PDA

View Full Version : engagement rings

Andrew Bohan
04-10-2006, 10:29 PM
so what's this nonsense i hear about engagement rings supposed to cost 3x your monthly salary? there's no way in hell i'm buying a 3 x $4333.33 = $13,000 ring.

do people really do that?

Ritz S14
04-10-2006, 11:09 PM
If she means anything to you, you'll do it.

I thought it was 2 months salary though.

S14DB
04-10-2006, 11:14 PM
That's an old adage from the 20's. Diamond prices have dropped dramatically in the last 20yrs. Find out what your GF likes as a setting and get that in a good cart weight.

I hate the single solitaires cut rings that the chain stores hawk. They are gaudy and unoriginal. I hate Princess Cut too.

If you goto a chain. Watch out for the quality of the metal. Places like KAY use cheap ass gold to make there jewelry cheaper since they can't on the diamonds. 24k or nothing.

Any other questions?

SochBAT
04-10-2006, 11:15 PM
TADA!

http://www.driftfactory.com/images/narrowring1.jpg

NemeGuero
04-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Are you getting married!?

Andrew Bohan
04-10-2006, 11:17 PM
eventually.

she thinks $200 is a good price for a ring. i'd have to agree. not because i'm that much of a cheapass, but because i'm sure she'll lose it :doh:

$13k just seems awfully steep. even $9k does. if i had $9k wrapped around my finger i'd never go outside.

S14DB
04-10-2006, 11:22 PM
$200? You are going to Kay Jewelers and getting a grain of rice on 14k gold aren't you?

Wei240
04-10-2006, 11:25 PM
if you go to some places, and just buy the diamond (most important) and they will set it on a ring (a basic one) and you go back after you propose and you can let your wife pick the style she'll actually like....
you go by the 4c's for diamond, i don't remember but google can answer, so mainly it depends on your budget, let's say 5k, that'll get you a 1 carat and relatively decent size and grade diamond.. because you'll still have to think about wedding cost, it ain't cheap... people say you'll break even from gifts, but that's only true if you invite older folks/people who'll actually give gifts/money...

yeah, i know people who spent more than 13k for diamond alone, but they're doctors/lawyers/people with money, but i don't think it was 3x their salary...

btw don't get platinum band for yourself, it's played out, expensive and it dents/bends easily, get titanium

S14DB
04-10-2006, 11:27 PM
http://www.adiamondisforever.com/buy/4cs_flash.html

Andrew Bohan
04-10-2006, 11:33 PM
i'm not actually going to get a $200 ring. that's just silly. i was thinking $1-2k would be better. maybe if i get a raise and have some money saved up i can go up to $3 or 4k.

is shane co all it's cracked up to be?

NemeGuero
04-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Cracker Jack Surprise FTW!

S14DB
04-10-2006, 11:43 PM
is shane co all it's cracked up to be?
Looks all to be 14 karat gold. Even their $4k rings. Same crap Kay pulls.

jessfx
04-10-2006, 11:46 PM
that's what david's gonna pull.

....i know it. :ugh:

Cracker Jack Surprise FTW!

EchoOfSilence
04-10-2006, 11:48 PM
You better like Cracker Jacks; you'll be looking for the one you like

:hahano:

jessfx
04-10-2006, 11:52 PM

te odio. putangina HAHAHA. you slut.

whatever. cracker jack smacker kack. wtfever. i'm gonna make david a ring out of a dollar. see how long that lasts.

You better like Cracker Jacks; you'll be looking for the one you like

jessfx
04-10-2006, 11:53 PM
I need to get a Premium Membership so I can delete my threads...

*hint hint* ECHOOFSILENCE

SochBAT
04-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Damn, i knew rings were intricate, but i didn't really think it was THAT detailed.

I'll tell my wife she can't put a price on happiness.

Then bust out with a 2k ring.

Then shove her down, so i can say i knocked her off her feet.

EchoOfSilence
04-11-2006, 12:06 AM
:rofl: :keke:

drift freaq
04-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Damn, i knew rings were intricate, but i didn't really think it was THAT detailed.

I'll tell my wife she can't put a price on happiness.

Then bust out with a 2k ring.

man sochbat, your sense of humor is dangerous, hahahhahhah:rofl:

ranisron
04-11-2006, 12:13 AM
www.bluenile.com

my gf wants tiffany's but I am not getting that (overrated).

wickdmarz
04-11-2006, 12:36 AM
God if you were smart you'll take that invest in a home...forget a ring pfft!! I'm too practical.

