PDA

View Full Version : Military Anyone?

s14dr1ft3r
05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Ok, so I was reading the thread about "ThatGuy" and it got me wondering how many of us zilvians are actually in the military.

Personally, I am in the Navy (yeah, go ahead and laugh) and have been for the last 6 and a half years. I'm an Electronics Technician 2nd Class (E-5) stationed on an Arleigh Burke class destroyer named the USS Milius.

So, who else is in the military?

S14zenkiQ's
05-09-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm in the Navy, stationed on The USS Kitty Hawk (Aircraft Carrier). Going to Shore Duty Soon, Woot!!

ThatGuy
05-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Well, I guess my profession has been covered enough. :keke:

mrmephistopheles
05-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Former Marine here.
Barry and I are Bootcamp Brothers. We got to MCRDPI on the same day, were in the same battalion, lived within 100feet of each other, and graduated the same day.

S13SilviaGirl
05-09-2006, 09:01 PM
<~Navy for another year...then no mas. Too much out there to be stuck taking orders from other people.

s14dr1ft3r
05-09-2006, 10:11 PM
I'm in the Navy, stationed on The USS Kitty Hawk (Aircraft Carrier). Going to Shore Duty Soon, Woot!!

Dude...I'm sorry. The Shitty Kitty? At least shore duty is coming up for you. It is for me as well. I'm looking at orders to either Yokosuka or Sasebo. I've never been to Sasebo but heard it was more family oriented. Since I have a wife and 2 kids, that might be a better option.

I figured mrmeph was a marine but i didnt figure that s13silviagrl was navy. So far the score is Navy-3, Marines-2. Anybody else?

mrmephistopheles
05-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Dude...I'm sorry. The Shitty Kitty? At least shore duty is coming up for you. It is for me as well. I'm looking at orders to either Yokosuka or Sasebo. I've never been to Sasebo but heard it was more family oriented. Since I have a wife and 2 kids, that might be a better option.

I figured mrmeph was a marine but i didnt figure that s13silviagrl was navy. So far the score is Navy-3, Marines-2. Anybody else?

Yeah Lisa was on the Shitty Kitty until not too long ago (but only during floats.. :D )
Tenchuu is another user here.. I think he just got out of the Marines.

S14zenkiQ's
05-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Yep Shitty Kitty, Dont come to Yokosuka if they offer you sea duty, Shore her is ok,if you're on Sea duty here they treat you like a 3 year old all O-9 and below have a 0100 curfew, among other BS. Sasebo is very Family oriented, and its in the country, so everything is cheap, my old LPO was stationed there, he bought his GT-R there for $3k. nuff said. only thing bad about Sasebo is vehicle inspection, you have to do it at LTO, the base doesnt inspect so your car has to be damn near perfect.

TOMKAIRA93
05-10-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm Air Force stationed at Kadena AB, Okinawa, been here for 4 years and some change. Been in the military for 8 1/2 years and ready to get out next year. I'm in Iraq right now though and ready to roll out of here soon.

yokotas13
05-10-2006, 02:02 AM
USAF...im the spoiled one

TOMKAIRA93
05-10-2006, 02:26 AM
what do you do man?

yokotas13
05-10-2006, 02:27 AM
c-130 and helo engine mechanic (technically turboprop-turboshaft engines)

TOMKAIRA93
05-10-2006, 02:34 AM
cool!!! I wanted to fly c130's or heavy's in general, but my wife didn't want me to. :-(

yokotas13
05-10-2006, 02:35 AM
i love my job, love what i do, i just dont like some flight crews

TOMKAIRA93
05-10-2006, 02:45 AM
that's how it rolls in the military...I love my job as well, but don't like all the politics involved in it (military wise). That's why my a55 is getting out next year.

yokotas13
05-10-2006, 02:51 AM
ar eyuo on zeroyon.com?

TOMKAIRA93
05-10-2006, 02:54 AM
I signed up before I left to Iraq, but haven't accessed the site since. Most of the poeple from the site are in Okinawa. How long you been in Yokota? I was there a few years ago for a tdy class. I love being able to go to tokyo and all that, but the traffic there is brutal and I don't like the fact that it gets dark at 1700.

yokotas13
05-10-2006, 02:55 AM
almost 3 months i think
i have my bike up and legal now, so i just ride that around......but i must say..im never going out without me leathers on lol

Jung918
05-10-2006, 04:06 AM
I just started terminal on May 4th. I don't know about to do with myself. I been on zilvia all day. o yeah... USMC and was stationed at Pendleton.

s14slide
05-10-2006, 06:03 AM
I'm AF, C-130 Crew Chief, but right now I'm in a heavy maintenance/crash recovery section. I've been in almost 7 years now. Actually looking to cross over blue-to-green. I really want to go Warrant and fly helo's. Blackhawks or small birds preferably. Just gotta talk the wife into it.

S13SilviaGirl
05-10-2006, 07:09 AM
that's how it rolls in the military...I love my job as well, but don't like all the politics involved in it (military wise). That's why my a55 is getting out next year.

Werd! Same here! haha...what did you do in the AF?

Josh
05-10-2006, 09:13 AM
Marine Corps E-5 Active

overb0ost
05-10-2006, 09:18 AM
i'm going for my basic training in july and then going as vehicle tech.

s14dr1ft3r
05-10-2006, 09:55 AM
i'm going for my basic training in july and then going as vehicle tech.
What branch? Vehicle tech sounds like either Marines or Army. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There are also a couple friends of mine on here that are stationed with me on my ship...driftshot and speed_vision.

So far, its:
Navy - 5
Marines - 5
Air Force - 3
Army - 0
Coast Guard - 0

Anybody going to represent for Army/Coast Guard?

sal240sx
05-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Marine Corps SSgt stationed in 29 stumps

s14xman
05-10-2006, 10:02 AM
air force, stationed at mcchord afb washington(state), Structural repair for the c-17(paint, composites, sheet metal)

RSP13-Sideways
05-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Not a Marine yet, but finished my first 6-weeks of Officers Candidate School.

This June I'm heading back for my second weeks and my commission if I pass. I probably will though, then it's on to Officers Basic Training.

I need to stock up on some Mop-N-Glo for my boots hahahaha..

s14dr1ft3r
05-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Uh-oh...officer community is starting to break through. And you dont need mop-n-glo for boots. Once you get a good shine on them, its easy to keep them that way...although non-skid on ships are detrimental to boots. I have to replace mine every year.

kandyflip445
05-10-2006, 10:40 AM
I'm in the Navy. I'm in FC "A" school right now. E-2

yokotas13
05-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Uh-oh...officer community is starting to break through. And you dont need mop-n-glo for boots. Once you get a good shine on them, its easy to keep them that way...although non-skid on ships are detrimental to boots. I have to replace mine every year.
motorcycles are worse
i get new boots every 6 months lol

s14dr1ft3r
05-10-2006, 12:48 PM
hahaha...having fun in Great Lakes? I have a lot of FC friends. FCs and ETs are like brothers in the fleet. What kind of FC do you hope to be?...Aegis? Tomahawk? CIWS?

fliprayzin240sx
05-10-2006, 01:03 PM
<~~~USAF E-4 5 yrs and will be re-enlisting *SUCKA* Stationed out in Travis AFB, CA. Was trying to be ATC, washed out cuz McGuire sucked. Now doing Deployed Satellite Communications and hating it. We dont do shiet on the job till we actually deploy. Deployed my ass...they wont even put us in the damn AEF rotation...

overb0ost
05-10-2006, 03:18 PM
What branch? Vehicle tech sounds like either Marines or Army. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There are also a couple friends of mine on here that are stationed with me on my ship...driftshot and speed_vision.

So far, its:
Navy - 5
Marines - 5
Air Force - 3
Army - 0
Coast Guard - 0

Anybody going to represent for Army/Coast Guard?

well, it might be different since i live in canada. but yes, vehicle tech is the army. so i guess u can add me to the list after i finish my basic training in quebec! hope i get thru it alive.

and what is the difference between marines and navy? i thought marine = water? so marines would be like the navy. someone please educate me on the US system! lol

fliprayzin240sx
05-10-2006, 03:31 PM
marines are per DOD apart of the navy department. But they hate each other...somebody wanna put up some navy vs marine jokes...i must have heard them all when i was in San Diego.

s14dr1ft3r
05-10-2006, 04:34 PM
we dont hate each other. look at mrmeph and s13silviagirl...they're married. We mess with each other a lot but I have nothing but respect for Marines. They do a job that I definitely couldn't do. And the Marines and Navy are NOTHING alike. Yeah, the word Marines sounds like it has something to do with water but the only water they see is the ocean while we are taxiing their a$$es to the desert or in their canteens. We tend to refer to them as bullet sponges but most Navy will admit that they respect Marines. As for me, I'd rather fight the good fight from a safe distance while I'm out floatin in the ocean.

kandyflip445
05-10-2006, 04:37 PM
hahaha...having fun in Great Lakes? I have a lot of FC friends. FCs and ETs are like brothers in the fleet. What kind of FC do you hope to be?...Aegis? Tomahawk? CIWS?

