PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Fast Food? CHEAP EASY FAST MEALS TO COOK

SiI40sx
07-25-2006, 04:35 PM
So yeah share your fast easy cheap meals to cook? I have a couple...

The obvious spaghetti, not hard at all

Buy Pasta, and Prego (the meatsauce one is bomb) and some parmesian(sp) cheese

basically big pan boil water throw pasta in til they become soft, empty water out, microwave the prego

pasta, prego, and parmesian cheese bam! spaghetti ! and it will all usually cost like less than $10 all together and u cook up like 5-6 plates. So $2 a plate spagghetti? not bad

Another eaasy one is by chicken in a can (its good trust me) buy some corn in a can and hopefully u already have mayo and bread but if not get that too.

Open up the chicken, pour it in a bowl smash it up, add as much mayo as ud perfer smash it up with the chicken, and add the corn, mix well. Get bread and spread ur little mix! Bam! bomb ass sandwhiches. Easily make like 6-8 sandwhiches for less than 10 as well.

Theres also ur ramen receipes. Basically ramen with added protien, mix in any chicken or meats u can find and bam! Easy Mac is easy to make too =P

fuck i got hungry....your turn!!!

SpeedMonkeyInc
07-25-2006, 04:51 PM
Rad I like the sound of that chicken sandwich idea! Thanks.

I do something similar to your spaghetti. I get a bag of the dry tortolini and a tub of pesto. I add sauteed garlic and chili flakes in olive oil and top with shredded parmesian. Use the olive oil that is in the pesto already ( drains easy ) so you don't add more oil.

I like to make casadillas. Whatever beans you like ( I prefer black re-fried ) chipotle chillies in out of the can, frozen corn, peper, salt, chili flakes, and sometimes I will add vegitarian ground "beef" aka TVP ( textured vegtible protine ) just put it all together in a pot and heat. Then mix in cooked rice.
Tortilla in a pan with shredded cheeze, melt the cheeze and brown the tortilla, scoop the mix and done!

SiI40sx
07-25-2006, 04:59 PM
I like to make casadillas. Whatever beans you like ( I prefer black re-fried ) chipotle chillies in out of the can, frozen corn, peper, salt, chili flakes, and sometimes I will add vegitarian ground "beef" aka TVP ( textured vegtible protine ) just put it all together in a pot and heat. Then mix in cooked rice. Tortilla in a pan with shredded cheeze, melt the cheeze and brown the tortilla, scoop the mix and done!

so what is that? like a cheese-a-dilla with that mix?

oh btw the chicken sandwhich one, you can also eat that with salted crackers! bomb snack

SpeedMonkeyInc
07-25-2006, 05:04 PM
oops I ment quesadilla. yeah pretty much. A quesadilla is anything from just cheese in a tortilla to the works as far as I know. I am not an athority on the matter though.

drift-it
07-25-2006, 05:35 PM
I like to take a tortilla, put in a pan with a little oil. Then put on some marinara sauce along with some mozzerela cheese. And if I'm not too lazy some salami/pepperoni/chicken, and wala a pizza in ten minutes.

West
07-25-2006, 05:38 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=48850&highlight=ramen

Keep reading, it gets creative :)

SiI40sx
07-25-2006, 05:40 PM
really? hmm what kind of torilla do u use thou? corn or flower? and the sauce how do u prepare it? do u heat it up or waht?

'90RPS13
07-25-2006, 05:44 PM
That chicken sandwich sounds dank. I usually just whip up some Hotdogs and Beans w/ Mustard and Ketchup.

Also, Mac and cheese w/ some mustard. Its dank too. *a

aznpoopy
07-25-2006, 05:57 PM
if you guys have an asian market near you, look for premarinated meat.

the han ah reum by me sells premarinated chicken breast and sliced beef. throw it in the fridge and you got enough meat for the next few days. it's pretty cheap too, and tasty.

cooking is mad easy. break out the wok. put some oil on it. sautee the meat for about 5 minutes. use the same oil to cook veggies or whatever afterwards. the flavor cooks into it real quick.

Edgar
07-25-2006, 06:08 PM
I dont know if you guys workout and keep up with your protien or what not.

