PDA

View Full Version : Lexus LFA is go!

cali240sxdrifter
03-08-2006, 12:24 AM
http://www.japanesecarfans.com/photos/3050110.003/1019big.jpg
Report: Toyota Set to Launch Lexus $170,000 Supercar in 2008

Date posted: 03-06-2006

TOKYO — Toyota has secretly approved plans to put its sensational 200-mph Lexus LF-A supercar in the market, according to a report in Tokyo.

Japan's media are reporting that Toyota will launch a luxury sports car for the Lexus brand embracing F1 technology in fall 2008. The reports also say Toyota is pitching hard to bring the Japanese F1 Grand Prix to its newly refurbished Fuji Speedway track, which will help the company drive home the car's F1 connection.

The supersleek LF-A, as shown so far, has a 5.0-liter, front-mounted V10. However, with F1 engine regulations switching to V8, it raises the question whether Toyota will make that change on the LF-A as well. The fact that Honda is preparing a new V10 NSX for 2009 suggests Toyota will stick with the V10 so it won't lose out in the image war, and at the same time to hold firm to the LF-A's premium status.

The LF-A sticker is expected to be just under $170,000, a bargain by supercar standards.

Honda's contract to hold the F1 Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka expires this year. This has not escaped the attention of Toyota, which will be lobbying hard to stage the race at its own Fuji Speedway, near Tokyo. Honda, however, seems determined to fight to keep its F1 date. That raises the possibility of two F1 races in Japan, which sounds exciting!

What this means to you: Toyota, with cash to burn, puts the pedal to the metal with F1, both on the circuit and the road.

WILDACEX187
03-08-2006, 12:38 AM
170000? thats so far out of reach for some of us. hmm seems like the new gt-r will be falling behind on this one.

ALTRNTV
03-08-2006, 12:48 AM
^
Well, the GT-R is going to be $100,000 less than the LFA.

WILDACEX187
03-08-2006, 01:01 AM
so how much will the new nsx be going for? no more crowning title for the gt-r in japan? :(

m072514
03-08-2006, 10:46 AM
...and only 6 cylinders? c'mon we couldve at least gotten a TT V8. that woulda been badass...

exitspeed
03-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Hmmm, I can't wait to see a more production ready version. Between the NSX, GTR and this, things are going to get interesting.

trsilvias13
03-08-2006, 01:03 PM
how much will the new nsx will be going for?

WILDACEX187
03-08-2006, 01:11 PM
imagine that the nsx type r in japan is like around 70 grand if im not mistaken. add 4 more cylinders and maybe add 40 more grand

santacruisin
03-08-2006, 01:14 PM
What's with the turbines in the rear of the car. IT looks like it has two freakin jet engines. THis thing have afterburners or what?

As far as bargains for performance go the corvette zo6 still has all these new Japanese supercars dead to rights. On the JDM side, once Smoky Nagata gets his hands on the new GT-R there won't be any competition from the other manufacturers regarding performance to price. Whatever the case, it is interesting to see the new gen of top tier JDM vehicles.
Who has a link to the new NSX?

wootwoot
03-08-2006, 01:39 PM
Yes, the z06 has eliminated all competition to these cars that are not even manufactured yet...Beats them in everyway possible....What?.............
But really, when the fuck are the car companies going to cater to the poorish persons again? We need replica of the 240sx, of the old Celica; Honda could do a modifed s2000 to reach into the lower market, Mazda needs another rx7 or a Miata with a hatch. AR

I still think its ugly too.

Neejay
03-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Yeah, ugly to me. And I agree, when ARE they gonna start making affordable cars for the average auto industry? Lame.

And those turbines in the rear under the lights...WTF?

wootwoot
03-09-2006, 10:15 AM
^^^^ I have no idea what they do but if you peak at Lmp1(I think I got the name right..) cars in LeMans they have a similar set up

Neejay
03-09-2006, 10:19 AM
http://www.japanesecarfans.com/spyphotos/6051028.002/6051028.002.mini1L.jpg

drift freaq
03-09-2006, 10:31 AM
that car looks ugly. IMHO. You guys miss several points on the Nissan front. First off after adjustment for inflation the 350z today falls clearly into the price catagory as our 240sx's did back in 1990. Yup a 350z at is current pricing would have gone for the same price as the 240sx did. So its an amazing bang for the buck bargain. Now that aside Nissan has planned to do another Silvia and it has long been discussed here. We will see it in Japan and maybe here when they are ready.
On the GTR front, you all fail to realize that the GTR gots its fame from being a Giant killer. It was one third the price of a lot super cars, yet it could with a little tuning spank them, don't doubt this will be the situation with the New GTR.
Being a RB powered car owner, I can vouch for the fact that Nissan has routinely underated their horsepower figures on these cars. If Nissan is saying the new GTR will be a 500 HP twin turbo 3.2V6 expect it to put out somewhere in the possible range of 600HP with some tuning.
The current VQ 3.0 is the darling of Nismo right now as far as engines go. It brought home the JGTC title for Nissan in 2004 in a R34 in DETT setup. Do not underestimate the potential of a destroked twin turbo v6. I would be willing to bet the GTR will spank the Lexus for almost one third of its proposed price.

