PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a Biology Major or in the Healthcare industry?

dannyboi
08-03-2006, 10:38 PM
I graduated 2 months ago with a BS in Biology with a Concentration in Biotechnology and a Minor in Chemistry. I wanted to work full time for about a year then try to get into a MS for nursing. I started looking for jobs about 2 weeks ago.

Now, i was wondering what some Bio majors are doing for a job/career. My biotech concentration gives me more of an edge since i've worked w/DNA and did a bunch of techniques like PCR/immunoBlots/etc which employers demand. I've contacted those temp agencies but most jobs are Chem related (which i prefer not to get into... i luv biology).

I applied at hospitals to work as a research assistant, but most of the jobs require "1-3 years clinical research experience or clinical monitoring" How am i supposed to get my foot in the door if they mostly require experience?

Any input is appreciated. :hug:

TurDz
08-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I am in the same situation as you, except I am a mechanical engineer.

One important thing to do, while you are searching for your job, is to NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK. This can be attending meetings or seminars on the lastest technologies or findings of your field. This is also getting in contact with the employees of a company you want to work for. Attempt to contact at least 5-10 and try to arrange a coffee break with them so you can ask them for advice.

BOROSUN
08-03-2006, 10:59 PM
its going to be difficult without exp to get in. but, if you got some hook up or connection its only way. sometimes.

dannyboi
08-04-2006, 09:17 AM
I am in the same situation as you, except I am a mechanical engineer.

One important thing to do, while you are searching for your job, is to NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK. This can be attending meetings or seminars on the lastest technologies or findings of your field. This is also getting in contact with the employees of a company you want to work for. Attempt to contact at least 5-10 and try to arrange a coffee break with them so you can ask them for advice.

You should have no problem, since engineers are in demand. But i can easily get a job (i've had 5 offers in 1 year) but they weren't what i specifically wanted (4 were science realted, but not biotech related. 1 was a research assistant but i did have my BS at the time).

Thanks for the advice. I should network.

dannyboi
08-04-2006, 09:21 AM
its going to be difficult without exp to get in. but, if you got some hook up or connection its only way. sometimes.

My tita works at one of the best hospitals in Illinois (and country) and could probably get me in but I'll use her as a last resort (since the higher ups who work there sometimes don't like people who get handed jobs due to inside connections... if they find out).

I have lab experience, but not full blown research or clinical experience.

TurDz
08-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Tita? are u filipino? hehe

Anyway, I would definately try family connections. There's a crazy % of jobs that are secured by connections through family and networking...forgot the figure but it's a big one.

dannyboi, even though you say engineers are in demand, its still tough. I'm in the same boat as you EXACTLY, because most mechanical engineering jobs need years of experience too, even junior engineering jobs (gimme a break...)

I want to get into automotive engineering, so I'll try to attend any SAE events that around my area. I also graduated about two months ago. Your experience that you already have helps a lot. It's just a matter of time and staying consistent with job searching.

I have a very addictive attitude towards things I do...so if I can set myself up to be around automotive engineering events and just cars (not things like Hot Import Nights...lol) such as hands-on training or design, I hope that will help me towards where I am going.

I've learned too...sometimes you can't get the job you want immediately. I've already accepted myself that I'll have to compromise (to a certain degree) on what field of entry-level job I have first, then as I become more qualified and established, search for fields you have a passion about. In your case, bio.

S13SilviaGirl
08-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Also, do volunteer work or internships, they may not pay, but you get the experience wich will help you land the job in the long run. Just a thought.

FRpilot
08-05-2006, 08:54 PM
im in this boat too.. although im a business major and there are tons of us out there. i think i need an internship soon because trying to find a job without experience is going to be difficult.

now where to get an internship besides career fairs at school.

dannyboi
08-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the advice all!

Turdz, i never realized engineers had it so tough. As for jobs, i think i'll hav to compromise as well.

Silviagirl, i wish i did those during college (instead of being a bum in my free time, lol). But its good to volunteer, since if the hospital likes you, they might hire you.

FRPilot, keep at it. My bro's friend got her 1st job making 70K fresh outta college without much exp. Maybe she slipped through the cracks... i dunno. Basically any job you did had some kind of business skill building (thus its relevant to your resume.. even if its burger king)

RiversideS13
08-05-2006, 11:20 PM
my guess is that you werelooking for some better pay job? most of my biology friends got a lab position from their professor's connection or just stay in their school's research lab. my brother's friend also got a job from department of agriculture. I had a biology b.s. and i am studying in health administration master and applying for dental schools at the same time

TurDz
08-05-2006, 11:54 PM
im in this boat too.. although im a business major and there are tons of us out there. i think i need an internship soon because trying to find a job without experience is going to be difficult.

now where to get an internship besides career fairs at school.

Take your advice asap!! it's great youre thinking of an internship early. It will pay off dividends when you graduate. That was my mistake....

Be very assertive at career fairs and make it known that you have a lot to offer :)

AAA240SX
08-06-2006, 03:45 AM
dannyboi: I live out in the suburbs. Around Elk Grove/Schaumburg. Currently working at Alexian Brother's Medical Center. If you are interested, they have just recently opened a Gamma Knife Center where they have been doing neurological research.

Personally, I am a premed student at UIC. Majoring in Neuroscience with a minor in Psychology. Finishing up soon. I began as a CNA at a nursing home (which I still work at today), then took a step into the hospital and haven't turned back. You learn so much everyday as patients/conditions vary day to day. So much to learn. The atmosphere is excellent and the funny thing is that you run into so many different opportunities.

I do direct patient care, but suprisingly have run into several situations where research positions were offered to me. Either by physicians or through associates of the Alexian hospital network. If anything, I would take that into consideration. Check with your Tita for a hook up with any lab assisting positions at the hospital. There are many opportunities in my Histology, Toxicology, Blood Bank, etc, etc. Just get your foot in the door and take it from there.

My kuya actually got me into this hospital too, haha. Flips represent haha. woot woot.

FRpilot
08-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Take your advice asap!! it's great youre thinking of an internship early. It will pay off dividends when you graduate. That was my mistake....

Be very assertive at career fairs and make it known that you have a lot to offer :)

the thing is.. i havent been looking for an internship early and i have about a year left till i graduate and i already been in school for 5 yrs. haha. but i wasnt serioeus about school for my first 1 or 2 years and i am double majoring so i dont know if thats an excuse.

TurDz
08-06-2006, 01:25 PM
the thing is.. i havent been looking for an internship early and i have about a year left till i graduate and i already been in school for 5 yrs. haha. but i wasnt serioeus about school for my first 1 or 2 years and i am double majoring so i dont know if thats an excuse.

That's fine man. Just always look forward...

I was the same way. I only got serious about school after my grades started suffering and I wasn't very proud of them (considering I did very well in high school).

If you can get anything under your belt, I would do it. Good luck.

08-06-2006, 07:01 PM
When I was in the army I was a combat medic and then a field nurse.

Then I got my BSN. Have been a RN for 6 or so years now.

Great job but not for everyone. Make sure you know what your getting into. :)