I do this and it taste awsome

1 Can Of tuna (in water)
3 spoons of tomato sauce
mix it
some non salted crackers

eat away

ill post some more later

SiI40sx
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
if you guys have an asian market near you, look for premarinated meat.

the han ah reum by me sells premarinated chicken breast and sliced beef. throw it in the fridge and you got enough meat for the next few days. it's pretty cheap too, and tasty.

cooking is mad easy. break out the wok. put some oil on it. sautee the meat for about 5 minutes. use the same oil to cook veggies or whatever afterwards. the flavor cooks into it real quick.

nah the meat I usually cook is called Milanesa, its hella cheap and bomb. Very easy to prepare too. Buy the pack for like $8-12 for like 1+lb i think (not sure about the amounts) but I do know its a lot more inexpensive than other meats at ralphs nstuff

So Yeah Buy Pack, buy lemons (small green ones) some torillas and some premade (or if u know how) salsa.

Get the meat, add the lemon juice to marinate it, fire up the pan, put any type of non-stick oil u want, and just throw the meat on there and cook it the way u like, as for me I like to add the torillas on there while the meat is cooking to absorb the lemon juice left over, once cooked sliced it up and make some taco's or cook up some ramen and add the slices of meat to the noddles!

woodchuck
07-25-2006, 06:28 PM
here is a variation on the pasta that my girlfriend introduced me to:
boil up some rigatoni (the spiral pasta), spice up some canned chilli (beans or no beans it doesn't matter) and mix together. some place in pasta place in the east coast serves chilli and pasta.

also (via my girlfriend) somen noodles son! they're thinner and served cold like soba noodles. this is some real JDM shit right here! boil them up, drain, and rinse in cold water. add sesame oil and memi sauce. step up yo game and add spam, cut up scrambled eggs, scallions, and japenese cucmbers. it really hits the spot on a hot summer day.

SiI40sx
07-25-2006, 06:30 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=48850&highlight=ramen

Keep reading, it gets creative :)

hey west how do u do the egg one?? u cook the ramen in a pan and while theres water in it do u throw in the egg? or do u throw in the egg after u empty out the water? kinda noobish i know

DJPimpFlex
07-25-2006, 06:46 PM
OK the ramen one you cook the ramen, drain ALL the water and then add a egg for every packet of ramen. Add the seasoning packets at the same time too.

boosteds13
07-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Man, these food ideas are no better than fast food, healthwise (save for Edgar's tuna). Although there is an easy favorite of mine I'll share--

American Shephards Pie--

1 lb lean ground beef
2 cups instant mashed potatoes (or make real mashed potatoes if you aren't lazy)
1 can of corn.
casserole dish

Brown the hamburger in the frying pan and prepare the potatoes.
In a casserole dish-- Bottom layer hamburger, then corn, mashed potatoes on top. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350* for 30mins.

SpeedMonkeyInc
07-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Well, my beans and rice mix is healthy and low fat if you don't do the grilled tortilla and cheeze.

The biggest part of my diet that is unhealthy is snack food. I am terrible about it. What I do to keep my self from eating too much junkfood is I keep apples, bannas, oranges, real yogurt and mix it with fruit preserves ( none of that Dannon type garbage, real yogurt has maybe three or four ingredients ) raw nuts like almonds and walnuts, and superfood. You can make a totally satifying breakfast or lunch with a few pieces of fruit, a cup of yogurt, and a cup of nuts.
Then I cook a frozen pizza for dinner :smash:

WWW.RACEONUSA.COM
07-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Any combination of things that fit on the George Forman grill.. :bigok:

SiI40sx
07-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Man, these food ideas are no better than fast food, healthwise (save for Edgar's tuna). Although there is an easy favorite of mine I'll share--

American Shephards Pie--

1 lb lean ground beef
2 cups instant mashed potatoes (or make real mashed potatoes if you aren't lazy)
1 can of corn.
casserole dish

Brown the hamburger in the frying pan and prepare the potatoes.
In a casserole dish-- Bottom layer hamburger, then corn, mashed potatoes on top. Bake in pre-heated oven at 350* for 30mins.

you comment my thread and I shall stand by my thread!

