PDA

View Full Version : san mateo county crackdown

sfg20t
06-15-2006, 02:01 AM
hey all you bay area folks, i'm sure you've all heard about the crack down they've initiated in san mateo county. they're pulling over cars that have engine modifications. the law states that any engine modification done to the car is illegal and subject to inspection.

well, i was at the wrong place at the wrong time. i may be able to fight it with a racial profiling complaint, but i was wondering if anyone could help me out.

here's the story.

got off highway 280 @ westburough, saw a motorcycle cop on my left, was making a left turn onto gellert blvd. quietly of course, but i guess he decided he wanted to follow me. i pulled into the nearby osh, cuz i needed to get a key duplicated, and as i pull into the parking lot, park the car, he flashes his lights and hits his siren for a split second. i get out of the car, he asks me to get back in and grab my license, registration, and insurance. i give him all the information, he asks me "do you know why i pulled you over?" and i was thinking he didn't, i was already parked and getting out. but i just said "No" and he said i had a modified exhaust and asked me if i had any engine modifications. i just told him i had bought the car a month ago, which i did, and didn't know much about cars. he asked me to pop my hood. he then inspected the underside, not knowing what he was looking at. he said that my greddy waterpump pully was an adjustable timing gear, and that my blowoff valve was an illegal oil breather. he looked at my maf sensor and said that this was a "adjustable boost controller" i didn't argue much, i was getting f***** either way. gave me the ticket, now i gotta go see this state ref/rep dunno, an inspection station...if i don't pass, they have the right to take my car away from me, slap me with a fine, and let me go on my way. which sux.

anyways...here's the racial profiling part of the story. after he slaps me with the ticket, he and his parnter ask me where i street race. which i dont. then he pursued to ask me what time the "runs" started. then he asked where we meet up, and said that he's seen "you all seem to like to meet up around in-and-out burger"

wtf....did i not just say that i don't street race? and i don't know anyone who does anymore. i'm too old for that shit. i did that back when i was 16/17 but now that i'm 24 goin on 25, i try to keep it at the track and drift events. but yeah.....

newayz....if i can't do this "racial profiling" case, then i'll have to put in a stock kaDE motor and hope for the best to pass the inspection...what a pain in the asss.

is there anyone out there that can help me out with a stock ka24de motor, tranny, and harness? prefferably bay area! or does anyone know any more on this new law? freakin sucks.

FaLKoN240
06-15-2006, 02:05 AM
Feh, I'm not worried. Although my car is pretty much stock, I'm going to decline a search.

I think modified exhaust is NOT probable cause for shit. I'm fucking tired of this bullcrap, and I am not gonna play into their fuckin game.

sfg20t
06-15-2006, 02:07 AM
yeah, i wasn't worried either, my car wasn't loud or annything.

but three other friends have been nailed this week alone. so they're pretty serious.

and if i said "no" to the underhood inspection, they would have impounded my car. cop was a real dick.

phrozen
06-15-2006, 02:46 AM
i just read thru the vechile code book division 12 theres no where in there saying that having modified exhaust in general is illegal.
if it excedes 95db at 3000rmp or 1/2 throttle then yes it is illegal.

having side pipes is illegal,

having an angled n1 style exhaust is not the angle is not sereve enough as it still comes out the "back" of the vehicle.

having whistle tips is illegal

exhaust products that emit excessive smoke, flame, residue etc. is illegal

having an exhaust leak is illegal, its just a fixit ticket.

i dont see anything that says u cant have ur basic bolt on exhaust. and gives them reason to site you and pull you over and then pop your hood, im gogin to ask my coworker that is goign to become a cop soon and have him ask his friends

phrozen
06-15-2006, 02:48 AM
go to a state ref, get ur car tested and certified for exahust noise level

slider2828
06-15-2006, 02:49 AM
This shit is getting rediculous, could be f....ing retaliation cause Socal peeps are messing it up for Norcal peeps.... Also FF3 weekend.... WTF you expect you know what I mean.... Sucks man so BS....

phrozen
06-15-2006, 02:54 AM
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd12c5a2.htm

that should be every and anythign that has to do with exhaust. unless there is something that is not under divsion 12 that is a loop hole in another section or division... i hate cops you win some you loose some, im goign to get my db certificate but i have to fix my exhaust leak, and my CEL due to my 5sp swap cuz of the crank angle sensor on the bellhousing.

