PDA

View Full Version : Proto Motorsport??

CFSILVIA
07-22-2006, 01:21 AM
Anyone know if Proto Motorsport is a reputable shop to buy a car or used part??? Please help me out.

LB.Motoring
07-22-2006, 01:28 AM
You need to talk to them, inspect it youself, if you have questions, I would actually know prob what chassis your looking at, I also know all the guys down there..

pm me if you need help/

usdm180sx
07-22-2006, 02:14 AM
Saw their ad in jdm insider. +1 to what lb said

HyperTek
07-22-2006, 07:49 AM
deal with james hes cool

BOMEX180
07-22-2006, 08:12 AM
arent their cars salvaged title? Coz I know they buy their cars form auctions, then they fix them up add body kits, paint, wheels etc.

LB.Motoring
07-22-2006, 10:36 AM
most are clean, just they need some love,

You coming up to the event today?^

DoriftoPnoy
07-22-2006, 12:06 PM
THat's where i pickd up my S14 a year ago. Awesome stuff. Altho I do question how they repaint their cars.....

raz0rbladez909
07-22-2006, 12:13 PM
^ ahh so you got the blacktop kouki thats my friends old car i was wondering where it had gone lol he did all the work to it then traded them for an sc400 they had

silverarrow27
07-22-2006, 12:47 PM
They're alrite and on the expensive side. Even a stock s13 with very dirty interior is being described as clean which shows that they're not too honest.

Havok
07-23-2006, 03:09 PM
I was going to buy a kouki from them but they were charging me $10,000, had stock engine and they were "Painting it and putting a Vertex body kit", later I found it was a salvaged title and the car had been in the shop for so long because they were fixing it. They are quite expensive too.

DoriftoPnoy
07-23-2006, 06:40 PM
^ ahh so you got the blacktop kouki thats my friends old car i was wondering where it had gone lol he did all the work to it then traded them for an sc400 they had

Really? so a guy owned this? cuz they told me the previous owner was a girl *hence the pink pedals (took it out)*. but it didnt come originally white. it was green.

finalforce
07-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Cool shop, I spoke to the owner, James before. Cool guy, but the cars are a bit pricey. They need a lot of work, but lots of potential.....

blaze1
07-25-2006, 01:26 PM
There cars are ridiculously over priced....not just a bit. I wouldn't mind getting parts or work done by them but I wouldn't buy one of there vehicles.

LB.Motoring
07-25-2006, 01:58 PM
^ its the cost of buisness, if you were them you would preform the same way, buy a used s13, paint, rims, sell for twice all parts laybor and base price, its called business. if you want a good deal, build your own project. on another note, you just keep your eyes open and you cant go wrong.

usdm180sx
07-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Hmmm. I would rather build my own car but this is good news for those who just want to buy in.

Yellow4g63
07-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Me and my friend passed by there a few times. He was looking for a S13 hatch back and they had one there. The car was dirty lol, I mean rust on the hatch and rear fender and the bumper was falling off. My friend made an Offer to them to buy the car but they said "it's sold the kid is going to pick it up friday". He drives pass that place all the time on his way to work and the car was still there. So he goes back and says are you ready to sell lol.

silverarrow27
07-26-2006, 01:09 AM
Me and my friend passed by there a few times. He was looking for a S13 hatch back and they had one there. The car was dirty lol, I mean rust on the hatch and rear fender and the bumper was falling off. My friend made an Offer to them to buy the car but they said "it's sold the kid is going to pick it up friday". He drives pass that place all the time on his way to work and the car was still there. So he goes back and says are you ready to sell lol.

They use the same excuse on me several times I went there looking for a stock beater.

UPTOWN
07-26-2006, 09:21 AM
THey've tried to sell me a few vehicles in the past. Described as clean for how old it is..... NOpe! As I neared the vehicle I could see defects from 20 ft away from the car. Interiors was sh*TTy. S13 hb for 8k w/ SR20DET engine. I said no way is this car worth that much! They tried to sell on the fact that it had the SR engine.

So I drove all this way to check it out so I figured might as well actually inspect it. Asked them to pop the hood to which then we encounter problem 2. They apparently had misplaced the key. Searched everywhere for about 20 minutes until I decided to leave. Somehow they got the doors open as I was about to leave which was very convenient on their part.

They pop the hood and as I inspect the vehicle I could tell the support beam and hood were bondo'd like crazy! sloppy and definitely not mentioned before I made my drive out there. The guy that was helping me insisted the hood was not repainted or damaged and so I showed him paint runs that is very unlikely if it is factory paint. Showed him the uneven smooth bondo job to which he insisted it was an older car. Old or not, it was obvious repairs had been made to the vehicle.

Then i asked him where the work was done for the car to which they replied w/ JDM autohaus. I asked him how he got the car there to Proto and he mentioned he just drive it in last night. So I pointed to the intake pipe and asked him did he think about putting an intake filter on to keep impurities out. He replied that it was a short drive and it shouldn't be a problem.

that was pretty much the last strike and so I decided to leave and tell them they better do their homework before trying to sell a car like this for that much.

however in Proto's defense... I do know for a fact that the guy i dealt w/ was not the owner. These guys drove out there to meet me and did not seem like they worked out of there as they were confused w/ some of the internal workings of the shop.

maybe it was a new guy or maybe its an outsourced dealer but either way... it left a bad impression on me.

PS i never got to turn the engine over and they still proceeded to ask me to lets sign the deal for $500 off the price. I didn't even bother w/ a reply and left. Needless to say 2 240's later and I'm glad I had walked away from Proto. This was earlier this year approx Dec/Jan timeframe. I remember it was towards the end of Fall beginning of Winter.

beware! just know your sh*T before you go buy a car.... this doesn't just apply to Proto but all sellers.

Indolent
07-27-2006, 09:51 PM
last time my friend was looking for a stock car, he wanted a s13 he saw there, it had no motor, but james said he'll drop in a dual cam motor like my friend wanted, that was the deal

-after that was settled my friend left a downpayment
-receipt was made for the downpayment on the car
-then a day or something later, they tell him they're not going to sell him the car, that they're going to sell it to some other guy who's offering more
-then my friend goes back to get the shop to get his money back and they didn't want to give him his money back, said he has to talk to james or something
-after waiting for a long time, hour or so, james picks up and was just liek yeah just write him a check for his money

james is a pretty cool guy, but just doing business or trying to was pretty shitty, well for my friend at least since he already left a down and it was written on paper and what not, what a waste of time, just my thoughts.