PDA

View Full Version : Plasma vs. LCD

Dutchmalmiss
05-28-2006, 08:55 PM
alright my girlfriend is planning on getting a plasma tv, but i told her to get an lcd tv because of lifespan. am i right? anyone have one or the other? what are the pros/cons?

zero.counter
05-28-2006, 08:59 PM
alright my girlfriend is planning on getting a plasma tv, but i told her to get an lcd tv because of lifespan. am i right? anyone have one or the other? what are the pros/cons?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=plasma+vs.+lcd&btnG=Google+Search

mr_240sx
05-28-2006, 09:04 PM
well i find if bigger then 30 inch then get plasma if not then the quality of picture isnt any better if below 30inch

stinky_180
05-28-2006, 09:37 PM
be sure to get a tele with hd 1080p support.

theicecreamdan
05-28-2006, 10:16 PM
how long do plasma TVs last?

mr_240sx
05-28-2006, 10:25 PM
how long do plasma TVs last?
i beleive its something like 40 000 hours or something like that..... but if you leave video games on the same screen for a long time it will burn it out alot quicker

hendogg8
05-28-2006, 11:05 PM
be sure to get a tele with hd 1080p support.
Word, especially if you're gonna sneak in some PS3 on it, which supports 1080p.

You should check out this recent podcast comparing plasma and lcd's

http://web.mac.com/bankman2/iWeb/Site/Podcast/648D218D-6CDC-45C1-BA4B-89657286A82E.html

FYI, 5th gen plasmas have made it very hard for burn-in to occur, making it practically a non-issue anymore.

S14DB
05-29-2006, 12:03 AM
The Plasma half life is still unacceptable.

DLP FTW1!!

Dutchmalmiss
05-29-2006, 12:39 AM
hmm i heard about DLP. developed by texas instruments or something like that? (the calculator company) anyways i heard they're some high quality shit, high priced too.

alright i found that lcd PROS are of better resolution (better 1080p display over plasma), longer lifespan (guaranteed 60,000+ hours), more energy efficient, recommended for 15-36inch tv's. CONS are lower contrast, lower viewing angle, and price(expensive!!!)

PROS of plasmas are richer color/contrast, quicker refresh rate, and price. CONS are energy consumption, shorter life span(20,000-40,000 hours), and weight(more strain on wall mounts)

blackflag_Rms13
05-29-2006, 01:57 AM
Tube for teh win! Hehe, jk...

DLP is nice shit, my Ex's parents had one, that stuff is crazy!

Ricks15
05-29-2006, 02:00 AM
That sucks those things are so sensitive and yet they co$t so much. Im glad i still have black and white TV:duh: :D

AdoriPimp
05-29-2006, 06:05 AM
+1 for DLP

Can't go wrong with my 62'

smellslikecurry
05-29-2006, 11:46 AM
ya i got a 50" dlp by samsung...i got it for close to wholesale at 3gs including a 400 dollar lifetime warranty...def worth it even if u have to spend full price!!

Sil-Abc
05-29-2006, 08:45 PM
depends of what u like to watch is what matters most.

-plasmas are sold in larger sizers than LCDs. I forget what the size is but i think 30" is max on LCD?
-plasmas are thinner than LCDs
-plasmas are brighter than LCDs
-IF you like to watch fast moving shows (ie any fast moving sports like hockey, football) LCDs will have a lower quailty than plasmas due to the rotations of the liquid crystals. BUT if u watch slow moving shows, LCDs will have a better quality.
-As for lifespan, plasma lifespans are usually half the life of a LCD but so far its not proven yet. So pretty much plasma lifespans are "undetermined" at the moment.
-When u hear about burn-in and all that bullshit stuff dont worry about it. True there is such thing as burn in but that only happens when u leave a certain object in the same position for over a couple of days at least. Picture playing a game that shows the same object in the corner through out the game. If you play this game over 40+ hrs there will be burn in. But dont worry about burn in.
-With LCDs, there are millions of liquid crystals thus there is a chance for a few crystals burning out leaving a black dot on the screen permenantly. with plasmas, i havent heard of any of them broken yet but usually the whole screen will just go out.
-Plasmas will generate more heat due to the gases being emitted from the screen so if u put in a room, it generally will increase the room temp (not a major issue but i find it annoying at times)
-Plasmas are still fairly new and lifespan and other stuff like that is still undetermined but iuno as of today.
-plasmas are extremely expensive since they are still new while LCDs are cheaper since its been around for a while.

I used to work for good guys/compusa so this is what i know based on information from last summer. It might be outdated and i might be wrong on some of this stuff but im sure im right. SN: nan desu ka?! was a manager for GG for home entertainment so he knows his stuff.