FRpilot
06-15-2006, 03:16 AM
what can you say to them when they threaten to impound your car? its probably entrapment but you cant do anything...

dvdevo
06-15-2006, 03:17 AM
honestly there isnt much we can do. we're a bunch of broke ass car modders. We mean nothing to the community.

FaLKoN240
06-15-2006, 09:50 AM
Heh, I don't know how that would work, throwing the actual law back in the cops face. I honestly have nothing to hide, so fuck all that impound shit. I'm gonna fight back as much as I can.

phrozen
06-15-2006, 11:09 AM
well see the thing for me is that i have a greddy turbo kit thats going on my car very soon. ive also had a conversation with greddy on the matter and they said they are still trying and hoping that is passes all requirements required by carb. but i believe you had to have bought it from an authroized dealer and have ur original purchase receipt which neither applys to me =(

trsilvias13
06-15-2006, 11:43 AM
I saw this coming. It seem like a FF3 prevention. So by the time the film is release, there wont be a flurry of cars doing stupid stuff. I havent been driving my car this week at all unless I have to. If I do drive, I try to take my parent's car.

On a funny note, SM cops are retarted. They pulled over my sister's bf Toyota Camry (1990) because they thought it was lowered and had an exhuast when it is stock with a shinny tip. He over heard them talking and call him a street racer.

TougeRacing
06-15-2006, 11:45 AM
having an after-market exhaust that doesnt look stock is a probable reason to pop ur hood, ive asked plenty of cops, its legal. deal with it. -1 FTL.

driftninja
06-15-2006, 11:54 AM
unless that power zealous fuck of a police officer has a decibal meter built into his fuckin head he has no probable cause to search the vehicle, they have to prove it does no t adhere to the state regulation, and most likely the state does not own a decible meter, most dont. if you get pulled over raise hell dont let them do anything unless they have a commanding officer there, make a racial issue out of it make it as difficult as possible. if you have a lawyer(family or anyone) tekll him your not signing or doing anything until your representaion looks at it. if you still end up with a ticket raise hell for the individual file a harassment claim and counter suit. they hide behind legal jargan so know it yourself and read up

CaoBoY
06-15-2006, 12:02 PM
yeah its probable cause to pop your hood...but you still dont have to. i dont know why you got BACK in your car when you were already parked/turned the car off/out of the car already. you should have sat there, told him no, im not going to get back in my car, as i have already parked. the guy you were chasing ducked out that way! haha, i dont know why you let him get you like that. get your law book, and next time you get pulled over, and he says its because of your loud exhaust...fight it. aks him how he was able to measure it without a decible meter, and if he says he did test it with a decible meter, ask him where his certification to use it at. ask him how he was able to test it when you were driving down the street, into a parking lot, and parking, which would all be less than half throttle/under 3k rpm. know your shit...and if you can BS your way through that, chances are he wont have anything to get you on. after all...if they pull you over for one thing, they cant write you a ticket for something else i.e. if he pulls you over for speeding, he cant give you a ticket for excessive exhaust noise/test your car/pop your hood, thats your chance to tell him fuck you.

S14DB
06-15-2006, 12:16 PM
If you prove that your exhaust is legal. Ruling out probable cause. Does that throw out the other tickets?

rancid240
06-15-2006, 12:38 PM
This shit is getting rediculous, could be f....ing retaliation cause Socal peeps are messing it up for Norcal peeps.... Also FF3 weekend.... WTF you expect you know what I mean.... Sucks man so BS....

Being from socal, my apologies...but how exactly are we screwing it up for you up north?

TheSquidd
06-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Being from socal, my apologies...but how exactly are we screwing it up for you up north?

Cause we're Mexican, remember? We mess up everything.

J.k. Last I remember we were the ones with tons of legal drift events, and yours were the ones being closed down due to illegal drifitng? I dunno.

