PDA

View Full Version : yeah yeah yeahs - show your bones

sw20>>s14
03-29-2006, 12:31 AM
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/iloves14/715940.jpg

well, since ive been seeing a lot of music reviews i thought id do one of my own...just got the album today on its release...i must say, ive always been a yeah yeah yeahs fan, but id die for them now...this is one of the best albums ive heard in years...in fact, this is the last album ive bought since room112, they definitely have my support...its the perfect combination of ska, punk, and brit punk...the whole album has such a wide variety of tempo, nature, and tone...the musical talent of the group is just unbeliveable...the unique music in unison with karen o's eccentric voice harmonizes perfectly...well, if youre a yeah yeah yeahs fan, you know what to do...if you arent, buy it and try it out...ill guarantee that youll become a fan...please dont download and just purchase the album to support the band, its only $10...if there was a band to support and keep around, the yeah yeah yeahs are without a doubt on top of the list :rawk:

Jcb890
03-29-2006, 12:43 AM
hate to break it to ya... but they suck.

A Spec Products
03-29-2006, 01:03 AM
the yeah yeah yeahs? what kinda music is it?

oh nevermind i just looked them on on their website....sounds good i guess? im not really into rock music :(

lead singer girl has interesting voice and sound, cool stuff

but anyhow this is a thread jack move, back up! (okay not really but i felt like reviewing some albums too hehe)

http://images.windowsmedia.com/img/prov_w/150_80/075596853965.jpg

Bun B - Trill

1/2 of UGK, need I say more? A bit more commercial appeal on this one, but real hot, something to throw in the car and crank the bass knob all the way to the right. "Draped Up" beat is intoxicating, I got this track on repeat x 10000. Rap fans who have been living under a rock recently will recognize Bun B from Jay-Z's "Big Pimpin" a couple years back. An album you gotta listen front to back, no skipping tracks here. Definite fire, some highlights:

2. Bun
3. Get Throwed (Feat. Pimp C, Z-Ro, Young Jeezy)
4. Draped Up (Feat. Lil' KeKe)
14. Who Need A "B" (Feat. Too Short & Juvenile)
16. Draped Up (H-Town Mix Feat. Slim Thug, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, Chamillionaire, Z-Ro, Lil Flip)

http://images.windowsmedia.com/img/prov_u/150_80/00602498836514_800x800.jpg

Lil Wayne - The Carter II

Yeah yeah, came out last December but I finally got around to copping it. Hot like fire, Lil Wayne hands down is one of the hottest lyricists out at the moment (the haters will doubt I'm sure). Always been a fan since day 1, I'd honestly put Lil Wayne up there with Jay, Nas, Pac, etc. The album is just straight bananas. "Hustler Musik" is ridiculous, I can't stop listening to that one either. Cash Money's come a long way since the "Ha" days. Weezy Baby! Highlights from the album:

2. Fly In
3. Money On My Mind
4. Fireman
9. Oh No
14. Hustler Musik < (FIRE!)
15. Receipt
19. I'm A DBoy
21. Get Over

Peep Weezy doing acapella on Rap City:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4OS4zIfzeFc

http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/album_covers/sq-hustle-flow-soundtrack.jpg

Hustle & Flow OST

For those who haven't seen the movie, I liked it, but people are 50/50 on it. I think if you don't like south rap you probably won't feel it that much but damn, the soundtrack's not half bad either. I got this just to listen to "Whoop Dat Trick," a great track by itself and even better cause of the part in the movie where they record it. Not sure if this is a buy or a borrow, maybe try to borrow a friend's CD or something. Some hot tracks:

1. I'm A King (Remix) (Feat. T.I. & Lil' Scrappy)
2. Tell Me Why (8 Ball & MJG)
7. Whoop Dat Trick (DJay)
11. Lil' Daddy (Young City aka Chopper) < I think Choppa sucks but the song is ok.
12. Let's Get A Room (Nasty Nardo)
17. Still Tippin' (It's A Man's World Remix) (Mike Jaaaunes Feat. Nicole Wray)

I'm feeling EVERYTHING coming out of Houston these days, don't ask me why.

