PDA

View Full Version : what are you guys going to school for?

az_240
08-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Just wondering what some of you plan on doing after school.

I was thinking about going to school to get my ASE cert. but im not so sure anymore. Seems like there are a lot of draw-backs including not enough money especially here in AZ.

ALTRNTV
08-07-2006, 05:49 PM
I wanted to be a mechanic after I graduated, but I thought to myself that I wouldn't want to be working on other people's cars the rest of my life, so there went that idea.

I actually have a double major right now- Administration of Justice and Psychology

WilloW
08-07-2006, 07:17 PM
I'm a bio major.

punxva
08-07-2006, 07:22 PM
im a graphics design major

P4rD0nM3
08-07-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm a computer science major. Go geeks!

zaneithan
08-07-2006, 10:09 PM
currently a psych major, but i think im going to go into law

nissandr1ft
08-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Im majoring in mechanical engineering with a minor in business at NC State University.

Ghettokracker71
08-07-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm trying to figure out what to study myself. After going to vocational training for cosmetology(no,I'm not gay.),I had to get knee surgery and now I can't really handle doing that everyday anymore...So basically I am stuck in a rut that theres nothing that I know of,that I really want to do that I can physically do :(

ALTRNTV
08-07-2006, 10:17 PM
**POST OF THE DAY**

After going to vocational training for cosmetology(no,I'm not gay.)

We all know you're not, but that made me laugh. :rofl:

airsoft
08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Human Resources

I'm sorry but, your employment has been terminated.

C. Senor
08-07-2006, 11:02 PM
biology major here.....pray for me guys i have like 8-9 more years of school left.....damn neurology field...lol

aznpoopy
08-08-2006, 12:12 AM
computer science major / econ minor - grad. 2003
currently going into my 2nd year of law school

az_240
08-08-2006, 12:18 AM
Im thinking of taking this hydrology course at a local community college. Says its the only one offered in the state and the money looks pretty good too. You basically monitor water levels around the area.
Anybody know anything else about hydrology?

It looks like I'll probably just start off doing the automotive thing. If it sticks Id wanna get into working at a high end dealership, performace shop or maybe even start my own shop.

I may be getting a part time job at a hospital my mom works at down the street from me just to get by. Credit card is just about maxed out:( Maybe something there will spark my interest

OdessaS13
08-08-2006, 12:21 AM
administrative justice -> police academy
goverment job FTW

FRpilot
08-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Human Resources

are there jobs available for HR?

ramblux
08-08-2006, 03:15 AM
Human Resources

Haha, "Everyone who works here step forward. Not so fast Billy."

I'm going to major in photography for the hell of it, and take my time gettin a degree. I've been a photographer for 10 years, but I miss classrooms for some stupid reason.

vincem
08-08-2006, 03:43 AM
computer science here!

hey, for those who are majoring in computer science what do you plan to do with your degree?

RiversideS13
08-08-2006, 04:39 AM
had my biology BS and now i am in school for health administration

S13SilviaGirl
08-08-2006, 06:22 AM
going to school for general stuff right now, then I want to finish up with a degree to become a vet tech. If not that I was thinking paralegal...

blu808
08-08-2006, 06:32 AM
I rec that all of you go to school to make money. Dont do anything with cars. If your a mechanic you will work to the bone on cars everyday, and never have energy to work on your car.

Just make a buttload of moola then take care of your family. After that you can cheaply build the best drift car ever, and never worrie if you can afford top ramen.

mosill
08-08-2006, 07:42 AM
I am a EE and Math major with a Spanish minor Specializing in entrepenuership and engineering management. I am also dual in enrolled for my MSEE.

I want to work as an automotive EE and build aftermarket electronics.

Edgar
08-08-2006, 07:56 AM
International Business/Marketing and Advertisement

!Zar!
08-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Computer Science/State law

Whoo~

exitspeed
08-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Multi Media

My wife makes bank so I'm not worried about getting rich, just enjoying what I do.

az_240
08-08-2006, 07:56 PM
I rec that all of you go to school to make money. Dont do anything with cars. If your a mechanic you will work to the bone on cars everyday, and never have energy to work on your car.

Just make a buttload of moola then take care of your family. After that you can cheaply build the best drift car ever, and never worrie if you can afford top ramen.

