. Like mentioned already, good pay only comes with experience. Prepare to pay your does earning next to nothing for a few years. Apply yourself and luckily with recommendations it could take less time to climb up.