OptionZero
03-09-2006, 10:47 AM
No offense...but "with a little tuning" doesn't mean much, especially since GT-R mods aren't cheap by any stretch. The potential is undoubtedly there, but it's not like the GT-R is an "every man" car.

I could make similar claims about a simple 911 Turbo, with "a little tuning", it could spank anything

also, by a pure monetary conversion the 350z's current base price tag of $26ish thousand may fall in line with the approximately 20k price tag of the 240sx back in the day...but the 350z is currently the top of the line rwd nissan sports car, whereas the 240sx was the entry level rwd sports car with the 300zx as the top dawg in the lineup.

not trying to rain on the nissan parade here, but that whole post strikes me as waaay nissan-centric, especially since nissan hasn't even said what the GT-R's usdm powerplant will be exactly (3.2? 3.7? v8?)

sciamop
03-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Toyota sucks soooooooo bad.

Soon, Toyota will be the world's largest auto maker. Too bad all of their cars are BORING AS HELL. Here's a list of their 2-door 'sporty' cars:

Yaris: Weird looking and underpowered. If they dropped the 180hp 1.8L from the now-defunct Celica GTS in, it would be their only REAL performance car.
Scion tc: 160hp 2.4L FWD coupe. YUCK.
Solara: A Supra for middle-aged female real-estate agents that like tennis.
Tacoma X-Runner: Wow! It has a 240hp V6, RWD and a 6-speed MANUAL transmission. Wait, it's a truck. Grrrr.

How about burning up some of that cash with a car that has Z06 levels of performance for 350Z prices? How about a 2950lb swoopy 2-door RWD coupe with their new 3.5L V6 bored-out to 4.0L + performance-tuned hybrid system. They could call it 'Supra' or something like that...

Also, has anyone read about the new Camry? It is chock full of electronic nannies that YOU CAN'T TURN OFF! So much for actually using that sweet 3.5L 260hp V6!

With this sort of logic, LFA will make 900hp but you'll only be able to use 115hp at any given time.

Screw Toyota. The 2007 (or 2008) GTR will shit all over the LFA at less than half the price!

For the $170K price tag, I'd opt for a Porsche GT2 with some light mods. The LFA will go the way of the NSX -- great technical wonder, but the people that can actually afford it will buy Porsches and Ferraris.

not trying to rain on the nissan parade here, but that whole post strikes me as waaay nissan-centric, especially since nissan hasn't even said what the GT-R's usdm powerplant will be exactly (3.2? 3.7? v8?)

Carlos Ghosn actually gives a shit about performance. Toyota/Lexus Marketing Department cares about your 'lifestyle' -- The LFA will be a dud. Lexus should focus their efforts on the logistics of putting a Starbucks on wheels and sell that to their 'lifestyle enthusiasts'.

santacruisin
03-09-2006, 12:12 PM

Soon, Toyota will be the world's largest auto maker. Too bad all of their cars are BORING AS HELL. Here's a list of their 2-door 'sporty' cars:

Screw Toyota.

Yeah it sucks there ain't much good stuff comin out of Toyota nowadays, but I can't hate em cuz of what they gave us already. Hopefully Toyota will make enough money with their bread and butter cars to bring us something special in the future. Until then we got these old platforms to work with...just as many if not more than what nissan gave us.
Its funny but the sporty Toyota's are not always coupes. Don't forget these gems of days past...

I'm still wondering, what the hell is up with those rear turbines??!!??!!:wtf:

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/3956/soarer3en.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/7626/1193oridofront5fw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/70/carimg7ym.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7724/ueodrift7ov.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/5782/wtandblueracecare9ld.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/1438/festa1311ge.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

nismeaux
03-09-2006, 01:08 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say a couple of radiators are mounted in front of those openings and the things that look like turbines are electric fans.

sideview_180sx
03-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Toyota is doing good because they a catering to the widest spctrum. Or niche (performance market) is so miniscule, they let the aftermarket companies have it. Yet with Toyota releasing the scion (you-build-it) setup. Once again they have gotten the "aftermarket scene". Not everyone is wanting 400whp and super stiff ride. Most of the aftermarket is comprised of being lowered, wheels, and system.

What is really funny is that almost all of toyota's current line-up is literally the society in cali.

I would still take a porsche tho IMO, because you can bet on them day in and day out. and parts aren't ferrari priced and long waiting times. Plus a healthy aftermarket exists for the street and track owners.

Jcb890
03-09-2006, 02:58 PM

Yaris: Weird looking and underpowered. If they dropped the 180hp 1.8L from the now-defunct Celica GTS in, it would be their only REAL performance car.
Scion tc: 160hp 2.4L FWD coupe. YUCK.
Solara: A Supra for middle-aged female real-estate agents that like tennis.
Tacoma X-Runner: Wow! It has a 240hp V6, RWD and a 6-speed MANUAL transmission. Wait, it's a truck. Grrrr.

How about burning up some of that cash with a car that has Z06 levels of performance for 350Z prices? How about a 2950lb swoopy 2-door RWD coupe with their new 3.5L V6 bored-out to 4.0L + performance-tuned hybrid system. They could call it 'Supra' or something like that...

Also, has anyone read about the new Camry? It is chock full of electronic nannies that YOU CAN'T TURN OFF! So much for actually using that sweet 3.5L 260hp V6!

With this sort of logic, LFA will make 900hp but you'll only be able to use 115hp at any given time.

Screw Toyota. The 2007 (or 2008) GTR will shit all over the LFA at less than half the price!

For the $170K price tag, I'd opt for a Porsche GT2 with some light mods. The LFA will go the way of the NSX -- great technical wonder, but the people that can actually afford it will buy Porsches and Ferraris.

Carlos Ghosn actually gives a shit about performance. Toyota/Lexus Marketing Department cares about your 'lifestyle' -- The LFA will be a dud. Lexus should focus their efforts on the logistics of putting a Starbucks on wheels and sell that to their 'lifestyle enthusiasts'.

i agree with most of what you said except the part about creating a Z06-like performance-wise car for 350z prices... thats never going to happen and pretty assinine, but i agree with most of your other comments.

sciamop
03-09-2006, 04:29 PM
i agree with most of what you said except the part about creating a Z06-like performance-wise car for 350z prices... thats never going to happen and pretty assinine, but i agree with most of your other comments.

It's a nice pipe dream anyway, right? :)

Jcb890
03-09-2006, 04:45 PM

It's a nice pipe dream anyway, right? :)

definately. don't get me wrong, i'd love a Z06 for $500, but it aint gonna happen unfortunately ;)

wootwoot
03-09-2006, 07:09 PM
If I had to guess, I'd say a couple of radiators are mounted in front of those openings and the things that look like turbines are electric fans.

Why would the radiator be in the back of an FR? I just imagine its aerodynamic related

I just want a cheapish car that is FUN to drive. Mid 14's is fast enough for the street

nismeaux
03-10-2006, 07:14 AM
ah, it's FR... thought MR from the pic... pwned by reading

*edit* Although, after looking at pics of the front, the front openings are really small, and there are ducts behind the rear quarter windows and in front of the rear wheels. Maybe they did put radiators in the back for aerodynamic or other reasons.

Picture of the front at http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2005/2005-Lexus-LF-A-Concept-FA-1600x1200.jpg

WILDACEX187
03-10-2006, 09:53 AM
ah, it's FR... thought MR from the pic... pwned by reading

*edit* Although, after looking at pics of the front, the front openings are really small, and there are ducts behind the rear quarter windows and in front of the rear wheels. Maybe they did put radiators in the back for aerodynamic or other reasons.

Picture of the front at http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2005/2005-Lexus-LF-A-Concept-FA-1600x1200.jpg

hmm that doesnt look like 170k to me

drift freaq
03-10-2006, 10:22 AM
No offense...but "with a little tuning" doesn't mean much, especially since GT-R mods aren't cheap by any stretch. The potential is undoubtedly there, but it's not like the GT-R is an "every man" car.

I could make similar claims about a simple 911 Turbo, with "a little tuning", it could spank anything

also, by a pure monetary conversion the 350z's current base price tag of $26ish thousand may fall in line with the approximately 20k price tag of the 240sx back in the day...but the 350z is currently the top of the line rwd nissan sports car, whereas the 240sx was the entry level rwd sports car with the 300zx as the top dawg in the lineup.

No offense here either but here goes....

Ok statement one, a little tuning, ya a little tuning, twin turbo's hmm? Hey I can put a boost controller on that? Wow !! Thats going to allow me to tune more power out of the engine. Upgraded injectors? wow more fuel flow!! Drop a computer on it ? Hmmm more tuning!! Thats called a little tuning.

Ok on to your next statement!
GTR is not a everymans car, ya did you miss reading comp 101 you think that Lexus LFA is going to be a everymans car?? Hmmmm that is what the thread was about. Gee last time I checked a everymans car did not cost 170k.

Now for your last statement, you either forgot Nissan history or don't realize it. 240z was considered entry level in its day, adjusted for inflation it would be the same price of a 350z today. Nissan even said they wanted the 350z back to its roots and though it may be considered or stated as top of the line it still very much falls into the entry level catagory for sports cars, and is considered that in todays current sports car marketplace.
Ya your going to say Miata,right? Miata is one of the most affordable entry level sports cars. Evo's and STI's though catagorically do not qualify in the same sports car catagory as a 350z or a Miata so lets just not go there.
Nissan centric hell ya!! dude this is a Nissan forum last time I checked. If your not a tried and true Nissan lover maybe you should just sell your 240 oh wait? didn't you already do that and buy a Miata?

