PDA

View Full Version : Rb20 Vs. Sr20

snp_317
05-29-2006, 09:35 AM
I've been debating recently whether to get an RB20 or an SR20, but i dont really know anything about the RB20. I know an SR fits right in to my s13, but I dont know if the RB would do the same. Wut would i need to make the rb fit? Also which one makes more power stock and how hard is it to maintain an rb. A couple of my friends have sr's and I see parts for them all the time, but I haven't really seen that many parts for the RB. Anyone know a site that has RB parts? So anyway, going on power, maintenance, which one would be better?

Phlip
05-29-2006, 09:54 AM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/search.php
use that very thoroughly, then use the FAQs above for specifics for each engine

mmsmannyc
05-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Well, honestly, umm.............. The Rb motor makes more horses but takes a little more to configure in your automobile. You will most likely be better off buying a front clip since you will need certain things like the engine crossmember and speed sensor. Your driveshaft will have to be shortened. The engine might sit a little high so the hood might have to be adjusteds also. You will need to do your research. Luckily the RB swap is getting just as popular as the SR swap so there are plenty of web pages to help you in your research. There are companies producing the hybrid driveshaft and other swap items you would need to perform the procedure.
I highly recommend if you don't know too too much about cars to go SR. Because RB parts are a little more rare and alot of customization needs to be done i.e. cooler pipes, exhaust, wiring, weight calculations due to the heavier RB motor, stopping power needed for the RB. It goes on and on, your doing the right thing, RESEARCH FIRST! :wavey:

DJPimpFlex
05-29-2006, 10:20 AM
The RB20 is like the red headed step child of the swap family, we dont talk about it and the only attention we give it is when we throw that shit in the trash. Not worth the trouble. Get a RB25 and do it right if your getting a RB.

mmsmannyc
05-29-2006, 10:25 AM
The RB20 is like the red headed step child of the swap family, we dont talk about it and the only attention we give it is when we throw that shit in the trash. Not worth the trouble. Get a RB25 and do it right if your getting a RB.
:wavey: THATS RIGHT

koukidough
05-29-2006, 01:13 PM
like he said^^ if you had to chose... get an SR. But if you really want an RB get a RB25. You dont want to waste all that effort installing an RB20, its just not worth it imo.

tre
05-29-2006, 01:16 PM
rb25 is better. but hey if you wanna get an rb20 go for it.

i belive an rb25 swap is around the same price as an sr from the guy that i've talked to.

But hell i'd suggest the ca18 that engine is pimp. and cheap as hell haha

S14DriftstaiN
05-29-2006, 01:23 PM
this is all tru,I have looked into it. and it is alot harder to find parts.however if you just want to be different...Mckinny motorsports has evrything you need..motor/transmounts,driveshafts,fmic kits,downpipes and all that good stuff,and all gaskets.

Jimmyg41
05-29-2006, 02:09 PM
RB20 FTL. Get the SR or RB25 and save yourself some hassle unless you have really low HP goals.

Birddowg240
05-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Go rb20. That is the engine i'm throwing in my car. An inline 6, i 214 hp at 6600 rpms, 185lbs tourqe at 4400. Yes an rb25 would be better, there is no replacement for displacement, but rb20 will be alot cheaper then an sr, and it's a stable base for a car. Not to much power, but enough were you can have fun and not have to do any mods. To me it's the perfact engine to throw in your 2600 pound car, not have to modify, and have enough power and tourqe for enjoyment. Did i mention the spool? Yes an rb25 would be fun, but when it comes down to it, it's your car, your money, and what you want out of your car. I hate sr's, for the only fact that everyone loves them haha. When I swap a motor in my car, it's going to be an rb20, and nobody can convince me otherwise. It's your money and your car, do what you want not what other people think you should do. Check out TND####. Go to the advertiser section on this forum. His user name is TND####. I've talked to him about my swap, and it wouuld cost $1700 shipped. The only thing else I would need is motor mounts and tranny mount. Hes a really good guy, been in business for 3 years. He will take care of you and tell you everything you need to know about swapping in an rb or sr or whatever.

yokotas13
05-29-2006, 02:36 PM
rbt his Sr that

unless you plan on swapping an RB26DETT into your shit, get an SR20

I have an RB20 skyline and an SR20 balcktop 180....and i like the sr response much better, the rb20 just feels um.....yeah sluggish at best to me stock.

