PDA

View Full Version : People who work in autoparts stores

s13coupedude
04-15-2006, 04:51 PM
What is wrong with you? I just got my 240 from sitting over the winter. Havn't even really had a chance to drive it since I bought it last year. I decided to go buy some plugs,wire,cap and rotor.You know just a cheap tune up. So I happened to be in Madison(45minute drive) and picked up plugs,cap and rotor up from a Checkers there. None of that stuff you get yourself you have to have the man working get it all for you. So today I go to put on my cap and rotor and what do you know, neither of them fit The rotor isn't even close and the cap looks identicle but the screw hole is 1/4 off. And well since there isn't a checkers any closer i'm forced to drive 45 minutes for a cap and rotor.:mephfawk: :mephfawk: :mephfawk:

Ps. The plugs were right.:bigok: :bigok:

sunnys14
04-15-2006, 06:39 PM
older SOHC engines had to different types of cap and rotor. dont dog on ppl that work at auto parts stores :) goOo pepboys!

kazuo
04-15-2006, 08:38 PM
+1.

There's two different kinds of distributors for SOHC as SunnyS14 pointed out... so the fault is twofold here.

1) the guy at the counter for not asking which distributor you have. (the computer should tell him theres two different ones)

2) you, for not knowing which one you had, and for not telling him.

s13coupedude
04-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Lol I told him 93 nissan 240sx. Which im pretty sure there is only one kind of distributer for a DOHC KA.

breakindrifts
04-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Next time dont put your faith in the dumbasses at the parts counter. Unless you come to Pepboys store #808 and ask for the guy with the S13 (me), bring an old part to compare with.

WilloW
04-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Not all the parts counter are dumbasses, just most of them are.

ranisron
04-16-2006, 12:28 AM
or bring your old parts to the parts store ---> safest solution.

04-16-2006, 12:38 AM
talkin to the wrong guy...

:-D

will get you the best prices too ;)

(shamless plug)

sunnys14
04-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Next time dont put your faith in the dumbasses at the parts counter. Unless you come to Pepboys store #808 and ask for the guy with the S13 (me), bring an old part to compare with.

come to me! im at Pepboys store #719 and ask for the guy with the s14 (me :))

Tenchuu
04-16-2006, 01:38 AM
bring parts snumbers to the parts store. that is the best way i found out. since NAPA and carquest had the wront temp senders listed for a S14. only autozone had it right...... after mutch searching around.

s13coupedude
04-16-2006, 05:10 PM

Heh I suppose if i'm going on a 45 minute drive I may as well just turn it into a 2 day trip.:o

lilredstiffy
04-16-2006, 05:20 PM
I got kicked out of an advance auto parts the other week when I was trying to buy a 6 heat range plug instead of the 5. I asked her to just look for a box that said 6 in place of the 5, she came back with some completely different plug that still had 5. I asked her if I could come look for it since it was right behind the counter and she said no followed by 'I don't have all day to look through the spark plugs for the ones you are looking for.' I replied smiling "How is it different than looking for the one the computer says? You are looking through all of the ones right there anyway..." then she went nuts.

Was a real Anger Management situation so it was kind of funny but man. Lots of auto parts store employees are zombies.

95Blue240sx
04-16-2006, 05:28 PM
I work at an auto store, and we get Kragens/pep boys calling us up asking US to look up parts. Yes we are that good.

Winchester Auto FTW!

FRpilot
04-16-2006, 07:23 PM
yes winchestor auto and BJ for the win.. too bad i dont live that close to it anymore... it was there that i discovered the sohc ka has mitsubishi and hatachi distributor.. had to come back to exchange it because i got the wrong one but not problems from them

kurissuS13
04-17-2006, 02:02 AM
or bring your old parts to the parts store ---> safest solution.

+1, FTW! always bring ur old part, it'll eliminate a lot of hassle and trouble.

i've worked at an auto parts store for 10+ yrs, and i'm only 22. it's a family-run business, for those that are curious. anyway, i've dealt with wrong parts on many occasions, and there are 3 possible situations as to why anyone would ever get a wrong part...

-miscommunication, as in wrong information is given to the counterperson, which will lead to wrong parts 90% of the time
-wrong box, happens every once in a while, cuz some guy on the assembly line was daydreaming while putting ur part together
-counterperson is wrong, happens when we either don't kno or don't care, especially when the customer is being a big douche bag!

for the most part, it's usually miscommunication that gets wrong parts. i really hate those ppl that say they have a newer model, but it turns out that the car is an older model that uses a completely different design.

just like everyone else already said, at most of the large retail chains, they hire anyone that can work retail and a computer, and willing to work for cheap. sometimes, they actually know something about cars.

sorry if i'm ranting, just venting years of customer stupidity.