I dunno... I think id be nice to have some training in automotive just because there are always jobs available. My dad is an engineer making 100k+ right now but about two years ago he was laid off and could not find work anywhere for about 7 months. Of course he collected unemployment but there are situations where you wont be able to collect unemployment and will be stuck with no income at all like me right now:(

Im kinda thinking about doing the automotive thing then maybe real estate or car insurance............ too many damn things to choose from and not knowing what would be best SUCKS

trybal
08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
digital video production and 90k later... :(

bboyt3nsk
08-08-2006, 08:18 PM
Recording Arts
Id like to work in Electric Ladyland or Abbey Road, but I have be realistic. Ill go back home and work in a small studio. haha

Team Rootbeer
08-08-2006, 08:23 PM
hot rod/custom motorcycle body/chassis fab at VC Tech, and i just landed a job with Brian Fuller (FullerHotRods) in ATL..........pretty sick, im super psyched about it!

theicecreamdan
08-08-2006, 09:00 PM

I disagree Luke, yeah, somedays the cars will kick your ass, but if you're a good tech and you work for a decent dealership you won't be hurting for money and you won't be "working to the bone"

wickdmarz
08-08-2006, 09:02 PM
International Business concentration in Japanese...but I might change majors and minor is Japanese somehow

OptionZero
08-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Undergrad poli sci major --> 1 yr of CA state service --> law school -->?????

Maybe in a D.A's office, put some people in jail for fun.

iwishiwas-all*
08-08-2006, 11:52 PM
mechanical engineering major at U of Miami

nistech
08-09-2006, 04:24 AM
<<<<CS major...

kingsol
08-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Doubling in English and Rhetoric for undergrad study
Also, another law school hopeful

95zilvia
08-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Full time automotive student, part time working at an independent shop owned by my room mate.
Have ASE in electrical. Hopefully after school go work for a dealership and work my way up slowly! $30+ an hour hopefully.

Pennyman
08-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Mechanical engineering, hoping to transfer to SJSU in the Fall of 07.

Same for my girlfriend. I'm damn lucky for it too.

DriftKouki
08-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Also majoring in ME and minoring in Mathematics.

Slidin240Wayz
08-09-2006, 07:39 PM
BS in Business Management and then Japan for an indefinite amount of time in a teaching program. Then back to school for my MBA then my own business.

Carlos

LB.Motoring
08-10-2006, 01:03 AM

obviously you dont have any romen left now! hahahaha

yah

Robotic Engineer here :P :goyou: yah in like 4 more years >_<

pablo180
08-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Mechanical Engineering at Cal State Northridge

If you want to go into the automotive field as an engineer i highly recommend doing Formula SAE.

Pablo
CSUN FSAE

Mr. Camshaft
08-10-2006, 06:06 PM
Mechanical Engineering @ UCSD fo sho!

I wanted to do FSAE but it's kinda time intensive so I plan on joining the Mini Baja team.

mosill
08-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Im interested in going from my EE degree to the automotive EE work field using on my car background. What is Formula SAE? I went to the SAE site a little while back and don't remember seeing it. Sorry to thread jack and Ill post a new one if youd like.

pablo180
08-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Formula Society of Automotive Engineers (FSAE) is a competition in which students are to design, analyze, and manufacture a formula style open wheel race car. Aside from engineering, teams also have to take into consideration the cost of making the car and presenting the cost of the car. Budget is limited at around 25K. Industy professionals from GM, Nissan, Toyota etc....judge the competition. Even Formula 1 engineers go to these events to judge and critique teams designs. This is especially true in the UK Competition. Ater teams are judged, they then compete against each other in 4 events....acceleration, skid pad, auto-x and endurance. Teams from Europe, Asia, Australia, North and South America compete in different locations around the world. There are 2 comps in North America, one in Michigan and one here in California. Other locations include Brazil, Japan, Australia, England, and the newest addition in Germany. It is VERY time intensive...but in the end it pays off BIG TIME. To get an idea of what the cars look like......type in FSAE in google and look at the images.

Pablo Olmedo
CSUN FSAE

gmarzan
08-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Had my Electrical Engineering degree and now i'm on last my year of getting my 2nd degree in Chemistry with a minor in Art History (only courses that has a ratio of 20/1 girls/boys) at Rutgers University.