but ultimately its up to you, but i say SR

yokotas13
05-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Go rb20. That is the engine i'm throwing in my car. An inline 6, i 214 hp at 6600 rpms, 185lbs tourqe at 4400. Yes an rb25 would be better, there is no replacement for displacement, but rb20 will be alot cheaper then an sr, and it's a stable base for a car. Not to much power, but enough were you can have fun and not have to do any mods. To me it's the perfact engine to throw in your 2600 pound car, not have to modify, and have enough power and tourqe for enjoyment. Did i mention the spool? Yes an rb25 would be fun, but when it comes down to it, it's your car, your money, and what you want out of your car. I hate sr's, for the only fact that everyone loves them haha. When I swap a motor in my car, it's going to be an rb20, and nobody can convince me otherwise. It's your money and your car, do what you want not what other people think you should do. Check out TND####. Go to the advertiser section on this forum. His user name is TND####. I've talked to him about my swap, and it wouuld cost $1700 shipped. The only thing else I would need is motor mounts and tranny mount. Hes a really good guy, been in business for 3 years. He will take care of you and tell you everything you need to know about swapping in an rb or sr or whatever.
and you do realize that it will get eaten alive by a FWD dsm lol just had to point that out

Tictakman
05-29-2006, 05:27 PM
the sound is just awesome, power is decent too on the rb20. id say go rb20 if u want something a little more different. ive had a kat a rb20det and a rb25det. both the rb engines dont even sound like they strain when u get on them. besides that i just love the sound of the inline 6, its sooo nice!

Zak

DJPimpFlex
05-29-2006, 05:38 PM
sure, inline 6's are great sounding engines, but you cant get a motor just cause its sounds good. No aftermarket, usually poorer quality because there older, harder to find replacement and mantience parts and the put out next to no power. SR FTW!

vanish1
05-29-2006, 05:55 PM
and you do realize that it will get eaten alive by a FWD dsm lol just had to point that out

what an ignorant thing to say, any car with any engine can beat any other car with any one engine, its all about how much power they put down.

Your driveshaft will have to be shortened. The engine might sit a little high so the hood might have to be adjusteds also.

wow, you are misinformed, the RB20 lines up perfectly with the KA manual driveshaft, only the RB25/26 need driveshaft requirements. Also you use aftermarket mounts and the R32 crossmember and it clears the hood fine.

Whats up with all the RB20 hate? sounds like most of you have not even done any research into this perfect cheap underrated motor. Stop praising the SR like its the greatest thing since sliced bread and get your heads out of your A**es.

vanish1
05-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Oh and the wiring is a snap, all you have to do is splice the RB20 wiring harness with the KA lower harness.

DJPimpFlex
05-29-2006, 06:08 PM
it is the best thing since sliced bread. The SR is the better choice because its a direct bolt up, and a lot less hassel in every way. On top of that its lighter and puts out almost the same power. Fuck RB20.

vanish1
05-29-2006, 06:33 PM
it is the best thing since sliced bread. The SR is the better choice because its a direct bolt up, and a lot less hassel in every way. On top of that its lighter and puts out almost the same power. Fuck RB20.

I pretty much proved that the RB20 swap is just as easy, obviously you have not done any in depth research into the RB series or else you would not be saying such ignorant things.

Onto weight, the RB is only 65 lbs heavier then the KA24E, most of that being in the tranny. So this creates a nice little setup because the heavier tranny brings most of the weight to the center of the car. your going to see about a 57/43 weight distrubition with a RB20 in a S13, an SR would probably be closer to a 55/45

http://www.random240.com/240/corner-weights.jpg

I love spreading info!

DJPimpFlex
05-29-2006, 06:49 PM
^still a worthless motor. If you did any research into anything other than the POS you'de know that its a POS. NO aftermarket support, parts are hard to find, dissapointing stock performance, ect. Also the SR is 90lbs lighter than a KA, so its a lot closer to 50/50. I'll know when I get my shit on the scales. Why do it if your going to do it 1/2 ass. Get a real motor like the RB25/26 if your going RB. The RB20 is a complete waste of time. If you want to factor price into it the CA also rapes it on price, though that motor is pretty bad off when it comes to aftermarket support and stuff.....

