PDA

View Full Version : Cop that shot himself during a safety video sues gov.

S14DB
04-11-2006, 09:54 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0411061foot1.html
APRIL 11--A Drug Enforcement Administration agent who stars in a popular online video that shows him shooting himself in the foot during a weapons demonstration for Florida children is suing over the tape's release, claiming that his career has been crippled and he's become a laughingstock due to the embarrassing clip's distribution. Lee Paige, 45, blames the video's release on DEA officials in an April 7 federal lawsuit filed against the U.S. government. A copy of the pro se complaint by Paige, a DEA agent since 1990, can be found below. According to the lawsuit, Paige was making a "drug education presentation" in April 2004 to a Florida youth group when his firearm (a Glock .40) accidentally discharged. The shooting occurred moments after Paige told the children that he was the only person in the room professional enough to carry the weapon. The accident was filmed by an audience member, and the tape, Paige claims, was turned over to the DEA. The drug agency subsequently "improperly, illegally, willfully and/or intentionally" allowed the tape to be disseminated. As a result, Paige--pictured above in a still from the video--has been the "target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments" directed at him in restaurants, grocery stores, and airports. Paige, who writes that he was "once regarded as one of the best undercover agents, if not the best, in the DEA," points to the clip's recent airing on popular television shows and via the Internet as the reason he can no longer work undercover. He also notes that he is no longer "permitted or able to give educational motivational speeches and presentations." (5 pages)

ranisron
04-11-2006, 11:18 PM
yeah, that guy (not ThatGuy of course) was funny as hell in the video.

do you guys believe that the injured person (himself) was trying to make a buck out of his own mistake? Or, is this incident really making his "career" goes under?

Or is this a setup ?

Ghettokracker71
04-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Haha idiot shot himself. Wow.

theicecreamdan
04-12-2006, 12:24 AM
I think he should get over it. Being laughed at does not end your career,

SochBAT
04-12-2006, 12:44 AM
He reminds me of Phlipshead.

Too bad I don't have audio.

sncs14
04-12-2006, 06:29 AM
what a jackass. they should have punished him for having a loaded gun in the class room in the first place.

swwifty
04-12-2006, 09:35 AM
This guy should be punished for improper firearms handling. Obviously, he doesn't know the four most important firearms safety rules.

1. Always keep the muzzle of a firearm pointed in a direction you are willing to destroy.

2. Always treat a gun as if it was loaded.

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you have your target in sight.

4. Keep your %#[email protected] finger off the trigger!

He's lucky noone got hurt but himself, and his only punishment has been humiliation.

REDSH!FT
04-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Er...maybe add to the list..."Keep the safety on in a room full of children when there is neither a terrorist or Michael Jackson also in the room"

Ritz S14
04-12-2006, 10:17 AM
Man... Reminds me of Brandon lee and the movie "The Crow". Luckily, he didn't point it at his chest or his head.

swwifty
04-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Er...maybe add to the list..."Keep the safety on in a room full of children when there is neither a terrorist or Michael Jackson also in the room"

Glocks don't have a external safety.

Either way, never rely on a physical safety to prevent accidents.

My finger is my safety.

S14DB
04-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Glocks don't have a external safety.

Either way, never rely on a physical safety to prevent accidents.

My finger is my safety.
Glock has 3 safeties.
http://www.glock.com/_safe_action_.htm

I also assume it's a Glock 22 which is .40cal

swwifty
04-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Glock has 3 safeties.
http://www.glock.com/_safe_action_.htm

I also assume it's a Glock 22 which is .40cal

Yeah, I know they have 3 safeties.

I said they don't have a "external" traditional safety that most people think of when they think "safety"

OptionZero
04-12-2006, 12:10 PM
That sounds like something a Californian would do.

SimpleSexy180
04-12-2006, 01:30 PM
lol wtf...trying to play it off :keke:

FRpilot
04-12-2006, 02:26 PM
hahah dam i remember this video from back in the day.. he acted like when he shot himself in the foot that it didnt hurt.. he just calmly said "see.. this is what happens.. .blah blah blah." and i think he fell over.. hahaha

NemeGuero
04-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Is everyone alright? The bullet went in my foot, but is everyone ok? Haha

Who else could have gotten hurt?

Why was it even loaded?

Igor
04-12-2006, 02:58 PM
cuz hes waiting for 50 cent and 2 short to come, he needs his protection, in cali... (that was ment to be a jk, but....) ya dude, in life every one gets laughed at get used to it.

theicecreamdan
04-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, I know they have 3 safeties.

I said they don't have a "external" traditional safety that most people think of when they think "safety"

that's no excuse not to use them, in a classroom, with kids, when you're pointing a gun at yourself.

HyperTek
04-13-2006, 12:21 AM
sucks tho about his situation, he was just trying to show kids the way, and had this accident, which probably lost the trust of the kids.

+1 for hte guy for trying to improve the community, minus his accident.