Nissan is and has been Japan's premier sports car company for years,its known as that in Japan. I know all you haters want to rain on the V6's but from a automotive standpoint they are excellent engines, and yes Nissan has stated they were going to use a V6 in the next GTR. Oh wait now your crying because its not a RB, Two points here while RB's are great they are technology. On top of that the first RB's were good but not an all out race engine out of the box like a RB26 was.
You are going to and actually already seeing that evolution going on with the VQ series in Japan. Oh wait you forgot, didn't you? The VQ30 is Nismo's main engine platform these days for performance and the won the JGTC with one in a R34. Oh wait didn't I already tell you that? Sorry I had to reiterate it. Oh ya doubt that last statement its on Nissans and Nismo's mission statement about current performance engines on the web.

OptionZero
03-10-2006, 11:04 AM
No offense here either but here goes....

Ok statement one, a little tuning, ya a little tuning, twin turbo's hmm? Hey I can put a boost controller on that? Wow !! Thats going to allow me to tune more power out of the engine. Upgraded injectors? wow more fuel flow!! Drop a computer on it ? Hmmm more tuning!! Thats called a little tuning.

Your point was that the GT-R with "a little tuning" could meet or beat more expensive cars. While that may be true, modifications are modifications. Comparisons of modified cars to stock cars are rarely relevant- for $70k, couldn't you build a 240sx that could beat a GT-R? Does that make my modded 240 a better car? hardly.

Modded vs. stock comparisons may be useful if you're actually planning to take those cars out and race your buddy...but for car shopping, that's probably not high on the concerns of most buyers. Furthermore, in the 70k or more range...how many people are worried about mods? There's a point of diminishing returns in satisfaction, i'd think...money's less of an issue up in that range.

You implied the GT-R's price advantage and tuning potential would automatically make the LF-A irrelevant. If that were true, Porsche would have driven Ferrari out of business long, long ago...yet it continues and thrives. Let's see what happens when the hypothetical Nissan and Toyota super cars come out.

Ok on to your next statement!
GTR is not a everymans car, ya did you miss reading comp 101 you think that Lexus LFA is going to be a everymans car?? Hmmmm that is what the thread was about. Gee last time I checked a everymans car did not cost 170k.

I never said the LFA was an everyman's car. I simply said the GTR wasn't one either (contrary to what you were implying, as I mentioned above).

Now for your last statement, you either forgot Nissan history or don't realize it. 240z was considered entry level in its day, adjusted for inflation it would be the same price of a 350z today. Nissan even said they wanted the 350z back to its roots and though it may be considered or stated as top of the line it still very much falls into the entry level catagory for sports cars, and is considered that in todays current sports car marketplace.

I was simply pointing out that the 240sx was the entry level car compared to the 300zx. As the 350Z is an evolution of the 300zx, I wanted to point out that Nissan was shifting the "Z" line towards the bottom rung of the sports car ladder....as it was when it was born. No need to get all worked up.

Ya your going to say Miata,right? Miata is one of the most affordable entry level sports cars. Evo's and STI's though catagorically do not qualify in the same sports car catagory as a 350z or a Miata so lets just not go there.

Not quite sure why you're so worked up. The Miata is a convertible, not even the same demographic as the 350z. The STi and EVO, however, are in the same price range but offer far more performance, and in the case of the EVO, tuning potential. The 350Z's curb weight AND power deficit are pretty glaring here, despite larger displacement and more cylinders...and a more ideal layout (FR versus 4WD). Now, I don't think the 350z and the rally cars are cross shopped...but on paper there is a performance gap thats got to be disappointing, unless you care only about the badge, not the car its attached to, leading to ...

Nissan centric hell ya!! dude this is a Nissan forum last time I checked. If your not a tried and true Nissan lover maybe you should just sell your 240 oh wait? didn't you already do that and buy a Miata?

I drive a Nissan, and I like this particular Nissan. There are also other Nissans I like, GT-R included, there are Nissans I don't like (all Maximas, latest Sentras, etc). I'd also like to think I can discuss cars without blindly promoting one "brand" over another simply for fanboy's sake. You're certainly not a mindless fanboi, and I don't even know if you're posting seriously or are inebriated some how, but...really, doesn't this remind you of Honda boys thinking "Type-R" cars can beat everything because they're honda and honda rules cuz honda has forumla1 and honda has vtec so my type-r can beat your silvia! That's really sad, and I HOPE one day we can ditch that type of thinking.

There are Miatas that can beat 240sx's on the track. There are STOCK Miatas that can be MODDED 240's on the track. Miatas are similarly cheap, with even cheaper "mods", such as wheels, tires, and suspension. So,...if you buy a Miata, are you stupid? If you sell your 240 owner for a Miata...should you be killed or something? At this point, it just sounds like you're ranting mindlessly man, and I know you're smarter than that, based on the products and technical knowledge you're known for on this board.