Actually, I don't mind it here. I want to get to C school and my permanent duty station but I haven't had a hard time up here. I'm hoping to get CIWS in Dam Neck then to Washington state if I'm lucky. I should be picking orders in the next week if they get more in.

kandyflip445
05-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Nothing but respect for the Marines. But every group has some that make them look bad. That's where the jokes and stuff come from. lol

Jung918
05-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Not a Marine yet, but finished my first 6-weeks of Officers Candidate School.

This June I'm heading back for my second weeks and my commission if I pass. I probably will though, then it's on to Officers Basic Training.

I need to stock up on some Mop-N-Glo for my boots hahahaha..

I don't get it? Are you using the old cammies?

CHARLIE2020
05-10-2006, 06:13 PM
I served 4 years in the Marine Corps Active Duty and Reserve 4 years.

mrmephistopheles
05-10-2006, 06:20 PM
I served 4 years in the Marine Corps Active Duty and Reserve 4 years.

My reserve commitment just ended in April! :keke:

AFSil80
05-10-2006, 06:23 PM
air force, stationed at mcchord afb washington(state), Structural repair for the c-17(paint, composites, sheet metal)

Damn, another sheet metal troop, eh?

<--2A753 as well.

I've been at Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota for 2 years working on KC-135R/T's.

I had to do a few jobs on some C-17s when I was in Qatar, and man, I hate those damn planes. The layout of Lockheed planes are just awful, IMO. Either you need a B5 stand, or you're laying on your back.

I like working tankers, I just hate where I'm at.

Oh yeah, and mop-n-glo is horrible. We used and abused that stuff on our boots in tech school, and like others have said, it just doesn't beat good ol' Kiwi. Same goes for Leather Luster.

CHARLIE2020
05-10-2006, 06:32 PM
My reserve commitment just ended in April! :keke:

I finished mines in 2003 September...

raz0rbladez909
05-10-2006, 06:58 PM
add another one to the navy list, H-60seahawk (black hawk to the army) AD aviation machinist mate yup im a mech. navy isn't too bad i'm stationed in norfolk, va.

ThatGuy
05-10-2006, 07:15 PM
It's true, the Marine Corps is a department of the Navy...

The MEN'S DEPARTMENT!!

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

theicecreamdan
05-10-2006, 07:43 PM
he doesnt post much here, but CAMfabrication just joined the Army.

s14xman
05-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Damn, another sheet metal troop, eh?

<--2A753 as well.

I've been at Grand Forks AFB, North Dakota for 2 years working on KC-135R/T's.

I had to do a few jobs on some C-17s when I was in Qatar, and man, I hate those damn planes. The layout of Lockheed planes are just awful, IMO. Either you need a B5 stand, or you're laying on your back.

I like working tankers, I just hate where I'm at.

Oh yeah, and mop-n-glo is horrible. We used and abused that stuff on our boots in tech school, and like others have said, it just doesn't beat good ol' Kiwi. Same goes for Leather Luster.
yea i like them, but they are a pain to work on. Yea b5 stands!! haha. I hate pushing around that damn b7 to get around the armpits. And those retarted crew chiefs and there stuck screws.

fliprayzin240sx
05-10-2006, 08:28 PM
My buddies biggest gripe down in San Diego is how the navy keeps giving them (marines) the navys POS equipment. Either theyre broke or obsolete, but he says they just make em work.

Most of my old friends down there are either in the navy or marines, thats why i joined the AIR FORCE!!! LMAO

AFSil80
05-10-2006, 08:39 PM
yea i like them, but they are a pain to work on. Yea b5 stands!! haha. I hate pushing around that damn b7 to get around the armpits. And those retarted crew chiefs and there stuck screws.

NO KIDDING!

I had to get stuck screws from an underside anti-collision light...poor crew chief had to crawl from the front bulkhead entrance of the floorboards to the middle of the damn plane on his belly, and listen to our hammer taps to make sure we had the correct screw.

Worst job BY FAR was removing a rub strip from one of the flap track pods. A B5 stand had too wide of a base and damn near punctured the gear doors, but couldn't get us close enough to the rub strip. We ended up just ripping the sumbitch off since we couldn't get enough leverage with the dewalt to drill out the top 4 rivets.

Oh, and did I mention both were redballs? :hsdance:

NIK90s13
05-10-2006, 09:52 PM
EX Navy, I was on the USS America carrier, My older was a Jar head (Marine) younger brother is Navy on the uss prebel. I work with a retired Marine that was a dog handeler. True devil dog!!!

overb0ost
05-11-2006, 01:20 AM
can someone please explain the different duties a Marine would do compared to Navy personnel?

Tenchuu
05-11-2006, 01:24 AM
I just gout out of the marines. was a comm guy, but ran an armory too.

on a related not i just gout out of 240's too. hope to get somehting nice next.

kandyflip445
05-11-2006, 05:04 AM
can someone please explain the different duties a Marine would do compared to Navy personnel?

A lot. Kinda depends on your rate too.

S13SilviaGirl
05-11-2006, 06:48 AM
we dont hate each other. look at mrmeph and s13silviagirl...they're married.
Yeah, but I am pissed at him for not talking me out of joining the Navy when we were dating. :mrmeph: Therefore I am pissed at him all the time. He jusst wanted to be a Navy dependent.:fawk2:

Overboost: They typically have the same jobs as the Navy, but, they are more of the ground punders and go into the combat. Unless your specops for the Navy, then you go into the action too. Another big difference is that the Marines are a LOT more disciplined than us, and they have more respect for rank. Navy jerkoffs like to bitch and question what they are told (at least in my experience). Marines by far are more badass.

Navy/Marine jokes?

NAVY= Never Again Volunteer Yourself
MARINE=My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment
ARMY= Aint Ready to be a Marine Yet or Arent Real Men Yet....

s14dr1ft3r
05-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Overboost: They typically have the same jobs as the Navy, but, they are more of the ground punders and go into the combat. Unless your specops for the Navy, then you go into the action too. Another big difference is that the Marines are a LOT more disciplined than us, and they have more respect for rank. Navy jerkoffs like to bitch and question what they are told (at least in my experience). Marines by far are more badass.
You're right. Our discipline doesn't even compare to the Marines. That's why you see a bunch of fat asses in the Navy that are kicked out because they're not within standards. I don't here too many stories like that from Marines. Also, an E-5 in the Navy gets about the same respect that an E-3 in the Marines gets. They definitely have more respect for rank.

S13SilviaGirl
05-11-2006, 10:22 AM
^^Yepp, plus if you fail your 3 PRT's w/in a year, you get separation pay at .5 and depending on how many years you have been in they can pay you bank. Dumb Navy, if your kicked out for being a fat ass that can't run, you shouldn't get sep pay.

s14dr1ft3r
05-11-2006, 12:30 PM
^^I agree completely. I've seen some guys get screwed because of it too. I knew a first class that was ready to retire in 4 months. He just failed his 3rd PRT and they kicked him out w/ sep pay. Yeah, he got some money but its a lot less than his retirement would have been. Oh well, his own fault for being too fat.

s14dr1ft3r
05-11-2006, 04:01 PM
I also like how when I drive onto MCRD, Miramar, or Pendleton I get a "Thank you Petty Officer" or a "Have a good day Petty Officer". If I drive onto a Navy base, I get "***silence***". You just get waved on through like you're a head of cattle or something.

mrmephistopheles
05-11-2006, 05:49 PM
I also like how when I drive onto MCRD, Miramar, or Pendleton I get a "Thank you Petty Officer" or a "Have a good day Petty Officer". If I drive onto a Navy base, I get "***silence***". You just get waved on through like you're a head of cattle or something.

