PDA

View Full Version : japantown in sf shutting down!!???

meteorite_flo
03-28-2006, 02:35 AM
http://www.savejapantown.com/

sign the petition if you care.

sw20>>s14
03-28-2006, 03:01 AM
thats rediculous...that place has so much culture and heritage...would anyone happen to know what the buyers plan to do with all that property?...im planning on signing and i hope the rest of you consider too...

!Zar!
03-28-2006, 03:25 AM
Isn't this a repost or something? I keep hearing about it and that stupid petition. That has about as much truth as california splitting into a north california and a south california. But ay, maby this time out of the other countless times it could really happen.

ALTRNTV
03-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Regional section.

koukidough
03-28-2006, 09:46 AM
i doubt something like that will happen

Eternal_240Sx
03-28-2006, 12:32 PM
I heard j-town was sold to someone else or is going to, but only if the new owner would keep it essentially the same.

trsilvias13
03-28-2006, 12:37 PM
It has been consider sold (to some company i think is called 3D), well the two hotels that is. I read in the newspaper that the buy will sit with the mayor and city committe in agreeing to hold the lease for X amount of years while perserving the japanese hertitage. NOw the mall and the theathre is another story.

FRpilot
03-28-2006, 12:42 PM
what is the buyer planning to do with japantown when he purchases it? make a parking lot out of it?

Andrew Bohan
03-28-2006, 01:42 PM
we should all pitch in and buy it. and make JDM TOWN. have a signal auto norcal shop there..and little drift track. it'll be hot.

but still have restaurants and kimono stores and other cool jdm shit like that.

SilviaDriver
03-28-2006, 01:56 PM
the guy who made that petition is in my class

he looks like the asian steve urcle

A Spec Products
03-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Nice.

I signed it, but not sure how well e-petitions do in the grand scheme of things.

I will most definitely always rep for my peoples though.

OptionZero
03-28-2006, 02:15 PM
what the fuck? i know there was trouble getting business there, they shut down the bowling alley a while ago...man

i guess it is deserted during the week (non-holidays)

!Zar!
03-28-2006, 02:24 PM
I vote for Andrew's idea on JDM land.

SilviaDriver: Petition for a JDM land and whomp on you classmate with this new idea.

I know I've vote for it.

downshift_sideways
03-28-2006, 02:28 PM
we should all pitch in and buy it. and make JDM TOWN. have a signal auto norcal shop there..and little drift track. it'll be hot.

but still have restaurants and kimono stores and other cool jdm shit like that.

i second that along with var. JDM TOWN FTW!

Maeda
03-28-2006, 02:29 PM
I vote for punching andrew in the head for comming up with JDM town.

Last couple times I went to japan town, I must've been the only japanese one there, and I didn't even notice there was any kind of japanese culture around...

Japanese people just don't congregate like that.

trsilvias13
03-28-2006, 02:47 PM
well there an actually real paper form petition you can sign. I think a lot of the resident who live around the area signed it. The district supervisor as well as the mayor are getting involve in the sale to try to put into the deal that the next owner perserve the japanese hertitage. If you really want to keep this place, go there and buy stuff. keep it busy. make it a local hang out with lots of jdm cars or whatever. support them somehow and show interest. You want to show the next buyer that there is a market for JDM stuff for them to keep it.

A Spec Products
03-28-2006, 03:42 PM

Last couple times I went to japan town, I must've been the only japanese one there, and I didn't even notice there was any kind of japanese culture around...

Yeah dude, we have Robotech and Voltron but we don't come together collectively as much as other ethnicities do unfortunately.

J Town Los Angeles is being revitalized right now fortunately, but yeah its tough to keep old school culture around.

Andrew Bohan
03-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Every time i've been to japantown i see japanese people there. and they have restaurants, jdm air fresheners, green tea ice cream, kimonos, jdm dvd's, hello kitty stationery, robot toys, etc.

what do you want, for it to be like chinatown, where's it's just block after block of touristy shops selling the same mass produced crap? gotta go up the alleys and side streets to find anything good. then there's portsmouth square, with hella old dudes chillin, but that's barely in chinatown.

SilviaDriver
03-28-2006, 06:12 PM
no point in signing the petition..he printed and turned it in already

kazuo
03-29-2006, 12:49 AM

Juan, at Frisco JDMTown, we have JDM people there like, hanging out and drinking coffee and reading newspapers and doing JDM stuff.

Pretty much like ALL of the businesses, with like literally one or two exceptions, are owned and operated by Japanese.

Anyway, last I heard, some company from Beverly Hills bought the hotels and said they'd keep the Japanese "themes," by which they mean the exterior and the lobby. They haven't said it publicly, but theyr'e prolly gonna change out all the rooms to a Western-style.

Sundance Theaters says theyre gonna buy the Kabuki and turn it into a art house, and nobody knows whats up with the malls.

The guys that bought the bowling alley razed it and built condos, so it doesnt look good.