PDA

View Full Version : please help, are my HKS coils shot?

speedstar01
04-01-2006, 04:04 PM
today me and a mechanice put in a set of used HKS Hipermax D coils(bought from a friend and i dont know how many miles are on them).new Battle Version tension rods, RUCAS, and toe arms were put in as well. i put the coils on the highest setting of dampening all around, so they feel quite stiff. Here is the problem:

I pushed the rear down with my body and it springs right back up ans settles. the front on the other hand is the opposite. it bobbles! its bumps up and down a few times before it settles. not big bumps but it is noticable. Im like SHIT! and ask my buddy (the mechanic) he says the struts are mostly shot in the front. now i get even more frustrated! i assume i need to have these HKS coilovers sent in for a rebuild? Has anyone had this done? How pricey might it be. will it be safe to make it back home if i get it aligned??(home is about 2000 miles away from out here in Iowa) please i really need some advice, thanks guys!!;)

speedstar01
04-01-2006, 06:14 PM
bump

for feeling nervous, distressed, alone , and depressed.... BOO HOO!

speedstar01
04-02-2006, 10:44 AM
please guys help me out, that wasnt an April fools joke! i really need help:bigok:

DJPimpFlex
04-02-2006, 01:26 PM
yea your fronts are blown. This is the reason I would never buy coils used or from japan. Sorry to say, but you got screwed. You can have them rebuilt, but I have no idea how to do it, and I'm sure it will take a long time and the shipping alone is going to kill. You can drive home on them, just be careful. Sometimes it will flote over a bump and throw the car. Just be prepared and go slow. Sorry man.

speedstar01
04-02-2006, 02:02 PM
thanks for the response DJPimpFlex, perhaps i should look for a front set of coils to be safe and have the HKS coils all rebuilt when i get home? iheard bycicle shops can rebuild some coils is this tru?

anyone have front adjustable coils theyd like to sell for a reasonable price?

richardxfeng
04-02-2006, 03:28 PM
I think you should call HKS regarding to the rebuild. Also why don't you put the stock ones back on and drive back home?

McRussellPants
04-02-2006, 03:51 PM
WTG?

Its a blown shock, God knows that 75% of the people that own 240SXs are on the shocks that their cars rolled out of the container on.

Your not gonna carreen your car over a cliff because your shocks are "mostly" blown. Christ.

speedstar01
04-02-2006, 04:41 PM
my stock fronts are bad as well or else i would put them back on. the trip from iowa to New York is mostly highway. only really rough roads are in chicago..... perhaps i'll go junkyard hunting for OEM replacements:bigok:

id appreciate anymore opinions :)

DJPimpFlex
04-02-2006, 05:39 PM
nahh dont bother changing out the shocks, you wont die. secondly I've never heard about bike shops being able to rebuild coilovers. Its a possibility, but bike shocks are a lot less complicated then crazy adjustable car coil overs. If you do send them to get rebuilt send all 4. Also you can have them revalved for whatever you want. That is nice if you are looking for a stiffer spring rate range later in the future.

speedstar01
04-02-2006, 11:12 PM
yea i think i will have to drive carefully home:angel: