PDA

View Full Version : Theory

OMGWTFBBQ
05-26-2006, 09:37 PM
this is not to make fun of, or single out anyone in perticular

this is the drift scene the way I see it

obviously, it starts with people who are into the sport, and those who are not. A lot of people that are not into drifting for whatever reason (honda owners make up a strong amount of them), think its stupid, and that the people who do it are only into because its a trend, and often do not recognize those who are truely dedicated to it. On the other end, a good amount of people that own rwd cars, 240s mostly from what I've seen, blindy talk down upon anything fwd. No matter how much they liked their honda before ( in the case of people who switched from FF to FR platform) , every honda out there is a ricer, and fwd is automatically super lame. While some people have their own opinions to back their word, so many talk shit about honda's because they think its the cool thing to do if you have anything thats rwd.

Within the drifting group, there are 2 more groups, not everyone necessarily falls into either, but there is no shortage of people the fit into each. First, are the dori d0ri fan boys, think anything out of japan is worth its weight in gold, loves initial D, crash into curbs trying to drift in residential areas and so on. While some, try, and fail horribly at drifting, others just want the look for their car, buying things some people would consider worthless if the car is not to see track time. On the other end of the spectrum, are the Drifting elitists. They seem to take any chance they get to talk shit, and lecture the 'fan boy's about how their car is stupid. They talk shit, and post pictures of battleships if your wheels arent flush with the body, and think theyre better than the 'fan boys' because they arent the bandwagoners. However, to me, by acting this way you are only becoming part of an ''anti-bandwagon'' bandwagon. Which in the end, makes you no better off than the people you despise so much.

this thread really has no purpose other than to share with others, what I see going on in the community
again, im not talking shit about any 'group' I mentioned, just sharing

feel free to add your thoughts

yokotas13
05-26-2006, 10:09 PM
i think it depends on the age/maturity level of the driver/enthusiast.

Im 21, have had hondas, DSMs (still a loyalist) and now a nissan and im starting to drift becuase, well all my friends do it and im finding it fun. Im more of a grip guy, but this shit is just plain fun.

but hte funny thing i saw in you rpost is the flushness thing. I dont know anyone here in japan that actually has flush wheels besides me and 3 or 4 other people. eeryones shit sticks way out adn crap.

but oevrall it describes the high school cliqes, and groups that the younger and more immature crowd actions, and not really hte real people. You dont see real drifters talking shit over here. They all want to help you get better, improve.

Guess its a US thing

kouki_s14
05-26-2006, 10:09 PM
i agree, but there is a group missing. the "true car enthusiasts". the ones that dont jump on (anti)bandwagons. they have the car(s) they love. they help everyone that comes along to their particular scene, even if they are know nothing newbs. they understand everyone has to start somewhere, they are just happy to contribute to their community, they are glad that they can find other people with common interests even if they dont stick around, they are just happy to see the scene grow period.

not sure if that made any sense, but you get where im getting at...i think....

Henry

OMGWTFBBQ
05-26-2006, 10:15 PM
while I didn't get into the true enthusiasts, I did referance to them.
but at the same time, I dont have much to say about them. They do their thing cause they like it, they help others. case closed if you ask me.

I just meant to point of things i notice, I tried not to generalize the community as whole, but more the people who blatantly fall into one of the categories mentioned.
I'd like to hear what others think also, as this is just my opinion and am interested in seeing other peoples take on it

Tenchuu
05-26-2006, 10:26 PM
i agree, but there is a group missing. the "true car enthusiasts". the ones that dont jump on (anti)bandwagons. they have the car(s) they love. they help everyone that comes along to their particular scene, even if they are know nothing newbs. they understand everyone has to start somewhere, they are just happy to contribute to their community, they are glad that they can find other people with common interests even if they dont stick around, they are just happy to see the scene grow period.

not sure if that made any sense, but you get where im getting at...i think....

Henry

+1 on that.. need more of them

by the way car is looking good henry!

A Spec Products
05-26-2006, 11:53 PM
no need to worry about others, just do what you feel

its a hobby, just modify your car and make yourself happy

its a car, its a representation of you, so just be yourself and enjoy it

i think people need to leave their angst at the door sometimes though, it seems like theres a lot of displaced hate on zilvia

Kn1ves
05-27-2006, 12:58 AM
i just hate people who think theyre hardcore.

OMGWTFBBQ
05-27-2006, 01:02 AM
i'm not saying I have a problem with either of these groups. But like kouki mentioned. Those are only the extremes, and of course you dont just get grouped into one of them. I was just describing what I see out of both them. A lot of people dont know themselves well enough to know exactly where they fit into the whole spectrum

FRpilot
05-27-2006, 01:07 AM
i totally agree with you.. its just a lot of things done by the trendy crowd really ruins it for the people who enjoy and want the sport to grow. all the attention is both a good thing and a bad thing.. the market has grown and a lot of new companies have come along to support the 240sx. however, with all the attention and drifting on the streets brings a negative vibe from cops. just look at what happened to altamont.

i'm a fan of all cars that have performance potential. some fwd cars have a lot of potential that these fanboys dont see, maybe not in the drifting sport but in other types of motorsports. a lightweight integra type R or even a crx can make it around the track quickly and maybe faster than some rwds out there. sometimes i wish the 240sx crowd wasnt so trendy and wished that the 240sx carried a somewhat low profile reputation as some of the other cars out there such as rx7s and mr2s that have a lot of potential. the rx7 and mr2 communities are pretty close with each other and know their stuff. sometimes i ask myself maybe i'll get out of 240sxs and move onto something else like a lot of people, but i've spent so much money and spent the last 5 years learning everything about these cars that i dont want it all to go down the drain. i guess i fell in love with them and dont want to give it up.. however, i've noticed from all the 240sx ive owned and experiences of others that this bucket is always broken and unreliable. plus i want something that gives better gas mileage and i've taken quite a liking to those k20s motors and have been reading and learning about them. 250hp na is nuts. ill probably end up getting one in the future when i graduate school but that's because i already ahve a turboed car and a 250hp honda engine for daily driving is ideal enough for me.