PDA

View Full Version : New Way To Steal Your Car

In The Works
03-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Got this in an email today. May shed some light on how these cars are coming up missing with no broken glass or skid marks.

Subject: Fw: New Way to Steal Your Car

Subject: VIN # info

You would think the Dealerships would require
verification first.
(Naw -- They just want to "serve the customer"so they
can make a buck.)

Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to
steal your car
or truck without any effort at all.

The car thieves peer through the windshield of your
car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on
the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a
duplicate key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at
Chrysler Dodge and
pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just
bring in the VIN #,
and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could
order the keyless
device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a
duplicate key from the
VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will
return to your car. He
doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the
vehicle, or draw
atention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to
your car, insert
the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your
vehicle.

You don't believe it? It IS that easy.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some
tape (electrical tape,
duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label
located on the
dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you
can cover it so
it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car
thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some
other car thief
steals another car or truck.

I slipped a 3 x 5 card over the VIN

Phlip
03-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Now what about those of us who drive 89s and are just plain shit outta luck when it comes to the stealership getting the key cut with the VIN

usdm180sx
03-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Wow that's clever. IIRC this only applies to cars made after a certain year. My key was all worn out so I went to the dealer and gave them the vin for my '93 s13 to get a new key but they couldn't pull it up. All they could do is sell me a blank so I bought a NISMO one.

On a different note, if you have a worn out key the original pattern can be reconstructed.

I went to my local locksmith and they actually "reconstructed" the original key pattern for my car before the key wore out (it was amazing, all they did was "read" the pattern on my worn out key) then they cut my NISMO key to that pattern. The key works PERFECT.

I think those guys schooled the "keymaster" from the matrix haha

Josh
03-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Doesn't work. All most all car dealerships require the title of the car to presented at the time or a key code along with the VIIN. The only way to get the key code is to call a number and give them A LOT of your information. Now if someone had the viin, your address, social, birthday, bank account number, phone number and a few other things THEN he would be able to get the key code and steal your ride.

I deal with this all the time becuase a small part of my job is managing a fleet of 300+ vehicles of all makes and models and the retards that drive around in them always lose their keys.

In The Works
03-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Doesn't work. All most all car dealerships require the title of the car to presented at the time or a key code along with the VIIN. The only way to get the key code is to call a number and give them A LOT of your information. Now if someone had the viin, your address, social, birthday, bank account number, phone number and a few other things THEN he would be able to get the key code and steal your ride.

I deal with this all the time becuase a small part of my job is managing a fleet of 300+ vehicles of all makes and models and the retards that drive around in them always lose their keys.

I agree that is what supposed to happen. But cashiers are supposed to check your ID when you use a credit card. How many times have you seen that not happen?

Josh
03-28-2006, 08:51 AM
I agree that is what supposed to happen. But cashiers are supposed to check your ID when you use a credit card. How many times have you seen that not happen?

There is a diffrence though, cashiers are not held liable if its not your card. The dealership can be sued to hell and back if they cut aq key to someone who is not the car owner.

The only way that someone could steal your car without smashing in is two ways. First you call a locksmith stating you locked yourself out (rarely works) or (most people dont know this) you someone push aside the metal piece in the lock and jam any key into the lock. I have opened dozens and dozens of cars with a paper clip and a random key.

koukidough
03-28-2006, 09:41 AM
that wont work, its too much of a hassle. Much easier to just steal it the old fashion way. Windows can always be peeled.

In The Works
03-28-2006, 10:37 AM
I made this because there has been a rash of thefts in the Va Beach, Va area where there is no broken glass on the ground and no drag marks like it is being drug onto a tow truck. Figured it would some people somewhere else to look.

koukidough
03-28-2006, 10:59 AM
peeled windows does not break glass. Therefore no sign of force. By the way Keyra is hot hot hot

ManoNegra
03-28-2006, 01:18 PM
lol...most of the s13 guys I know have replaced their cracked dashes.

In The Works
03-28-2006, 02:13 PM
lol...most of the s13 guys I know have replaced their cracked dashes.

huh? I Don't get

trsilvias13
03-28-2006, 02:50 PM
huh? I Don't get

replaced dashed (probably have vin # from donor car) so if you ask for keys u get key to donor car, not the car with the replace dash.

Plus asking dealership was done like about 5 years ago.. remember gone in 60 seconds? laser cut keys from germany. hahahah

just pay for it and key to car of desire

Maeda
03-28-2006, 02:50 PM
The vin would be different then, since its on the dash.

My roommate has found that many cars of the same make also share keys.

With his 90 something cressida key, we were able to open 2-3 cressidas in our area, and same goes for his odyssey key. I'm going to try the 240 key next and see what happens.