First off the purpose was being tired of eating the same fast food over and over again. And second it was ment for the cooking to be simple and fast. 30min baking who can wait! >.< Im hungry now! And I never said any of the receipes were going to be heathly ! =P

drift-it
07-25-2006, 09:59 PM
Not sure who you were talking to but w/e a better idea on how to make it. mmmmmmmm:yum:

really? hmm what kind of torilla do u use thou? corn or flower? and the sauce how do u prepare it? do u heat it up or waht?

You gotta get the burrito size and they're flower. I put in a little bit of oil and spread it around to make the tortilla crispy. Then like any red marinara sauce is good, not too much or it'll spill into the rest of the pan. Then let that sit on the stove for like 8 min at low/medium heat or until the cheese melts. I love them.

wootwoot
07-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Heres a really good one, go frickin fishing =)

S13SilviaGirl
07-26-2006, 03:02 AM
I like to get the won ton wrappers and fry them...
Put in cheese and meat or just plain.

also;

chicken enchilada casserole;

layer of green sauce, layer of corn tortillas, shredded (cooked chiken), shredded cheese, onions, olives, jalapenos (if U like em) layer to the top...after final layer of tortillas is on put more green sauce and cheese and olives.
Cover with foil. Cook at 350 for 30 min. great re-heated.

SiI40sx
07-26-2006, 03:32 AM
lol dammit! your 30min dishes sounds pretty good but Im hungry now!! lol my thread is titled CHEAP EASY FAST lol come on people! lets stay on topic, my chicken sandwhiches literally take like 5min to make even the milanesa meat doesnt take long to cook

btw that won ton wrapper thing sounds bomb, kinda like ravioli(sp) huh? what oil do u use to fry them?

the head
07-26-2006, 08:23 AM
I use chicken and flank steak (very lean but still inexpensive) cut into bite sized pieces some lemon juice, garlic, soy, fire oil to cook it in on the stove over high heat for a few min. Slice a small red onion a half of a green or yellow pepper and grab a half pound of snow peas. Once meat has had a few minutes to cook thow veggies on top add some chili sauce (also have had decent luck with some teriaki or citrus marinades) and let sit on medium heat for another couple of min. all total you are looking at between 5 and 10 min

I usually make some noodles or rice to put this over but it is just as good without. Used to make it with Tofu as well just for added protine but it is harder to find now that I moved.

S13SilviaGirl
07-26-2006, 10:18 AM
lol dammit! your 30min dishes sounds pretty good but Im hungry now!! lol my thread is titled CHEAP EASY FAST lol come on people! lets stay on topic, my chicken sandwhiches literally take like 5min to make even the milanesa meat doesnt take long to cook

btw that won ton wrapper thing sounds bomb, kinda like ravioli(sp) huh? what oil do u use to fry them?

Just regular vegie oil...heat up in a frying pan (old crappy one) and lay them in the oil. Flip em, and dry them off on a paper towel. Just don't leave them in too long or they burn hella easy. 10-15 secs is usually sufficient, just depends onhow hot the oil is.

sepulchral
07-26-2006, 10:39 AM
Barb-Q Chipped Chicken (KICK THE SHIT OUT OF CHIC_FIL_A:

Girlfriend gave me this recipe, it is the fucking bomb.

1) One bag KC Masterpiece BBQ Chips crushed up into a bowl.
2) One or Two chicken breasts, fat cut off, and dice chicken to marble sized pieces.
3) Bowl of egg wash (beaten eggs)
4) Bowl of all-purpose flour
5) Greased baking pan(s)

DirectionS:
(get ready to get your hands dirty!)

- Preheat oven 350 degree F
- Coat diced raw chicken with flour and shake off excess. Do a handfull at a time.
-put floured chicken in egg wash, lift chicken out and let excess egg drain back into bowl.
-Put eggwashed chicken into bowl with crushed bbq chips, coat chicken pieces with chips.
-Scatter chipped chicken on the greased pan
-Cook for 10 mins or until chips start to brown.
(i always let my chicken stay a little tender so i cook about 8 minutes)

Enjoy!

alexchanman
07-26-2006, 10:54 AM
okay, time to school you fools. my special tuna and slsa sandwiches.

its exactly what it sounds like. you take your tuna, and get all the liquid out. then you add some salsa, i prefer real spicy, then you mix and bam slap it on some bread and you have yourself a yummy snack. you can also toast the bread.