Dousan_PG
03-29-2006, 01:08 AM
i love how your sig fits PERFECT

but like i told you rap is just a fad

hahahahahahaha

A Spec Products
03-29-2006, 01:09 AM
i love how your sig fits PERFECT

but like i told you rap is just a fad

hahahahahahaha

hahaha loser

hey im giving the YYY's a chance mann

ive been listening to their stuff for like the past 10 minutes

trying to "culture" myself

you might even see me playing guitar hero soon you never know!

Dousan_PG
03-29-2006, 01:11 AM
everyone should play guitar hero. serious.

MrBrightSide
03-29-2006, 01:20 AM
Ill check out 'show your bones'. But on another note, I know this album has been out for a while now, but I just borrowed this from a friend yesterday and I must say its really nice: Blonde Redhead - Misery is a Butterfly
http://www.blackmailmag.com/images/MUSICA/Misery-is-a-butterfly.jpg

exitspeed
03-29-2006, 08:26 AM

Yeah yeah, came out last December but I finally got around to copping it. Hot like fire, Lil Wayne hands down is one of the hottest lyricists out at the moment (the haters will doubt I'm sure). Always been a fan since day 1, I'd honestly put Lil Wayne up there with Jay, Nas, Pac, etc. The album is just straight bananas. "Hustler Musik" is ridiculous, I can't stop listening to that one either. Cash Money's come a long way since the "Ha" days. Weezy Baby! Highlights from the album:

2. Fly In
3. Money On My Mind
4. Fireman
9. Oh No
15. Receipt
19. I'm A DBoy
21. Get Over

Yes this is Wayne's best album so far. He's really matured as an MC and his lyrics are getting raw. He's a master at using similarites as metaphores. Not just straight metaphores. Like in Fireman for example he says "Quick draw Mgraw, I went to art school". Those type's. Shit is nice. ONLY beef I have with Wayne now is that everyone but Baby is gone from CMR. Mannie Fresh is the backbone of the label and gave them their sound. You can hear it in the production value of the album if you ask me. Now that his lyrics are growing up he needs to grow up and squash the beef with the rest of the old CM artists.

I would give the album a 7/10

Phlip
03-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Yes this is Wayne's best album so far. He's really matured as an MC and his lyrics are getting raw. He's a master at using similarites as metaphores. Not just straight metaphores. Like in Fireman for example he says "Quick draw Mgraw, I went to art school". Those type's. Shit is nice. ONLY beef I have with Wayne now is that everyone but Baby is gone from CMR. Mannie Fresh is the backbone of the label and gave them their sound. You can hear it in the production value of the album if you ask me. Now that his lyrics are growing up he needs to grow up and squash the beef with the rest of the old CM artists.

I would give the album a 7/10
The album is good and shows Wayne's maturity level up a million, but as far as "product," the freestyles and mixtape shit he did leading up to this album was FIRE! I was always convinced that Wayne as an adult is one of the best lyricists in the game (not something normally heard about southern rappers), but the shit on that Gangsta Grillz and a couple others he did made people who didn't care otherwise change their minds.
And I don't think it is Wayne's beef with the rest of the old CMR artists, because everyone who has left the label has stated their problem to be with Baby, not Wayne. The problem is that wayne is far too willing to go to war and speak back to these people. And you're right, Fresh WAS the CMR sound, I can't see them doing very big things from here on in.

exitspeed
03-29-2006, 08:44 AM
The album is good and shows Wayne's maturity level up a million, but as far as "product," the freestyles and mixtape shit he did leading up to this album was FIRE! I was always convinced that Wayne as an adult is one of the best lyricists in the game (not something normally heard about southern rappers), but the shit on that Gangsta Grillz and a couple others he did made people who didn't care otherwise change their minds.
And I don't think it is Wayne's beef with the rest of the old CMR artists, because everyone who has left the label has stated their problem to be with Baby, not Wayne. The problem is that wayne is far too willing to go to war and speak back to these people. And you're right, Fresh WAS the CMR sound, I can't see them doing very big things from here on in.

BG and Fresh were on 106 and Park a couple weeks ago and BG straight out called Wayne and Baby "busters". i was like "daaaaamn" Can't we all just get along. Fresh though didn't say anything. He just stayed quiet.

What is the beef with Baby anyway? My opinion is Baby has the least to bring to the table out of all of them. He's NOTHING without Fresh.

