PDA

View Full Version : SAFC fixed idle?

NA4NOW
03-28-2006, 07:50 PM
I have a s13 w/ a sr20det. Im pretty new to these engines.

Ive had a rough idle since I bought the car. It runs fine other than that, .....very strong, and smooth. Now, ....it doesnt miss all the time.

First off, when I start it in the morning, I have to hold it at about 2000rpms to keep it running, for about the first 15 seconds or so. After that, it idles on its own, but has an intermediate miss, that goes away once you give a little gas.The previous owner said it had a leaky injector, that was dumping fuel at idle, giving it a little miss.

I pulled the rail, and there were no leaks. I also put a timing light on it (w/ the tps unplugged) and it was about 10 degrees off (was about 1/4 in. past the last mark), so I set it at 15. I also cleaned my MAF (z32), but none of this helped the idle.

So, I sat in the car and started playing w/ my safc. I increased the fuel @1000 rpms by 25%, and now my cars idles/runs perfect!!!!!

Now, I know this is just a quick fix, and something still has to be off, or not right. The rest of the settings are untouched (zeroed out) on the safc. My question is, can my increased fuel, at idle, have any ill effects on my engine? Also, what else should I check, to solve my problem correctly?

BTW, My engine is stock, besides a t28, z32 maf, fmic, safc.

Jordan

thejester03
03-28-2006, 07:59 PM
TPS out of adj? mine was and it made it idle like poo...

NA4NOW
03-28-2006, 08:26 PM
I havent checked the tps it yet, ...thats a good idea, though. Do you, or someone, have a fsm they could send me?

I have new set of 550 cc injectors. I dont want to install them yet, untill I can make it idle right, using the factory injectors and no fuel correction. There is definately a small problem somewhere.

Still, ....Could running 25% fuel correction, at idle hurt anything besides maybe foul plugs.

Jordan

drifter808
03-28-2006, 09:28 PM
i think something is wrong with my tps so i have my safc set to around +30% at 1000 rpms. i've had it like tha for about 7 months and haven't had any problems.

NA4NOW
03-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Thats good to know. Ill have to check that tps, though.

Jordan

NA4NOW
03-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Just thought of something I forgot to mention, ......I have a hks bov, vented to the atmosphere and the previous owner set the dec. air, on my safc. If those settings are messed up, I wonder could that be my problem?????

And btw,.. since I set my timing and smoothed out the idle,this thing is a blast to drive! I cant wait to install my new injectors, rail, fpr, and crank my boost to 16-18lbs. :D

Jordan

CRZY_AZN
03-28-2006, 11:04 PM
does it start to stutter when you shift in to neutrual after u hit boost. cuz if thats it i had the same problem. i used my s-afc and fixed it here is the link that helped me do the settings. now it feels smoother and doesnt stutter anymore.
http://www.zeroyon.com/index/content/view/64/47/

NA4NOW
03-29-2006, 12:26 AM
It really only sputered when I was sitting, at idle. But Ill have to check the dec air settings tomorrow. Thanks for the link.

Tomorrow morning when the engine's cold, Ill have to see if it will idle on its own, since Ive adjusted the fuel correction.

Jordan

NA4NOW
03-29-2006, 09:45 AM
Little update.....I went out this morning, and cranked my car. It fired right up!, and did not require giving it throttle to keep in running.

Still, I still need to figure out why it needed 25% more fuel, to idle correctly.

Jordan