PDA

View Full Version : US Postal Money Order Scam

undesiredshoe
04-03-2006, 08:35 PM
hello zilvia, i just wrote this to warn you if you didnt already know about it.

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/consumer/articles/postalmoneyorder04042005-CR.html

boosteds13
04-03-2006, 09:35 PM
My bank won't even take a US postal money order. They said its because of that exact reason.

importnut
04-04-2006, 08:29 AM
It's absolutely amazing what people will do to steal.

I remember an individual that was selling his 240. The buy paid for the car with a cashier's check, and it ended up being a fake.

Another shifty trick happened to a friend of mine's brother. He was selling an old AMC Javalin. The car wasn't anything special, but it had a blown 406 small block making around 750hp. Anyway, the guy that bought the car was paying with a check. The went to the bank to verify that the funds were available, and finished the transaction. By the time the check was to "clear" the funds were gone. The guy had pulled all of the money out of his account. Last I heard, my friend's brother has not been compensated.

Sadly, he even held onto the title for the purpose of waiting for the check to clear....however, I doubt the guy was interested in the car....He wanted the $10k engine.

Sick. I hope there is a special place in hell for those people.

Romeyo07
04-04-2006, 08:56 AM
what ever happened to waiting until the check cleared?

importnut
04-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Sometimes, it's not that easy. Holding onto the title of a car should be enough to make sure a person doesn't go astray, but in the example I outlined, that was not the case.

Romeyo07
04-04-2006, 12:10 PM
Pay first, money is sitting the bank, then give up the car.

DJPimpFlex
04-04-2006, 12:20 PM
I had that happen to me a long time ago, and I waited for the check to clear, but when it didnt my bank closed my account and it took me 2 months to get my money. I did get it all in the end, but I left WAMU after that. Fuck scammers. I know now and I can smell them even before I open the email. They also awlays use a generic format and say god bless and my thanks to your family, shit like that.

oridostyle
04-04-2006, 12:21 PM
it happened to me 2 years ago i got a fake cashier's check when i was trying to sell my old car. Everything looked real until i called the back to make sure it was legit, but had a non existence bank account number. Called the cops but they couldnt do shit cause it was out of state :down:

rainier
04-04-2006, 03:12 PM
dude for those that wanna buy with money order. its funny cuz they dont really speak alot of english. its like i am interested in the item you are selling blah blah blah never even mention what you are selling then theyll be like whats the exact amount for it.

when that comes, i ask for a ridiculous price like 7,000 for a pair of subwoofers. in the mail the next week, i get the check. it happens to me ALL the time.