PDA

View Full Version : Honesty

95Blue240sx
04-05-2006, 11:04 AM
How honest are you?

Last week my girlfriend lost her wallet. She just pulled out $60 and then her wallet got lost. She had her balance book, 1 credit card, 1 debit car, 2 IDs, 3 gift cards and the $60 cash. This was the day we planned for a couple days and she wanted to treat me out the whole day. So when we got to the fishermans warf, she noticed it was gone. We were about to go back home because she didnt have anything and we spent a good hour calling up her brother and asking him to look for it, then calling up the banks and canceling her cards. Instead of leaving I decided to stay and I would pay for everything. I had a feeling that since everything was going sooo bad that something good would happen.

Turns out when i went to the ATM to get some cash I got what i didnt expect. I slid my card and just started to punch numbers in. I didnt ask me for my pin or anything. I took out $60 and got my recipt. When i looked at the statement it said I had a balance of $5k and im thinking Im not worth that much. Turns out the people in front of us did not log out and i took $60 from them. Right away i tried to look for them but i didnt know how they looked or anything. After feeling kinda bad and good our day went on.

On tuesday(yesterday) she got a package in the mail. It was her wallet! The cash was gone, and everything was still there. I was damned suprised. I dont really expect anyone now a days to do something like this. I think only elder people would do that. Suprised me and changes the way I think about other peoples lost stuff. Its such a hassle. I would of probably done the same thing and take the money and send it, but now i would just send it all back.

What do you think about me getting the $60 from the ATM?
Whats your opinion on finding wallets?
Irony

Cliff notes.
GF lost wallet w/$60 cash
I take money out from the ATM, from someone elses account. Unintentional.
Someone sends her wallet back without the cash but everything else.

mRclARK1
04-05-2006, 11:37 AM
If you find someone elses wallet you send it back, if you can, or turn it over to the police. Simple as that. It's not yours and that makes it stealing. Unless the owner gives you money as a reward for finding it, or it goes unclaimed and you get the cash in the wallet from the police, you have no right to take any of it. I say whoever took the $60 out of your GF's wallet is a thief, and if it's the same person who sent it back, a very confused one. (steal the money and not the credit cards??)

The $60 you took out from the ATM sounds like an honest mistake. I'd try to fix it however you can...but I wouldn't get to upset about it if you can't find them (or their bank branch) to return the money.

I remember once when I was still just a little kid; there was a story in the paper about some guy who found a wallet on a subway car, or bus, or something like that. Had no ID, so he gave it to the police, who held it for a few days, and then it was claimed. Turns out the wallet belonged to one of the richest people in the whole city area, and they gave him a $10,000 reward for finding it. Proof that honesty pays...sometimes literally.

SpeedMonkeyInc
04-05-2006, 12:07 PM
I think you should pay back that $60 you took. Of course it was unintentional, but it is still not your money. At this point it might be somewhat difficult to find out exactly who that money belongs to, but try anyway by going back to the bank.
That is so cool that the finder of your girlfriends wallet sent it back! Will she write a thank you letter? I don't know about the money being taken. That is not cool. That is someone entitling themselves to a good Samaritan's fee, which defeats the purpose of being a good neighbor. Alls well that ends well right?

A Spec Products
04-05-2006, 12:14 PM
I think you should pay back that $60 you took. Of course it was unintentional, but it is still not your money. At this point it might be somewhat difficult to find out exactly who that money belongs to, but try anyway by going back to the bank.

Agreed. Good karma is worth it in my opinion.

I'd feel better if it was me. Maybe if you found $60 in the grass at the park its a different story, but in this case you could trace the owner.

NemeGuero
04-05-2006, 12:15 PM
I say you broke even, fuck it. Good shit and have a coke and a smile.

Andrew Bohan
04-05-2006, 12:25 PM
one time joe found a cell phone on his way home from work. he called some numbers on it to find out whose it was. owner gave him $20 to get it back.

then later on, joe forgot his watch at this old fat lady's house. i got it back for him and asked if he remembered about the $20 for the phone. so he gave me $20 to get his watch back. hahah

Irukandji
04-05-2006, 12:42 PM
I've always tried my best to return wallets or money that I find because I had a bad experience with losing my wallet in SF.