Yeah that's something that drove me apeshit in the transition from a Marine environment to a Nevy environment.
Can't stand how E1/E2s in the Navy show little to no respect for anyone above them.

axiomatik
05-11-2006, 06:45 PM

I'm not in the miltary, but I'll give you examples from two of my friends who were. One friend joined the Navy, he worked comms on some ship floating in the Indian Ocean. My other friend joined the Marines, he was sent to Iraq twice. Once he was assigned to burning shit for 10 days straight. No joke. They had the waste from outhouses stored in open 55-gallons drums, and they had to burn it to dispose of it. My friend was lucky enough to get this job. Since the barrels were open, a dry layer of hardened shit formed on the top that wouldn't burn. They had to jam a pole into the barrel, to break up the crust. This would sometimes splatter, and since he was given no protective gear, he got dysentery. No disrespect to any branch, but I would prefer Navy myself.

kandyflip445
05-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Marines have crazy respect for rank. Even for those that have retired and held a higher rank. One of my friends here came to the Navy and he would go crazy with how people acted. I've found that you can get treated a LOT better if you have respect in the Navy if only for the fact that they don't expect you to have as much.

On another note, I PICKED ORDERS!!!!!! I'm going to be working on the Mk160 5-Inch Gun on the DDG-102 USS Sampson. It's still being built in Bath, Maine! I'm still trying to find out what I do on pre com though. If anyone knows, please let me know what I would be doing.

fliprayzin240sx
05-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Shiet if you think thats bad, air force is worst. Im a freakin E-4 and i got 4 troops that i write on. Freakin im bout to strangle this one punk ass. I swear if i can kick his ass myself, i would have done it already. Its funny how most of us are just like wutevers until we get deployed and run into navy or marines. We start keeping our shiet straight to give the right impression. We run into Army, we just start laughing and giggling like little girls cuz absolutely nobody give em an ounce of respect. Well not till theyre a Gunny Sgt.

mrmephistopheles
05-11-2006, 08:43 PM
We run into Army, we just start laughing and giggling like little girls cuz absolutely nobody give em an ounce of respect. Well not till theyre a Gunny Sgt.

Army soldiers can NEVER become Gunnery Sergeants.

S13SilviaGirl
05-11-2006, 08:48 PM
DDG-102 USS Sampson. It's still being built in Bath, Maine! I'm still trying to find out what I do on pre com though. If anyone knows, please let me know what I would be doing.

Uhmm dunno what you would be doing because airwing>surface :keke: but I think Shaun is on that boat....his name is RADHAZ on here. But, he might have died...no one has heard from him in months.

kandyflip445
05-11-2006, 11:26 PM
He's on the Sampson? But isn't it not built yet? What am I missing here?

Damn beer.

Tenchuu
05-11-2006, 11:33 PM
He's on the Sampson?

he's on the Samson Simpson down by the beech in jamaca

Lod have meercy!!!

s14dr1ft3r
05-12-2006, 03:20 AM
airwing>surface? Not a chance in hell! But I'm on DDG 69 USS Milius and if you are the type that wants to stand out and get good evals, get your Combat Systems Maintenance Central (CSMC) watchstanders qualification. Also, once you get your ESWS pin, get Combat Systems Officer of the Watch (CSOOW) qualification. You get those 2 as a 3rd or second, you'll be a shoe-in for EP. I am actually standing CSOOW as I type as my ship is underway right now. I am one of only 4 2nds qualified for CSOOW (2 ETs and 2 FCs). There are no thirds. I have a 1st class that stands U/I under me (who is currently late for watch right now). As far as pre-com goes...SCHOOL! You are going to be going to ALL kinds of funky schools to get as knowledgable and as qualified as possible. While the ship is being built, they are going to take advantage of your down time and make you as big of an asset to the command as possible. They may also send you TAD to some other ships to gain that experience. I just had 4 people come TAD to work for me from the USS New Orleans (another pre-com). I hope this helps.

TOMKAIRA93
05-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Werd! Same here! haha...what did you do in the AF?

I'm writing contracts for the Air Force (contracting). There are too many jobs outside that pay lots for what I do. That's another reason I'm getting out. :)

S13SilviaGirl
05-12-2006, 08:56 AM
He's on the Sampson? But isn't it not built yet? What am I missing here?

Damn beer.
not 100% sure on that, but I know he is helping lay out the systems and getting some new boat ready for comissioning.:loco: crazy ass...he likes abuse.

AFSil80
05-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Shiet if you think thats bad, air force is worst. Im a freakin E-4 and i got 4 troops that i write on.

What the hell...an E-4 doing EPR's?

You got a line number or something?

cc4usmc
05-12-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm not in the miltary, but I'll give you examples from two of my friends who were. One friend joined the Navy, he worked comms on some ship floating in the Indian Ocean. My other friend joined the Marines, he was sent to Iraq twice. Once he was assigned to burning shit for 10 days straight. No joke. They had the waste from outhouses stored in open 55-gallons drums, and they had to burn it to dispose of it. My friend was lucky enough to get this job. Since the barrels were open, a dry layer of hardened shit formed on the top that wouldn't burn. They had to jam a pole into the barrel, to break up the crust. This would sometimes splatter, and since he was given no protective gear, he got dysentery. No disrespect to any branch, but I would prefer Navy myself.

I don't think thats the right way to look at it. Sure...sometimes your going to get the raw end of the deal and have to do some nasty shit. And for all you know your buudy could have done some dumb shit and thats why he was burning shit. Personally...i think that for all the dumb and gross stuff you might have to do in the Marine Corps, there is always cool shit that you will do to make up for it. Now don't get me wrong. I haven't had the pleasure to serve my country in Iraq. I have been stationed in Washington State wasting away for the first half of my enlistment. But i hear the stories, i watch the vidoes, and there is nothing more that i want to do then go blow shit up. But aside from killing people and blowing up stuff, i also joined for the respect of being a Marine and the honor of serving with some of the toughest, craziest sob's you will ever meet! Once your a Marine, its in you forever. You always feel a connection to other Marines, whether they are still serving or not. I don't think yo uhaev that in the Navy. The Navy is more like a job you pick to do. But the Marine Corps...it will change you forever....whether you were n for 4 years of 20+ years. If i could get out....i wouldn't. OOOOOHHHHHH RAHHHH!!

s14dr1ft3r
05-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Yeah, the Navy doesnt have that sort of connection. We transfer so damn much we hardly get the chance to make really good friends. Every once in a while you get lucky and make a good friend but the Marine Corps are all brothers and sisters...not just friends. At least thats what I have noticed. And people who join the Navy are only doing it for a couple reasons. Either they dont have a choice because they're parents kicked them out of the house; they don't know what they want in life and the Navy is just a temporary solution until you can find a better one (most people); and its something that many generations in your family have done before you and you're just following in their foot steps. There ARE some other reasons but I believe those ones are the most common.

chuy
05-12-2006, 04:22 PM
Im an E-5 SGT, been in for 11 years and ready to get out put only have another 4 for early retirement!!! Oh yes and Im commo-radios,telephones,computers and networks.

s14dr1ft3r
05-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Chuy - you Marines our really out numbering us Navy. I do pretty much the same thing (comms, radios) but for the Navy. I also grew up in Colorado.

s14dr1ft3r
05-17-2006, 08:24 AM
c'mon, I know there is more of us out there.

m072514
05-17-2006, 08:14 PM
ok... +1 for the officers. i'm a 1/C midshipman at the US naval academy in annapolis, MD. upon graduation in may 2007, i will be receiving a commission as either an ENS in the navy or a 2LT in the marine corps. i am planning on going marine aviation, so ill be in quantico, VA for the marine corps basic school, and then pensacola, FL for flight school. hopefully i can get stationed in miramar, CA flying fighter jets in a few years.

(slightly off-topic: i think the reasons not alot of officers are on zilvia are: #1: there are way more enlisted people in general... #2: officers tend to get paid more, and consequently drive more expensive cars than 240's)

S13SilviaGirl
05-17-2006, 09:10 PM
^^Miramar is sooooo nice! Hope you get to go there. If you do get picked up for F-18's only go E/F the old ones are the suck. Oh, and treat your riggers right, you have NO idea what can be done to flight gear when you get cocky w/us... :keke:

haha, I have never done it, but the things I could tell you!

