PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning with SR20

godlypolak
05-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Ive been having some troubles locating any information on doing the air conditioning up on an S13 with an SR. Currently I have nothing.. except whats required in the engine bay. And, i know that just by labor this place where i live would want 500$ just for the labor.. so im trying to figure it out. I also have the engine out of the car... so i have plenty of room to do the work. anything would be helpful :)

WILDACEX187
05-30-2006, 05:38 PM
u need to search, this has be over covered

180sxidey
05-30-2006, 11:08 PM
what year is your car?
if it s 89-91
and you are using sr20 comp. you need to customize your stock lines..
because the fittings are different...
or you could use sr20 lines if you have them.. (more work thou)
if you are using ka comp. u need to customize the brackets for comp....
hook it up
charge it.. done

if it s 91-
eisier.. just plug your stock lines onto the sr comp.
if you are using your ka comp.
you need a custom bracket or sr bracket to align it.
charge it.. done

ms!3
05-31-2006, 03:05 PM
why do you want air conditioning? the compressor is putting stress on your engine even when the airs not on. you could just take the airconditiong out and roll down your windows when it gets hot and gain alittle power.

PhopsonNY
05-31-2006, 03:27 PM
If you do replace the compressor, don't forget to replace the dryer too.

koukidough
05-31-2006, 03:47 PM
MS!3,
Losing hp for comfort is more worth it than anything here in Socal. Why sweat on the streets, sure you gain hp but who you gonna race on the streets?

hipro
05-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Having installed several, I feel the easier way is to definitely use the stock SR compressor and have a suction (low pressure) side hose made. I used the SR head at the compressor and had an adapter made to connect to the stock KA piping. I had an R134A fitting installed on the adapter, added oil and R134A coolant, and it works like a new car. Use the stock KA signal wire to actuate the compressor clutch and the stock KA pressure switch will continue to function, as designed. I am currently working on my RB A/C - just had the low pressure line made today so, if time allows, will be sporting A/C, power steering, and an AUTO tranny in my '92 Vert over the weekend! Should even have cruise control soon... all the comfort features an old man could ask for from a 15 year old car!

ms!3
05-31-2006, 09:39 PM
well this guy says he lives in delaware, thats up north so im assuming its not as hot. i didnt see anything about cali. i live in louisiana and i dont have air conditioning, i was gonna get it but they said it would be like 400 to fix it so i just took it out. im used to it now. i just roll down the windows.

nrg
05-31-2006, 10:32 PM
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=67735480&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

godlypolak
06-02-2006, 07:05 AM
yes, i live in delaware. but, incase anyone from cali didnt understand cause they couldnt... east coas has a tendancy to have HUMID days. in other words, you can feel the air moving around you when you run... its not that 'hot' but it feels like your in a sauna. aka, if you have a convertable you dont even wana take the top down. ive used it without AC for a while and i hate it. I work where i need to look good, and i cant come into work sweating my balls off.

anyways, thanks for the information. what i have right now is nothing. aka, no ac compressor or anything. I have an SR but i blew it and i am reinstalling a new long block right now. hopefully done within this month. So I was trying to find out what to do about making the lines custom cause i knew that much. Hopefully i will be getting the req. gear so i can start that soon :) if anyone has any pictures or diagrams that would help.

godlypolak
06-02-2006, 07:07 AM
oh, and the SR of mine has PLENTY of power that i dont need to sacrafice comfort. i have trouble keeping the wheels from spining until 3rd gear. so, this will be a nice addition.. as will my new gt2871r turbo :)

180sxidey
06-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Hi,
i have a favor to ask you guys!
I also need help on A/C install
yesterday, I tried to get the a/c working on 91 240sx w/ black top sr20det and i failed...

i am down in soCal and it is getting really hot..
I decided to sacrifice lil power for some cool air.
so i have looked at my ka lines and sr comp.
and noticed the fitting were different..
(according to Hipro.. i am guessing r12 fittings on my ka lines and r134a fittings on my SR comp)

so i went to my buddie's junk yard to see if any car uses same fittings...
and i found out ka24de uses same fittings...
so i picked up the lines.. came home and test fitted...
and noticed one of the line can't be fitted because the power steering bracket is in the way...

only way i can think of doing is relocated the fitting. but it will involve cutting and welding.
or i could try to find sr lines

hi Hipro!!
i notice you got the custom adaptor w/ r134a fittings.. do you know where can i find this adaptor w/ the fitting?

oh.. another one...
do i have to replace my evaporator if i wanted to use R134a?
i have stock ka evaporator and since i have line fittings for r12.. i am guessing... i have r12 evaporator???..
what about the compressors? are the compressors any different?
can i use r12 w/ sr comp?

i might ve said some stupid stuffs that doesn't make sense..
but it s really hard to explain when i don't know anything about it... lol
i hope you get lil idea...

any comments or suggestions will be appreciated
thx!!!!!!

hipro
06-05-2006, 03:56 PM
The USDM and JDM fittings are different. You either have to use the stock KA compressor (which means a custom A/C bracket) and its fittings or have a custom suction (low pressure) pipe made. For the SR, the discharge (high pressure) side is interchangeable, so you can connect the KA discharge line to the SR compressor. You then will only have to make one custom line. I have included a photo of my just completed RB suction piping, but it is the same setup for the SR. In the photo, you can see that I used the RB stock outlet from the compressor to mate with the stock KA suction piping. This involved taking the two ends to my local auto parts store that does A/C and hydraulic lines, where they made a simple compression fitting to connect each end of the two pipes (circled in green). The pipes were different sizes, so there is a different fitting on each end but, with compression fittings, all you need is a relatively straight piece of pipe for the compression ferrule to tighten against. My RB cools like a new one! By the way, you should replace all the O-rings at every connection point. Once connected, it should be as simple as adding compressor oil and then the Freon. I converted to R134A, because of the availability of the refrigerant, which means I also had to convert the service ports via an R12 to R134A adapter fitting. Let me know if you have additional questions. I can take a picture of the SR line as well, but the process and fitment is the same. Thanks, Mike Browning [email protected]

180sxidey
06-09-2006, 12:34 AM
wow thx hipro
i am using sr comp. since i don't know how to customize the bracket..
for my ka line,, i think both of the fittings are different... ( i think 92-up ka fittings are different from 89-91)
maybe i can get custom pipe made for both.. how much do they usually charge?
and....the service ports..... um...
oh... i get it.. oh.... where is the service ports at? lol..
thx for your help hipro..
i really appreciate your help
i am going to try it out this weekend or next week..
and i will let you know!!!

ManoNegra
06-09-2006, 08:31 AM
I asked Marco at the SR20Store (Socal - Gardena) about this a while back. The AC shop next to his will take your KA lines and adapt them to the SR pump and line stumps. ~$150 IIRC. Recharge it too.
I have a friend that works at a machine shop and we've talked about making custom brackets to keep the stock AC system on SR swaps but we're both busy with work and lazy...