PDA

View Full Version : How about a Japan forum?

Ghost Dancer
05-05-2006, 03:25 AM
Wasn't sure where to post this so I'll just throw it in here.

I noticed there was a USA and Canada forum but no Japan and I've noticed there's a number of users from here?

mrmephistopheles
05-05-2006, 03:36 AM
i'd never really considered it since there are only a handful of people here..

DJPimpFlex
05-05-2006, 03:53 AM
^ no one on zilvia likes japan. Jeez. That and japanese cars SERIOUSLY suck. Thats why I but nissans. Gotta love the french...jk.

S13SilviaGirl
05-05-2006, 06:51 AM
^^hahaha. yeah...isn't the car in your sig that canadian french car? :p hehe jk jk

s14slide
05-05-2006, 07:14 AM
ok, why we gotta be pickin on the Canadians? Actually, I thinks it's funny. We pick on the Norski that's deployed with us all the time!! And to add to the real topic, a Japan section wouldn't be to shabby. Maybe we could use it to post all the events, like when I have my friend translate all the event times/places from Option mags and such.

SilviaNinja240
05-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Not only are there a handful of us, but also everyone is sooo far apart from one another too. (if you are thinking about meets)

s14slide
05-05-2006, 08:00 AM
I'm actually thinking more in drift/grip track postings. I know of some that are almost private unless you know a couple people or can have someone translate the flyers at garages.

snatch13
05-05-2006, 04:26 PM
What do you guys (who live in Japan) do for a living?

I've wanted to go/live there since before I cared about cars. I'm gonna be an engineer, which I'm sure I could find some sort of work there.

Ghost Dancer
05-05-2006, 08:23 PM
"What do you guys (who live in Japan) do for a living?"

I'm a professional computer nerd. lol. I know some of the other people are deployed via the military. I know some Americans that work as engineers here. Apparently 1 year gigs are easy to come by in the field. But that's just what I've heard from them. I have no doubt they will try to extend their contracts too because one has a really nice S15 and the other a fast ass GTR.

As for the Japan forum I just thought it could be fun because we could be elitists assholes that talk about how we can buy Silvias for 500 bucks. lol.

Seriously though like someone mentioned above it would have it's uses for events and the like. Where are most of the Japan people located? I'm in Okayama prefecture but I get around alot.

SilviaNinja240
05-05-2006, 08:36 PM
<-- i'm a school teacher. Its alright. There's pluses and minuses, but its very difficult for a foreigner to have a professional career in Japan I think. However its good for a expedition however, spending a few years building your portfolio, etc..

S13SilviaGirl
05-06-2006, 05:33 AM
<~~~Parachute rigger for the Navy...only ten months left here! YAY! I like Japan, but damn, I can't wait to get back to the states. 3 Years is tooooooooo long to be out here. Good money though.

yokotas13
05-06-2006, 06:59 AM
"What do you guys (who live in Japan) do for a living?"

I'm a professional computer nerd. lol. I know some of the other people are deployed via the military. I know some Americans that work as engineers here. Apparently 1 year gigs are easy to come by in the field. But that's just what I've heard from them. I have no doubt they will try to extend their contracts too because one has a really nice S15 and the other a fast ass GTR.

As for the Japan forum I just thought it could be fun because we could be elitists assholes that talk about how we can buy Silvias for 500 bucks. lol.

Seriously though like someone mentioned above it would have it's uses for events and the like. Where are most of the Japan people located? I'm in Okayama prefecture but I get around alot.
i got a perfect one for free!!!

But i agree a japan forum would be great, coded for select people that are actually IN japan

and i work on c-130 turboprop engines for a living

snatch13
05-06-2006, 09:38 AM
we could be elitists assholes that talk about how we can buy Silvias for 500 bucks. lol.

ha yes you could! I plan on going sometime soon for a vacation, but I plan on trying to get a job where its an option for me to go there/travel a lot.

How's the cost of living in general compared to the US?

liv2drift045
05-06-2006, 05:19 PM
i think it'd be great... then i could finally catch up w/ some of the memebers in
Ayase...i got a few friend who work out that way but no-one who drives and my in-laws stay out there

Agamemnon
05-06-2006, 05:26 PM
and i work on c-130 turboprop engines for a living
Fucking rad!

S14zenkiQ's
05-06-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm a Navy Cop but hopefully I'll be a professional computer nerd soon enough. I've been here 3 years, love it... dont want to leave but I dont have a choice. I'm coming back to buy a Skyline Hakosuka though. A japan only forum would be nice. $500 for a silvia, what rip (LOL, J/K)I could have bought a R33 GTS-T yesterday for "whatever you got in your pocket" but I let another guy get it because he just sold his Aristo and needed a car. he paid $60 for it. the owner was junking it because the windshield had to be replaced and it needed 2 tires.

Ghost Dancer
05-06-2006, 07:31 PM
ha yes you could! I plan on going sometime soon for a vacation, but I plan on trying to get a job where its an option for me to go there/travel a lot.

How's the cost of living in general compared to the US?

Stay away from Osaka and Tokyo and it's great. It's funny, when I told some co-workers I was moving back to Japan they all seemed to know someone who lived there and they said it was SOOO expensive. Of course all this people were in Tokyo.

I like to think of Japan as three different countires... Tokyo, Osaka, and everywhere else. lol.

For example I live in Tsuyama-shi which is a small city in the Okayama prefecture about an hour and a half from Osaka and the same from Hiroshima. I have a nice, big apartment with a huge bathroom and I pay a little over 400 a month. In Osaka this would run 1500+.

Food is cheap too. You can eat out for pretty damn cheap. There's this nice restaurant my wife and I go to a few times a week called Gusto that has everything... steak, hamburgers, chicken, pizza, etc.. and it usually only runs us 20 bucks and we leave full as hell. If you like to go out and party, drink, and all that stuff it can get real expensive though.

All in all though my wife and I are spending less money here and making more.

S13SilviaGirl
05-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Gas is expensive(unless you get a job for the govt and they authorize you to use the station on base), food can be cheap, rent can be hellatious. First & Last plus another 2 months rent 'typically' given to the manager and owner of the building...and usually not re-imbursable. Not everyone requires it, but, a lot do...especially if you are a gaijin. Registering a car is a PIA, and retarted. Yearly road tax, JCI, and any other fees, plus the shakin(? basically inspection). It adds up. US military and people under a SOFA status get breaks on certain things, but, not a huge break.

BOOSTLOVER
05-06-2006, 08:12 PM
I'll be stopping by there on my way back from the Philippines for a weekend (June 8th-12th). I'm going to try to check out the 2006 All Japan Gymkhana Championship Round 4 on the 10th and 11th. If theres anything else that ya'll would recommend (food,events,hotels,or whatever) please let me know... Thanks!

O-yea, the Japan forum is a good call.

liv2drift045
05-06-2006, 08:20 PM
gusto is the hawtness lol... what about dq the japanese walmart haha

S13SilviaGirl
05-06-2006, 08:23 PM
boostlover, where in japan are you going to be? That would make it easier to tell you where to go or what is going on.

SilviaNinja240
05-06-2006, 08:29 PM
cost of living is all dependant on where you live, cost of living is insansely cheap in my case. However, there are drawbacks. I also HATE the Japanese DMV, military personel are lucky they don't have to go through getting a Japanese lisence (at least as far as I understand you don't have to). I can write a whole thread about the Japanese DMV, Americans are lucky to live in a country where anybody can get a lisence :)

BOOSTLOVER
05-06-2006, 08:57 PM
boostlover, where in japan are you going to be? That would make it easier to tell you where to go or what is going on.

My flight lands at the TOKYO/NARITA airport, I'll stay anywhere in Tokyo that's fun-interesting. For hotels just somethin nice (around $200 a night) and I guess it would be a plus if it would be close to the train system.

S13SilviaGirl
05-07-2006, 03:25 AM
I also HATE the Japanese DMV, military personel are lucky they don't have to go through getting a Japanese lisence (at least as far as I understand you don't have to). I can write a whole thread about the Japanese DMV, Americans are lucky to live in a country where anybody can get a lisence :)

Werd to their DMV...it sucks. and YES we do have to get a lic. but if we were licensed in the states prior, we are considered 'professional drivers' since *most* americans start driving at 16.:2f2f:

yokotas13
05-07-2006, 03:48 AM
My flight lands at the TOKYO/NARITA airport, I'll stay anywhere in Tokyo that's fun-interesting. For hotels just somethin nice (around $200 a night) and I guess it would be a plus if it would be close to the train system.
if your military ther is a hotel right by narita

s14slide
05-07-2006, 06:40 AM
so it seems to me that all these people in Japan are in favor of a "Japan only" section. So what do the mods think of it? Is it going to happen.

liv2drift045
05-07-2006, 03:16 PM
well there's only 10 or so of us who posted on this thread.... i doubt they will make a forum for 10 people only

S14zenkiQ's
05-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm all for it, but I dont really think there are enough of us.

preludervtec
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM
8ggalant, make that 11 or so of us. This is my first post here on Zilvia but ive been a long time viewer of this site. Im also currently living in Japan in Kaga-shi, Ishikawa-ken. Its definately in the boonies. Ive been here since June 2006 and am returning home in 2 weeks!!! Been working as a software engineer intern here.

For everyone whos currently living in japan, what did u guys do for Golden Week last week? I spent 3 days in Tokyo and 3 days in Kyoto.

mrmephistopheles
05-07-2006, 09:41 PM
8ggalant, make that 11 or so of us. This is my first post here on Zilvia but ive been a long time viewer of this site. Im also currently living in Japan in Kaga-shi, Ishikawa-ken. Its definately in the boonies. Ive been here since June 2006 and am returning home in 2 weeks!!! Been working as a software engineer intern here.

For everyone whos currently living in japan, what did u guys do for Golden Week last week? I spent 3 days in Tokyo and 3 days in Kyoto.

hahaha I didn't even want to deal with Golden Week traffic.
Yuck.

S14zenkiQ's
05-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm in the Navy, so I had to work, we dont get Japanese Holidays off (Not on the Kitty Hawk anyways)

Ghost Dancer
05-07-2006, 11:51 PM
I did bronchitis (spelling?) for Golden Week. Sucked.

My wife and I are going to make up for it and go to Hirohsima next weekend though. I'm looking forward to Kembys!

Since there isn't enough for a Japan forum, how about a Japan thread? lol.

preludervtec
05-08-2006, 12:48 AM
hahaha I didn't even want to deal with Golden Week traffic.
Yuck.

Yeah dealing with other vacationers during Golden Week wasnt very fun at all. Luckily i didnt have to deal with driving as i traveled by bus, subway, and shinkansen.

Also someone mentioned about a restaurant called Gusto. All i can say is that Gustos is the Sh*t!!! I went there for the first time a few days ago and the food is pretty good and very cheap.

Someone was also talking about the cost of living in japan. That highly depends on where you live obviously. I live out in the boonies so cost of living is significantly lower than it would be in Tokyo. I could easily get by with about $800/month that includes rent + food.

preludervtec
05-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Oh yeah, it would be really nice to have a Japan Forum but in the end all the posts would be about people asking members who live in Japan to find JDM parts for them. ne?

(LOL sorry just had to include alittle nihongo into my post :wiggle:)

Ghost Dancer
05-08-2006, 01:57 AM
Gusto is my favorite restaurant here. Joyful is pretty good and Sunday Sun is always worth a visit. lol.

I think my favorite thing about the "Western Style" restaurants in Japan is the damn drink bars. I inhale drinks when I go out to eat and the waiter/waitress can never keep up. Here I just mosey my arse over to the drink bar and refill it myself.

S14DB
05-08-2006, 02:09 AM
JDM Denny's SUCKS ASS! just had to get that out.

I'm sure we could have a Parts wanted sticky for the JDM whores and pimps.

yokotas13
05-08-2006, 04:23 AM
hehe yeah its a good money making scandal lol

SilviaNinja240
05-08-2006, 04:48 AM
I didn't go anywhere far for Golden week, heck even going around to local places were packed. Golden week = sleeping in (for me) :)

s14slide
05-08-2006, 06:02 AM
well since we're talking about "JDM" food, I have to say I love me some CoCo's chicken cutlet curry. Level 2 or 3 with cheese. Dayum, that's get's my tastebuds going just thinking about it. Soon enough my friends, I'll be home enjoying myself with all the goodness that home has to offer. Woot!!!

S13SilviaGirl
05-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Sukiya....beef bowl w/cheese. Mike's Mexican is the shit for japanese mexican food...uhmmm TGIF in the honch (Yoko) is pretty good, oh and any of the pasteries from the japanese pastery shops...mmmmm.

SilviaNinja240
05-08-2006, 06:24 AM
oh man, I haven't heard of any of thouse restorants over here (except for sukiya)
Do you guys have Skylark over where you guys are? Its the offical 'Initial D' diner :p Although, i'm not too big of a family diner fan. I perfer tryin new places as much as possible, if i'm in a baller mood.. yakiniku or okonomiyaki joints

TOMKAIRA93
05-08-2006, 06:34 AM
Hey all,
I live on okinawa and I love it here. Over 200 junk yards to roam around in this tiny island. I've been in japan for over 4 years and might be here for another 15 months, but not for sure. I'm in the military doing contracts with local company's and hope to get out next year and enjoy being a civilian again.

As far as a Japanese section, I don't think is worth it, since we can just post in the off topic section an all Japan members roll call and go from there. Too many people wanting JDM parts...we all would get flooded with emails about I want this and that...trust me, I know cause I've been there...and after you tell them alright it's this much, they'll be like: well, my mom didn't give me money, blah, blah, blah...let's keep Zilvia as is. my 2 cents! [:-)]

well since we're talking about "JDM" food, I have to say I love me some CoCo's chicken cutlet curry. Level 2 or 3 with cheese. Dayum, that's get's my tastebuds going just thinking about it. Soon enough my friends, I'll be home enjoying myself with all the goodness that home has to offer. Woot!!!

My wife and I go eat coco's from time to time...I love their bread, it's awesome. I was surprised last year in Hawaii when I say coco's at the mall, I couldn't beleive it...then again...HI is japan's #1 vacation spot.

S13SilviaGirl
05-08-2006, 07:02 AM
yeah we have a skylarks. Never had Yakiniku. Had Gyoza house..mmmmm. :P

and Tomkaira93...I agree...too many people wanting parts and PM'ing as soon as they know that your in japan.

preludervtec
05-08-2006, 07:26 AM
and Tomkaira93...I agree...too many people wanting parts and PM'ing as soon as they know that your in japan.

how can you agree with him when it was my idea damnit!! :fawkd: hahahah jk

Since were talking about food, we dont have any of the places you guys mentioned. We do however have yakiniku if your in the baller mood. Me and 3 other of my friends once racked up a $300 bill just on yakiniku and beer. Damnit, Japan needs to hurry up and start importing US beef again. These prices are killin me!!!!

Actually wait, we do have a CoCo curry house nearby. I had the Beef Katsu Curry with a #8 spicey level. It wasn't too bad. I probably could of taken a #10 but didnt feel like sitting on the toilet for an hour the next day :keke:

Mike's Mexican is the shit for japanese mexican food...
Sh*t...i didnt know japanese people eat mexican food? let alone there be mexican joints in japan :confused:

Ghost Dancer
05-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Has anyone eaten at an El Torito? Did it suck?

TOMKAIRA93
05-08-2006, 11:33 AM
how can you agree with him when it was my idea damnit!! hahahah jk
:loco: :keke:

It wasn't your idea. LOL j/k

s14slide
05-08-2006, 12:53 PM
it's kind of hypocritical to say you are worried about people emailing the crap out of you for parts as soon as they know your in Japan when we pretty much all have a Japanese place for a location every time we make a post. And from what I see, none of ya'll seemed concerened about it before now, or you would have never mentioned that you were in Japan when you setup your profile.

S14DB
05-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Just make a parts request sticky and have all the requests and offers to fufill in that thread alone. Any others will be locked.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/Japan/sukiya.jpg
yum

S14zenkiQ's
05-08-2006, 09:19 PM
S14DB are you stationed in Atsugi? thats looks like rt 40

S14DB
05-08-2006, 09:30 PM
S14DB are you stationed in Atsugi? thats looks like rt 40
No, only visited.

Powervehicles.com
05-08-2006, 09:35 PM
Hi guys this is my first post but i see here as good as any so here goes....

Im a Modified Car exporter with a garage Linked beside Kazama Auto just north of Tokyo. Do a lot of Drifting so if there was a forum for Japan id happily keep everyone updated with what were getting up too. Like Sunday we went to Big X with a load of you Crazy Service Guys form Yokota.....

Anyway need some advice. You guys say you get harrassed for car parts but what about complete cars? Is there a market in the states? Now i know theres all sort of problems registering cars there (near impossible right) but many of my cars are Competition standard Drift and Drag cars etc. Would people be able to import for "race use only"?

Powervehicles.com
05-08-2006, 09:37 PM
oh and btw Cocos rocks :) (Never tried the cocos curry house though as im not a fan of "cully-lice")

TOMKAIRA93
05-08-2006, 10:00 PM
it's kind of hypocritical to say you are worried about people emailing the crap out of you for parts as soon as they know your in Japan when we pretty much all have a Japanese place for a location every time we make a post. And from what I see, none of ya'll seemed concerened about it before now, or you would have never mentioned that you were in Japan when you setup your profile.

I've done that already...parts request sticky in different nissan sites and toyota. That's why I said, it wouldn't be worth my time since 80% of those requesting stuff always back out. The best thing is to just post what you have and if someone wants to buy it at the price your asking, then you're set.
As far as people looking at your profile...well, there's some people that states they live in japan, but they don't. Also, I think that people that are real serious about buying would go into the profile to see if you're from Japan. Not the jobless people that depend on their parents. [:-)]

S14DB
05-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Pre-pay FTW1!!

mrmephistopheles
05-08-2006, 10:53 PM
No, only visited.

Yeah, don't credit me with the photo or anything.
That is Rt 40.

yokotas13
05-08-2006, 11:10 PM
bwahahah lol thats funnay

Ghost Dancer
05-08-2006, 11:49 PM
I've done that already...parts request sticky in different nissan sites and toyota. That's why I said, it wouldn't be worth my time since 80% of those requesting stuff always back out. The best thing is to just post what you have and if someone wants to buy it at the price your asking, then you're set.
As far as people looking at your profile...well, there's some people that states they live in japan, but they don't. Also, I think that people that are real serious about buying would go into the profile to see if you're from Japan. Not the jobless people that depend on their parents. [:-)]

You're absolutely on the money about just posting stuff you have. I had a load of stuff to get rid off, posted up and it was all gone within a few hours.

Ghost Dancer
05-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Hi guys this is my first post but i see here as good as any so here goes....

Im a Modified Car exporter with a garage Linked beside Kazama Auto just north of Tokyo. Do a lot of Drifting so if there was a forum for Japan id happily keep everyone updated with what were getting up too. Like Sunday we went to Big X with a load of you Crazy Service Guys form Yokota.....

Anyway need some advice. You guys say you get harrassed for car parts but what about complete cars? Is there a market in the states? Now i know theres all sort of problems registering cars there (near impossible right) but many of my cars are Competition standard Drift and Drag cars etc. Would people be able to import for "race use only"?

You can import for race/show use but if I recall correctly they will only be allowed in for one year upon which they have to be exported out of the country. Without going through the lengthy and expensive process of federalization you would have to send them over as "parts" and register them as kit cars and that's a pretty shady venture. I would just stick with the UK. The US is just a big PITA.

Powervehicles.com
05-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Yeah thats pretty much what i heard before.... Oh bugger. Its a joke that you cant import the car as a race/competition car... That Sux Big Time!

S14zenkiQ's
05-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Yeah, don't credit me with the photo or anything.
That is Rt 40.
^^ LOL
S14DB-Where are you in Japan? if you are here.

mrmephistopheles
05-09-2006, 08:39 PM
^^ LOL

Dude, he's in Florida!
He's saying he came out to JAPAN to visit... I took that pic. It's the sukiya right by my base. You can see my old wagon on the left hand side of the pic.

S14DB
05-09-2006, 09:56 PM
^^ LOL
So, where do you get the good Saki? :loco:

S14zenkiQ's
05-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Oh my bad.

Hey Kevin do you know a guy that Drives a Red S14 with a Black Kit and Mismatched Rims? His Car had sagami plates for a while, now it has yokohama plates. just wondering if you knew him

mrmephistopheles
05-10-2006, 06:20 PM
can't say that I do..

S14DB
05-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Anyone know this guy?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/Japan/DriftDamage.jpg

mrmephistopheles
05-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Anyone know this guy?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/Japan/DriftDamage.jpg

That car is finally running around the base again.
The previous owner sold it for like $1-2k... :rant:
GRRrrRRrRR

S14DB
05-10-2006, 10:11 PM
That car is finally running around the base again.
The previous owner sold it for like $1-2k... :rant:
GRRrrRRrRR
Told you we should have striped it for parts.

S14zenkiQ's
05-11-2006, 12:58 AM
WTF did he do to it?

S14DB
05-11-2006, 04:29 AM
The way it pealed back the fender we think he hit a pole.

iwishiwas-all*
05-11-2006, 04:31 AM
welll im gonna be taking a vacation to japan, durring july before i head to college, but obviously I see that you guys dont recommend I go to Osaka or Tokyo, were should a car enthusiast go to have a good time? I too wish I can live there, I am thinking about signing up to have a simester of studies over in japan as apart of college, and mabe be able to have one of those "1 year" contracts for a engineering firm or a car company,
but yea any good suggestions, hit it up.

S14DB
05-11-2006, 04:41 AM
What's wrong with Tokyo?

yokotas13
05-11-2006, 04:44 AM
not a damn thing
they have the nissan history museum, WRC simulator and bad ass arcades

S14DB
05-11-2006, 04:46 AM
not a damn thing
they have the nissan history museum, WRC simulator and bad ass arcades
Where is the history museum? I only went to the Gallery.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/Japan/NissanGallery.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v108/S14DB/Japan/NissanShowroom.jpg

preludervtec
05-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Theres also a Toyota Museum/Gallery in Odaiba (near Tokyo)

Omarius Maximus
05-12-2006, 01:20 AM
You can go to Tokyo, just stay at a Hostel or something. The more you research and plan, the less you'll have to spend when vacationing. I am planning on going soon myself just for sight seeing and perhaps bringing back a japanese girl or two with me, but I wanna go with friends so I'm waiting till they get their money up.

TOMKAIRA93
05-12-2006, 07:11 AM
welll im gonna be taking a vacation to japan, durring july before i head to college, but obviously I see that you guys dont recommend I go to Osaka or Tokyo, were should a car enthusiast go to have a good time? I too wish I can live there, I am thinking about signing up to have a simester of studies over in japan as apart of college, and mabe be able to have one of those "1 year" contracts for a engineering firm or a car company,
but yea any good suggestions, hit it up.

Take a trip to Okinawa man, lots of junk yards and drifting on the weekends. you'll have fun for sure...you'll get lost in Tokyo...Oki is a lot smaller and tourist friendly with a lot more americans to ask questions. Good luck!

yokotas13
05-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Where The Fuck Is Our Japan Forum

S13SilviaGirl
05-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Where The Fuck Is Our Japan Forum
Admin decided to not have one at this time....