PDA

View Full Version : I need some new music

staygold24
07-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey Ive kinda gotten tired of all of the old shit on ipod and need some new stuff. I used to be really into hardcore then kinda got into rap and now I kinda want some hip hop. Im not really into hip hop but would like some new stuff. All I really have is dilated peoples and lupe fiasco. Just throw me some good names and Ill get to downloading them.

Thanks

Tomslide50
07-26-2006, 01:43 PM
sage francis, atmosphere, mf doom, blueprint, soul position, murs, felt, brother ali, immortal technique, check out rhymesayers.com for some really good stuff.

mrmephistopheles
07-26-2006, 01:45 PM
I hear the RIAA band is pretty hardcore.

OMGWTFBBQ
07-26-2006, 01:49 PM
rap and hip hop arent the same thing ???

try Hollertronix you might like them

staygold24
07-26-2006, 01:49 PM
RIAA? Ill check out what you listed tomslide. I dont know I just consider rap and hip hop different. Rap to me is like pastor troy, lil wayne and stuff like that. Hip hop I think is slower and not trying to act all trill and stuff.

s13silvia03
07-26-2006, 02:19 PM
RIAA?...
Hardest motherfuckers ever!!!!!!

exitspeed
07-26-2006, 02:41 PM
I picked up the new Pharrell Williams Album in My Mind. It's pretty raw so far. I listened to about 5 tracks.

woodchuck
07-26-2006, 02:49 PM
rap and hip hop arent the same thing ???

try Hollertronix you might like them

not at all. check out the song "Honest Expression" by Binary Star. you'll understand the difference.

As for some groups to listen to: People Under the Stairs, Timemachine and Giant Panda always top my list.

SimpleS14
07-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Rap consist of more flowing and spitting lyrics, while hip-hop is more upbeat and consist of a catchy chorus (sometimes another signer doing it).

That is my theory.

I don't listen to rap or hip-hop much anymore...now its trance...just recently got AVB: State of trance 2006 and Tiesto: Search for Sunrise v5

exitspeed
07-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Rap consist of more flowing and spitting lyrics, while hip-hop is more upbeat and consist of a catchy chorus (sometimes another signer doing it).

That is my theory.

Actually it's the other way around. REAL Hip Hop is the more real and underground stuff. Rap is the more mainstream.

I personally prefer artists who transcend the limits of both...

sw20>>s14
07-26-2006, 03:22 PM
I picked up the new Pharrell Williams Album in My Mind. It's pretty raw so far. I listened to about 5 tracks.
i was thinking about picking it up...let us know how it is...i always liked pharrell and the neptunes...

why dont you give alternative/indie/punk a try? maybe some 80s new wave (old, but maybe new to you?)? always rocks my socks...

OMGWTFBBQ
07-26-2006, 03:29 PM
I guess it's similar to the differance between techno and trance??
to the untrained ear it sounds the same..

if you wanted to get some rock/punk/alternative tracks I could reccomend a few artists

exitspeed
07-26-2006, 03:31 PM
i was thinking about picking it up...let us know how it is...i always liked pharrell and the neptunes...

I can telll you already in the first 5 songs that dude's seriously stepped it up lyrically. I was rolling around during lunch listening and there were numerous times I was like "whaaaaaaaat??? DUDE SNAPPED!!!" Seriously. Go snatch a copy.

exitspeed
07-26-2006, 03:34 PM
I always wanted to know if there were any albums that were on the level of the first NERD album. All the tracks make up a musical gumbo that is just perfect. It was so fresh (in the literal meaning) to me becuase I couldn't place the album in a Genre. Kinda like Crazy by Gnarles Barlkey.

MrBrightSide
07-26-2006, 03:45 PM
not really new... but fuck all the new shit... Cant seem to put this CD down... 'Killarmy - Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars' ... copp it if you're a die hard wu fan...
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000003AFE.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Best track: http://youtube.com/watch?v=uD45wTy-4Qs&search=killarmy%20-

exitspeed
07-26-2006, 03:50 PM
not really new... but fuck all the new shit... Cant seem to put this CD down... 'Killarmy - Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars' ... copp it if you're a die hard wu fan...

If your gonna get Wu Albums then GZA Liquid Swords is also a must. And while your at it: 36 Chambers, and Forever.

MrBrightSide
07-26-2006, 03:52 PM
^^^ I didnt mention those because.... cmon now... you should already have those... Killarmy was underrated... no one really knew much of them

staygold24
07-26-2006, 04:42 PM
I guess it's similar to the differance between techno and trance??
to the untrained ear it sounds the same..

if you wanted to get some rock/punk/alternative tracks I could reccomend a few artists

Ill take some reccomendations for some of that. And for hardcore I was talkin bout bands like terror and old school minor threat and stuff like that. I dont know if thats the kind yall thought I was talkin about.

Helghast
07-26-2006, 05:06 PM
http://www.myspace.com/simplecitizensmusic
Jazz/Hip Hop.

Also check the "Sergio Mendes" Compilation.
also Jazz/Hip Hop..

that's what I'm into right now..and I'm looking for more.

Ghettokracker71
07-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Check out the guy named "Scribe" . I can't remeber the exact songs I really like by him,but everything I have heard,I liked. I also like the new Gnarls Barkley "crazy" song. You seem to like rap/hip-hop,if you don't mind spanish/reggaeton another personal favorite is the entire album "Bario Fino" by Daddy Yankee (and of course his new single "Rompe").

S14DB
07-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeah that RIAA shit is hardcore!