Tenchuu
08-11-2006, 12:56 AM
I was looking at electrical engeneering, anyone want to PM me with some details on that since i really am not getting stright answers on what it is and real world applications?

EchoOfSilence
08-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Mechanical engineering, hoping to transfer to SJSU in the Fall of 07.

Same for my girlfriend. I'm damn lucky for it too.
Going to UCSC, or cabrillo?

I'm a Mechanical Engineering / Psychology Dual Degree Major. 1 more year here @ UCSC for psych BA, then I shall be @ Cal for 2-3 more for ME BS.

KA24DESOneThree
08-11-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm going to school for the money. That piece of paper shows that I stuck it out for four years doing a lot of bullshit homework that won't be applicable to my job and didn't even get paid for the effort. Is an education important? Sure, but experience and true knowledge is more important by a factor of n.

I'd also like to get laid more often.

TurDz
08-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah looking back on it, I should have done FSAE but there so much work getting my BSME.

I'm out of school now and want to get into automotive engineering. I'm probably going to start planning to go to SAE regional events to see what is going on and to meet some people.

-usmd-180sx
08-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Mechanical Engineer. Hopefully go work at a prestigious car company and give some inovative ideas in producing cars of the future.

Neejay
08-14-2006, 01:01 AM
I'm not sure how much longer I have in school, but my B.A. degree will be Technology Management with an associate's degree in Computer Networking Technology.

I really don't want to enter the network part of things, but the technical side of computers (Computer Technician). Right now I do a co-op that is every-other semester. It's desktop support where people put in tickets and we go to their deskt and troubleshoot/install software and hardware. It's a catch-22 because this co-op is slowing me down in school because it's full-time so I can only take 2 classes while working. But at the same time, its good experiece and pay because it's in my field.

kurissuS13
08-14-2006, 01:28 AM
Philosophy major here, toying with the idea of a minor in linguistics. and yet another law school hopeful.

S13SilviaGirl
08-14-2006, 03:15 AM
Also majoring in ME and minoring in Mathematics.

when I take my algebra class here in about 9-10 weeks wanna tutor me with it online??? hahaha

DaPCWiz
08-14-2006, 06:28 AM
I graduated last may with a bachelors in IT/Network Security. Got a fulltime job now... I'll eventually go back for an MBA or something... maybe in two years or so.

gordonliu
08-21-2006, 05:30 PM
chemistry bs with minor in physics @ ucsb then (hopefully) ms in matrls @ ucsb

frankist
08-21-2006, 11:44 PM
finishing up in my ase's hopefully master tech in like a year, and then to my real course of study marine bio./oceanography. anyone else interested in the marine field?

Omarius Maximus
08-22-2006, 02:02 AM
Lets see, originally it was Mechanical Engineering, but I couldn't handle the math. Then it was communication, until I met SEVERAL people with that major making like 10 bucks an hour, and now finally its economics. Needless to say, I've been a Junior for a long long loooooooong time.

Omarius Maximus
08-22-2006, 02:05 AM
chemistry bs with minor in physics @ ucsb then (hopefully) ms in matrls @ ucsb

I sort of went to UCSB when my major was com. It was too damned expensive though and I didn't want to have a job making like 15000 a year when I owe well over 20k in loans. But Isla Vista is sooo tempting though, just for the experience. Anybody wanna go up there for Halloween? We'll all dress like chip n dales!!!! Woot!

Maeda
08-22-2006, 03:46 AM
I went to art school.

Now i'm funemployed and loving every minute.

Revhard_s14
08-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Nursing major here.. =)

exitspeed
08-22-2006, 01:59 PM
I went to art school.

Now i'm funemployed and loving every minute.

Quick Draw McGraw,
I went to art school

Sorry back on topic...

Cash
08-22-2006, 10:39 PM
working towards an MBA in finance, but still not sure what kind of job I want to get into. It's such a versatile major.

DriftKouki
08-24-2006, 12:05 AM
when I take my algebra class here in about 9-10 weeks wanna tutor me with it online??? hahaha
Algebra is a piece of cake compared to upper levels of Calculus.

motegineon
08-24-2006, 12:13 AM
currently 3rd year on the MBA program...not sure if im going to finish or just get a bachelors though....wana go to japan to school but dont have any money..boo hoo :(