SiI40sx
07-26-2006, 12:42 PM
okay, time to school you fools. my special tuna and slsa sandwiches.

its exactly what it sounds like. you take your tuna, and get all the liquid out. then you add some salsa, i prefer real spicy, then you mix and bam slap it on some bread and you have yourself a yummy snack. you can also toast the bread.

foo my chicken mayo and corn sandwhich is all over that!! u could also use tuna like u for mine =P

SiI40sx
07-27-2006, 04:08 PM
im hungry again... =\

hendogg8
07-28-2006, 01:24 AM
Another eaasy one is by chicken in a can (its good trust me) buy some corn in a can and hopefully u already have mayo and bread but if not get that too.

Open up the chicken, pour it in a bowl smash it up, add as much mayo as ud perfer smash it up with the chicken, and add the corn, mix well. Get bread and spread ur little mix! Bam! bomb ass sandwhiches. Easily make like 6-8 sandwhiches for less than 10 as well.

Wow, I actually learned a variation of that a long time ago. You can use either the chicken breast chunks in a can, or left-over turkey (my fav). Toss it in the mayo along with diced up pieces of celery and yellow raisins. Serve over bread or crackers too. It's great for the late night munchies while watching Conan or something.

s13poop
07-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Mo Fuggen tuna melt:

1 can O' tuna
2 pieces of bread
1 slice of american cheese
drain tuna and put it in a bowl
get a spoonfull of mayo and mix accordingly
toast 2 breads
dice up some fresh tamaters or an avacodo (whichever you perfer) and some lettuce

throw the tuna in the bread and melt the cheese throw the avacodo, lettuce and tomato

BAM!!

bomb ass sandwhich :)

kensreliableb18b
07-28-2006, 11:25 AM
OK the ramen one you cook the ramen, drain ALL the water and then add a egg for every packet of ramen. Add the seasoning packets at the same time too.

so wait, that eggs raw? dont get me wrong, it sounds good and i'd still eat it. hahahaha....i just want to make sure if thats what you meant.

EndLeSS8
07-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Chicken/ Beef/ whatever the hell curry on rice

Pack of chicken skinless thighs at albertsons or whatnot, or lean beef, cubed = $5
Japanese cubed curry = $3 on sale
Rice = $3 a bag

extra:
onion = $0.50

Takes a total of about 20 mins, BUT you get at least 2 large meals or 3 meals.

1. Cook rice in rice cooker
2. Sear chicken or beef, or meat, and add any flavoring/seasoning you want (I usually add mustard sauce and soy sauce, with ground pepper. It works well)
3. Drain oil (from chicken only)
4. Throw chicken in a pot, and set on high.
5. Add a cup or cup and half of water
6. Add 2 cubes of curry, and boil for 10 mins, until thick or what you feel
7. Add more seasoning
8. Serve over rice

the onion would be cut up and put in btwn #4 and #5

Edgar
07-28-2006, 01:41 PM

2) One or Two chicken breasts, fat cut off, and dice chicken to marble sized pieces.
5) Greased baking pan(s)

DirectionS:

- Coat diced raw chicken with flour and shake off excess. Do a handfull at a time.
-put floured chicken in egg wash, lift chicken out and let excess egg drain back into bowl.
-Put eggwashed chicken into bowl with crushed bbq chips, coat chicken pieces with chips.

Enjoy!

this sounds real tasty

oOdextaOo
07-28-2006, 02:05 PM
to add to the previous chicken salad recipes, topping a chicken salad sandwich off with sriracha hot sauce is quite possibly the best thing since sliced bread.

also, adding a fried egg to a hamburger/gardenburger/etc. is also a good route.

SiI40sx
10-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Just invented something BOMB!!!!

Ok so I was eating Lays (Limon Flavor) with sour cream, but these lays also taste bomb with tapatio, and i was like fuck I dont wanna dip each flimsy chip into the sour cream then pour a little bit of tapatio on each chip at a time, took me like 2 second, then I went to get a bowl and a spoon....

Lays Chips, crunch them up
Sour Cream (mix at your desired amount)
Tapatio (mix at your desired amount)

I blended the three in a bowl for a while, and BAM!!! Some BOMB ass chip mix with tapatio!!

