PDA

View Full Version : question that has been on my mind for quite some years

mjjstang
07-14-2006, 03:56 PM
Well after a 5 hour road trip today I saw my fair share of roadkill, and frankly I would like to know something, why does it always end up on the side of the road? I understand that there are cleanup crews that shove the carcasses onto the back of a truck, but why do I see completely flattened animals on the side of the road. I have heard that cops have to move them but in my 21 years of life, I have NEVER EVER seen a cop moving an animal to the side of the road. I would think that sometimes the animal might themselves hobble to the side and die. but that doesnt explain the flattened ones. Please enlighten me.

Btw, if anyone says wow wtf or has the smily that is scratchin his head, I'm gonna find a photo on the internet that has a silly image with text attached that reads "Thanks for statin the obvious dipshit" and if such a picture does not exist I will make one and post it.

SochBAT
07-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Yea.

I always thought some good Sumeritan moved them to the side, or some animal-loving citizen.

Thats just me.

boosteds13
07-14-2006, 04:18 PM
It's funny you just posted this. I was just talking about it the other day. The only explanation I could come up with was people trying to swerve and hit them as they scooted across the road!

95Blue240sx
07-14-2006, 04:19 PM
So you are saying that some person just picks up a dying animal, which is also bleeding to death, and moves him aside? Might as well burry the bitch.

SiI40sx
07-14-2006, 04:19 PM
zilvias offtopic section, home of the random...

mjjstang
07-14-2006, 04:30 PM
So you are saying that some person just picks up a dying animal, which is also bleeding to death, and moves him aside? Might as well burry the bitch.

well what im thinkin is the patrolman drivin down the road notices a dead animal which could cause automobile harm which could lead also to human harm, so it would be the duty of the officer to move that animal to the side of the road and wait for the proper cleanup crew to make their rounds. but like I said Ive never seen an officer on the side of the road doing this, not even once. so im boggled.

mRclARK1
07-14-2006, 04:34 PM
I got a cop friend...he tells me he's moved a couple. So it does happen.

Kn1ves
07-14-2006, 04:42 PM
ive personally seen CHP stop the freeway (2 lane freeway) to move debris off the freeway as to not endanger other motorists... i bet dead animals isnt far off that list

ManoNegra
07-14-2006, 05:15 PM
When hit animals usually fly off to the side. Seen it happen a couple of times. The flattened ones are just carcasses that've been run over and over and over... that aren't picked off the road. Common in Central America where no one is in a hurry to clean the road.

'90RPS13
07-14-2006, 05:24 PM
When hit animals usually fly off to the side. Seen it happen a couple of times. The flattened ones are just carcasses that've been run over and over and over... that aren't picked off the road. Common in Central America where no one is in a hurry to clean the road.

^~~Thats what I was thinking. And to my knowledge, I dont recall ever seeing a cop pull over and more a animal out of the road. *a

kensreliableb18b
07-14-2006, 05:37 PM
i smash them right on the road. no fly aways for me

Vatche
07-14-2006, 06:16 PM
it is definately funny that you mentioned this because i just went on a 4-5 hour roadtrip also, and ran over my fair share of those animals, there were tons of them on the road, i actually started to count at one point cuz i was bored. i got up to 20 in 5 min and quit lol. anywayz yeh none of them i saw were on the side of the road, i dont know how to explain that other then the fact that when cars drive by they move them with the wind like how the road stays clean cuz cars clear the way if that makes any sense. lol

theicecreamdan
07-14-2006, 08:07 PM
I hit a possum once... on purpose

Sil-Abc
07-14-2006, 08:11 PM
icecreamdan ftw! hahaha i would agree with sr20detman cuz the wind pressure is pretty high and like i guess cops would move it but ive never seen it happen. only seen cops move a couple of dead bodies :X

P4rD0nM3
07-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Poor animals. I tried to move a prairie dog...I tried to be a hero...but I failed.

Phlip
07-16-2006, 05:36 PM
What I am THINKING is being asked here is how, when the animal has been hit, then not removed from the roadway, then run over and over and over some more, the roadkill pancake makes it to the shoulder every time.
... Notice how roadways, especially ones that are subject to roadkill are shaped:
/\ (not that steep, but those are the only characters I had to make my point)
... they're shaped like this so water will not stand on the road surface.
When I hit that possum last week, it stopped in the road and bled to death. People continued to hit it, until all it's blood was gone, then more people ran over it until it was flat, now it weighs VERY little, so these hits, along with simple laws of gravity and momentum on a slope, now ease it closer and closer to the edge. Some people drive around the carcass, this creates a little wind, which will kinda "suck it in," so it will be a few feet up the road from where the original blood stain is, but still it eases ever and ever closer to the edge.