If anything simple is better because most of the time the rings are so heavy. C'est la vie....guess it all depends on the chicka.

4thHorse
04-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Well you can be dumb like me and let her pick out her own. Anyways that is the way I went, but I had input. The ring I got my wife also had a match to it so when we got married I bought the match to it that makes the 2 rings look like 1. They ask my wife all the time at the jeweller if she wants then to solder it to make it 1 ring which is tiditional, but she doesn't want to. The first ring cost $2500 then the match cost $1200, but were valued and insurred for over $6500. This was a custom job. Also go platnum on the band, it's just more durable and diamond quality over size.
Congrats

4thHorse
04-11-2006, 01:06 AM
By the way I went Samuals jewellers in Valley Fair Mall in San Jose.

Andrew Bohan
04-11-2006, 01:08 AM
yea my girl is pretty practical too...i think that's part of the reason she only wants a $200 ring. lol

all she talks about is getting a place. i think she could really give a shit about the ring. she told me the style she likes. up to me to do the rest. i'd rather get one that'll last a hundred years than one that'll let us get a house one year sooner.

i can just imagine, us in 5 years
"oh honey my ring broke."
"yeah i got you a cheap one so we could get this house a year sooner"
"oh yea"

owned.

9524tee
04-11-2006, 01:27 AM
Dood, I've got a SICK ring for sale , 1/2 carat diamond ring with white gold and a Tiffany style setting, very nice and in great shape, has little diamonds on the sides too. if interested contact me. It's worth like 3 grand but.. I'll sell it for about half that. peace mang.

wangan_cruiser
04-11-2006, 02:41 AM
goddamn.....13k for an engagement ring? ill be broke before i could get her one..lol

Nan Desu Ka?!
04-11-2006, 03:05 AM
Dood, I've got a SICK ring for sale , 1/2 carat diamond ring with white gold and a Tiffany style setting, very nice and in great shape, has little diamonds on the sides too. if interested contact me. It's worth like 3 grand but.. I'll sell it for about half that. peace mang.

LOL at buying ur wife a used ring HAHAHHAHA. wow. you sir, are a true s13 owner at heart.

topsecretgold
04-11-2006, 03:10 AM
so what's this nonsense i hear about engagement rings supposed to cost 3x your monthly salary? there's no way in hell i'm buying a 3 x $4333.33 = $13,000 ring.

do people really do that?
i would totally do that in a heartbeat under these conditions:1) If i had a girlfriend
2)since i make jack shit right now...three months salary = five finger discount on the ring of my choice

SilviaNinja240
04-11-2006, 03:16 AM
I used to work as a jeweler for a couple of months, engagement rings vary in price due to color, clarity, size, weight and these dark little sploch marks which you see through thouse little eyeglass things jewlers have. I would say, on average most people spent about $2000 on engagement rings, you can get somewhat decent low end rings for 800-ish. And the really high end rings were around $6000. Seldomly will someone buy a ring over 6K. I would say go for something around 2K. You can get bands really really cheap (compared to the diamond). So don't worry about that part.

S13SilviaGirl
04-11-2006, 04:11 AM
I hate the single solitaires cut rings that the chain stores hawk. They are gaudy and unoriginal. I hate Princess Cut too.

It isn't about what YOU like...it is about HER. derrrrr AJ haha.

Find out what your girl likes, if you want to surprise her, then ask...but get an idea of what she likes before hand...act like the rings arent shit...she will be happy to explaint hem to you. hahaha. If she isn't really catching your hints...look at the jewlery she already wears. If she dosnt wear any, then simple and plain is the best way to go!

Check out the small privatly owned stores...better quality. Tiffany's is nice if you have the $$$bling$$$ but, if you were serious about her only wanting a $200 ring...then Wal-Mart has some. jk jk....dont evar do that!

Just make sure you get a lifetime warranty on the stone(s) and that the metal is a good quality. Lastly, make sure the setting will hold up to her daily job/work. Mine *knock on wood* have lasted me almost 4 years and my anniversary ring a little over a year...and it is delicate, but well made. I am constantly working on jets/parachutes/ejection seats and they hold up, it is all in the quality.