Pepperoni
06-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Well, this is going to continue for two years because of that grant. :(

I would be careful for those of you planning on going in groups (maybe to sell your car?) because according to this, they're doing inspections again tomorrow specifically because of FF3
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/ci_3912869

Oh they mention in other articles that they're tired of reading about kids being killed because of street racing, even though there are no stories to read about because there have been 0 deaths in san mateo county due to street racing. :bash:

cosil8e
06-15-2006, 01:04 PM
i just read thru the vechile code book division 12 theres no where in there saying that having modified exhaust in general is illegal.
if it excedes 95db at 3000rmp or 1/2 throttle then yes it is illegal.
sorry to be lurking through different regions...in the way of exhausts you guys are lucky. in colorado any modified or aftermarket exhaust is considered illegal. you have to be doing something really wrong and be a jerk or have a jerk of a cop to actually be cited generally. on the other hand i was told by the local emissions testing facility that "you can put any engine in any chassis" with little to no problems "as long as it passes emissions." luckily there no longer is emissions testing in the county that i live. it's not done statewide only by county.

CaoBoY
06-15-2006, 01:28 PM
If you prove that your exhaust is legal. Ruling out probable cause. Does that throw out the other tickets?
what do you mean?

TheSquidd
06-15-2006, 01:40 PM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/ci_3912869

Hahahhahahah, I hate California. The one place with the most events, also has the most laws and Nazi police.

phrozen
06-15-2006, 03:28 PM
on site they do have to have a meter, its at their dicression. then they can send u to a ref. get urself a certificate for db leve so they cant ticket you or send you, they will look for anything to write you up for tho, license plate, one of ur lights being out, aftermarket steering wheel if urs was equiped with an airbag. trust me they will write you up for something, i had a cop pull me over he couldnt get me for anything he even looked under my car for a cat.. after the 1 hour i sat on the curb he wrote me up for loud music...

drift-it
06-15-2006, 03:37 PM
you should of said i do not consent with a search because unless he has a probable cause he can't, that might of slowed him down but it's better than saying take a look because cops point all kinds of stock things that are according to him after market

fliprayzin240sx
06-15-2006, 03:44 PM
So anybody actually denied to pop their hoods yet? Im curious if they actually got their shiet towed for refusing to pop their hoods.

jdmsilvia909
06-15-2006, 04:39 PM
he said that my greddy waterpump pully was an adjustable timing gear, and that my blowoff valve was an illegal oil breather. he looked at my maf sensor and said that this was a "adjustable boost controller"

WTF an adjustable water pump pulley??...BOV that spits out oil???....an air flow sensor that's an "adjustable bosst controller"...fucking PIG doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about anyways go with the racial profiling case for sure

jdmsilvia909
06-15-2006, 04:40 PM
he said that my greddy waterpump pully was an adjustable timing gear, and that my blowoff valve was an illegal oil breather. he looked at my maf sensor and said that this was a "adjustable boost controller"

WTF an adjustable water pump pulley??...BOV that spits out oil???....an air flow sensor that's an "adjustable boost controller"...fucking PIG doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about anyways go with the racial profiling case for sure

FRpilot
06-15-2006, 04:50 PM
yea someone with a stock car should try to play with cops to see what will happen.. even if you are stock you have nothing to worry about..

rancid240
06-15-2006, 04:59 PM
yea someone with a stock car should try to play with cops to see what will happen.. even if you are stock you have nothing to worry about..

Unless your MAF doubles as an MBC...

sw20>>s14
06-15-2006, 06:05 PM
yeah, its pretty ghey...a few of my friends have gotten pulled over already...and of course: loud exhaust...thats all they know for now...all they have to see is something shiny out the back and theyll flip the lights...

glad im still running the stock exhaust...go ahead, check whatever you want...correct me if im wrong, but didnt they pass something recently where they changed the noise level law to a law enforcement officers judgement? i remember it stating that a decibel meter was no longer required to cite a vehicle...

either way, no ones safe...the laws get so specific that anything on any of our cars are an infraction...fyi, i was told that theyre actually starting to measure car ride heights...where are my spanner wrenches?