Summary:
-LCDs better quality for still pictures, thicker, smaller sizes available, cheaper., longer life span
-Plasmas are better for faster moving pictures, skinnier, offered in 48" and higher i belive, brighter, more expensive, life span is usually half of LCDs, chance of burn in (but very small unless u leave the tv on a still image for 2 days), newer technology so there may be bugs.

*NOTE: AS FOR EXTENDED WARRANTIES, I WOULD GET THEM FOR LCDS BUT NOT FOR PLASMAS. with the warranties, for LCDs, in order to get it fixed a min of 3 clustered pixels must be out in order for it to be considered "broken". With plasmas they WILL NOT cover burn in, they will fix only if the TV just randomly goes out for no reason. ALSO DONT GET THOSE CHEAP AKAI OR PHILLIPS PLASMAS CUZ THEY TEND TO HAVE BAD QUALITY PICTURES/PROBLEMS. back when i was working they were always returned.

hope this helps :D

blitz180
05-29-2006, 09:25 PM
I think LCD's are nice. My grandparents have a HD Sony Wega and it's really nice. I think alot of gamers lean towards LCD and movie people lean towards plasma. LCD's are lower on power consumption than plasma, but both are higher than a standard tube television. We actually just talked about that in class the other day (I'm at Ohio University for TV Production). Like everyone else said, as long as you don't leave something paused or frozen on the TV for days it won't get burn in. And ALL TVs are subject to burn in. The biggest advantage to plasma is viewing angle. With plasma you are reaching closer to true 180 degree viewing angle, while lcd and projection is considerably less. Other than that it's a price factor. How much do you want to pay?

Nan Desu Ka?!
05-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Jon is right on a lot of stuff.

However you can get a LCD in 45" and should soon be getting a 60+"

The 45" is the Sharp Aquos model. This tv FUCKING ROCKS. HARD. It's a little on the expensive side, but its worth it. As far as life span and brightness/contrast goes, it cant be touched.

However Plasmas do perform better at fast action/sports due to faster pixel refresh rates than LCD... however LCD is DAMN close (im talking mili-seconds here). For plasmas I would go pioneer... preferably their Premier line... agian more expensive, but they are worth it. Also plasmas currently come in bigger sizes. Some of the bad include: unknown lifespan, burn in IS a problem (at my store we have burnt a few in... but it takes a LOT to do it. Just be aware, that's all.) They create a lot of heat, and heat is bad for electronics, and they have glare becuase of the glass...

WERDdabuilder
05-30-2006, 02:45 AM
i heard it takes more money to fix a plasma tv then the price you both it at. true?

koukidough
05-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Plasma if you have a living room and has +12ft viewing range. If you do not watch the same channel that has a logo embeded 24/7 "discovery channel". If you like lower res screens. If you think "plasma" sounds cool.

LCD if your planning on hooking it up to your computer. If your living room aint that large and your couch is within 12 feet viewing distance. If you want a lower electical bill. If you want a clearer image. LCD for da win.

LCD TV's goes up to 82"

RPS1392
05-30-2006, 10:11 AM
We use Sharp Aquos in our Bus conversions. Good Product.

Heres a 65" LCD

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/AQUOS/0,2338,,00.html

bp057
05-30-2006, 11:17 AM
I loves my samsung dlp, was too afraid of burn in since the xbox is constantly on and I use mine for a monitor on the pc too.

Arsenal of Glory
05-30-2006, 02:43 PM
First ask your girlfriend how big of a tv she wants.
Second determine how much viewing room/distance between you and the tv will be.
Third, ask what do you want to do with the tv (movies, tv, video games)

for me, i will mostly be playing video games and watching movies so i will go with a Plasma for faster refresh rate and richer colors. Also with LCD's you should have a "static" lighting so to speak because LCD's are best viewed directly on. If you tilt or move to the side the colors will change. However CRT's are best for colors.

exitspeed
05-30-2006, 02:48 PM
For you TV guys, what do you think is the best bang for your buck LCD or PLasma out there?

I need to buy one later this year, but I'm still up in the air on what I'm gonna get.

phreze
05-30-2006, 02:55 PM
As far as best value and picture I would go lcd hands down. Inless your picking up a newer 1080p plasma made my panasonic/sharp/etc.

I use a sony grand wega 32 lcd and the picture is very crisp it even doudles as my computer moniter. Sony lcd's seem to have the best blacks out there and one of the widest range of colors.

exitspeed
05-30-2006, 03:06 PM
As far as best value and picture I would go lcd hands down. Inless your picking up a newer 1080p plasma made my panasonic/sharp/etc.

I use a sony grand wega 32 lcd and the picture is very crisp it even doudles as my computer moniter. Sony lcd's seem to have the best blacks out there and one of the widest range of colors.

I'll want to get something that is 1080p for PS3. I'm building a dedicated gaming room in my basement over the winter. I don't need to have the best, but a good bacng for the buck.