PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain this?

xka24detx
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/55826/who_can_explain_this/
:confused:

exitspeed
05-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Has something to do with megnetic fields or it's a hoax (believe non of what you hear and only half of what you see). I can't explain further then that though.

Pretty cool if it's real.

CaoBoY
05-01-2006, 11:31 AM
from the very website that video is hosted itself :
# Super conductivity [ +10 interesting ]
This is an excellent demo of super conductivity. The liquid is liquid nitrogen. The disk is a magnet. The black block is the super conducting (SC) material (but becomes SC only below its critical temperature, somewhat higher than liquid nitrogen).

When warm, the block has no particular magnetic / electric properties. When cooled, it becomes a SC. One of the properties of a SC is that magnetic fields can be pinned in place in the SC.

A moving magnetic field generates eddie currents within conductors, and can be felt as a resistance to relative motion. In most materials, this current quickly decays due to electrical resistance. In SC, eddie currents do not decay, but instead will tend to hold the magnetic field in place.
by ‎brettcgb , 27th December
reply / moderate 119293

* ‎ You can SIMILAR things at home [ +6 interesting ]
Buy one of those round or spherical supermagnets (they are cheap, but NOT A TOY) online. Get a THICK copper tube. The thicker the wall, the better. Drop the magnet down the tube. Notice 2 things: It takes longer than it "should" for the magnet to fall out the other side. The magnet never touches the side.

You can get a little levitation on just a copper block (haven't tried it yet) and a super magnet. I bought a bunch because they are so useful in the STEEL garage I have, as well as fun. They are nickel PLATED ceramic and brittle. You let 2 big ones slam together and you have instant shrapnel moving at VERY high speeds.
Even with a block of ROOM temperature copper you will notice the effect. As the magnet approaches, it creates micro-currents that act as a opposing (same pole) electromagnet which will make the magnet feel as if it is in quicksand if you try to scoot it around the surface, roll it off by tilting or even settle down slowly if dropped on the copper.
by ‎Paladin_Z06 Desktop User , 14th February
reply / moderate 157315

exitspeed
05-01-2006, 11:46 AM
from the very website that video is hosted itself :

Soo cool. I wonder if something like this could make a car hover if the ground was a SC?

NemeGuero
05-01-2006, 01:27 PM
You'd need a HUGE B field.

lucky7
05-01-2006, 01:27 PM
only if your car is a magnet.

exitspeed
05-01-2006, 01:42 PM
only if your car is a magnet.

The bottom could be, right?

lucky7
05-01-2006, 03:06 PM
fuck if i know, i never made it through chemistry. lol.

i think you would need a magnet itself. the metal underside of your car, im sure is what you are refering to. thats just a regular ass conductor. my understanding is that your car would have to actually be a big ass gynormous magnet. not to mention an enormous SC (super conductor), IE, that black thing in the video. with a friggin swimming pool full of liquid nitrogen. and that my friend, sounds downright dangerous.

exitspeed
05-01-2006, 03:25 PM
with a friggin swimming pool full of liquid nitrogen. and that my friend, sounds downright dangerous.

Sounds like a blast to me:loco: Or a cool new sport!

Lucivar619
05-01-2006, 03:57 PM
The superconductor, I understand. Explain this one. :confused: :confused:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/34020/levitation/

SimpleSexy180
05-01-2006, 04:18 PM
^ that is awesome i wouldnt mind learning how to do that.

exitspeed
05-01-2006, 04:44 PM
The superconductor, I understand. Explain this one. :confused: :confused:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/34020/levitation/

A crane off camera and a bunch of actors.

NemeGuero
05-01-2006, 04:51 PM
http://www.filecabi.net/video/criss-angel-exposed.html

If you really wanna know.. otherwise, don't click it.
It's not a crane.

mjjstang
05-01-2006, 06:42 PM
taht explains the first part in the building but what about the ones wehre you can see all around him where there is obviuosly no trickwork involved with the third leg. assuming it is the crane theory here.

ThatGuy
05-01-2006, 06:45 PM
There is always trick work. He steps up onto the ledges, either in front of him or behind him. The camera only shows you from the angle where you can't see the "trick leg".

theicecreamdan
05-01-2006, 11:17 PM
fuck if i know, i never made it through chemistry. lol.

did you even make it to physics then? the science that would deal more with conductors and magneticism.

koukidough
05-01-2006, 11:51 PM
that is amazing