sfg20t
06-15-2006, 08:09 PM
well, i tried to tell him the car wasn't modified execpt for exhaust, but he wanted to check under my hood. what i neglected to say was that when i tried to pop my hood the first time, and open it, the latch got kinda stuck, so i was like "damn it" and he said real fast " you better get that hood to open "

he mentioned that the modified exhaust was probable cause to pop my hood and proceed with a search.

i also heard from everyone that this cop is a dick. he's pulled over my friend three times in the past year and a half. one of which he got let go for. but everyone in the area seems to know who this dick cop is, and can describe him cuz they've been pulled over by him for stupid reasons.

i also left out that he did call in his commanding officer or a seargant, he came by right quick to take a look at my car too. no offense, but he was really white, and yeah...no break for me being asian. in sf, cops always tell me that any modified exhaust is illegal. i'm not one to care enough to go read a book on it, but yeah, everything is illegal. =) tinting windows, lowering your car, changing our exhaust, putting HIDs....it's ridiculous.

my friends girl, who drove a lowered car got pulled over and got asked to pop her hood. at least she was all stock....she got off for no engine modification, but i'm sure if they had a tape measure, they would have measured the height of her car to see if it was in "compliance"

That article, i read that too....it's dumb. they said something about "anything that makes the car accelerate or have more top end horsepower is illegal" aand it followed with a comment " lowering a car helps high speed acceleration" i kinda laughed at the article.

newayz...i haven't had any luck. the few cops that i know have all said "you're fucked" still trying to hear from my friend who's a DA for sf.

has any one been to the state ref? i was just wondering how they certificate a car.....and why it might be so difficult to ask them to turn their heads on certain modifications....IE turbo...=) as long as it passes smog.....

sfg20t
06-15-2006, 08:12 PM
but yeah...it seems like i was in the wrong place at the wrong time....gotta figure something out. and even if an exhaust is probable cause for engine modification, i wasn't going to stand there and say no, and have him impound my car. i've had my other car impounded, and that costs way too much to do again......it wasn't even there overnight, and it cost me almost 600 bucks to get out w/ all fee's and towing and everything....DON'T GET YOUR SHIT IMPOUNDED

S14DB
06-15-2006, 09:23 PM
fyi, i was told that theyre actually starting to measure car ride heights...where are my spanner wrenches?
Yeah, They did that to me one spring break. I was at 19" and the limit was 21.5". I argued that you couldn't really determine what the "center of the headlight" was and he didn't have a T square to make sure he was perpendicular to the road. I got out of it. I now have it jacked upto about 22"

EndLeSS8
06-15-2006, 09:46 PM
SW20:

Dude, empty your PM box.
What's your address?
What's your phone #?
PM me. I'll stop by this weekend. Thanks

Pepperoni
06-15-2006, 10:06 PM
sfg20t, what exhaust/muffler do you have on your car?

Has anyone been thinking of any ideas on how to avoid getting pulled over for exhaust? Painting the piping/muffler? Maybe hiding the aftermarket piping behind a disconnected stock muffler (of course it involves doing some rewelding)? These are all some ideas i may play around with. Anyone else?

kouki_s14
06-15-2006, 10:15 PM
So i received a certificate for my exhaust being "legal" (i had my stock one on but the paperwork doesnt say stock or modified, it just says my exhaust is within legal limits) it has the decibal rating, license plate number and the ticket i got with a State Ref certification sticker on the back.
Does anyone think i can use this paperwork to get away from the probable cause line? Or is the cop just gonna get pissed off because i actually beat him at his own game and make me pop my hood anyways?

downshift_sideways
06-15-2006, 10:41 PM
Damn dude!!! this sounds like the same exact shit that fucking happened to me. FUCCCKK!! They told me it was "probable" cause to search my engine bay because of my "modified" exhaust. They did the same shit to me! the only diffrence was that they used a sound meter while they were rev'in up my car. and i sat on a curb for like 40 mins. This shit is getting too insane now man. Sorry to hear about that shit, hope all goes well.