The rest about the VQ...not quite sure why you brought it up, but...ok, the VQ is great! I agree!

wootwoot
03-10-2006, 01:33 PM
I'd buy a 350z but I could not fit anything inside of it and it is to heavy. I want essentially a hatchback Miata.

OptionZero
03-10-2006, 01:47 PM
You'll get one.

It's called the Mazda Kabura, and from what it sounds like...it'll be the closest to a 240 in the new car market that'll be available.

RWD, lightweight (Miata or lighter), geared towards performance, possible turbo model or wankel down the road. Plus...Mazda knows how to make cars handle.

wootwoot
03-10-2006, 02:18 PM
^^^^ I read about that the other day actually and got very excited. Hopefully it will be popular enough to get all the other companies to kick themselves in the ass and then jump on the boat again. GM could do it very easily as well and make a lot of money; convertible version just does not offer enough space!

woodchuck
06-12-2007, 04:09 PM
"Rise from your Grave"

just an update.

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/june2007/2-spied-lf-a.jpg

http://images.leftlanenews.com/content/june2007/3-spied-lf-a.jpg

http://www.leftlanenews.com/lexus-lf-a-future.html

steve shadows
06-12-2007, 04:11 PM
thats pretty kick ass

HyperTek
06-12-2007, 04:37 PM
hahah to all thsoe people who said "its soo ugly" in the prior posts from last year

i think tis thing is nice.. looks like a GT class race car.

Evil240
06-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Yes, the z06 has eliminated all competition to these cars that are not even manufactured yet...Beats them in everyway possible....What?.............
But really, when the fuck are the car companies going to cater to the poorish persons again? We need replica of the 240sx, of the old Celica; Honda could do a modifed s2000 to reach into the lower market, Mazda needs another rx7 or a Miata with a hatch. AR

I still think its ugly too.

there seems to be a lot of hype about the z06... i'll have to admit.. its a very nice car, handles very nice... but its not THAT great. its 500hp v8 engine is mighty impressive and all, but the car itself (interior) looks like arse... no style.. doesnt even look sporty.

hands down.. i would take a v6 450hp tt over a 500hp v8 (especially if the gtr is awd)

vid of the z06 vs. s204 vs. murcielago vs. ztune r34 (r34 lost)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgWGYsMClKo

BC240
06-14-2007, 06:23 PM
I just got a Job at Toyota, I wonder what the employee discount is on that badboy

exitspeed
05-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Another update. Lexus says the LFA could be $225,000! I like Nissan's approach personally.

SANTA MONICA, California — After three auto show appearances and the occasional spy photo and video from Germany's high-speed Nürburgring test circuit, it's no secret that the Lexus LF-A supercar concept is headed for production. With an estimated 500 horsepower coming from the LF-A's 5.0-liter V10, we didn't expect the Lexus to come cheap, but Inside Line has learned that the car will carry a price tag over $200,000.

A Lexus source in Japan told Inside Line the price for the carbon-fiber supercar may be as high as $225,000.

Shown in both coupe and roadster forms, the LF-A will first launch as a coupe. Roadster versions will be priced even higher. Both body styles are approximately 2 inches shorter and an inch narrower than the 483-hp Ferrari F430, with a similarly sized wheelbase. A 2007 Ferrari F430 Spider costs $211,525.

Although final specifications have not yet been released, Lexus says the LF-A will reach a top speed over 200 mph.

What this means to you: Lexus is gunning for the Italians with the LF-A, and it's not going to cut any corners in its quest to deliver a legitimate supercar. — Kelly Toepke, News Editor

kyoru
05-21-2008, 01:54 PM
I feel really iffy about Lexus trying to take Ferrari and Porsche head on, good luck to em, but I just don't see it being to successful.

exitspeed
05-21-2008, 03:06 PM
I feel really iffy about Lexus trying to take Ferrari and Porsche head on, good luck to em, but I just don't see it being to successful.

Yea, that's why I like Nissan's approach. They left out some of elegance and extras of a $225,000 car, and made performance the #1 priority, and delivered an automotive miracle at a fraction of the price.

Sure they have the matching luggage, and other douche baggery items. But that's not what they are using to sell the car.

stiizy
05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
and plus that lexus is ass ugly

lflkajfj12123
05-21-2008, 03:49 PM
wait i thought the fit is go?

drift freaq
05-21-2008, 04:07 PM
ok From the pics it looks like Toyota bit a bit off the Z and the GTR and tried to throw in some cues from the 2000GT. Overall for 200k + I would take the Ferrari. I am sorry but nothing displaces the Ferrari. That Lexus is kinda ugly too and not in a positive way. Its almost like they were taking the same approach design wise that they did with the second gen Scion XB. LOL give me a Ferrari and a GTR and I am a happy camper.

OptionZero
05-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I presume there will be a Supra successor as well, right? They could use the GS430's V8 (hybrid or not...), less CF in the chassis, price it below $100k and fight the GTR.

I can't imagine why you'd get an LF-A instead of a DB9 or F430.