ManoNegra
03-29-2006, 09:12 AM
The only good thing about Lil Wayne is the Chappelle skits...
YYYs Show Your Bones is aight. I much prefer the raw production and sound of Fever to Tell and Machine. But I'm sure this one will grow on me eventually.

Phlip
03-29-2006, 09:14 AM
BG and Fresh were on 106 and Park a couple weeks ago and BG straight out called Wayne and Baby "busters". i was like "daaaaamn" Can't we all just get along. Fresh though didn't say anything. He just stayed quiet.

What is the beef with Baby anyway? My opinion is Baby has the least to bring to the table out of all of them. He's NOTHING without Fresh.
Baby, as I understand it, has been doing his artists not named Dwayne Carter dirty when it comes to their money.
That is why BG left, then Juvenile, then they paid Juvenile and he came back, and then he left again. Fresh claims to have left as a business decision, but I personally think that he came to realize that his beats were worth more in cash from other artists, compared to simply grinding them out as a "job" for one label. Can you imagine what a drag it must be to do EVERY beat on EVERY album your label releases for like 10 years?

Jcb890
03-29-2006, 03:21 PM
the yeah yeah yeahs? what kinda music is it?

oh nevermind i just looked them on on their website....sounds good i guess? im not really into rock music :(

lead singer girl has interesting voice and sound, cool stuff

but anyhow this is a thread jack move, back up! (okay not really but i felt like reviewing some albums too hehe)

http://images.windowsmedia.com/img/prov_w/150_80/075596853965.jpg

Bun B - Trill

1/2 of UGK, need I say more? A bit more commercial appeal on this one, but real hot, something to throw in the car and crank the bass knob all the way to the right. "Draped Up" beat is intoxicating, I got this track on repeat x 10000. Rap fans who have been living under a rock recently will recognize Bun B from Jay-Z's "Big Pimpin" a couple years back. An album you gotta listen front to back, no skipping tracks here. Definite fire, some highlights:

2. Bun
3. Get Throwed (Feat. Pimp C, Z-Ro, Young Jeezy)
4. Draped Up (Feat. Lil' KeKe)
14. Who Need A "B" (Feat. Too Short & Juvenile)
16. Draped Up (H-Town Mix Feat. Slim Thug, Paul Wall, Mike Jones, Chamillionaire, Z-Ro, Lil Flip)

2. Fly In
3. Money On My Mind
4. Fireman
9. Oh No
15. Receipt
19. I'm A DBoy
21. Get Over

http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/album_covers/sq-hustle-flow-soundtrack.jpg

Hustle & Flow OST

For those who haven't seen the movie, I liked it, but people are 50/50 on it. I think if you don't like south rap you probably won't feel it that much but damn, the soundtrack's not half bad either. I got this just to listen to "Whoop Dat Trick," a great track by itself and even better cause of the part in the movie where they record it. Not sure if this is a buy or a borrow, maybe try to borrow a friend's CD or something. Some hot tracks:

1. I'm A King (Remix) (Feat. T.I. & Lil' Scrappy)
2. Tell Me Why (8 Ball & MJG)
7. Whoop Dat Trick (DJay)
11. Lil' Daddy (Young City aka Chopper) < I think Choppa sucks but the song is ok.
12. Let's Get A Room (Nasty Nardo)
17. Still Tippin' (It's A Man's World Remix) (Mike Jaaaunes Feat. Nicole Wray)

I'm feeling EVERYTHING coming out of Houston these days, don't ask me why.

haha, that was just funny. Bun B and Lil Wayne are horrendhous. I'm guessing you're a big fan of The Game too aren't you? haha, oh god. but, its your preference, so you're allowed to listed to what you want.

OMGWTFBBQ
03-29-2006, 04:25 PM
http://www.spex.de/web/pic/gallery/403b87ce261b4.jpg

my favorite

infinitexsound
03-29-2006, 06:58 PM
you know that band is playing in the city, check out bgp.com.... when i was checking for tickets i saw them on there... so youd die for them eh?

some of that commerrrRrrRcial rap stuff gets old fast... you can never really find a classic album...

sw20>>s14
03-29-2006, 08:25 PM
hate to break it to ya... but they suck.
hey youre entitled to your own opinion...just like how im sticking to mine...

you know that band is playing in the city, check out bgp.com.... when i was checking for tickets i saw them on there... so youd die for them eh?
yeah, but im waiting for choachella instead...

