PDA

View Full Version : CARB Legal Turbo kit?

silbeer
05-30-2006, 10:08 AM
I searched the boards but couldn't get any additional info on this.

For the cali guys, I was scrolling the ARB board and came across this (Under Kenne Bell):

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/aftermktdevice.php

It's a turbo kit listed for 91-92 KA 240's. I'm wondering if this even exists since the Kenne bell website doesn't even list it. The EO was signed in 92, but it should still be valid since there was a number assigned (D-271). I'm calling the manufacturer today, but if you guys have any info on this I would like to know.

Update: I called the manufacturer and was told that the project was put on the hold and was never resurrected. Perhaps with the popularity of the 240s we should show some interest and put pressure on the vendor to make this kit. I'm also wondering if people are still exploring the option of a carb legal kit or just find it more convenient to duck CHP with their own kits.

Irukandji
05-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Vortech makes Carb legal superchargers for z chassis (and g35)... who knows.. maybe it's just a matter of time until they expand.

that180guy
05-30-2006, 06:00 PM
mmmmm super charged ka, now thas what im talkin about :raunchy:

bemaniac38
05-30-2006, 08:16 PM
greddy is trying to get theirs qualified but i doubt it'll ever happen =/

Helghast
05-31-2006, 12:21 AM
Greddy's turbo is deemed "Carb legal"

keyword: TRYING.
Doesn't mean it's illegal.

But you're turbo-ing. WhO cArEs!1

phrozen
05-31-2006, 12:44 AM
i hope greddy gets it legal if it does im buying it right away. its a good kit but...
needs bigger injectors
needs emanage ultimate
external wastegate with a dump tube that goes into the downpipe

mrmephistopheles
05-31-2006, 02:49 AM
I emailed Kenne Bell awhile back about getting that kit into production and they blew me off.

4thHorse
05-31-2006, 03:44 AM
Greddy's turbo is deemed "Carb legal"

keyword: TRYING.
Doesn't mean it's illegal.

But you're turbo-ing. WhO cArEs!1

Are you saying it is legal till it passes and if it doesn't pass it becomes illegal. Does it have a sticker on the product? Also didn't take them 5 years to make the turbos for integras legal?

silbeer
05-31-2006, 09:47 AM
Just to clarify,

the EO# was for a turbo kit (w/ a T25), not a supercharger. Also, Kenne Bell already has a kit that is CARB exempt, meaning that it already has passed. They just chose not to produce it. Seeing as Greddy is trying to pass their kit for 97+ cars, this would at least give S13 guys a shot at a street legal kit as well, even if it is only for 91-92 models.

With the ever growing popularity of 240's and drifting, I'm sure as a group we can convince these guys that producing this kit would be profitable. That was sort of my point.

On a side note: I read somewhere that Greddy's kit didn't pass because the downpipe would replace a (pre?)cat on the car, something CARB wasn't too happy with. So as far as I know the kit will not pass until Greddy goes back to the drawing board to remedy that problem.