SiI40sx
08-06-2007, 11:55 PM

5) Greased baking pan(s)

DirectionS:

Enjoy!

aw man it sucks that he's banned because his directions don't make sense. He states Preheat oven 350 degree F but yet he states 5) Greased baking pan(s) so is he cooking these things in a pan or in the oven??

Matej
08-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Prego is the worst name for a food ever, it makes me think of pregnant women.

markyboi
08-07-2007, 12:05 AM
ingredients:
4 boneless chicken breast
1 can campbell's cream of mushroom soup

1.thaw the chicken and place it on a oven safe dish.
2.preheat oven to 350F
3.pour the soup (right out of the can) on the chicken and spread it evenly
4.cover dish (chicken + soup) and place it in oven
5.cooking time will vary depending on your oven, but usually 25-30 mins, or until it it is cooked.

-will go great with pasta or rice

optional:
1. make the pasta of your choice or cook some rice while waiting for the chicken.

midnight zenki
08-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Hoisin Lettuce wraps

Ingredients:
Ground Turkey/Pork/Beef/whatever meat you desire.
Hoisin sauce added at your discretion
Chopped Chives
Boston Lettuce

Directions:
Brown meat, turn heat down to simmer and add chopped chives and Hoisin sauce then stir and let simmer for a couple of minuets. Peel off as many leaves of the boston lettuce you want and simply add the meat. Wrap it up B and enjoy. Stupid easy, mad delicious:yum:

aznpoopy
08-07-2007, 08:48 AM
aw man it sucks that he's banned because his directions don't make sense. He states Preheat oven 350 degree F but yet he states 5) Greased baking pan(s) so is he cooking these things in a pan or in the oven??

you are cooking them on a pan which is placed in the oven

if you dont grease the surface the food will get stuck to the pan as it bakes inside the oven

Unholy S14
08-07-2007, 09:20 AM
this thread rocks

SiI40sx
08-07-2007, 09:32 AM
you are cooking them on a pan which is placed in the oven

if you dont grease the surface the food will get stuck to the pan as it bakes inside the oven

ohhh i c thanks, posi rep

exitspeed
08-07-2007, 10:18 AM
For everyone to enjoy:

Mel's Spicy Buttermilk Chicken Sammich's (another original recipe from me)

Make as many sammiches as you want

Chicken breasts
Good Kaiser Rolls (the ones by the deli)
Carton of Buttermilk
Provolone or Munster Cheese (what ever you prefer)
Peanut oil (or veg oil if you don't want to splurge for the peanut oil)
1 1/2 tbls Olive Oil
1/4 cup Crystal Brand Hot Sauce
2 Jalapeno's
1/2 Vadallia Onion (or any sweet yellow onion)

Prep:
Clean and trim chicken breast. Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. I also like to use some Emeril Essence for seasoning too. In a large plastic bag add the chicken and enough Buttermilk to cover the breasts well, and the hot sauce. Add more or less hotsauce to taste. Now let them marinate for at least an hour if possible. The longer then sit the better. Go pull and engine or something.

Julian the Peppers and onion. There's no science to how I cut'em really. It's just however you prefer'em.

Cook:
Fill a heavy skillet (preferable cast iron if you are lucky enough to have one) about a quarter with oil. Heat til hot. You know it's ready when you drop a drop of water on it and it goes nuts.

Remove chicken and and let excess marinade (buttermilk) drip off. Drop two breasts at a time into the hot oil and cook til golden brown and cooked through.

Meanwhile in another skillet add about the olive oil. Add peppers and onions to pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent and peppers are soft.

If you have a spare minute you can also make a nice dressing too. Combine some Mayo or Maricle whip with some hotsauce to taste and your done.

Assemble:
Put a breast on a roll. Next a slice of the cheese. Pile high with peppers and onions, and lastly the dressing.

That shits fresh-tastic.

S14TEVE
08-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Mo Fuggen tuna melt:

1 can O' tuna
2 pieces of bread
1 slice of american cheese
drain tuna and put it in a bowl
get a spoonfull of mayo and mix accordingly
toast 2 breads
dice up some fresh tamaters or an avacodo (whichever you perfer) and some lettuce

throw the tuna in the bread and melt the cheese throw the avacodo, lettuce and tomato

BAM!!

bomb ass sandwhich :)

damn that sounds bomb.