Sooo I was treating a few kids out to the Metreon and so I decided to take them to the arcade. Long story short, my wallet fell out of my pocket while I was playing some driving game (forgot what it was called) and I did't realize it until a couple hours later. Anyway, I take a few kids out to Luna Azul, treat them out to a hearty lunch, only to be stuck with a bill that i couldn't pay because I had no wallet. I start to panic and look around the restaurant, but couldn't find it. A couple minutes later an older middle aged woman came up to me and looked at my driver's license.. then back at my face, and gave me my wallet. Apparently she'd been trying to return the wallet for the past hour because her son found it in the arcade, but couldn't find anyone who looked like me.

ramblux
04-05-2006, 01:10 PM
I'd say definitely give the money back. No one but the owner of the money knows what it was for -- maybe doctor bills, a wedding, etc. Either way it doesn't matter. It should be returned.

Was the ATM at an actual bank? Could you go to that bank and have them look at the transaction history to find out whose account it was? It should show up even if they don't have an account there. Did the ATM give you a receipt?

Arsenal of Glory
04-05-2006, 01:41 PM
My gf lost her wallet once and someone picked it up and wiped out her checking account using her Debit card. What pissed us off was that the place where her debit card was used was at some hardware store and made huge purchases on Chainsaws, hammers, crowbar, ladders, etc... This big ass purchase and the store owner didnt bother to check for ID. Everything was in the wallet too, drivers license, id, credit cards, etc...Luckily someone found the wallet and turned it into the police. The owner of the hardware store got in big trouble for not checking for ID, especially on huge purchases like that. The people who found the wallet and spent the money havent been caught, but i hope they go down.

m072514
04-05-2006, 03:15 PM
try to give the money back, or if you cant find out whose it was... then at least donate that $60 to charity. that seems like a good compromise to me.

95Blue240sx
04-05-2006, 03:32 PM
My gf has already sent a thank you letter and card. She also included a $20 gift card to red lobster.

The ATM was just an ATM in the wall, not an actual bank. Lesson learned. I dont know what ill do about it, but if something like this comes up again ill know what to do.

SpeedMonkeyInc
04-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Just a stand alone ATM? Forget it, that money is yours. Go to a nice dinner or something.

NemeGuero
04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
Like I said, a coke and a smile. ;)

No real bank would have you "log-out."

anthony240
04-05-2006, 03:53 PM
yea, you did break even. cool story

sittinsideways
04-05-2006, 03:59 PM
i got my walet janked a few years ago at school. it had like 93 bux in it. never saw that again. damn skumbags

Andrew Bohan
04-05-2006, 04:29 PM
oh man that reminds me
when i was in 9th grade i took weight training and it was all grades.

some junior kid pulled my wallet out of pocket when i was opening my locker. i turned around and slugged him in the gut and took my wallet back. fucker

i had less than $10 in it but whatever.

ramblux
04-05-2006, 04:52 PM
oh man that reminds me
when i was in 9th grade i took weight training and it was all grades.

some junior kid pulled my wallet out of pocket when i was opening my locker. i turned around and slugged him in the gut and took my wallet back. fucker

i had less than $10 in it but whatever.

Shit, $10 is 5 Frito chili boats

Drunk Bastard
04-05-2006, 04:54 PM
one time joe found a cell phone on his way home from work. he called some numbers on it to find out whose it was. owner gave him $20 to get it back.

then later on, joe forgot his watch at this old fat lady's house. i got it back for him and asked if he remembered about the $20 for the phone. so he gave me $20 to get his watch back. hahah

HAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!

old = 35 years old
fat = i dont think so

what goes around comes around.

alexchanman
04-05-2006, 05:31 PM
losing shit is the worst. i know i will never want anyone to steal my stuff so therefore i dont do it to others.

95Blue240sx
04-05-2006, 10:57 PM
It's kinda weired, at my work we get a couple of credit cards left at my work and they just pile up. My boss figures if they come back they can get them back. He doesnt do shit for these people. I didnt realize that till now.

airsoft
04-05-2006, 11:04 PM
I found a wallet @ Carls Jr.
Went out of my way to find her house 20 minutes away, drove there left a note to call me, called me, and asked to come at a time that fit her time, and I dropped it off, and she said "thanks".. Door Closed

I found wallet at basketball league gym with 150.00 bones, gift cards adn all that yummy stuff.. took it to administration and dropped it off... same place week before.. friend gets Kenneth Cole Reaction shoes stolen...