RSP13-Sideways
05-18-2006, 08:30 AM
ok... +1 for the officers. i'm a 1/C midshipman at the US naval academy in annapolis, MD. upon graduation in may 2007, i will be receiving a commission as either an ENS in the navy or a 2LT in the marine corps. i am planning on going marine aviation, so ill be in quantico, VA for the marine corps basic school, and then pensacola, FL for flight school. hopefully i can get stationed in miramar, CA flying fighter jets in a few years.

(slightly off-topic: i think the reasons not alot of officers are on zilvia are: #1: there are way more enlisted people in general... #2: officers tend to get paid more, and consequently drive more expensive cars than 240's)

+1 for the officers in hrmmmm, the end of July. Going in as a 2ndLT...I drive a 240SX and I plan on going ground, my MOS would be a Battlefield Com. Officer.......Yeeee! :bite:

The thing I like about the Marine Corps is that it's a really really small world. Being the smallest branch of the military and having some of the most hard ass guys around, you can't help but stick together and faith in eachother. Ok I'm done here......haha

ThatGuy
05-18-2006, 09:23 AM
Muscles
Are
Required
Intelligence
Not
Essential

:bowrofl:

Omarius Maximus
05-18-2006, 02:35 PM
I was actually thinking of going into the airforce as an officer after I get my degree. A few of my friends have told me that young officers get treated like crap by the enlisted though. Anyone here an officer in the Airforce? Care to go into your daily routine? Please?!?

RacerAV
05-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Hey guys, read through the thread pretty quick, but didnt see anything about the army, so i guess ill represent for a bit! lol... im in the 82nd Airborne Div. here at fort bragg NC... I deal with communications, lots of different types, but mostly sat. com. and the like... i like what i do, but will be getting out after this contract is up... been in for almost 5 years now, been to iraq and about to go to afghanistan... i have about a year of college done, and want to get out to get my deg. then on to law school most likely... ill be working for the govt. doing almost what i do now, but while making a lot more money, lol. so ill be a busy little student! wow, didnt mean to make this such a long post, kinda turned out that way though eh? thanks!
Adamo

Revolver Ocelot
05-18-2006, 03:08 PM
^I got a question for yea. How hard is it to become airborne? Ive been thinking alot lately about joining the army and airborne is really something i would like to do. Also is it true that since i have a 2 year Associates degree i would be able to go in as an officer? Sorry for the newbie questions. :)

sal240sx
05-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Army soldiers can NEVER become Gunnery Sergeants.
That reminds me of the time I went to jump school. I was a Sgt at the time and this Sgt 1st class (E-7) started yelling at me to do something. I told him to calm down and to stop yelling. He said "Im a Sgt 1st class, Im equal to a Gunny in the Marine Corps" I told him " You may the same rank but youre not equal to a Gunny" I did so many push-ups I couldnt lift my arms to wash my hair that night.

corwin
05-18-2006, 03:34 PM
I'm a Cpl in the Marines out in Pendleton. Should be picking up Sgt in Jly, and then going on terminal in August. Ha!

mrmephistopheles
05-18-2006, 04:04 PM
That reminds me of the time I went to jump school. I was a Sgt at the time and this Sgt 1st class (E-7) started yelling at me to do something. I told him to calm down and to stop yelling. He said "Im a Sgt 1st class, Im equal to a Gunny in the Marine Corps" I told him " You may the same rank but youre not equal to a Gunny" I did so many push-ups I couldnt lift my arms to wash my hair that night.

LOL
It's true, too. Not that Army guys are necessarily inferior to Marines... Marines are just given WAY more responsibility.

fliprayzin240sx
05-18-2006, 05:47 PM
What the hell...an E-4 doing EPR's?

You got a line number or something?

Yah FOOKIN TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!:ghey:

Our shop just got fucked with all this force shaping bullshiet. I just hit my 5 yrs in when they sent my ass to ALS. Right when I got out they gave me 2 troops cuz we have a 18 man shop and only 5 NCOs at that point. Our NCOIC PCSd to Germany, 2 staffs got out, one more PCSd so we got 1 staff whos the NCOIC now. I was the only SrA who went to ALS so i got fooked royally cuz in their eyes, im the second in charge. Wuts fooked up was i intentionally not tried to make it cuz i saw this shiet happening, didnt wanna make staff and get shafted. Then they sent me to ALS 2 wks after I tested and got shafted either way. :bash: So a yr later, I just tested last wk, i should make it, if i dont....oooh im setting the bldg on fire and they can kiss their EPRs good-bye cuz imma be a very very disgruntled SrA. :hammer:

s14dr1ft3r
05-18-2006, 09:52 PM
Let me ask you Marines something. In the Navy you have your "chief" community (E-7 thru E-9) and once you make chief, you can do no wrong in the eyes of another chief. Does the Marines have a community like that? Just curious because there was in incident on my ship where a 3rd class (E-4) was caught sleeping with a chief (E-7) and all that happened was they both got counseling sheets (the temporary ones that dont even make it to your service record) and that was it. The other chiefs fought for this guy because they didn't want to have to bust a fellow chief down so they both pretty much got away with it. The 3rd class later ended up trying to commit suicide later by shooting herself in the chest...........but she lived, hehe.

s14dr1ft3r
05-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I was actually thinking of going into the airforce as an officer after I get my degree. A few of my friends have told me that young officers get treated like crap by the enlisted though. Anyone here an officer in the Airforce? Care to go into your daily routine? Please?!?
I'm not 100% sure about AF but I can guess that its pretty much the same in all branches. So allow me to fill you in. How you are treated as a Junior Officer (JO) depends greatly on the type of leader you want to be. You will be respected by your people if you are willing to do your job effectively and go to bat for them when the time comes. Enlisted want a leader that will make going to work not completely suck. Now as far as the newbie pranks go...you're just going to have to get over that. Everyone gets clowned when they're new...not just officers.

fliprayzin240sx
05-18-2006, 11:41 PM

Whatever you do, dont act like you know wut your doing. Have an open mind and absorb things like a sponge. Biggest thing that some Jr officers seem to forget is that, just cuz you have rank on enlisted, you aint got seniority. YES, you will get treated like a door knob your first year. I remember when my current section commander just got there, our then commander "hand receipted" him to my NCOIC. That was funny when he was getting handed over like a piece of equipment.

I got a boy who was prior enlisted whos an officer now. HE AINT DOING SHIET, then again his job doesnt really do nothing since he works acquisition...

Omarius Maximus
05-18-2006, 11:48 PM
^^^thanks for the answer guys I really appreciate it. As far as going up in rank is concerned, is that a given? I mean will people actually be gauranteed promotions?(not officially of course) Or have their actually been people who start out as privates and 10 years later they're still privates? Thanks again for your time.

fliprayzin240sx
05-19-2006, 12:07 AM
Well USAF wise...for enlisted...its freebie till E-4 then E-5 to E-7 you test for. E-8 and E-9, you face a board and test. Officers are kinda the same way, its free till you hit Captain, then Major, you have to face a board after your commanding officer put you up for it and gotta have your masters now if i remember right.

Omarius Maximus
05-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the answer flipraysin240sx, I thought that that would be the case. When I looked at the payscales on the air force website, I realized that a 2nd leiutenant (or equivelent to) doesn't make all that much, so yeah I'd have to rely on a couple of promotions. I really don't wanna deal with a recruiter so I'm just researching on my own till I get my degree.

s14dr1ft3r
05-19-2006, 02:08 AM
HAHA! Did anyone catch Leno tonight? It was a special show with ALL MILITARY audience! My little bro was there representin Navy! I even caught a glimpse of him a couple times throughout the show. Lucky Muther F***er got to see the pussycat dolls up close! That must have been some view.

chuy
05-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Chuy - you Marines our really out numbering us Navy. I do pretty much the same thing (comms, radios) but for the Navy. I also grew up in Colorado.

Army my bad for not saying.

I htink that its better to be in the Air Force just for deployments 30-60 days the longest I ever heard of an airman being deployed for was 6 months. There isnt anywhere that Ive been that was a 6 month deployment.

corwin
05-19-2006, 02:25 PM
I suppose in some tight knit units like grunts they might try to brush aside something like that out of sight from higher up, but I garauntee their ineternal punishment would be no slap on the wrist. Outside of them, if a SNCO fucks up, hes gonna get slammed hard, cuz he should know better. They need to set the example for junior Mariens and NCOs, one way or another.

S13SilviaGirl
05-19-2006, 03:38 PM
HAHA! Did anyone catch Leno tonight? It was a special show with ALL MILITARY audience! My little bro was there representin Navy! I even caught a glimpse of him a couple times throughout the show. Lucky Muther F***er got to see the pussycat dolls up close! That must have been some view.