locodrftr
06-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Well, after installing my coilovers today i went out for a test drive and just as i was heading to the freeway a cop see's me and guns it runing a red light and hits the lights and pulls me over. DaMn iT!!!!!!!!! He just straight up ask's for my license,insurance,and registration tells me my exhaust is too big and loud.Freaken A man, on top of that he tells me to pop my hood and asks if i had anything done, i said i dont know. Of course i know i have a blacktop with a apexi filter and a polished hotpipe. which stand out like a beach. He sees everything and tells me the filter doesnt have a carb sticker, and he's pretty sure that 240s dont have turbochargers. So after waiting like 40 minutes he writes me up for the exhaust and filter and my headlights because i have a hid kit on. On top of that he takes pictures of my car from the back and the engine bay, multiple shots. He comes back and tells me i cant drive my car on the street till i go to a referee or after the courtdate. So now i gotta call tomorrow and make an appointment. Damn that just ruined my whole year. So i dont know whats gonna happen now,i wonder if i should change everything back to stock or take chances with what i have.
s13 blacktop
apexi intake
rsr down pipe, phase 2 hotpipe, trust power evolution II exhaust from the downpipe back with the cat delete pipe. i also have kouki tail lights and the hid kit. all this on my 93 hatch. this sucks i need help.....

phrozen
06-15-2006, 11:20 PM
blah time to sell the 240 and fix my lexus...

phrozen
06-15-2006, 11:21 PM
320hp 2jzgte powered smog legal sc300 mmmmm i need to fix that damn thing

downshift_sideways
06-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Jason with the champange lexus?

vspec15
06-15-2006, 11:46 PM
sfg20t, im assuming you have a g20t, so wouldnt ur SR20de engine be legal since's the stock engine? Lucky for me i havent gotten pulled over yet. Im on a stock KA24De with hotshot headers and tanabe exhaust.

FRpilot
06-15-2006, 11:47 PM
So i received a certificate for my exhaust being "legal" (i had my stock one on but the paperwork doesnt say stock or modified, it just says my exhaust is within legal limits) it has the decibal rating, license plate number and the ticket i got with a State Ref certification sticker on the back.
Does anyone think i can use this paperwork to get away from the probable cause line? Or is the cop just gonna get pissed off because i actually beat him at his own game and make me pop my hood anyways?

you brought the car in to a smog ref with rb25 to get the exhaust certificate? if so.. thats some balls you have. haha

downshift_sideways
06-15-2006, 11:57 PM
you brought the car in to a smog ref with rb25 to get the exhaust certificate? if so.. thats some balls you have. haha

:faint: grande ones.

kouki_s14
06-16-2006, 12:02 AM

haha shit HELL NO, it was like a month before my swap. i got a exhaust ticket and had to go, and YES they did pop my hood there to "check for cracked belts and hoses to make sure its safe to drive"

so u guys think i can use it?

SAVAGE1
06-16-2006, 12:06 AM
This SUCKS ASS. Just when I'm about to put the SR back in. I ran my SR before with the stock catback and an electric cutout at the DP... so everything looked stock from the outside... that might help a little. I knew this movie would stir some shit up but never expected this.

As for the state ref... you're pretty much screwed. There's no way in hell a JDM motor will get through the ref. You have a better chance of reffing a 240with an LS1 in it. If the motor was never sold in a USDM car it won't fly. The only way is to go back totally stock. It sucks... my bro had to do it.

Pepperoni
06-16-2006, 12:15 AM
kouki_s14, i think you can at least bring it up and show that you've been stopped before and gone through everything to make sure that you weren't breaking the law by using "that" exhaust. It's up to the cop to let you off or not though... but i say use it.

I don't want to stir things up by talking about racial profiling, but I have a feeling cops are not only profiling the actual cars but the people driving them as well. :mad: Especially because the FF3 movie is based in Tokyo. :rant2: any thoughts?

CrappyS13
06-16-2006, 12:31 AM
yea cops really suck...i changed my shit to stock. not one part on my car except suspension shit. my car stands out i guess but they always try to bust me on ride height and turbo...even though they point to my throttle body. fucking cops...so fucking gay.

FRpilot
06-16-2006, 12:33 AM
yea its not like the cop is going to read the certificate thourougly... they might though.. or they might just ignore it like carb stickers.. but worth a try..

locodrftr
06-16-2006, 01:27 AM
damn pigs, why become a cop if u want to fight crime, but end up giving tickets for a exhaust, might as well become a meter maid. They see a japanese car with a exhaust and pull them over and pop their hood, they see a old fixed up camaro pop a boner and take a picture with it, yeah i probably would be better of with a ls1,

slider2828
06-16-2006, 02:03 AM
damn we should start a thread about Time/Place/Why you got your hood popped and what will happen. i think this might help in a profiling case. Don't you guys think?