ranisron
04-05-2006, 11:19 PM
in the long run, I think honest people will be appreciated/rewarded. Just because A and/or B is not honest, you should be dishonest as well...

koukidough
04-05-2006, 11:26 PM
keep it $60 wont hurt a $5000 account

Buffalo Daughter
04-06-2006, 02:16 AM
i'd do the honest thing and try and return it. I mean if you think about if that had happened to you, you'd feel the same way. Yeah the cash of course will be gone but as long as you get back all the id's etc, then all good. I got a story for you. When i was working at Great America back in 97-98 i had pulled 400 cash for an R/C that i saved up to buy. I was going to buy it after work ( yeah i brought it to work in my wallet!!!) . Long story short i was walking and DROPPED $400 while i was digging in my wallet and did not notice it fall out while i was shoving it in my pocket it walking. I'd say i walked about a good 15 feet from where i dropped it and this guy comes running up to me with ALL of it intact. Not one single bill was missing. I was shocked and thankful at the same time people like that are honest. I mean you could say its prolly just a handfull of people but shit comes around and goes around. Karma. - On another note about the money you took from the atm, i'd chalk it up to an honest mistake. I mean you didnt steal it on purpose and had no idea. You shouldlnt worry about that too much.

SilviaNinja240
04-06-2006, 06:34 AM
You know almost the EXACT same thing happend to me, except for the girl friend part. The person forgot to log out, and i'm like "oh, she forgot to logout", so I ejected her card yelled "hey lady! You forgot your card" and she picked it up. After I handed it off to her, I was like "oh yeah, I coulda taken her money."; ugh, stupid morals. But I guess its a good thing if that was my initial response

DrtyRat
04-06-2006, 07:34 AM
You know almost the EXACT same thing happend to me, except for the girl friend part. The person forgot to log out, and i'm like "oh, she forgot to logout", so I ejected her card yelled "hey lady! You forgot your card" and she picked it up. After I handed it off to her, I was like "oh yeah, I coulda taken her money."; ugh, stupid morals. But I guess its a good thing if that was my initial response
same thing happened to me w/the same results...also had something similiar to this happen 2wks ago at the bank. Guy was in front of me at the drive thru atm and pulled off. When I get to the atm I notice he had left his card in the machine w/it still "logged" in, I went around the parking lot for 15min looking for him to no avail so I just cut up the card...I truly try to be as honest as possible in all situations and I think there's alot more of us out there then we think:x:

FaLKoN240
04-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Most ATMs have cameras, and they have timestamps. So if you did anything REALLY dishonest, I'm pretty sure if they wanted to, they could make you pay for it.

603240sx
04-06-2006, 08:45 AM
this winter i was gonna buy a truck to put my car in storage. well that night i asked the guy how much he needs to hold it till tomarrow he said 200$ nonrefundble. i said thats cool. so the next morning i went to the bank pulled out 1500$ and then i went to the gym. left my wallet in the car. under a jacket. when i got out the gym i went to hooters relizeid imy wallet was mising.so i looked for it for like 2hrs. called up the guy and told him my problem.and he said i dont give a shit what happend you cant have your money back.oh the dick who stole my wallet maxed out 2 of my credit cards in 5hrs.people suck.

603240sx
04-06-2006, 08:51 AM
i found a ladies purse at my job. there had two be a couple hunderd dollars in it cards, etc. well i brong it down to my manager. and turns out it was a employees that has not worked in about 1yr i was wonderring why it was so fucking dusty

JaeTea
04-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Most ATMs have cameras, and they have timestamps. So if you did anything REALLY dishonest, I'm pretty sure if they wanted to, they could make you pay for it.

Yep...

I accidentally took $100 out of someone's account...a week later the bank called me asking for the money back. :hyper:

Just keep the $60 from the ATM, if they want it back they'll find you.

95Blue240sx
04-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah i thought abou that to. I know there are cameras, and if they did want me to pay it back I would. Like someone else said, with a 5k balance $60 is change.

Good stories, sucks when shit like stolen maxed out cards happen to you, but it DOES get back to them in time.

40daws
04-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Worked at a grocery store once,friend of mine worked in frozen foods and found a ladies wallet on top of a stack of eggs. He took the wallet to Customer Service,after lifting the $300 out of it. Weeelll 3 days later his transmission goes out in his maxima.$2100. Karma baby.