SochBAT
04-17-2006, 02:10 AM
I used to work for an autoparts distributor in the Walnut Area, called Walnut Auto.

Delivered to CTune, local shops on Valley, Colima, and the lot. We get the parts right a vast majority of the time, the only time we don't is when they don't specify if its a special model, etc etc.

And a few mechanics are idiots and like to yell at people for that. So i delivered to them last, make em wait longer. Damn yutzies.

Daniel.
04-17-2006, 02:17 AM
I work at an auto store, and we get Kragens/pep boys calling us up asking US to look up parts. Yes we are that good.

Winchester Auto FTW!

I think i remember seeing your s14 there when i got my flywheel there 2 years ago lol. You've been there a long time man.

sncs14
04-17-2006, 08:52 AM
I always check evrything out before I leave the parts store so I don't have to make a second trip out there.

MELLO*SOS
04-17-2006, 08:59 AM
The guys at my local autozone are pretty useful, but that doesn't mean they haven't given me the the wrong radiator hoses or belts before. Luckily it's less than 5 minutes away from my house? :)

95Blue240sx
04-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Yes I have been there a while, sad i know. I am looking for a new job.

kurissuS13 is right at what he is saying. I controll the prices and your parts. If you are a dick ill be a dick and give you the wrong part on purpose. The people I hate helping most are muscle car guys. They come in saying i need a cap and rotor for my 350. I just stare at them and then say ok what year. Common response, "doesnt matter they're all the same!" So i say ok 96 chevy pickup with a 350 cap and rotor coming up. I hate to read peoples mind. Just come and tell me specifically what year, make and model. No need to be a dick. The nicer you are the better service you will get. That goes the same at every other place in the world.

s14s Also have 2 different caps and rotors. Zenkis are different from koukis. Just an FYI. Im probably the only guy at my work that knows that. I also mark the boxes for them so i dont forget.

Please also keep in mind we are all human. We DO make mistakes.

S13SilviaGirl
04-18-2006, 01:25 AM
Most ppl that work parts counters are relying on the computer and the info that you give them...few will be educated about cars to the point that a mechanic is...like mentioned earlier, bring in an old part to compare.

s13coupedude
04-18-2006, 02:37 AM
I know it probably wasn't the guys fault. Just venting a little. I don't have an old distributer cap lying around, the only reason I bought it from this place is because I was trying to kill some time while I got my components installed.

kazuo
04-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Most ppl that work parts counters are relying on the computer and the info that you give them...few will be educated about cars to the point that a mechanic is...like mentioned earlier, bring in an old part to compare.

You're generalizing far too much. A lot of guys behind the parts counter know their shit, the problem is that manufacturers use several different kinds of the same part for the same car, and if the part isnt in front of the parts tech, he has no way of determining which one to give you without getting the correct answers from you.

And if you don't know the answers... then he's basically guessing.

Of course there are PLENTY of idiots behind the parts counter, but the blame is generally on both parties, not just the parts tech.

projekt_s13
04-19-2006, 01:43 AM
The people I hate helping most are muscle car guys. They come in saying i need a cap and rotor for my 350. I just stare at them and then say ok what year. Common response, "doesnt matter they're all the same!" So i say ok 96 chevy pickup with a 350 cap and rotor coming up. I hate to read peoples mind. Just come and tell me specifically what year, make and model. No need to be a dick. The nicer you are the better service you will get.

Yup I always get that. Hate it that they want you to read their mind or something.

S13SilviaGirl
04-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Art...just going off my experience when I worked at Goodyear and dealing with *most* of the parts counter guys...then, I worked for PepBoys (haha) for a while...and yeah, they have no requirments for parts counter boys.

ManoNegra
04-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Don't most auto-store employess get paid peanuts, are overworked and deal with bad attitudes all day long?
That combined with the demands of the job is why I'm not surprised stuff like that happens if not often then occasionally. I try to be as thoruogh as possible when buying parts.
My hat's off to those Zilvians that are brave enough to do this for a living.

redsuns3838
04-24-2006, 09:24 PM
most are ppl who dont know anything about cars. so basically i just assume its up to me to do the research before hand so i get the right product.
i dotn rely on them.

95Blue240sx
04-25-2006, 10:39 AM
My place is pretty fun to work at. Tons of people work there and we basically fuck around the whole day, when its not busy. The boss is pretty laid back, and the counter guys make peanuts =( i just found out ive been getting paid $4 less then the delivery guys WTF!??! But im going to be moving on soon.

We have narrow isles where we keep all out parts. Basically high steel shelves. One time I put clear packing tape about shin high and watched as one of the other guys walked into and fell over. Funniest shit ive ever seen. HAHA