I thought the pussy cat dolls sucked ass... and the one girl, totally ripped off gwen stefani's look from like 4 years ago...:nono: hehe

rossfashow
05-19-2006, 03:56 PM
im in the army!

s14dr1ft3r
05-20-2006, 10:58 AM
I thought the pussy cat dolls sucked ass... and the one girl, totally ripped off gwen stefani's look from like 4 years ago...:nono: hehe
ha ha...thats true. Now that you mention it, I know exactly which girl you're talking about. But yeah, I wasnt exactly praising them for their music. In fact, I'd never heard the song that they performed.

HalveBlue
05-20-2006, 04:51 PM
I'm a Sergeant (E-5) in the Army.

I just got transfered to Colorado Springs a couple of weeks ago.

I'm in charge of the Retirement Ceremonies on post and after I get that down I"ll be running other ceremonies as well.

Before that I spent a year getting reserve units ready for deployments by teaching them convoy battle drills, range qualifications, and CQM, among other things.

S13SilviaGirl
05-20-2006, 07:17 PM
ha ha...thats true. Now that you mention it, I know exactly which girl you're talking about. But yeah, I wasnt exactly praising them for their music. In fact, I'd never heard the song that they performed.

soooo I have to ask if you liked the spice girls too? :keke: :keke:

fliprayzin240sx
05-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the answer flipraysin240sx, I thought that that would be the case. When I looked at the payscales on the air force website, I realized that a 2nd leiutenant (or equivelent to) doesn't make all that much, so yeah I'd have to rely on a couple of promotions. I really don't wanna deal with a recruiter so I'm just researching on my own till I get my degree.

Shiet id take 2LT pay over E-4 pay. Fresh 2LT makes as much as damn E-7 MasterSgt. Then depending where you at, you make pretty good money on housing too. I know officers make enough money on BAH to pay for a mortgage payment every month.

mrmephistopheles
05-20-2006, 07:23 PM

The payscales don't show you the cost of living allowances, commuted rations or housing allowances. Depending upon where you live, that could mean an extra $250-2500.

fliprayzin240sx
05-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Well out here in travis...officer BAH is $2200 and my boy in LA, his BAH is $2600 a month.

yokotas13
05-20-2006, 07:48 PM
id hit it.........

yokotas13
05-20-2006, 07:49 PM
2lt at moody makes almost 1200 a month in Housing allowance, but no food allowance...but a whole 250 they are loosing out on

Psycho 240 Freak
05-20-2006, 10:00 PM
1st post here, but I'm active Army, SGT, 3rd Infantry Division, wheeled vehicle mechanic

fliprayzin240sx
05-21-2006, 05:17 AM
2lt at moody makes almost 1200 a month in Housing allowance, but no food allowance...but a whole 250 they are loosing out on

Officers dont get BAS. What they dont have in BAS, they make up in pay and BAH. Another thing thats kinda pissing me off around Travis right now. My BAH right now is roughly $1200 as a E-4, they lowered the BAH in the yr beginning of this year. I get to keep my BAH cuz im already locked on it but if i make rank this year, im not getting an increase. E-5 in the old rate would be almost $1500, but with the new rate, i make an extra $8 on top of my current BAH. I say thats fooked up cuz they raised the officer BAH for the area but slashed all the enlisted...

wait do warrant officers get BAS??? AF dont have warrant officers so it just kinda popped in my head.

S13SilviaGirl
05-21-2006, 05:27 AM
^^Yepp, even on the boat our Pilots and boat O's alike had to go pay their mess bills weekly...or all at the beginning of cruise. Kinda ghey. But damn, their food was soooo much better than ours.

BlazzinZ88
05-21-2006, 07:17 AM
I'm in the Navy. I went to boot up here at great lakes back on January 25. Currently I am halfway done with BECC my rate training over at Naval Training Command (NTC). I am an E3 Engineman aka ENFN, hopefully i'll pass my test in september to get my crow and be an EN3.

I am done here around June 28, though I have yet to get my orders. I was told I won't get them till I am almost done with school. I submitted on my dream sheet Yokosuka, Sasebo, and Norfolk.

So far I am enjoying myself, even if NTC is a shitty place to be, almost as crappy as boot. Oh well at least I get to see the D1 grand prix on June 10th because of getting stuck here at Great Lakes.

S13SilviaGirl
05-21-2006, 08:17 AM
^^^You wont get orders til hella late...we have people leaving in less than a month and still no orders. Also, you DO NOT want japan as an e-5 and below single being navy. The fleet has seriously been f'in up big time and the ADM is cracking down. You'd be better off stateside if you don't want to be treated like you are in bootcamp still.

BlazzinZ88
05-21-2006, 10:15 AM
I have heard about that, but I allready submitted my dream sheet before I found out about that. It would probablly be best if I got that as my second duty station, though I still kind of want to go Just to enjoy the culture, not to mention the money you make overseas. I joined the navy specifically wanting overseas duty, so I can broaden my horizens and learn things that most of us americans are ignorant to. Even with the rules in Japan I don't think it will effect me to much, as I am not a wild guy. I won't be getting drunk as I maybe drink 3 times a year top. So I should have no problem staying out of trouble unless I were to get a car =) then I might get in trouble lol. Driving is my bad habit, I would want to see how I could do against Japanese Drivers in a race. pick up an old 200zr or maybe 300zr. But I would have to make e5 or be married to do so. If I do well I could make e5 during my 1st enlistment since the EN field is wide open.

BlazzinZ88
05-21-2006, 10:19 AM
also is it only strick in Yokosuka, or is it bad in Sasebo as well. Only reason I put in Yokosuka first was since it was close to Tokyo, but the majority of us engineers are getting sent to Sasebo to be on Amphibs. Except for MM they are getting sent to the Shitty Kitty to prepare it for Decom.

fliprayzin240sx
05-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Is there a replacement for the kitty hawk yet? IIRC thats one of the few, if not last, set of conventional powered carriers right?

iono, i just updated my dream sheet and im towards the end of my enlistment, maybe theyll drop orders on my lap before i my re-enlistment. i'm just ready to get the fook out of here and actually do my job. Either that or my ass will put up a nice retraining packet.

BlazzinZ88
05-21-2006, 03:09 PM
I can't remember the name of the cvn that is replaceing the Kitty. I'll check to see if the ABH3 returnee buddy of mine remembers. They told us but I just can't remember. Yeah the Kitty is the last commisioned CV in the fleet. It is also the second oldest commisioned ship in the fleet second only to the constitution.

My cousin is on it now, he is an IT3. He told me that Japan is awsome but life sucks on the Kitty Hawk. He is going to go back to coranado to try out for the seals again when his duty is up. I think he is done in Japan next year. Me and him are the only enlisted personel in the navy with our last name. Makes it easy for us to find each other.

BlazzinZ88
05-21-2006, 03:27 PM
Which BEQ are you in. I know you must be somewhere in the Hiltons aka 800s if I had to guess I am going to say USS Wisconsin?

I was in the USS Preble BEQ635 but they moved us over to USS Essex BEQ633. But I enjoy slumming it in the 600s.

I wonder if I met you over at the peir, I was talking to a FC a couple days or so ago over at the Wangan Midnight game about s13s, 510s, ext.

Maybe we can hang out sometime. Just as long as nobody notices an engineer and fc hanging out lol.

S13SilviaGirl
05-21-2006, 03:38 PM
It is the Washington replacing the KH.

Driving, you 'typically' cant get a car until e5. And it is Japan wide. except Oki. and yoko/KH is getting the worst of it.

S14-vietusmc
05-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Sgt here... 5 years done, heading to EOD school now.

Omarius Maximus
05-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Awesome, so the payscales aren't an accurate representation of one's income while in service. Thanks for the clarification. I just emailed a question to the air force rep asking if it was alright to have laser eye surgery prior to joining and he said that lasik disqualifies you. One would need to sign a waiver within 1 year of the surgery. I was just wondering if they grant waivers easily or is that hard to come by? Do you fellas know anyone in the service with some type of vision correction procedure done to them?

yokotas13
05-23-2006, 03:48 AM
you can get it done free in the air force. im about to get my packet put in for it next month

S13SilviaGirl
05-23-2006, 05:26 AM
Awesome, so the payscales aren't an accurate representation of one's income while in service. Thanks for the clarification. I just emailed a question to the air force rep asking if it was alright to have laser eye surgery prior to joining and he said that lasik disqualifies you. One would need to sign a waiver within 1 year of the surgery. I was just wondering if they grant waivers easily or is that hard to come by? Do you fellas know anyone in the service with some type of vision correction procedure done to them?

