PDA

View Full Version : The Shuto Kousoku Trial aka Freeway Speedway - Japanese Underground Races

ChicagoS14
07-30-2006, 07:56 PM
Perhaps some of you know about it, while others dont. This is what wikipedia has to say about it:

The Shuto Kousoku Trial (Japanese: 首都高速トライアルシリーズ, Translation: Megalopolis Expressway Trial) series is a series of six films about illegal expressway racing, made between 1987 to 1996. Made during one of the most notorious eras of street racing, when the MidNight Club ruled the scene and became one of the most infamous and feared car clubs in Japan. Also before they were banned from doing so, car magazines freely covered illegal races.

The first film

Keiichi Tsuchiya only came on hand from the first sequel, made in 1990. It was a semi biographical piece.

This film is believed to have influenced the The Fast and The Furious and Initial D.

Plot Summary

Shuto Kousoku Trial (1988)

Street racers challenge each other to exceed the current speed record held by the F1 racer. However, in order to break the record of the Shuto Expressway, you need to have "luck" in addition to a high-powered street-machine and driving technique. And you must be able to conquer "Devil's Curve" Racers bet their dreams and their lives against one another in a dangerous game of speed.

Shuto Kousoku Trial 3 (1991)

Former Megalopolis Express Freeway record holder Kyosuke has retired from street racing and now belongs to a pro racing team. One day while performing time trials, a Toyota Supra comes onto the track and challenges Kyosuke to a race, but he is no match for the former street racing record holder. Kyosuke is still haunted by that devastating crash that occurred on the Expressway a few years ago, which caused him to leave street racing. When Kyosuke hears his old rival, Yusuke has crashed on the freeway while racing the unknown Supra, Kyosuke returns to the Megalopolis Express Freeway for one last street race.

I have purchased a box set of these DVDs and so far are on part 3. There is a total of 6. And for old 80's movies they are pretty damn nice! The box set I purchased is originally from Hong Kong but has english subtitles. I found the description of the English release on DVD empire:

Before there was THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS, there was FREEWAY SPEEDWAY!

Street races challenge each other to exceed the current speed record. To break the record of the Megalopolis Express freeway, you need to have luck in addition to a high-powered street machine and driving technique. Races bet their dreams and their life against each other in a dangerous game of speed. Get ready for all six Freeway Speedway films including the never-before-seen sixth film.

# The Japanese version of The Fast And The Furious...made years before...
# All REAL car stunts, no CGI!
# The film series that is banned in Japan!
# Including the never-before-seen sixth chapter in the series. Never released in Japan or anywhere!

Did any of you guys watch it??? What do you guys think?

meteorite_flo
07-30-2006, 08:34 PM
this movie is so old. it has a good moral though. you get to see old school skyline's and stuff. i remember me and my friend said we're never racing each other on the freeway, and this is before i seen this movie. we tried to spread the word out about our views. but some of my friends kept doing it. and what did ya know? 2 of our friends went smashing on the way back from the club. and now i lost 2 friends. and one of the driver that's not in trouble. still fuckin does it. #[email protected]#%#%#@!%

07-30-2006, 08:48 PM
I have all 6 and they are pretty cool. I have had them for a while and haven't watched them for some time. I'll have to throw them in the old dvd player again.

What I really want to get is the wangan midnight movies. They are kinda hard to find with no subs or dubs to my knowledge.

ChicagoS14
07-31-2006, 08:53 AM
What I really want to get is the wangan midnight movies. They are kinda hard to find with no subs or dubs to my knowledge.

Wangan Midnight Movies??? Do you have any more information???? I like japanese racing movies, thats how I found out about the Shuto series. Its fun seeing old school cars and non CGI car scenes unlike all the stuff now, its more realistic.

TipStylez
07-31-2006, 09:09 AM
Wanna throw em on a torrent for me? =]

07-31-2006, 01:16 PM
Its fun seeing old school cars and non CGI car scenes unlike all the stuff now, its more realistic.

^^+1

Wangan Midnight. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNNeMfg4tDY&search=wangan%20)

Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wangan_Midnight)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/97/Midnightvol1.jpeg

If I find a good source for these movies I will let you know. I collect dvd's so I am looking for quality. So if you know of any quality source please let me know also.

ChicagoS14
08-01-2006, 02:01 AM
Wanna throw em on a torrent for me? =]

Torrents might take a while, considering my computer downloads 24/7 LOL. They are on DVD and burning them wouldnt be a problem, but then I would have to ship them to you.

ChicagoS14
08-01-2006, 02:03 AM
If I find a good source for these movies I will let you know. I collect dvd's so I am looking for quality. So if you know of any quality source please let me know also.

For sure. The Shuto Kouski Trial videos I have are on DVD I can burn them for you and ship them.

TipStylez
08-01-2006, 03:08 AM
^Yeah youl burn them and ship em for him and not me. boo

SilviaNinja240
08-01-2006, 03:21 AM
oh interesting! I never knew they made a movie of the series, I've read most of the comic, it'd be interesting to see the silver screen adaptation. I'll have to keep an eye out for it

08-01-2006, 07:17 AM
^If you find any good quality copies of the WM movies please let us know.

For sure. The Shuto Kouski Trial videos I have are on DVD I can burn them for you and ship them.

Sorry I ment I am looking for the wangan midnight movies. I already have all 6 of the Shuto Trial dvds. Thanks anyways!

ChicagoS14
08-01-2006, 05:20 PM
^Yeah youl burn them and ship em for him and not me. boo

Don't worry as soon as I get a chance Ill copy the DVDs. And as for everyone lets keep a look out for Wangan!!!! - Im on a quest myself!!!

Pennyman
08-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I have a downloaded copy of the Wangan Midnight movie that was linked off of a Z car website, let me see if I can find the link, OK?

Phlip
08-01-2006, 10:09 PM
WARNING
Torrents are not legal and we will not be the breeding ground for piracy, work your transaction via IM, not on the forum, thanks

08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Totally agree! Personally I buy all my dvds(700+) because I know how I would feel if someone pirated my work.

Guys PM me if you want the Wangan Midnight Manga(comic) in English! It's awesome! I'm not going to post the stuff here because technically it is illegal, but it's never been released in english language so personally I have no issue with this form of illegal activity.

ChicagoS14
08-01-2006, 11:54 PM
WARNING
Torrents are not legal and we will not be the breeding ground for piracy, work your transaction via IM, not on the forum, thanks

Not to be a dick, but Torrents are in fact legal or rather Torrent technology. Its the copyrighted material that is being transfered through them that isnt. So yah i agree with ya lets keep the downloads talk to PMs.

aznpoopy
08-02-2006, 01:07 PM
i watched the third one. it was ridiculously corny.

Chasmoore04
08-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Where did you buy them from?