haha, i went out and bought another album...i was looking for so many excuses to support them so i finally bought one for my ex...you gotta love em, name a single band that sounds like them...betcha cant :D

Phlip
03-29-2006, 08:40 PM
haha, that was just funny. Bun B and Lil Wayne are horrendhous. I'm guessing you're a big fan of The Game too aren't you? haha, oh god. but, its your preference, so you're allowed to listed to what you want.
Having lived in the south for what will soon be 27 years of my life, I am providing you with negative reputation and disagreeing with you.
I have no qualms with TELLING you that it was me that gave you neg rep, because there MIGHT be 3-5 more members on the forum who can lay claim to removing 21 points from a user with 3 clicks... Respond if you like, but those red squares under your name render your response useless.
... try being less of a dumbass, and THEN responding

Jcb890
03-29-2006, 09:09 PM
haha, i could care less about the negative rep. apparently those green boxes under your name mean you're response means more? yeah... i think not. you living in the south has nothing to do with this either. good work.

RSP13-Sideways
03-29-2006, 10:59 PM
DEPECHE MODE!

And the only rapper I listen to is, "My figure 8's they're real not fake, strawberry soda, garlic bread and steak." - Andre Nickatina

kazuo
03-29-2006, 11:57 PM
And the only rapper I listen to is, "My figure 8's they're real not fake, strawberry soda, garlic bread and steak." - Andre Nickatina

Word.

Dre Dog is fuckin dope. :)

I love how a thread about the Yeah Yeah Yeahs turned into a thread about crunk Southern Crap rap.

Anyways, I like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs first album a lot better than the new one. But the new one is dope.

And yes, Blonde Redhead kicks.

infinitexsound
03-30-2006, 12:38 AM
never really like andre nickatina the mofo does his biz in my area... forreal..

supportTHEezln
03-30-2006, 12:44 AM
So, I always disliked the yeah yeah yeahs because of the stuff on the radio...until the other night. We're getting this promotional think through the cable company, where we get the really high channels for a couple months (I just have basic cable) and I saw a concert movie of one of their shows. They tear it the hell up. I was so surprised when I heard their non-radio stuff. Being in a band myself (although a bit heavier one =P) I can really appreciate them. At least the singer. She's totally their whole show, but the other 2 do their thing at least. They're pretty groovy, I must admit. Kinda remind me of a newer more modern janis joplin(sp?).

kingsol
03-30-2006, 01:38 AM
i don't like main stream stuff.
but since we're naming random artists--no, products--check out Cee-Lo and Dj Danger Mouse (Gorillaz DJ) collab: Gnarls Barkley.
that's the closest i'll get to mainstream.

ManoNegra
03-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Was lucky enough to be in the pit a few years ago when they YYYs and Soledad Bros supported The White Stripes.
Got too see Karen's underoos and Meg's bouncing boobs up close!

Phlip
03-31-2006, 06:50 PM
Since sometime around December or January, I have been STUCK listening to Fort Minor "We Major," Mixed by Green Lantern. I am tempted to try and play it backward at 1/16 speed and listen for messages to not listen to anything else, because I listen to this shit EVERY day.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/Fort_Minor-We_Major.jpg
I WOULD attempt to try and name the best tracks, but I would sooner just suggest that you challenge yourself to not cut all your fingers off to keep from touching the fast forward button.

fliprayzin240sx
03-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Iono...right now, im actually listening to the new E-40 album. I can honestly say its one of his better albums in a while. Its not shiet hot but iono i guess the bay's starting to grow on me. I guess thats why im actually listening to E-40, keak the sneak and mac dre again. Just suck Mac Dre's dead...is it just me or im hearing S-T-U-P-I-D and Giggin' more often in the clubs lately???

Fort Minor's koo too...but anybody heard of 4th25 (4th qtr). If your in the military, you'd prolly appreciate them. They're an underground group of Army Staff Sergeants who made the album out in the sandbox (hence the albums name is Live In IRAQ). Got some quirky beats and shiet they talk bouts pretty tight. Opens your eyes to wuts really goin out there.

kingsol
03-31-2006, 09:25 PM
Phlip,
why does Fort Minor sound like that Linkin Park rapping guy?
it sounds too produced and the voices are monotone...
me no likey.