It depends on what you are doing. Flight status can make you not eligable if you have it done. Like Yokota said, they will do it in the service if you need it...just depends.

Tenchuu
05-23-2006, 12:37 PM
I am getting my last paycheck here in a few more days ... just hought that i would let everyone know :)

s14dr1ft3r
05-23-2006, 07:49 PM
ummm...no. They looked like sh*t AND couldnt sing.

To the ENFN...they gave the BEQs names of ships now? How long has it been like that? When I was there (6 and a half years ago) I lived in 635 for the tech core part and when I was in ET "A" school I lived in the "Hiltons" aka the 800s. I think it was 831...the 5 story one closest to the 600s. When I was there, they were just building the new NEX (not so new anymore). The NEX used to be over by the main gate close to building 1.

RacerAV
05-23-2006, 08:09 PM
I am getting my last paycheck here in a few more days ... just hought that i would let everyone know :)

damn you!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Adamo

BlazzinZ88
05-23-2006, 09:52 PM
ummm...no. They looked like sh*t AND couldnt sing.

To the ENFN...they gave the BEQs names of ships now? How long has it been like that? When I was there (6 and a half years ago) I lived in 635 for the tech core part and when I was in ET "A" school I lived in the "Hiltons" aka the 800s. I think it was 831...the 5 story one closest to the 600s. When I was there, they were just building the new NEX (not so new anymore). The NEX used to be over by the main gate close to building 1.

I don't know when they did the name thing. But BEQ 635 is the greatest building hands down. I miss that one good ol USS Prebble. The whole 600 complex are engineering quarters now since nobody lives in the 500 that I can think of. The thing I loved most about 635 was the hot water. In never ran out and was so hot we cooked ramen noodles in the sink since we don't have kitchens like the 800s. I lived in K208, my window was right accross from the McDonalds sign. J side was a slum though thats why we were moved out so they could renovate, had missing windows, and ceilings falling apart in the head.

If I understand correctly from my ET he informed me today since he is almost done with ATT school, that the ETs get moved from the 800s to the USS Cole I forget building number. Its 4 digits and starts with a 6. It is located right next to gate 5 and the behind the HT A school.

kandyflip445
05-24-2006, 04:30 AM
Which BEQ are you in. I know you must be somewhere in the Hiltons aka 800s if I had to guess I am going to say USS Wisconsin?

I was in the USS Preble BEQ635 but they moved us over to USS Essex BEQ633. But I enjoy slumming it in the 600s.

I wonder if I met you over at the peir, I was talking to a FC a couple days or so ago over at the Wangan Midnight game about s13s, 510s, ext.

Maybe we can hang out sometime. Just as long as nobody notices an engineer and fc hanging out lol.

I'm in 6301. I got transferred here when they kicked out all the males out of 830 (Bonhomme Richard). That Q was fun.:rolleyes: It might have been me. I go to the pier and get drunk way too much. :faint: I just got the typhoid shot yesterday and it didn't hurt like everyone says. I hope my orders post soon.

lcpljrm
05-24-2006, 09:53 AM
USMC here, E Co. ATBN

BlazzinZ88
05-24-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm in 6301. I got transferred here when they kicked out all the males out of 830 (Bonhomme Richard). That Q was fun.:rolleyes: It might have been me. I go to the pier and get drunk way too much. :faint: I just got the typhoid shot yesterday and it didn't hurt like everyone says. I hope my orders post soon.

I can imagine how nice it would be to be in 830. Its what 4 floors high and all but 1 is females. They have some good looking women in that Q as apposed to the 632 where they look nasty for the most part save a handful?

Which Duty Section are you in? I am in 4, we got are buts handed to us yesterday at UCC.

m072514
05-25-2006, 12:39 AM

I got PRK (photoreactive keratectomy) from the NNMC bethesda for free. my vision was about 20/70 uncorrected before... now it is 20/15!!! i am pilot qualified, and over 400 of my classmates at the US naval academy have also gotten the surgery. the navy/marine corps does not accept LASIK surgery because it is unproven in a high-stress environment such as a pressurized cockpit.

BTW... the BLUE ANGELS performed at my school today, for the second day in a row! those guys are absolute badasses!!!

airsoft
05-25-2006, 03:38 AM
Ok since this is military question...

Well, this summer I missed the deadline for PLC. I'm a junior @ Cal Poly and goign to be 25 this year :X. So next year I must graduate and apply for OCC.

Another route another Gunny told me was to join as enlisted reserve, get soem experience in bootcamp, come home for a week, go to MCT or SOI if thats my job, then go to my Formal trainging for the job selected, then i go to my Reserve unit. Right when I get to my reserve unit I tell the CO there I would be applying for Officer School. <-- that would cancel out my enlisted reserve contract, but I would be active duty Officer.

He said that route would route me back to PLC, with an "edge" on others that are straight in from College....

Now.. am I getting twisted around here? Of course I ask you guys cuz Recruiters can be tricky sometimes...

Thanks.

m072514
05-25-2006, 10:28 AM
recruiters are trying to get their quotas filled. the amount of "mustangs" (prior enlisted who become officers) is actually pretty low. its not impossible, and i know a few myself, but the chances are pretty slim. try talking to a blue & gold officer in that area. im originally from west covina, and i have a bunch of friends at cal poly. short of that... talk to an NROTC guy.

Sean1978
05-25-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm a Sgt in the USMC. Been in about 9 years, I'm an avionics cal man.

I spend a bit of time in Beaufort, S.C.
Most of my time in Iwakuni, Japan
and I went home on HUMS after I got skin cancer (did a year of chemo)

Now I'm at the I&I in Charlotte and I'm getting out on August 1st. It's been a good 9 years but I'm ready for a change. I'm lucky because my MOS transitions easily into the civillian world.

I wish I could have bought my Skyline back from Japan.... :-(

fromxtor
05-25-2006, 07:04 PM
<USAF Aircraft Hydraulics System technician. Currently deployed

airsoft
05-25-2006, 11:17 PM
I suck at exercise....

Trying to run 3 miles in 6 minutes by end of summer...

currently @ one mile in almost 8 minutes hahaha

S13SilviaGirl
05-26-2006, 02:15 AM
I suck at exercise....

Trying to run 3 miles in 6 minutes by end of summer...

currently @ one mile in almost 8 minutes hahaha

That is near impossible....:mepoke: don't kill yourself trying to do that.

SimpleS14
05-28-2006, 01:04 PM
This might be off-topic...but I have a question for those in the military.

Say your an officer in the Air Force and you get stationed in Germany...are you allow to take your car with you?

S13SilviaGirl
05-28-2006, 08:07 PM
^^^Depends...sometimes they allow you to take a car sometimes they don't. When I was written my orders, they didn't put it in, but going back stateside soon, if I were to buy a US spec car here like a BMW or a Benz, I could take it back...but it has to be US spec or 25 years or older.

zero.counter
05-28-2006, 08:22 PM
If the past counts, then 4 years of army time...SPEC5 95-99, nuff' said. I don't talk about it much as it is usually irrelevant, demotivational, and deconstructive towards my new goals in life.

theicecreamdan
05-28-2006, 10:14 PM
^^^Depends...sometimes they allow you to take a car sometimes they don't. When I was written my orders, they didn't put it in, but going back stateside soon, if I were to buy a US spec car here like a BMW or a Benz, I could take it back...but it has to be US spec or 25 years or older.

is that just for officers?

radhaz
05-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Uhmm dunno what you would be doing because airwing>surface :keke: but I think Shaun is on that boat....his name is RADHAZ on here. But, he might have died...no one has heard from him in months.

C'mon Lisa you've known me for what 3 almost 4 years now and haven't gotten used to this yet? Every year I hibernate for what about 3 months or so? This one is a little longer because I've been busy as hell but I promise to come back to the fold soon enough.