NOTE: We didn't steal anything we've done this on late night runs to Jack in the Box. Once in a while we get in the car and drive there and then realize we're driving somebody elses car but usually we open it up and sit down before we figure out somethings goofy.

!Zar!
03-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah same goes for the 240 key. We tried a few diffrent keys and lo and behold some of them worked.

When I lost the key to my 86, I used an accord key for a month.

Maeda
03-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Toyota's are the WORST when it comes to the key switcharoo.

That cressida key we used basically worked on another couple 86's as well as other cressidas.

overboosted
03-28-2006, 03:28 PM
hey guys,

on a side note about some keys working in other cars. dont forget about cavaliers and sunfire from 95-99, those keys interchange like crazy, me and my freind where at the mall during christmas, unlocked "his" car and he went to start the car and it wouldnt start, i looked at the stereo and it wasnt his deck.

needles to say we went on the j-body board and sure enough found a post that some keys interchange for the doors and some for the ignition key.
we never tryed it any further, but thats kinda scary. oh well i dont care tho, i dont drive a cavalier.

rob

projekt_s13
03-28-2006, 07:26 PM
lol i was doing that at the junk yard I opened 4 S13's, 2 200sx's,3 Maximas,1 Ford Thunderbird, 1 Ford Probe, and Some Funky looking truck with my stock 240 key.

alexchanman
03-28-2006, 07:36 PM
i opened a couple of audis and even a brand new RS6 (that thing is godly) with my friends audi a6 key,didnt try starting up though. great times with that key

aznpoopy
03-28-2006, 08:48 PM
how is this new? maybe new for 240sx owners.

integra type R owners and other honduh owners have been swapping locks to avoid this for years...

yes, dealerships do have rules for handing out keys... but it doesn't matter much if the thief has a buddy inside the dealership.

4thHorse
03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
My 86 key would only open the door to my friends aw11. His keys could open my door and start the car. His toyota truck key could only open the door. My other friend ae86 keys could open almost every toyota he tried as long as it was around the same year.

Ricks15
03-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Damn crooks never stop, Its sad how the innocent consumer has got to be atleast 3 steps ahead of car jackers but buying lots of security.

jdm538
03-28-2006, 09:15 PM
isnt it against the law to cover vin's i know someone that got a ticket for intentionally covering his vin.

In The Works
03-28-2006, 09:50 PM
isnt it against the law to cover vin's i know someone that got a ticket for intentionally covering his vin.

Someone said earlier on another board that he was on a ride along with a cop and they came accross this...the cop gave the owner a warning and stated that it is a felony.

In The Works
03-28-2006, 09:52 PM

integra type R owners and other honduh owners have been swapping locks to avoid this for years...

yes, dealerships do have rules for handing out keys... but it doesn't matter much if the thief has a buddy inside the dealership.

not neccesarily new....But you know how stuff kinda falls behind the times and gets forgotten about. Like I said earlier , I brought it up because there has been a rash of thefts here in the Va Beach area where people walk out and there car is just gone....No broken galss and no skid marks like it was drug away. I felt this might be an explanation

breakindrifts
03-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Well thats why you get additional anti-theft rather than the stock worn out lock. I got an alarm, and a pretty well hidden fuel-cut. I doubt anyone could steal my car in less than 30 minutes. Unless they tow it but who would? Its a pos

khmerguy618
03-29-2006, 12:11 AM
last time i lost a key they made me bring a pink slip for it. but i guess some dealerships don't give a F.

SochBAT
03-29-2006, 12:20 AM
I just use my hood stand to break into my own car.

works like a charm.

A Spec Products
03-29-2006, 12:29 AM
keys aint nuffin'

http://www.bobsgarageandtowing.com/images/flatbed_silver01.jpg

throw two fingas in the air

PEACE!

theicecreamdan
03-29-2006, 12:47 AM
I needed the title or registration and my driver's license to get a key cut from my VIN.

kazuo
03-29-2006, 12:54 AM

+1

This is old news in the Honda world. They trade lock sets with each other on the Internets, put electrical tape over their VINs when they park their cars, etc etc etc

Most dealerships will not cut a key without proof of ownership, but theres always ways around things, and some people are just plain lazy and dont care.

!Zar!
03-29-2006, 02:25 AM
Solex locks ftw?

crazyikimasho
03-29-2006, 12:15 PM
I needed the title or registration and my driver's license to get a key cut from my VIN.

Yes, CA state law. There is actually a form you fill out at dealerships now, they require proof of ownership (i.e. title, registration, etc) and gov't issued picture ID.