MikeisNissan
05-21-2008, 07:48 PM
This is supposed to be superior to the GT-R.

OptionZero
05-21-2008, 07:50 PM
it better be for more than double the projected price

Mi Beardo es Loco
05-21-2008, 08:04 PM
2 words: status car. Other than that the GT-R is superior in drivability. It might just be me but I would find it VERY hard to drive a $225,000 car no matter how much money I had. An $80,000 car is a little easier to put the miles on though. Plus, you could bash on the GT-R if you had the money to get either.

muddafakka
05-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a giant electric shaver? It's a status car alright. Rich farts, their clueless wives, their spoiled kids, and their douchebag friends are gonna be driving these for sure. I don't expect a lot of true enthusiasts to purchase one. While they may impress the lesser-rich, they aren't impressing owners of Ferrari, Lamborghini, or any of those of those other top marques. They'll (well some anyways) all mock them, calling them fools for spending so much on a "Toyota". Some of them mock Corvettes and their owners, one can only imagine what they'll say about the LF-A. And even if I had that kinda money, fuck shelling out $225K for a Lexus. There are so many other better alternatives out there that I'd rather have. Like someone said earlier, F430, DB9,etc. Toyota is not the brand they used to be and the LF-A doesn't do much to change my opinion on that. When they stop concentrating so much on those lame ass Camrys and start making affordable sport compacts/sports cars again that aren't gay like the TC, maybe then I'll be more interested.

drift freaq
05-21-2008, 08:36 PM
This is supposed to be superior to the GT-R.

I would tend to agree with Option that for 225k it better be superior. Though you fail to see a very plain problem with this whole concept. Lets go back 15 some odd years. 1992.... Nissan has the 300ZXTT costing almost 40k new. Toyota has the Supra in the same price range. Mazda has the RX7 not far behind in pricing. All are doing terrible in sales.
Why? Not because they were all pretty damn cool cars for their niches. No its because the buying public is not ready to swallow a Japanese Sports car costing 35-40k or more.
Results? RX7 gets discontinued within two years as does Supra and Z32 within 4. Only reason Nissan and Toyota hung around longer is the companies were larger than Mazda and could hang onto dragging sales a little longer.
Oh and yes I did not mention the NSX but if it were not for Honda being able to absorb the costs of that car by selling so damn many Civics and whatnot.
Oh and in 1992 NSX's were going begging at 25k wholesale( ya I almost bought one).

Now fast forward to now. Nissan has just knocked the socks of the Supercar world and the car industry in general with the GTR! At the price it bows at its a instant hit and is limited production. So they are selling out every single last one slated for the first year production. At a cool 70k dealer invoice with dealer markups going to upwards of 100k I might add.

At this time the buying public is already willing to pay 30-40k for Japanese sports cars and up to 100k for a Japanese Supercar. Though asking them to pay Ferrari and Lamborghini, Maseratti, Porsche Turbo ,Aston Martin DB9, etc.. prices for a Lexus exotic? Not going to happen.

The beauty of the GTR besides being dope and not looking bad is the fact thats its affordable and kicks ass on a lot of those cars listed. So who in the hell would want to spend 225k for Lexus that might be on par maybe a litte better at twice the cost? That does not hold the prestige of the aforementioned cars(excluding the GTR)? Not many.

Like I said earlier if I was going to spend that kind of money on a car it would be a Ferrari. Something that just holds a mystique and class and is just a instant classic, that could possibly rise in Value.
The only way the LFA will rise in Value is as a collectors item due to possible limited production runs because of it being a exorbitantly priced Toyota.

Now I know you will try and come back with a comment about the GTR being expensive for a Nissan. Though there is a difference. The GTR has long term heritage to bank on, history! On top of that a R34GTR in Japan in the late 90's was a 50-60k car already. So the pricing of the GTR is really not out of line.

I won't say this is a complete fail for Toyota but I will say they are taking some big chances with not a lot of History or pricing to back it up with. Its not a Supra.

OptionZero
05-21-2008, 08:51 PM
the only benefit i can see is that the "Lexus" brand has already been established in the 50-80k range range

going from sub40K nissans to a GTR is probably an anomaly that rested on the gtr name and ridiculously unexpected performance

while lexus is starting out "ahead" in terms of what people are already paying for it...225k means competing with Lambo, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc

and lexus hasn't been known for sportiness...well...ever

even the fuckin IS-F doesn't come with a true stick

drift freaq
05-21-2008, 09:57 PM
the only benefit i can see is that the "Lexus" brand has already been established in the 50-80k range range

going from sub40K nissans to a GTR is probably an anomaly that rested on the gtr name and ridiculously unexpected performance

while lexus is starting out "ahead" in terms of what people are already paying for it...225k means competing with Lambo, Ferrari, Aston Martin, etc

and lexus hasn't been known for sportiness...well...ever

even the fuckin IS-F doesn't come with a true stick

Well fact is Nissans were already topping out at close to 40k . Now the arguement before the GTR came out was to bring it out under the Infiniti badge for that very reason. Infiniti's were already selling in the 50-80k range as well.
Your statement about the the GTR's ridicously unexpected performance though I find fault with. Fact is R34's were already well established as Performance monsters and known for giving high profile Supercars a run for their money already. Therefor the GTR's performance I do not think was unexpected. In fact Nissan knew they had to top the R34GTR and people like I expected nothing less.

I know you like to doubt stuff Option so I am not surprised at your statement but there were a lot of people in the Performance car world expecting Nissan to pull this off.

That all aside, If Lexus were to bring the LFA in at say 125k I think they would sell it and have a possible real winner. That it being a Super Exotic for half the cost much like the GTR being a Super Car at slightly less than half the cost.

Though even though Lexus has the name both you and I agree 225k? Forget it. Lexus as a Sports car company? Let alone Super Exotic? kind of a reach. You could say they are trying to be the Mercedes Benz of Japan were as Nissan/Infiniti is the BMW.

OptionZero
05-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Are people "like you" the majority?

Having never had the GT-R, i can't imagine that most people in america "expected" the GT-R's performance or knew anything about the R34's performance except through hearsay.

I know you like to pump up Nissan at every opportunity so I am not surprised at your statement but there were alot oif people in the real world who did not expect Nissan to pull this off.

Toyota as the money to do anything they want, but up till now they've never wanted to build cars to go fast. They're setting their sights pretty high.

Omarius Maximus
05-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Hmmmm, a rediculously expensive/ugly/soulless Lexus or this:

http://www.exoticarhire.co.uk/images/aston-dbs1.jpg

http://www.33rebels.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/aston-martin-dbs-dash.gif

Yeah, that's an incredibly tough decision....

02BRB20
05-21-2008, 11:21 PM
^Aston Martins are about as useless as Maseratis

bleh.

OptionZero
05-21-2008, 11:28 PM
um
no

thats sex on wheels

Nachtmensch
05-21-2008, 11:37 PM
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/lexus-lf-a-race-version-001.thumbnail.jpg
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/lexus-lf-a-race-version-003.thumbnail.jpg
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/lexus-lf-a-race-version-004.thumbnail.jpg

i wish they wouldnt aim so high... just aim around the GTR price and performance and everyone would be much happier.

EDIT: the roadster on the lexus site looks good!

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_a_roadster.html

cuddlesthesheep
05-21-2008, 11:53 PM
i dunno i think the LF-A coupe is one sext bitch.

but god i was hoping for a price tage of around 150K or less

infinitexsound
05-22-2008, 12:48 AM
ferrari or lf-a??? ferrari has history and beezies love the red....ferrari wins...
lf-a looks like a suped up lotus... eh...

drift freaq
05-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Are people "like you" the majority?

Having never had the GT-R, i can't imagine that most people in america "expected" the GT-R's performance or knew anything about the R34's performance except through hearsay.

I know you like to pump up Nissan at every opportunity so I am not surprised at your statement but there were alot oif people in the real world who did not expect Nissan to pull this off.

Toyota as the money to do anything they want, but up till now they've never wanted to build cars to go fast. They're setting their sights pretty high.

Oh I knew even though you agreed with me for the most part you would come out swinging. LOL . You are really showing how blind or uninformed you can be.
Excuse me but there are a lot of enthusiasts out there that know all about the GTR. People that have known about the GTR's for years. You really need to leave the Grey Area and experience the World.

Your blind assumption that enthusiasts in America did not know about the GTR is as ignorant as that jack ass Dan Neil that writes for the LA Times. Who tried to get a gig on the soon to be American version of Top Gear. Ya they rejected him.
Oh and the fact that only 1500 were slated for American shores pretty shows the only people buying them are enthusiasts that know.
Oh and the world does not only exist in the U.S. lots of people outside the U.S. knew about previous GTR's.

Also your blind assumption that I am pumping Nissan for the sake of pumping Nissan shows that you assume to much about people and things. I clearly stated early I would take a Ferrari. Fuck I happen to love Ferrari's.

Fact is Nissan is a sporting car company and Toyota is more a family/luxury company. I have nothing against Toyota or their build quality I was pointing out facts but you had to make it personal.
I just feel that Toyota trying to sell a 225k Super Car under the Lexus badge name and sell one period is somewhat ludicrous.
Maybe, since your acting like such not a fan of Nissan, you should sell your S14 and shut up.

OptionZero
05-22-2008, 01:40 AM
omg the AMERICAN version of top gear rejected someone? u mean the same show Jay leno didn't want any part of? SNAP! damn, i think i'll stop discussing this with you because i'm defeated. Shoot. I'm dropping out of school, crawling to the nissan dealership and pray that they'll let me wash cars for them.

i'm not a fan of nissan. i just happen to like the particular one that i have (usually). I'm not a brand guy. I'll diss a bad car by any brand, i'll praise a good car by and brand. You're calling me out for being a bad fan of something I've never claimed to be a fan of? Really?