THEN it rains (I live in NC), which will simply wash it off into someone's front yard.

... THIS PROCESS FUCKING SUCKS WHEN THE ANIMAL IN QUESTION IS A SKUNK.

mRclARK1
07-16-2006, 05:55 PM
THIS PROCESS FUCKING SUCKS WHEN THE ANIMAL IN QUESTION IS A SKUNK.

:rofl:

That smell is one of the worst.....

ThatGuy
07-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Only thing worse than roadkill skunk, is the ever-disgusting....

ROAD KILL HOOKER!

SimpleS14
07-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Phlip has some very good points to his post. However...what is the case of a deer that's been hit?

NIK90s13
07-16-2006, 07:20 PM
Here in Texas we call the flat dry ones ''sail cats!!'' throw them by there tails, the fly a good ''piece''!! HEYUCK!!!JK
Really I have to agree with PHLIP.

Phlip
07-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Phlip has some very good points to his post. However...what is the case of a deer that's been hit?
The deer was covered when someone mentioned stumbling to the roadside to finish dying.
I saw this happen in my own front yard one Sunday morning a few months back, no shit.

ThatGuy
07-16-2006, 07:30 PM
^Again, much like a Road Kill Hooker.

In PHLIP's front yard.

Phlip
07-16-2006, 07:38 PM
^Again, much like a Road Kill Hooker.

In PHLIP's front yard.
Get it right, back yard:
http://www.darkexile.com/funny/hooker.jpg

ThatGuy
07-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Well, when I ran over her, she was out front. I guess she stumbled quite a ways. Probably still mad that you didn't pay for that prom date. :rofl:

Phlip
07-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Well, when I ran over her, she was out front. I guess she stumbled quite a ways. Probably still mad that you didn't pay for that prom date. :rofl:
"stumbled"?
ever heard of necrophilia?
I took that bish through the house and the guys and I ran an amtrak on her until something weird oozed out of her eyes, THEN we took her out back and buried her.

ThatGuy
07-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Something oozed out of her, and you stopped? You must've been feeling ill. An oozing hooker never stopped you before PHLIP.

Phlip
07-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Something oozed out of her, and you stopped? You must've been feeling ill. An oozing hooker never stopped you before PHLIP.
When have I personally EVER gone first when it comes to such a thing? I went first, I was outside digging the hole when the "ooze" occurred.

ThatGuy
07-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Hahahaha, fair enough. We have drug this Road Kill thread through the deepest trenches, let us allow it to get back on track now. :bow:

mjjstang
07-16-2006, 08:50 PM
hha ok, well yah i mean that kinda explains the flattened as a pancake thing, but even other animals that look fairly in tact seem to always nestle themselves right out side of the lines. my guess is they must just have been hit and sent to the side, otherwise they will just be hit and sent back into traffic, where the PHLIP flattening process begins. either way im starting to understand that there are many factors contributing to the process. but nonetheless im still awe inspired by the whole thing.

SoSideways
07-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Well, I've personally hit a few armadillos and possums on the road, pretty close to sidewalk side, so what Philip said is true.

I personally witnessed an armadillo waddle to the sidewalk, where it eventually died. But damnit, he cracked my Z32's OEM urethane lip.

I've hit an armadillo in the 240 and it cracked the lip on there too, and that one died in the middle of the road, and ended up on the side of the road a few days later. But the force from the impact pushed it forward like 15 feet, so there was a blood splatter and then a trail of blood for 15 feet where it met my car's right side front lip and tire.

Then the armadillos struck back by dying in the middle of the lane, and I had to run over it and it dented my exhaust piping.

GFG.

boosteds13
07-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Well, I've personally hit a few armadillos and possums on the road, pretty close to sidewalk side, so what Philip said is true.

I personally witnessed an armadillo waddle to the sidewalk, where it eventually died. But damnit, he cracked my Z32's OEM urethane lip.

I've hit an armadillo in the 240 and it cracked the lip on there too, and that one died in the middle of the road, and ended up on the side of the road a few days later. But the force from the impact pushed it forward like 15 feet, so there was a blood splatter and then a trail of blood for 15 feet where it met my car's right side front lip and tire.

Then the armadillos struck back by dying in the middle of the lane, and I had to run over it and it dented my exhaust piping.

GFG.
LOL, you must live in FL. Armadillos....nature's speed bumps.

SoSideways
07-17-2006, 09:15 PM
^^ yup. I do.