You're close about guessing the sampson but no I just left maine on my boat but I know some of the sampson sailors. So kandyflip pm me and I will be happy to fill you in on what a 160 tech will be doing in pre-comm while waiting for your boat to be built. In fact if you have an electronic copy of your orders pm me your email address and I will even be so kind as to translate some of it for you (as well as make sure I won't misinform you)

As for the ET2 who's on the PC while standing CSOOW If you're underway and on the PC surfin the net while standing CSOOW I am certain your STO can find something more productive for you to be doing :p I've had several friends from Weaps/CS some plankowners off of your ship it's got a rich history.

On a more 240 related note and to catch my friends up, I'm in jacksonville fl (have been here 3 days) and the S13 and wife are chilling in SD while I get sorted out here (long story check your pm's/email me). I've already been car shopping and I'm currently ogling an older s10/s10blazer as a daily driver and one of 2 S13 FB shells I've found in the area unfortunately BOTH are auto's but if I'm going to rebuild the damn thing it really doesn't matter. Wow what a long and worthless post.

Lisa one day after you've retired from the USN you're going to look back and recount all the cool shit you've done in the USN while being a brownshoe to your friends and they will be regaled with tales of washing planes, packing chutes and cleaning up some dumb pilots mess. Me, I'll just pop in a recording of CNN and tell people to watch the clip and when the explosion goes off I'll just smile and say confidently "I did that" :) We all know the surface fleet is the Real Navy.

PS Kandyflip...thats not a very Right Spirit/DAPA oriented name for a sailor to have :hahano:

s14dr1ft3r
05-30-2006, 07:48 PM
As for the ET2 who's on the PC while standing CSOOW If you're underway and on the PC surfin the net while standing CSOOW I am certain your STO can find something more productive for you to be doing :p I've had several friends from Weaps/CS some plankowners off of your ship it's got a rich history.
Surfing the net while underway isn't something that most on my ship have the access to do. We just got SHF (gives the ship email/internet capability)installed during our last yard period and I am the tech for it. So while some may see my surfing as a waist of time while on watch, I prefer to call it "continuously monitoring SHF" and in the event that a page fails to load, I know that the system went down without ever getting a troublecall. Its a rough job but someone's got to do it. And for the record, STO on my boat is the sh*t and the CSMM is even better. I usually borrow movies from them to watch while standing the CSOOW midwatch.

S13SilviaGirl
05-30-2006, 09:23 PM
C'mon Lisa you've known me for what 3 almost 4 years now and haven't gotten used to this yet? Every year I hibernate for what about 3 months or so? This one is a little longer because I've been busy as hell but I promise to come back to the fold soon enough.

I know I know...but ya know hearing kevin talk about how much he misses you, then seeing you on American Idol (BTW, congrats on winning it! and no thanks for your friends from cali booo) made him talk about you even more and stuff....made me miss ya too!!!!!

Lisa one day after you've retired from the USN you're going to look back and recount all the cool shit you've done in the USN while being a brownshoe to your friends and they will be regaled with tales of washing planes, packing chutes and cleaning up some dumb pilots mess. Me, I'll just pop in a recording of CNN and tell people to watch the clip and when the explosion goes off I'll just smile and say confidently "I did that" :) We all know the surface fleet is the Real Navy.

Retired!?!?!?! Are you outta your frikken mind?!?!?! I am OUT in MAY!!! hahahahahahahahaahahahaha. You will still be stuck on that boat. I will be hugging my car, washing it and having Carne Asada fries with Peetah. Oh, and In and Out and On the boarder and Chevys and anyplace w/good food in cali...oh and Bamboo hut :Owned: Yeah, you can have your CNN tape...I have DVD's of our planes dropping shit on ppl. hehe.

Welcome back Shaun! We missed yas!!!!!!!

This is from kevin :fart:

S13SilviaGirl
05-30-2006, 09:34 PM
is that just for officers?

I believe it is E-5 and above...

yokotas13
05-30-2006, 10:09 PM
washing aircraft sucks....specially c-130s

Ghettokracker71
05-31-2006, 06:17 AM
I've always wanted to be a marine...when I was growing up my dad always spoke so highly of the military and whatnot. Turned 18 and got a big NO from everybody...marines...army...navy...you name it,they said no :(

SimpleS14
05-31-2006, 09:53 AM
you name it,they said no :(

Even Coast Guard???

For the record I'm not making fun of the Coast Guard.

Ghettokracker71
06-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Even Coast Guard???

Yeah I understand what you mean...they just have a different accetence standard.

I did talk to them,but they also said no. I just had knee surgery,so its proble for the better. I am on crutches and in a brace from my ankle to my thigh for 6 weeks,so...I would have had to take a leave of absence..

Sometimes its hard for me not to be very negative about the military because I wish I could be in it soooooooo bad...but,those guys rule man. If I could be there with them,putting their lives on the line,I would:wavey:

kandyflip445
06-01-2006, 09:59 PM
You're close about guessing the sampson but no I just left maine on my boat but I know some of the sampson sailors. So kandyflip pm me and I will be happy to fill you in on what a 160 tech will be doing in pre-comm while waiting for your boat to be built. In fact if you have an electronic copy of your orders pm me your email address and I will even be so kind as to translate some of it for you (as well as make sure I won't misinform you)

PS Kandyflip...thats not a very Right Spirit/DAPA oriented name for a sailor to have :hahano:

About the name...um...it was prior Navy when I got the name and it's kinda misleading cause it doesn't me what you think it is...lol.

I actually haven't had my orders posted yet. I'm still waiting on them to post. I had to do this pre-com package and get a whole bunch of signatures and have an interview with a chief and then I think it has to be signed by the LCPO of the school I attended and so on and so on.... If you could PM me some info that would be great. You wouldn't by any chance be on the DDG-101 would you? My friend is here in C school gor SITE TV (IC) and he's going to that ship when he finishes in Aug.

S13SilviaGirl
06-02-2006, 05:56 AM
Even Coast Guard???

coast guard is more strict than the other branches. Navy, Marines, Army, AF all can give waivers for things such as tattoo's/drugs/alcohol ect. The CG has no waivers at all. Especially for tattoos. They don't allow ANY on arms/legs/anywhere visible.

S14zenkiQ's
06-02-2006, 09:36 AM
I just made MA3!!! (E-4) it was only 16.9% advancement in my rate, I have to wait a week to find out what percentile I was.

flynhigh
06-02-2006, 10:04 AM
United States Air Force E-4, 2Alpha5 (heavies crew chief) formerly of the ac130 assortment, but now assigned to kc-135s

fromxtor
06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
coast guard is more strict than the other branches. Navy, Marines, Army, AF all can give waivers for things such as tattoo's/drugs/alcohol ect. The CG has no waivers at all. Especially for tattoos. They don't allow ANY on arms/legs/anywhere visible.

This is not the case anymore, at least not with the AF since 9/11.

Ghettokracker71
06-02-2006, 02:47 PM

Wow if thats true thats pretty gay IMHO

but then again back when I talked to them I had no ink,no peircings,I didn't drink or smoke so...:duh:

flynhigh
06-02-2006, 03:58 PM
i know in the air force, a certain percent of visible skin can be inked, i forget what that percent was though.

flytwa78
06-04-2006, 01:49 AM
Army Reserves... if that counts.

I was lucky to be stationed in Camp Zama Japan for a year in 2002 and I loved every minute of it. I am now on Guam and planning on going active Navy.

S13SilviaGirl
06-04-2006, 02:38 AM
Army Reserves... if that counts.

I was lucky to be stationed in Camp Zama Japan for a year in 2002 and I loved every minute of it. I am now on Guam and planning on going active Navy.

Cool, Zama pissed me off about 30 mins ago! haha. What do you do in the Army?
What are you planning on doing in the Navy? Certain fieldsd make Bank when they get out. A friend of mine was just offered a job in Robotics, no degree, just his 5 years in the Navy starting at $86,000 a year with unlimited potential as soon as he finishes his degree...

fromxtor
06-04-2006, 03:06 AM
The AF regulation states no tattoos that with racial or indecent images period , and tattoos can only cover 25% of the exposed area. Thats pretty much just your arms, and 25% wearing a T-shirt isnt that much. Also no tattoos on your neck.

fliprayzin240sx
06-04-2006, 05:09 AM
Funny I just updated my dream sheet with Camp Zama on top of my overseas list. Anybody know anybody stationed in that bitch? Trying to get a SATCOM slot out there. It funny how AF got job slots in an army base. Orders are tricling down from AFPC, hopefully imma get something. My boy put in his dreamsheet a day before i did and he got orders for Ramstein last thursday. I got Hickam on my sheet too and theres actually 3 slots open for E-3s so ive been holding my breath. Japan wise, only slot open for my rank and job is Misawa. I just wanna go to either Japan, Guam, Hawaii or FL.

fromxtor
06-04-2006, 05:20 AM
I just wanna go to either Japan, Guam, Hawaii or FL.