A Spec Products
07-26-2006, 05:35 PM

OH HELL YEAH

one of my personal favs of all time

the new jurassic 5 album is dropping... i think the title was "feedback"

the j5 crew was on power106 this morning talking about it

i briefly heard some tracks off it, typical fire from one of west coasts finests crews

oh and Rick Ross - Port of Miami is droppin soon too

RICKY RAWWWWWWWS.

HyperTek
07-26-2006, 06:43 PM
any one listen to Camp Lo?

anyways, not rap, but im wating for BT's new album comin out
http://www.thisbinaryuniverse.com/

ManoNegra
07-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Rap - attitude, posturing, misogyny, in it for the $$$$$, studio-made artists
Hip Hop - conciousness, awareness, social comentary, style, skills, party, dj, mcs, breakers, graffitti... all the elements

New J5 is tyte, if you dug their last two albums then you'll like the new one as well.

Cut Chemist's The Audience is Listening is dope. Favorite album right now.

Pharell is a joke as a performer. Although the NERD album had it's moments. Tired or his ice-cream-diamond-encrusted-nigo-ass-kissing-wanna-be-skater-ass. Couln't finish listening to his new one - too fucken prententious.

- Fatboy Slim's Greatest Hits: Why Try Harder? is good too

- The Coup's Pick a Bigger Weapon if you like funk and political awarness in your Hip Hop.

- Kool Keith's Nagatco Rd (Dr. Octagon backwards) is dope but a concept album. Not for everyone.

A Spec Products
07-26-2006, 08:23 PM
any one listen to Camp Lo?

This is it WHAT
Luchini fallin from the sky
Lets get rich WHAT

camp lo was kinda one hit wonder for me....im sure they did some other good joints but they fell off quick

anyone catch The Game's new track? i forget the name of it, but it was aiiight, i'm anticipating his new album coming out...they played his stuff on power106 yesterday i think...

THE WEST COAST IS BACK

oh and I might duck shots on this one, but i got mad respect for pharrell. that foo's got swagger people only dream of. everyone bites his style game, im actually even feelin his new skateboard ice creams...and i hate reebok and i hate the old ice creams....

oh yea, and the clipse hell hath no fury joint is gonna be a banger, for sure. at first i wasnt feelin "mr me too" but after listening to it a couple times, that shit (as much of their other stuff) is addicting...

dig in the crates for "grindin", "ma i don't love her", etc

staygold24
07-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Rap - attitude, posturing, misogyny, in it for the $$$$$, studio-made artists thats why Im gettin tired of it. Its all about getting fucked up, baby mamas and how hard you are and how hard you hustle now. I still like some guys like dsgb, pastor troy and three 6 at times but its all gettin too played out.

Thanks for the input guys I already looked up atmosphere and some other person on rhymesayers and really like their shit.

MrBrightSide
07-27-2006, 02:15 AM
atmosphere = emo rap

ManoNegra
07-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Well if you're into the 'downtempo' or 'ambience' or 'louge-hop'.. whatever it's called nowadays then I would recommend:

DJ krush
The Herbalizer
Fila Brazilia
Thievery Coorporation
Groove Armada
The Orbital
Tricky
Massive Attack
Cornershop

exitspeed
07-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Just an update on Pharell's album:

The second half of the album is more R&B-ish. The tracks are still hot though. Over all I'd give the album a 7. It's not a classic like Reasonable Doubt or In Search Of, but it's worth the $12...

WERDdabuilder
07-28-2006, 03:30 AM
just copped the new J5. still need to peep it tho.

playin the new Inspectah Deck right now. sounds good always.

been listening to alot of mixtapes lately. always good shit.

DL Incognito..yall need to check this canadian cat out.

Little Egypt, just listening to their Straight Out the Sands album last night. good stuff.

Clipse...when is he droppin a new album? love his style, shits raw. been listening to his latest singles and shit but cant wait for a new album.

Roots?! get em!

ps. westcoast never will make a comeback. =P

quasimoto
07-28-2006, 03:59 AM
some artists on my current playlist:
big L, quasimoto, immortal technique, zion-i, gorillaz, swollen members, aesop rock, abstract rude, black star, 7L & Esoteric, cunninlynguists, visionaries, gang starr, jedi mind tricks, last emperor, tonedeff, ugly duckling.. etc

As mentioned before, rhymesayers is a good source. Also, you can check out labels such as stonesthrow.com and upabove.com.

Rock the Bells has quite a line-up this year, should check that out also:
rockthebells.net/aug_5/

exitspeed
07-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Clipse...when is he droppin a new album? love his style, shits raw. been listening to his latest singles and shit but cant wait for a new album.

Clipse is a group...

WERDdabuilder
07-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Clipse is a group...

yes i know. even tho i stated it as "he" i ment pusha.

BrokenHeart
07-29-2006, 05:33 PM
im gonna have to disagree on pharrell's album...i just got done throwing it out the window of the car

The Island
07-30-2006, 03:00 AM
"Rap is what we do. Hip-Hop is what we live" - KRS ONE

exitspeed
07-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Also Gnarles Barkley's album is very good. I cannot place it in a genre specifically. It has a very original sound. I think it would apeal to rock, rap, alternative, funk fans.

sushimonster
07-31-2006, 09:53 PM
not exactly new but very good songs

binary star - freaky flows
DJ Krush & Toshinori Kondo - Iu-Yu
hexstatic - ninja tune
smashing pumpkins - 1979
nada surf - amatuer
mr children - sign
akeboshi - wind