PDA

View Full Version : do things the way i want or cut corners?

OJmobileII
04-13-2006, 09:06 AM
i jus want some feedback even though it is not completely zilvia related...

i blew a rocker arm on my SR20 at the end of last summer. i'm having the head rebuilt (among other things) and the car wont be ready until July (long story, it jus wont be runnin until then).

i'm selling my other coupe because I need the money and it is sitting in my Uncle's garage. i've also kind of lost interest in it... flame if u must but i've owned my 91 coupe since i was 16 (almost 21 now) and the 92 coupe was an impulse buy b/c it was so clean. at this time i don't feel like doing another s13 coupe buildup whether it be ka, sr, rb, ca, v8, etc. jus not interested.

right now i'm on campus at the University of Illinois in Champaign. i go home again in May and i need to get to work.

I recently acquired an FC shell and I was hoping to do an LS1 swap in the future. right now i can't afford the ls1, but i can afford an lt1. both r great motors, but for the sake of a hybrid swap... the ls1 is nice b/c of its weight and that is one of the main reasons why i would prefer it (please, please dont turn this into a fc vs 240 or rotary vs v8 argument).

here r my options:
1. put in a jdm 13bt w/ no rebuild so who knows the condition? hopefully it lasts for a lil bit and then do an ls1 swap? (i've heard nothing but negative feedback from those who bought jdm rotaries and didnt do a rebuild right away)
2. swap in an lt1 instead of wut i really want. maybe i will regret it, but maybe i wont?
3. buy a daily driver and save for another month or two for the ls1? a friend of the family is getting rid of a '94 honda civic 4 door based. a/c works, body is banged up but not real rusty, 5sp, no carpet, needs brakes, etc. he will sell it for real cheap. i was thinking of buying this car and then selling it when i have no use for it.
4. i could hold onto the 92 coupe until June, but i already have a few people interested and i would rather sell it now (who knows wut will happen in the future? i dont wanna b daily driving it and get t-boned). i figured selling it now would give it a better home instead of after 3f3f when people will butcher it.

any feedback is greatly appreciated...

sncs14
04-13-2006, 10:31 AM
if you can hold out until you can afford the ls1 swap. by all means don't spend the money on something that is good enough ,but in the end isn't really what you want.
as far as selling the 92' coupe goes, dd or sell and buy a cheaper dd. i'd just keep the coupe until the 91' is done.

*EDIT- read the for sale. just dd the coupe.

Irukandji
04-13-2006, 04:35 PM
I'd say just wait until you have all the appropriate funds.

You gotta pay to play, but if you cut enough corners.. You'll find yourself going in circles...

Phlip
04-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Save up the money and do it the way you want, do it the right way.

Imagine cutting corners now, getting it together, breaking shit and THEN having to do it the right way, all brand new again. Don't get caught up.

NemeGuero
04-13-2006, 06:36 PM
I didn't read the post, 'cuz I'm lazy..

BUT DO NOT CUT CORNERS!! You'll pay for it in the end.

Do it right, or do it twice.

S13FREEAAK
04-13-2006, 10:49 PM
do it the way you want, otherwise you'll never be happy with the car.

OJmobileII
04-14-2006, 11:43 AM
thanks for all of ur input. i have decided to hold out for an ls1. but i still need to get around. tossing it up if i should:
a) daily drive my stock coupe, instead of selling it
b) buy that really really cheap civic and sell it later
c) get rides and borrow a car if need be for like a lil bit