DJPimpFlex
05-29-2006, 06:55 PM
I appoloigize, I dont wanna hate. I'm a bit on edge cause I'm at work for the 11th day straight and I didnt get a lunch.

vanish1
05-29-2006, 07:19 PM
I appoloigize, I dont wanna hate. I'm a bit on edge cause I'm at work for the 11th day straight and I didnt get a lunch.

No its cool, youre not hating just being close minded, big difference.

still a worthless motor. If you did any research into anything other than the POS you'de know that its a POS. NO aftermarket support, parts are hard to find, dissapointing stock performance, ect. Also the SR is 90lbs lighter than a KA, so its a lot closer to 50/50. I'll know when I get my shit on the scales. Why do it if your going to do it 1/2 ass. Get a real motor like the RB25/26 if your going RB. The RB20 is a complete waste of time. If you want to factor price into it the CA also rapes it on price, though that motor is pretty bad off when it comes to aftermarket support and stuff.....

dissapointing stock performance? it has more HP/TQ and a higher redline then a redtop SR, and its cheaper then a S14 SR. Lets see, a S14 SR front clip is going for about 3.5kish, a RB20 front clip is about 2350 (Jarco price, a bit higher but better quality). So now you have an extra 1000 dollars to spend on upgrades putting the RB way out in front of the SR.

No aftermarket? plenty of big name sites are selling RB stuff, jgy, phase2, 240motoring. You can find manifolds/plenums from Tophat, uniqueautosports, Rips. The Z31 turbo is considered an upgrade to the RB20 and theyre plenty of parts that interchange from the 300zx to the RB.

So plz stop DJpimpflex, im constantly retorting your opinions with actual FACTS, when you want to provide some actual data with your arguments then maybe ill consider your view on this topic.

WickedDrift
05-29-2006, 07:22 PM
lmao i love just reading all these messages tyring to prove eachtoher wrong. there both awesome motors the end. both cheap and put out ez HP. one is just a little eazier to install than the other and hope u get wat u need with the motor or else its gunna be a little on the hard side to find em. not only that still more tourqe. and we all love that so each has its ups and downs i still agree the rb20 is undereastimated tho.

DJPimpFlex
05-29-2006, 08:01 PM
No its cool, youre not hating just being close minded, big difference.

dissapointing stock performance? it has more HP/TQ and a higher redline then a redtop SR, and its cheaper then a S14 SR. Lets see, a S14 SR front clip is going for about 3.5kish, a RB20 front clip is about 2350 (Jarco price, a bit higher but better quality). So now you have an extra 1000 dollars to spend on upgrades putting the RB way out in front of the SR.

No aftermarket? plenty of big name sites are selling RB stuff, jgy, phase2, 240motoring. You can find manifolds/plenums from Tophat, uniqueautosports, Rips. The Z31 turbo is considered an upgrade to the RB20 and theyre plenty of parts that interchange from the 300zx to the RB.

So plz stop DJpimpflex, im constantly retorting your opinions with actual FACTS, when you want to provide some actual data with your arguments then maybe ill consider your view on this topic.

OK, so its more expensive than a SR red top. Great that sucks.

Second, those are only bolt ons, which can easily be fabed. Show me some companys that still sell internals, cams, pistons, ect. Fuck show me where you can buy a new water pump or oil filter for fuck sake. If those things are hard to find then why did you spend so much extra money over a Red top SR which has pletiful parts.

You need to stop talking and defending your pos motor. I know my shit and theres a reason I dont like it so much. See how I have 1700+ posts and you have 14 and a neg rep.. Way to go.

Straight up this is how it goes....

PROS:
higher redline
cool noise
uhhhh thats it

CONS:
Heavy and set further forward
no aftermarket or OEM parts readily avaliable
More of a hassel to install compared to SR
More expensive than a red top SR
disapointing stock performance for a motor that you paid so much for

Its all negitives.

Phlip
05-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Why did I not lock this thread when I was the first person to reply to it?

TO THE THREAD STARTER:
Take note that this is an argument that will be beaten into the fucking ground, even I have my own opinion on it, but I will spare you. Search is your BEST friend, this is not new or ground breaking information.