-usmd-180sx
06-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Damn, sorry to hear all of your bad misfortunes, but it comes with the territory.
Luckily, I copped a 2 wheeler and I can garage my car until winter season, and then garage my bike.

As for the cop situation. When and once a cop see's his prey, he has an agenda. And that is part of his profiling his suspects. It doesnt matter if your white, black, asian, mexican, etc. But the car that you are driving automatically throws you into a category. So I really doubt that pulling the "race" car is gonna get you anywhere. Especially when your telling it to a caucasin police officer.

And once you try to beat around the bush, or push his knowledge and his authority on the matter, he/she is only gonna get more pissed cause your delaying his/her "agenda" that they are trying to accomplish. (which is basically dicking/ticketiing/raising hell/) to the victim.

Like that website states, after friday hits, all hell brakes loose. So dont make this thread hit 3 pages and save yourself some trouble if your arent already in some and stash your car somewhere for a couple of days. Dont drive during those prime hrs 6pm -12am and for the love of Jesus Christ, dont drive your car to go watch this movie.

FRpilot
06-16-2006, 06:45 AM
damn we should start a thread about Time/Place/Why you got your hood popped and what will happen. i think this might help in a profiling case. Don't you guys think?

this sounds like an interesting idea.. maybe someone should start a new thread for this so it doesnt clutter this one up for discussion only

06-16-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm just curious, I'm obviously not from CA, but what happenns if say other people from other state drive thru CA for vaacation or somehting? Will they get pull over to? I'm pretty sure my car would fail any cali inspection there is, but here in NC you can just about get away with whatever you want. Just doesn't seem fair if people from other states get a ticket for this also?

EndLeSS8
06-16-2006, 11:08 AM
They criminalized "Street racing" yesterday in Canada (I'm from Canada, so this matters to me, hahah)
It's bad cuz the cops in Vancouver are ruthless, and EVERYTHING can be considered "street racing" now.

edit:
SW20: PM me your address and cell#, I'd like to pick up the sideskirts this weekend. Thanks

sfg20t
06-16-2006, 11:20 AM
sfg20t, im assuming you have a g20t, so wouldnt ur SR20de engine be legal since's the stock engine? Lucky for me i havent gotten pulled over yet. Im on a stock KA24De with hotshot headers and tanabe exhaust.

well, i do have a g20, but i was driving my black kouki 240sx with a s14 blacktop w/ apexi exhaust....with a huge frontmount the cop neglected to notice. thank god i was parked in front of some bushes when he krept up behind me.

i'm pulling off the exhaust, getting a nice looking stock one......maybe weld an actuator. that would be sick. but first, i gotta find a solution to my problem.

why can't a state ref just look the other way....

this picture thing is worrying me a little bit guys. say i do change everything to stock and bring my car in. the cop took pictures of my engine bay...dunno if that means anything.

"dude, the cop totally photoshoped that.....i had no mods mr. state ref, as you can see under my hood, stock as shit."

sfg20t
06-16-2006, 11:26 AM
sfg20t, what exhaust/muffler do you have on your car?

Has anyone been thinking of any ideas on how to avoid getting pulled over for exhaust? Painting the piping/muffler? Maybe hiding the aftermarket piping behind a disconnected stock muffler (of course it involves doing some rewelding)? These are all some ideas i may play around with. Anyone else?

apexi n1. but he didn't say it was too loud, he just said that it was modified. like the story says, he came up to me after i had parked the car.

Pepperoni
06-16-2006, 11:28 AM
Well if you do take it to the ref, they're going to tell you to put it back to stock. But if you swap everything back to stock and take it in, they can't really say anything because you fixed the original problem... at least that's what I would think. I think the pics serve as evidence if you were to go to court.

Well guys today is the day so good luck out there!! :ugh::angel:

Please try to avoid driving after 6pm...:-/

sfg20t
06-16-2006, 12:03 PM
btw, the cop thought your aluminum intake looked fairly stock, and said that wouldn't give me any problems....GREAT...that's a relief....jumping for joy now.

trsilvias13
06-16-2006, 12:11 PM
I dont think a certificate of DB reading on an exhaust holds as evidence to a cop that your car meet the criteria of the state. Why, because there a date on it and he can and probably will say "between XX/XX/XXXX, you could have changed your exhaust, and because your exhuast in my eyes look like it modified and I cannot tell the difference nor have the equipment to measure the db off your car, you will have to go to the state ref"

Either way, we are screwed.

However, if I did have a stock exhaust and a camera at the point. I would happily accept a ticket, take a pic of my exhaust with the officer and a watch to show the time of the exhaust voilation and then go to nissan to a statement that say my exhuast is OEM stock and has not been modified, then take it to the state ref and get it certified that it meet or exceed the state requirement. The provide a spreadsheet of the time and cost that inconvient me and sue the city. But I am a violator , I admit. So I cant do this.

kouki_s14
06-16-2006, 12:23 PM
I dont think a certificate of DB reading on an exhaust holds as evidence to a cop that your car meet the criteria of the state. Why, because there a date on it and he can and probably will say "between XX/XX/XXXX, you could have changed your exhaust, and because your exhuast in my eyes look like it modified and I cannot tell the difference nor have the equipment to measure the db off your car, you will have to go to the state ref"

That is what i was also thinking, but if i had a stock exhaust to begin with the cop probably would not have given me a ticket. Therefore i already GOT a modified exhaust ticket (photocopy of ticket is on the certificate) and proved (kinda) that it was legal. Believe me with the high flow cat, 2 foot resonator, and silencer on my HKS it sounds stock. You can stand behind my car and rev the shit out of it and all you will here is the engine. I swear i have the quieted exhaust in socal. Everytime i pull up at meets or anywhere, people think im stock.

A cop may still give me shit but isnt it worth a try?

HerbReal
06-16-2006, 12:34 PM
I was in Daly City last friday In gellert street, i saw a white 91-93 with red hood got pulled over by a cop and the hood was popped.i felt bad for the owner because he might have gone a state referee ticket. When i used to stay there with my aunt i had a import car and saw many cops but they never bothered me with my green wheels in my mr2...i guess theyre very strict nowadays. Be careful out there.

Herb

vspec15
06-16-2006, 12:42 PM
The apexi N1 Dual Exhaust "looks similar" to a stock 240sx's exhaust. Maybe we can get those instead of the big 3- 3.5 inch diameter ones that most of us have on.

Boost Monkey
06-16-2006, 12:54 PM
^ only except that the apexi dual N1 is still loud as fuck.

this reminds me of paul mooney on the chappelle show where he said black people cant have too much fun or the white man will take them away. just like us, we cant have too much fun either cuz our shits gettin taken away also.

i suggest everyone to stay off the street for the next couple days to avoid getting pulled over/ticketed. if cops continue to pull cars over at this rate and see a huge jump in their revenue...im sure this will continue for a very long time and wont be just any other one day "sting" operation.

Pepperoni
06-16-2006, 06:36 PM
btw, the cop thought your aluminum intake looked fairly stock, and said that wouldn't give me any problems....GREAT...that's a relief....jumping for joy now.

Are you serious? haha wow.. see guys, more of a reason for you guys to get in on the group buy deal ;) LOL

I was driving around all day today, but didn't see any cops. Maybe I was lucky. I guess they're focusing on the 6pm to 12am crowd.

And the movie wasn't that great either. I guess I expected more. But it did inspire this Eclipse owner to try to drift out of the theatre parking lot....:ugh:

SAVAGE1
06-17-2006, 09:37 AM
Check out this video report from Chanel 7 news.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=local&id=4256005

They said they got grant money to carry out this crackdown operation for the next 2 years!! WTF!! What a bunch of bullshit. They say that street racing is not even a problem in this area... they just want to stop it before it starts. If its not a problem in the first place why spend state money into preventing it. People just want to mod their cars... its a fucken hobby... get over it. Guys have been doing it for years (i.e. muscle cars) and now that the cars are different and the people driving them are even more different they are going to crack down?! Fuck this.

