PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP IN Sounth bay (Salinas)

NoOneIsPerfect
08-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi,

Just got kyb shocks/eibach sportline springs and I was trying to install them onto my car...

Here's the BIG problem. I had no prob taking 2 17mm bolts on lower front strut... but 6 top strut bolt... can't get em out!! Used PLENTY of WD-40, and still can't get em out.

So I think I got few options...

1. Take it to a shop.. cut the bolt.. forget about stock strut and pay $$$$.. Who knows how much they'll charge...

2. Get a help from GREAT zilvia.net member!

IF anyone can help me out w/ taking those dayum bolts off.. can't pay you cause I'm a broke Jap (rarely for Asian.. I haven't gotten any financial help frm my parents since turning 18) but I'll buy you lunch or dinner at local restaurant.

OR I got bilstein shocks/spring combo for s14 if anyone wants it in return of helping me w/ these dayum bolts. I tried selling it on craigslist but didn't work out so might as give it to someone w/ good mind:-D

email me @ [email protected] ASAP! My car is still on jack stand.

A Spec Products
08-09-2006, 11:24 PM
try something that will penetrate like pb blaster

if you can use a cheater bar (pipe, jack handle) and leverage that shit off

or throw a open end box wrench and hit with a hammer, break that shit loose

good luck, never really heard of strut tower bolts ever being that stubborn

Ricks15
08-09-2006, 11:39 PM
them bolts is probably pretty ozidized thats why they are a bitch to take off but just like logan said use a breaker bar,pipe or what ever to take that bolt off be sure you are useing a metric socket too. One of my dumbass friends was doing a coil swap and he somehow used the wrong type of socket and stripped the shit out of the bolt.

C. Senor
08-09-2006, 11:56 PM
that sux man...this suggestion will need you to buy new nuts for the bolts....because i'm assuming thats wat you're stuck on right the nuts on top of the strut tower...if so...get one of those wrenches that clamp down, squeezing the heel out of the nut but still allowing the wrench to lock and then just twist away...i stripped those nuts before and thats how i got them off.

NoOneIsPerfect
08-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks for all the advise! It got all dark so I just left the car jacked up. haha nothing to steal from that car.

s13coupeluv, I actually went to home depot to get those tools... and it's SO stuck that I can't even get it off.

Ricks15, I used 14mm socket which should be the right size... haha I've done so many coilover swaps on s14. It's pretty much same.

C. Senor
08-10-2006, 01:37 AM
so you still havnt gotten it off......try gettin a 13 mm socket and hammering that thing onto the nut, i tried that it worked on one side but not the other....just another suggestion.

blu808
08-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Those are usually the eaisiest bolts to remove. Did you use the wrong socket and strip them?

NoOneIsPerfect
08-10-2006, 08:52 AM
s13coupleluv>already have tried 13mm socket w/ hammer.. did not work. So.. I'm gonna try few other method today... and if that doesn't work.. F*CK it.

blu8808> I did use right socket. 14mm.

NoOneIsPerfect
08-10-2006, 02:14 PM
So I figured only way is to take it off w/ impact wrench.

I first go to Midas and they offer me w/ installation on 2 fronts for 140... not a bad deal... then I went to <B> Precision Auto</B> on North Main street close to Mickey D's.

Acted dumb and said "I got this from somebody and it was already like this. How much is it to take these bolts off and install 2 new assembled shocks/springs"?

"That'll be <B>560 dollars</B> plus disposal fee of $20. :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: He said it's a tough job and will take approximately 5 hrs and suggested me to just drop off the car in the morning and pick it up next day?

WTF? I mean... come on... maybe I acted too dumb but that's a GREAT way to rip off somebody.

Decided to just go to Midas since they offered me free brake fluid change on the side plus some coupons for them.

DON'T get fooled by their great location! THEY ARE BUNCH OF RIPOFFS!:mephfawk: