PDA

View Full Version : For those with out of state registration

ALTRNTV
04-22-2006, 09:34 PM
I recently visited my dad, who lives in Colorado. I found out that where he lives, smog checks aren't required. I was thinking of registering my coupe in Colorado, so law enforcement in Cali can't really do anything to me if I do get pulled over for emissions/turbo related things. My question is would I need a CO drivers license to register it there, or is my CA license sufficient? Also, what's the steps on registering it there.

West, I know you live out in CO, care to give me some help? As well as other people who can help.

Thanks.

Yuri
04-22-2006, 10:39 PM
If you get pulled over CA license and your name on an out of state registration, let's just say trouble for you. To make it all work, you need to be a resident of the state your car is registered in.

S13SilviaGirl
04-23-2006, 02:49 AM
look up DMV for cali, I can't remember the amount of time you have but there are restrictions if you are living/working in CA on the amount of time that you have to register your car and your lic in the state. Like Yuri said, you get caught with the 2, especially if it is a recent reg in CO and your gonna be in trouble. The only acception to out of state cars in CA is military.

s14xman
04-23-2006, 02:52 AM
i filled out this form not to long ago, voiding me from Cali smog checks, keeping the car registered in Cali, while stationed at WA. was very easy just mailed it

SilviaNinja240
04-23-2006, 03:07 AM
I'm thinking it would be alright, so long as Academik registers the car in CO, and uses his dad's address when registering with the DMV, and then also change your DL to a CO lisence.
Nobody has to know you work/live in CA, if you get pulled over just say you're visiting relatives or something.

s14xman
04-23-2006, 03:14 AM
i couldn't find anything on the CA DMV webpage, but yea like i agree with "silviaNinja240"

Andrew Bohan
04-23-2006, 03:55 AM
Commercial vehicles and any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered immediately upon entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Residents of other states may operate their vehicles with current registration in their names from their residence state for up to six months or until they:

* Accept gainful employment in California or become a California resident.
* Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
* Rent or lease a residence in California.
* Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).
* Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (e.g., acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote, etc.).

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties.

when i moved here i had my washington plates on my truck for almost a year. then i sold it. never registered it in ca

ALTRNTV
04-23-2006, 03:12 PM
So no one has a definite answer? I guess I'll go call the DMV tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

I can always get a CO license, and use my dad's address there.

S13SilviaGirl
04-23-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm thinking it would be alright, so long as Academik registers the car in CO, and uses his dad's address when registering with the DMV, and then also change your DL to a CO lisence.
Nobody has to know you work/live in CA, if you get pulled over just say you're visiting relatives or something.

yeah, if he dosn't work or go to school...and sits on his ass all day. When your employer/school sends their paperwork in for taxes the govt knows where you are making your living at.

ALTRNTV
04-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Damn. I do go to school here, lol.

theicecreamdan
04-23-2006, 08:40 PM

the trouble occurs when cops in your area recognize you.

I made it a pretty long time driving my camaro with Idaho plates when I was in high school, car was registered in my dad's name, eventually got a speeding ticket and when the cop saw I lived in CA and car was Idaho he gave me a ticket for that, judge dismissed that one because i wasn't 18 so the car couldnt be regged in my name anyways.

Tenchuu
04-23-2006, 09:05 PM
as long as leagally the car and driver is liscensed and registered in the other state you should be good. i know calis rapes out of state students on tuition, so i guess you can say that cali doesn't recognise me as a resident for school, so i don't recognise them as my state. maby? i don't know
I am all leagal Oregonian

Ritz S14
04-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Definate answer:

You can not drive a vehicle in CA with out-of-state plates for more than 10 days. If CHP sites you, you'll be cited.

Tenchuu-

If you're a student from OOS, you HAVE to register your car here.

ALTRNTV
04-23-2006, 09:17 PM
10 days? What if you're visiting from another state? lol

Ritz S14
04-23-2006, 09:19 PM
I believe you have to notify the DMV.

Tenchuu
04-23-2006, 09:31 PM
I would chech your own out of state residency laws, if your state says that you can go to school/work out of state and still be a resident, then cali has to :nono: on ass rapeing you with thier rules, it all depends on how mutch you know about your own laws. technically i don't even have to pay sales tax in cali as an origonian in cali. alot of norcal buisnesses know that but socal ones don't.

it's all about whay you know and can prove. look up the laws if in doubt. the police are always going to assume you are dumb and don't know the laws that govern you. prove them wrong and have copies of the laws pertaining to you with your registration. but expect alos tof BS stuff if you go that route too.