I with you brother, for now I'm in the desert.:duh:

fliprayzin240sx
06-04-2006, 05:32 AM
Haha shiet i didnt have zilvia access when i was out there...only thing that saved my sanity was we figured out a back way into Ebay. The was a good thing while I was there, bad thing when I got back cuz I ordered so much shiet for my car.

fromxtor
06-04-2006, 05:39 AM
lol yea I hear that, I'm actually getting alot of stuff I need off here from advertisers and members. :D I would so buy your car if anyone could take this damn B15 off my hands.

fliprayzin240sx
06-04-2006, 05:44 AM
lol yea I hear that, I'm actually getting alot of stuff I need off here from advertisers and members. :D I would so buy your car if anyone could take this damn B15 off my hands.

Haha shiet dont think anybody wants it so itll be here for awhile. But if i dont sell it before i go to Philippines on leave in Aug, ill prolly keep it. Only thing that i havent touched on the damn thing is the stock bottom end. Figured ill rebuild it with 9.0-1 pistons and fresh bearings and itll be good to go. Just gotta figure out how to get out of debt...

fromxtor
06-04-2006, 05:49 AM
Going to junkyards,pulling shit and selling it on ebay helped me get out of debt.

S13SilviaGirl
06-04-2006, 08:10 AM
Funny I just updated my dream sheet with Camp Zama on top of my overseas list. Anybody know anybody stationed in that bitch? Trying to get a SATCOM slot out there. It funny how AF got job slots in an army base. Orders are tricling down from AFPC, hopefully imma get something. My boy put in his dreamsheet a day before i did and he got orders for Ramstein last thursday. I got Hickam on my sheet too and theres actually 3 slots open for E-3s so ive been holding my breath. Japan wise, only slot open for my rank and job is Misawa. I just wanna go to either Japan, Guam, Hawaii or FL.

Zama is small, and out of the way. I have a friend on myspace that is an MP dog handler there. He hates it. says it sucks. They are like atsugi...small and have nothing. gotta drive to yokota or yokosuka to get anything you need. Guam is hot as shit all year...although, Anderson is a nice base...Not worth living in TJ for being in the pacific.

And you guys don't get to pick where you get orders to!?!?! Wth? Guess that is one nice thing about Navy...we get to pick where we want if they say no they are taken, we pick the next avail that we want to go to..or sweet talk the detailers into making up some orders..

PXRdriFT
06-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Whatever you do, dont act like you know wut your doing. Have an open mind and absorb things like a sponge. Biggest thing that some Jr officers seem to forget is that, just cuz you have rank on enlisted, you aint got seniority. YES, you will get treated like a door knob your first year. I remember when my current section commander just got there, our then commander "hand receipted" him to my NCOIC. That was funny when he was getting handed over like a piece of equipment.

I got a boy who was prior enlisted whos an officer now. HE AINT DOING SHIET, then again his job doesnt really do nothing since he works acquisition...
whoa there slim shady, i work. acquisiton folks work differently not less. :smash:

Air Force for almost 10 years, 6 enlisted and almost 4 commissioned.

PXRdriFT
06-04-2006, 12:40 PM
This might be off-topic...but I have a question for those in the military.

Say your an officer in the Air Force and you get stationed in Germany...are you allow to take your car with you?

in germany you can...japan puts a restriction on the cars going over there.

PXRdriFT
06-04-2006, 12:44 PM
Officers dont get BAS. What they dont have in BAS, they make up in pay and BAH.

all officers in the Air Force get BAS. can't speak for the other services. we don't get as much as the enlisted force.

ThatGuy
06-04-2006, 12:46 PM
http://www.semperfimarine.com/ega1.gifhttp://www.asti-usa.com/news/2003iitsec/navylogo.gif
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/reference/Heritage/daseal2.jpghttp://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/SealsEmblems/Image3436.gif
http://www.invsoa.homestead.com/files/air_force_emblem1-4.jpghttp://www.stitchalogo.com/media/Coast_Guard_Emblem.JPG

Thanks you to all my "Brothers and Sisters" in the Armed Forces. I am pleased that this Thread didn't turn into a "Branch Vs. Branch" argument. We all have pride in what we do, and we are all working for the same goal. God Bless America!
http://volusiagateway.us/smf/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/smileysaluting.gif

http://volusiagateway.us/smf/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/wav.gif

fromxtor
06-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks you to all my "Brothers and Sisters" in the Armed Forces. I am pleased that this Thread didn't turn into a "Branch Vs. Branch" argument. We all have pride in what we do, and we are all working for the same goal. God Bless America!
http://volusiagateway.us/smf/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/smileysaluting.gif
http://volusiagateway.us/smf/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/wav.gif

Amen to that Brother

In The Works
06-04-2006, 12:52 PM
MN2 stationed with EOD.....12 years next Feb...I love people that say there is too much on the outside to take orders from people....Kinda obvious they have never been on the outside.

S13SilviaGirl
06-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Barry, I am just glad you put them in the correct order! :keke: jkjkjk

kandyflip445
06-08-2006, 02:53 PM
My orders posted!!!!!!!! I'm going to San Diego for 30 days then to Norfolk then to Bath, Maine then to San Diego! Wow, that's a lot of moving.

S13SilviaGirl
06-08-2006, 03:25 PM
My orders posted!!!!!!!! I'm going to San Diego for 30 days then to Norfolk then to Bath, Maine then to San Diego! Wow, that's a lot of moving.
holy crap...love the moving part huh?

radhaz
06-08-2006, 04:24 PM

Kandyass, don't take a car that you value to Maine, in fact save up some cash before you get there and buy a beater. The roads are "asstastic" and are heavily salted in the winter plus with the "wicked" amount of snow they get you'll be a freaking snowplow in a lowered car. The other fun thing that they wont tell you until you get there is the base is about 15 miles from the shipyard and there is NO parking at the shipyard... if you want to know more pm me.

NismoSilvia270R
07-17-2006, 06:12 PM
pops is a SeaBee and im a whell vehicle mechanic 63B in the PA army guard.
active duty looks like alot of fun right now. kinda doing nothing..

cisco240
07-18-2006, 12:14 PM
US Army, E-5, HR (Human Resources/paypa pusha).
How many of you are the only person w/ a 240/Silvia at your base. I know I am over here:boink:

fromxtor
07-18-2006, 04:28 PM
^^ not the case at my base, theres 6-7 S13s and 3-4 S14s

goldfinger
10-04-2009, 10:37 PM
MARINE CORP this guy Beaufort SC MWSS 273 MT LVS driver

fliprayzin240sx
10-05-2009, 05:53 AM
Holy shit...this thread was from 3 yrs ago?!!? Wait...I've been in Okinawa Japan for almost 3 years!!!

Pblesh85
10-05-2009, 05:57 AM
yeah for an old thread...

Active duty Army here. 2.5 years and im an e5. 88m here, "If you cant truck it, Fuck it!"...

Soon to reclass to Pilot, warrant that is.

Pblesh85
10-05-2009, 05:59 AM
and im in afghanistan... again :sadwavey:

fliprayzin240sx
10-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Well, my ass will probably be in the desert again next summer...I'm up every year and a half. Fuck, that would suck...I dont wanna be in Iraq specially if we're pulling out supposedly by 2011, thats alot of fucking equipment to prep to bring back to CONUS and sort thru.

dahveed
11-12-2009, 05:50 PM
bringing this back from the dead lol. i'm gonna take my ASVAB next week, air force! i've got a ton of questions that i'd rather ask someone in the AF instead of a lying ass recruiter lol. so yeahhh, anyone in the AF thats willing to answer some q's? hah

dino6192
11-12-2009, 06:43 PM
bringing this back from the dead lol. i'm gonna take my ASVAB next week, air force! i've got a ton of questions that i'd rather ask someone in the AF instead of a lying ass recruiter lol. so yeahhh, anyone in the AF thats willing to answer some q's? hah
do I know you from somewhere?

ms!3
11-12-2009, 07:18 PM
3/11
usmc
lcpl

only been in this shit for a little over a year. boot!

dahveed
11-12-2009, 07:21 PM
do I know you from somewhere?
i wouldnt think so haha