I've made this for my fiance a couple times. She loves it.. it only takes like 30 minutes.. I saw it on the food network.

Shrimp Scampi with Linguini

1 pound linguini
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 shallots, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves

For the pasta, put a large pot of water on the stove to boil. When it has come to the boil, add a couple of tablespoons of salt and the linguini. Stir to make sure the pasta separates; cover. When the water returns to a boil, cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the pasta is not quite done. Drain the pasta.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes (if using) until the shallots are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper; add them to the pan and cook until they have turned pink, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan; set aside and keep warm. Add wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil. When the butter has melted, return the shrimp to the pan along with the parsley and cooked pasta. Stir well and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over a bit more olive oil and serve immediately.

SexPanda
08-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Well, go to mcd's and order your food. when your almost done, find a small insect and put it in your fries. Make sure its dead, more believable.

I got a free meal today.

bchumley
08-07-2007, 04:26 PM
my standby meal has become one of a couple different Boca Burgers. My favorite right now couldn't be easier and pretty good too:
1 boca burger spicy chicken patty
little bit of mayo
4-5 jalapeno slices out of a jar (or i'm sure fresh would be good too)

I heat up the boca in a frying pan with a little bit of cooking spray.
while that's heating, i dice up the jalapeno slices real fine and mix them in a little bowl with the mayo. throw the goods on some toast or a sandwich bun and you're good to go. I was wanting a hot chipotle mayo effect when i put this together. i'll probably make some changes when this gets old.

Also, the all-american boca burgers taste good if you just put them together like a normal burger. fast and easy. i'm not a vegetarian, but if i want a burger, i'm not always into the added hassle of using the grill or george foreman.

s13Dr1ft
08-07-2007, 05:34 PM
toast some bread...take a American cheese single, place it between the bread. Put in microwave for 20 seconds. BOOOM ghetto fabulous non-grilled cheese sammich. I ate 4 last night.

Fried bologona...ghetto cheap

Hell you said cheap and easy.

thejapino
08-07-2007, 06:16 PM
I swear this dish is SO EASY and SO GOOD. I

Spaghetti with Burnt Butter

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup Mizithra cheese (if you can't find this use Ricotta Salata)
pasta of choice
Optional: (minced garlic & basil)

Directions:

There is a terrific dish served by The Old Spaghetti Factory chain, called Spaghetti with Browned Butter,. It is served topped with shredded Mizithra cheese (a Greek hard cheese). If mizithra is not available (I am able to easily locate it St. Louis at cheese shops and some supermarkets), a blend of ricotta salata and romano is suggested

Browned Butter Procedure: Cut 2 sticks of butter into 8 pieces and place in a 2-quart sauce pan. Place the pan of butter on a burner on medium heat. Bring butter to a slow boil (about 5 minutes).

Once the butter begins to boil, stir constantly to prevent residue from sticking to the bottom of the pan. As the butter cooks, it will start to foam and rise. Continue stirring, otherwise the butter foam could overflow (about 5 minutes) and catch fire.

Once the butter stops foaming and rising, cook until amber in color (about 1 to 2 minutes). It will have a pleasant caramel aroma.

Turn off the heat and remove pan from burner. Let the sediment settle to the bottom of the pan for a few minutes.

Pour the brown butter through a strainer into a small bowl. Do not disturb the residue at the bottom of the pan.

The brown butter can be stored in the refrigerator and reheated in a microwave as needed.

Boil the pasta of choice until Al Dente. Drain pasta and divide into four servings. Spread 1/4 cup of Mizithra over each pasta serving. Top with 1/4 cup of hot brown butter

seantwopointone
08-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Fried Rice

What you need:
1- how much left over rice you have or wish to eat
2- two or three eggs per person (make sure to mix them)
3- soy sauce (not the cheap kind)
4- oil

Optional

1- green onions
2- any left over meat
3- vegetables

Directions

1- Set stove to high and heat pan or work with oil.
2- Set the mixed eggs into the pan. If the pan is hot enough the eggs should crackel and pop. (or if you got any vegs throw them in now)
3- About 10 seconds later mix in the rice.
4- Mix well and make sure the peices of eggs are separated
4a add whatever pre cooked meat you have
5- Add soy sauce. (Not too much)
6- Add a fair bit of salt
7- Add green onions

Beef Stri Fry

Before I start, this is how my dad made it for me when i was growing up. This is not really like alot of the food you get at Chinese take out places, this is REAL home made mom and pop stuff. And this is the basics of stri fry (from what I was taught). How it tastes depends on the order you cook the food in (IMO).