Oh, and I got all of my rings from Littman Jewelers, aka Fred Meyers...great quality and great prices! ok...my two cents. Hope they help ya.

ranisron
04-11-2006, 07:33 AM
does the ring even hold its value? or should I just start investing in stocks/bonds since I get capital appreciation (for the long run)?

s14xman
04-11-2006, 10:06 AM
i got my wife's ring at jared. very nice people and great service. it was about 2300 for a .60ct "ideal cut" diamond, colorless, and some vs-1 or vg crap can't remember. In a platinum setting. very nice ring! try jared, and of coarse you get free cleaning anytime, free resize anytime, free diamond if it falls out if the setting, etc. etc. The Ideal cut diamonds really stand out! they really shine even outside of there jewlry store lighting! give them a try

S14DB
04-11-2006, 02:12 PM
It isn't about what YOU like...it is about HER. derrrrr AJ haha.
Trust me, I found this out the hard way.
Find out what your girl likes, if you want to surprise her, then ask...but get an idea of what she likes before hand...act like the rings arent shit...she will be happy to explaint hem to you. hahaha. If she isn't really catching your hints...look at the jewlery she already wears. If she dosnt wear any, then simple and plain is the best way to go!

Check out the small privatly owned stores...better quality. Tiffany's is nice if you have the $$$bling$$$ but, if you were serious about her only wanting a $200 ring...then Wal-Mart has some. jk jk....dont evar do that!

Just make sure you get a lifetime warranty on the stone(s) and that the metal is a good quality. Lastly, make sure the setting will hold up to her daily job/work. Mine *knock on wood* have lasted me almost 4 years and my anniversary ring a little over a year...and it is delicate, but well made. I am constantly working on jets/parachutes/ejection seats and they hold up, it is all in the quality.

Oh, and I got all of my rings from Littman Jewelers, aka Fred Meyers...great quality and great prices! ok...my two cents. Hope they help ya.
+1 on Privately owned stores. They have better selection and independent diamond evaluation. A lot of chain stores have there evaluators on the payroll as a sub company.

I can not stress how important it is to get quality gold. A lot of chains get buy with 14k gold. Which is worthless. It may feel strong in the ring but, the impurities will make the mounts weak. There will be no resale value in the ring if it is 14k. Only the diamond.

Go for 24k gold or Platinum. D-E-F colorless with no floressence. FL-IF Internally flawless are hard to find sometimes. VVS1 and VVs2 are ok as long as you know were the flaws are. I've seen some VS1's that were hard to see. VS2 you can definitely see.

Some of the worst diamonds I have ever seen were on a cruise. They had a list of "reputable" dealers. i.e. places that had payed them off. These were sub N in color and all Slightly included. looked horrible.

exitspeed
04-11-2006, 03:37 PM
I bought a ring from a private owned store that is owned by a freind of the family (my grandfather bought his engagement ring for my ghrandmother there 50 years ago) and I got the hook-up.

I didn't spend 3 months salary. Just less then 2. Some girls like big rings some don't.

Mine doesn't. I opted for a better quality and smaller size ring. She get's comments on it all the time.

GL on the engagment!

reefer1114
04-11-2006, 04:49 PM
me and my girl have decided that expensive ass engagement rings are stupid. i say 3-500 is good for engagement. save the rest for the real one :)

KwKouki
04-11-2006, 07:37 PM
If her answer depends on the pricetag...you might wanna rethink your future.

sr240mike
04-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Andrew, ShaneCo is an awesome place. I just got my girl a necklace, a .25ct diamond solitaire necklace there. The prices weren't too bad and they guarantee it for life and throw in free scheduled maintanance, lol.

S14DB
04-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Andrew, ShaneCo is an awesome place. I just got my girl a necklace, a .25ct diamond solitaire necklace there. The prices weren't too bad and they guarantee it for life and throw in free scheduled maintanance, lol.
Is it 14k gold?

Irukandji
04-11-2006, 10:37 PM
http://www.saubeach.com/blog/archives/%E6%8C%87%E8%BC%AA%E3%82%AD%E3%83%A3%E3%83%B3%E3%8 3%87%E3%82%A3%E3%83%BC.JPG

atleast she'll never go hungry.

NemeGuero
04-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Until she finishes it!! lol

SpeedMonkeyInc
04-11-2006, 11:19 PM
i a .60ct "ideal cut" diamond, colorless, and some vs-1 or vg crap can't remember. In a platinum setting.

Nice stone. I looked at a few, and I chose a smaller stone with higher quality rating. Really makes a big difference, like Exitspeed stated as well.

+1 on the small business. I went to a local family owned shop, and I am really glad I did for several reasons I won't bore you people with.

I spent about 2.5x my monthly income, and got a very nice ring. Platinum, and a high quality center diamond. She loves it :)