Jcb890
03-31-2006, 10:52 PM
Phlip,
why does Fort Minor sound like that Linkin Park rapping guy?
it sounds too produced and the voices are monotone...
me no likey.

because it is the "that Linkin Park rapping guy."

kazuo
04-01-2006, 12:12 AM
As my half African-American colleague Scooter says,

"Fort Minor: Safe rap, for White people."

Dr. Seuss
Mother Goose
Nursery Rhymes!

A Spec Products
04-02-2006, 12:42 AM

easy playboy

is there anything you DONT HATE on? negative attitude urrtime

and yes, im a big fan of the game, i cant do big bad los angeles wrong.

whatever makes the head nod i get down with

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1151479/article_images/image2_1151479.jpg

E-40 - My Ghetto Report Card

I've always like some of E-40s stuff, but since I am not from Norcal, I don't have that automatic Yay Area potion that's mixed in the tap water. Andre Nickatina, you gots to be from the Yay to like that. Seems like E40's taking the Twista route and going a bit more mainstream with his sound and doing more guess appearance than usual. Can't hate though, its been too long for 40 water not getting his shine (to the rest of the country at least). Anyway, on first listen I'm feelin:

2. Tell Me Where To Go (the remix w/ Kanye & THE GAME though)
10. Stressmatic of the Federation
11. White Gurl
13. U and Dat (that Lil Jon horn on it)
14. I'm The Man < :) (MIKE JAAAAAAAAAAUUUNZ!)
19. She Says She Loves Me

And I have no idea why but I'm feelin the new Christina Milian / Jeezy joint. She is cute as hell and you can't stop the snoooowmmannnn!

bardabe
04-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Since sometime around December or January, I have been STUCK listening to Fort Minor "We Major," Mixed by Green Lantern. I am tempted to try and play it backward at 1/16 speed and listen for messages to not listen to anything else, because I listen to this shit EVERY day.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/Fort_Minor-We_Major.jpg
I WOULD attempt to try and name the best tracks, but I would sooner just suggest that you challenge yourself to not cut all your fingers off to keep from touching the fast forward button.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008H2LB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg Enough said. LP PWN's FM.

Phlip
04-02-2006, 01:20 PM
As my half African-American colleague Scooter says,

"Fort Minor: Safe rap, for White people."

Dr. Seuss
Mother Goose
Nursery Rhymes!
And as a more than half-black person, I am going to disagree with your friend. Fort Minor's album (and mixtape, at that) is a well written and damn well produced album that lacks the guns, drugs, fucking and all other bullshit that seems to make it onto the radio nowadays. It is rap that black people don't seem to want to listen to, but trust, there are plenty of black artists that I personally enjoy a whole lot (see my avatar) that find themselves in the same boat.

kazuo
04-02-2006, 02:39 PM
And as a more than half-black person, I am going to disagree with your friend. Fort Minor's album (and mixtape, at that) is a well written and damn well produced album that lacks the guns, drugs, fucking and all other bullshit that seems to make it onto the radio nowadays. It is rap that black people don't seem to want to listen to, but trust, there are plenty of black artists that I personally enjoy a whole lot (see my avatar) that find themselves in the same boat.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, phlip.

But I can't help but think "Dr. Seuss" and "Mainstream-friendly" everytime I hear Fort Minor.. maybe its just my distaste for Linkin Park that sets it off, but something about Fort Minor doesn't resonate with me.

Plus I just think the sound in general is too "pop."

See also, Eminem's albums, with the exception of the Real Slim Shady. And even that is borderline.

Eminem's got crazy skills, but rather than release a high-quality product, he released something accessible.

FaLKoN240
04-02-2006, 03:16 PM
The only good thing about Lil Wayne is the Chappelle skits...

Didn't anyone catch this? It's LIL JON

http://lilscrappy3232.tripod.com/lilscrappy/thumbnails/400x300/LilJon.jpg

Not Lil Wayne,

That Chappelle does.

http://www.zero-hero.com/vids/liljon.gif

ThatGuy
04-02-2006, 03:18 PM
^Too many Lil' people to keep track of. Wayne, John, Kim....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

WERDdabuilder
04-02-2006, 09:55 PM
i dont care. Weezy is annoying to me. i cant stand his voice. he is watever. the girl in the Hustler Musik...the one playing his girl...she's poppin'