What you need.
1-beef - idealy flank steak realized this kinda ruins the cheap idea. But its like four bucks for I think a pound (at least in my area). If you use cheap cuts it'll taste like leather.
2-Corn starch
3-Good soy suace
4-oil
5-green onions
6- Garlic and ginger
7- Salt (and/or Tony Chachere's if you are like me)

Optional

Almost any vegetable. Especially brocoli and potatoes.
*On a side note, if you are making brocoli it is a good idea to preboil it first and then shock it in a bath of cold water or eles its way too crunchy, unless thats you like it like that. As with potatoes you just leave it to cook longer, ends up looking like a stew.

Pre-Cooking Tasks

1- Slice beef into thin strips, when I mean thin. I mean almost paper thin.
2- Take the sliced beef and put in a mixing bowl with enough corn strach to lightly coat everything. Add soy sauce and mix. This will make the gravy (aka sludge) and it will make the taste beef friggin' awesome. At this point add salt (or Tonys).
3- Take each clove of garlic smash it with your knife and cut it into small peices. This will release the garlic's aroma (sp?) same with the ginger.
4- Cutt veges thin as well.

Directions

1- Set stove to high or medium high. Put oil in wok (or pan but work does work better) and let the oil come to tempature.
2- Mix in your garlic and ginger.
3- Soon after throw in beef with corn strach and soy sauce mix.
4- Spread everything around evenly.
5- If you have any hard root vege such as carrots, cerely (major sp there) poatoes. Throw it in now and turn down the heat a tad and let it simmer. If you have soft veges, tomatoes, pre cooked corn, lectuce. Wait until the beef is 80% cooked and then throw it in.
6- Stir add tiny bit of soy sauce or salt depending on how salty and thin you want it. (if you are unsure of how much salt to add. Taste test before and after)
7- At this point there should be a slightly brown gravy come out of the beef. And if you wish add green onions (what I like is to cut the green onions vertically so you get nice long strips then sweat them lightly).
8- It should be done to make sure taste it.

It might take you a few tries to get it down to what you like, but the total cost for one person might be 3-4 bucks depending on how fancy you want it.

hitman
08-07-2007, 08:12 PM
go to costco and buy chicekn breast huge bag frozen its like 13$ for like 20 peices. then defrost 2 peices, cut them into slices, put it in a pan and pour terryaki sauce on it while its cooking. then towards the end hit it with a little brown sugar on the top and some pepper. then get those biscuits like the pillsberry doghboy and make some rice or something too. cheap easy ggood chicks love it

LB.Motoring
08-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Your gf likes it matt.

BobbyDigi
08-07-2007, 09:02 PM
pasta, prego, and parmesian cheese bam! spaghetti ! and it will all usually cost like less than $10 all together and u cook up like 5-6 plates. So $2 a plate spagghetti? not bad
!!!

believe it or not, most ethnic (italian) staple foods are cheap and easy to make... hence why they are "Staple" foods....

Im just busting your chops man, i love spaghetti!!! And it is incredibly cheap to make, last might i made a feast... i bought whole wheat angel hair for 2.15, super healthy organic red sauce for 3.00, and a thing of cheese for 2.79... and you were right, it made like 6 meals!

Another cheap meal is making a huge wok of stir fry, just soem chicken, veggies, and noodles, you'll get 5-6 portions out of it for about 15 bucks!

89dc240
08-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Wow, great thread. Not sure I've seen so many posts in a row with no bashing.

So get your box of whatever brand or flavor of macaroni and cheese goin on the stove. Ina pot bigger than needed.

Cook it up all the way, do the whole thing with the milk, the butter, and the powder. Dump in a can of baked beans, like a medium sized can I suppose, then add a pack of sliced up hotdogs. Cook til the dogs plump.

Hearty as hell, cheap, easy, good and lasts so long you'll get tired of it.

DJPimpFlex
08-14-2007, 09:40 AM
you all are fuckin noobs...jk Another thing I found thats good for finding easy meals is reading the ubber 1337 packageing recieps. Like the stuff on the side of soup cans and shit. There usually pretty good HINT: Stove Top Stuffing

rainier
11-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Bump for a thread that should never end

Xbroke_kidX
11-11-2008, 12:10 AM
chorizo and egg burritos!!! stupid cheap, add some fried potatoes in there also :bigok:

touge monster
11-11-2008, 12:40 AM
This was a while ago, I tried it once and it was AWESOME.

1. Buy Pork (pref. the leg) I guess it works with beef too? never tried.

2. Seasoning in a bowl. (garlic,black pepper, some asian brand seasoning sauce etc. mix it all in a bowl)

3. Massage seasoning it into the meat and and leave over night. (in the fridge of course.)

4. Heat gun from home depot. Plug it in and start cooking the edges.

5. Once you you cook the outside edges, put it in the microwave for like 3 - 4 minutes. This should make the outside kinda crispy (the skin i guess) and the inside cooked. (of course you can do it on a grill or whatever. I didn't have access to one at the time.)

6. Find a pan and put honey, alot of seasoning sauce. Mix so that its sweet AND salty, but not too much. You decide how much of what to put. Some water may help. Keep mixing and stirring until its not too sticky but not too watery.

7. Take the pork out of the microwave. By now the inside should be cooked.

8. Pour your sauce over and enjoy! (while hot of course)

Not exactly like that since it was a long time ago.. but something along the line.

JDM_inspired
11-11-2008, 06:02 AM
1/2 lb ground beef, can of diced tomatoes, corn and chili beans. brown beef in pan, dump tomatoes, corn and beans in, let simmer for 20-25 minutes and there you have it, instant chili...

TRU_DAH-V
11-11-2008, 06:53 AM
1 bowl of HOT rice topped with a raw egg mixed in with some shoyo (soy sauce)

DJPimpFlex
09-15-2010, 11:15 PM
bump for the best thread ever! Please continue.....

BustedS13
09-15-2010, 11:32 PM
the casserole dish has been getting a workout lately. sausage and peppers, stove top casserole, tuna casserole. a was using the 13x9 and following recipes, but, PROTIP: scale that shit back to a 9x9, because eating the same meal six times in a row kind of sucks.

also i make this killer sandwich that i perfected back when i was a driver for a local pizza chain. it's the SPECIAL DELIVERY.

-10" loaf of bread
-green pepper
-yellow pepper
-half a smaller onion
-halved mushrooms
-good sized handful of pineapple chunks
-chicken breast
-some sort of cheese, back in the day i used shredded Provel, now i use mozzarella or pepper jack
-franks red hot
-sriracha
-olive oil

pretty straightforward, throw a little olive oil in a good sized skillet, brown your mushrooms, crank the heat up to full blast and throw in the peppers pineapple and onion, throw in the chicken breast that you cooked in advance and cut into thin strips, spray it with a little sriracha, cut your loaf in half lengthwise and brown it, load it with the filling and some cheese, wrap it in foil, throw it in a 450 degree oven for like 2 minutes, cut it in half, dip it in franks red hot and save the other half for later. oh yeahhhh.

edit: this sandwich is even more badass with guacamole.

lawrenceyang
09-15-2010, 11:32 PM
this has to be the most useful thread on zilvia. ill try making some of this stuff this week =)

sidedrifts13
09-16-2010, 01:29 AM
-roman lettuce and ceaser dressing tossed up and your done

-prepare a can of tuna with one tea spoon of mayo add diced tomatoes,onion, jalapenos add a sprinkle of salt and lemon and your done, you can either eat it with crackers or in a sandwhich.

-Carne asada add spices such as salt, garlic salt, cook it in olive oil then once its done
cut it into pieces then cut up some red or green bell peppers, onion whatever you like and put it in a bigger pan with the meat let it cook for 5 min and your done this takes about 10 minutes max.