And as for dealing with cops when you're pulled over... there's really nothing you can do. I have many friends who are officers, some even drive turbo'ed imports, and they say you can't really refuse to pop your hood. Either way the officer will find his probably cause its all in the way he writes his report. Probable cause is such a broad thing... since your car is a popular import to fix up that's already probable cause... shit like that.

Fuck all this shit... I'm dropping the SR into a 240Z... smog exempt baby!!

FaLKoN240
06-17-2006, 11:21 AM
Hopefully they'll go after Honda/Acura, like the article points out. I saw an Integra, and a Maxima going at it, on 101 South.

Street racing is for fucking retards.

!Zar!
06-17-2006, 09:54 PM
The apexi N1 Dual Exhaust "looks similar" to a stock 240sx's exhaust. Maybe we can get those instead of the big 3- 3.5 inch diameter ones that most of us have on.

Are you kidding me?

Maby from 1500feet away.

Apexi duals look nothing like stock.

You'd have to be pulled over by a blind cop if he believed that.

And they for sure dont sound stock.

vspec15
06-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Are you kidding me?

Maby from 1500feet away.

Apexi duals look nothing like stock.

You'd have to be pulled over by a blind cop if he believed that.

And they for sure dont sound stock.

Well, actually it does look more stock than other ones that are just a big can. Stock 240sx= dual tip exhaust; N1 dual= dual tip exhaust. ANd i did put put in quotes "looks similar" and did not say that N1 duals are just exactly like the stock 240sx exhaust.

!Zar!
06-17-2006, 11:20 PM
Well, actually it does look more stock than other ones that are just a big can. Stock 240sx= dual tip exhaust; N1 dual= dual tip exhaust. ANd i did put put in quotes "looks similar" and did not say that N1 duals are just exactly like the stock 240sx exhaust.
Your logic is wrong. NOBODY would think that apexi duals look anything like or remotely close to stock. They are still two n1 canisters. That protrude from under the car, and angle to the drivers side.

Cops arn't idiots, I've seen cops pull people over for rs*r ex mag, fujitsbuo legalis and, the everyday mom and pop muffler shop jobs.

phrozen
06-18-2006, 12:14 AM
well i talked to chp today, one of em was really cool. but basicially they said they can pop your hood when they pop your hood, they can pull you over for a "cat back" exhaust even if you have a certificate from state ref certifying that its under 95db they can still resend you if they want to be a dick about it, and thats exactly how he said it lol. he was like for what there doing to u guys in san mateo they got to be fuckin bored, hes like i dont take it too serious. i usually only pull ppl for doing stupid shit or if there shooting fireballs, he also said if he can see an intercooler its kinda asking for it. even tho having an aftermarket intercooler is not illegal to have if your car came equipped with a "front mounted intercooler" stock". yea it sucks.

imma put my wheels on, put my turbo kit on finish doing my fiberglas gauge pod maybe a quick paint job and sell it for like 8500

phrozen
06-18-2006, 12:15 AM
im tired of problems with cops, i just want to drive to work and drive home wihtout problems.... fuck i hate cops

fliprayzin240sx
06-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Exhaust tickets are the biggest BS they have in cali. If my stock exhaust has 477847549 holes in it and i take it to a EXHAUST SHOP, they fix that shiet...thats MODIFIED EXHAUST. If going to a exhaust shop and getting a non-stock exhaust is illegal...then wtf is the point of having them around??? Last time a cop pulled me over for my exhaust was the funniest. I can hear this fookin V8 with a straight pipe and cams 2 blocks out before it drove next to me while the cop was writing me the ticket. Funny how they didnt noticed that shiet.

Anyways...FL plates rules...ive been back to cali for 3 yrs now and gotten pulled over like roughly 10 times already. SOme are legit but most are BS exhaust and tint harassment. Popped my head with my full SR20 glory to atleast 5 cops, had 1 atleast try to write me up for my exhaust. Went to court and the judge pretty much threw it out before i even opened my mouth to say anything.

CaoBoY
06-18-2006, 01:10 AM
gotta love non-cali plates!