You've proved my point exactly by saying enthusiasts knew about the GTR. Enthusiasts are, by definition, those more enthusiastic than "normal", hence they are not "everyone", or even "the majority". Yuri and exitspeed will tell you that the "sports car" buying category of people is actually...well...not that big, and of those, the number that actually really cares about performance is smaller.

That only 1500 were brought over supports nothing. Why not 1501? why not 1502, or 2000, or 2500? Because Nissan's own marketing and resource suits determined that thats how many they could sell for their target price. If anything, it proves the limited extent to which Nissan felt its GTR badge could carry it.

If Nissan thought they could sell 5000 GTRs here...wouldn't they? I've never known them to not want to make money.

Really, I have nothing against Nissan or the GTR, or anything against you personally...merely what I perceive to be a Nissan bias.

Sure, I might have been a bit sarcastic with my response, but you'll notice I never told you to sell your car or insulted you directly. I am just pointing out what I see in your posts. You, on the other hand, reacted to my post on the GTR by attacking me personally.

Telling, isn't it?

You're a Nissan fan. We get it. Move along.

infinitexsound
05-22-2008, 02:19 AM
calm down....... geezus................

OptionZero
05-22-2008, 02:24 AM
it was just too easy to tweak him

short of a poll that was conducted of the country on who thought the gtr would be good, we're just dicking around about nothing

Omarius Maximus
05-22-2008, 04:01 AM
omg the AMERICAN version of top gear rejected someone? u mean the same show Jay leno didn't want any part of? SNAP! damn, i think i'll stop discussing this with you because i'm defeated. Shoot. I'm dropping out of school, crawling to the nissan dealership and pray that they'll let me wash cars for them.

i'm not a fan of nissan. i just happen to like the particular one that i have (usually). I'm not a brand guy. I'll diss a bad car by any brand, i'll praise a good car by and brand. You're calling me out for being a bad fan of something I've never claimed to be a fan of? Really?

You've proved my point exactly by saying enthusiasts knew about the GTR. Enthusiasts are, by definition, those more enthusiastic than "normal", hence they are not "everyone", or even "the majority". Yuri and exitspeed will tell you that the "sports car" buying category of people is actually...well...not that big, and of those, the number that actually really cares about performance is smaller.

That only 1500 were brought over supports nothing. Why not 1501? why not 1502, or 2000, or 2500? Because Nissan's own marketing and resource suits determined that thats how many they could sell for their target price. If anything, it proves the limited extent to which Nissan felt its GTR badge could carry it.

If Nissan thought they could sell 5000 GTRs here...wouldn't they? I've never known them to not want to make money.

Really, I have nothing against Nissan or the GTR, or anything against you personally...merely what I perceive to be a Nissan bias.

Sure, I might have been a bit sarcastic with my response, but you'll notice I never told you to sell your car or insulted you directly. I am just pointing out what I see in your posts. You, on the other hand, reacted to my post on the GTR by attacking me personally.

Telling, isn't it?

You're a Nissan fan. We get it. Move along.

I agree 100 percent. Some of you guys need to expand your horizons. Nissan is not the end all, be all.

exitspeed
05-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Damn you guys don't say shit all day until I go home for the night! I missed the whole convo. :)

I agree with dc2_lsvtec, that I don't think they should be aiming so high. I think the $125k range is much more realistic. For that price it's OK that it out performs the GTR (if it even does), and is dripping with more luxury amenities. Add in mark-up during the first couple years and they'll be going for say $150k-$175k.

I wonder if this will nudge Nissan/Infiniti into making an Infiniti flagship supercar based on the GTR. The last comment I read from Ghosn the new Q will be THE flagship of the brand, and a GTR based Infiniti was not planned. At least so he says. I think it'll depend on the immediate success of the LFA. It would take hardly anything for Nissan to our on the luxury do-dads, charge $125k. I think that would be a great way to again undercut Toyota/Lexus.

stiizy
05-22-2008, 08:50 AM
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/lexus-lf-a-race-version-001.thumbnail.jpg
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/lexus-lf-a-race-version-003.thumbnail.jpg
http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/lexus-lf-a-race-version-004.thumbnail.jpg

i wish they wouldnt aim so high... just aim around the GTR price and performance and everyone would be much happier.

EDIT: the roadster on the lexus site looks good!

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_a_roadster.html

Like i said for before i rather have an R8 than this ugly shit and save money!!

OptionZero
05-22-2008, 11:43 AM
i think the R8 has a pretty flawed exterior design, the cab is swept too far foward; eiither the nose needs to be longer or the rear hacked shorter.

The LFA looks like squared off, modern Supra shape, which is more or less what they were shooting for, I suppose. Its not as bold as the GTR, more conservative FR design.

eastcoastS14
05-22-2008, 11:51 AM
it looks like a tiburon for some reason

ronmcdon
05-22-2008, 11:52 AM
that's very expensive. it'll prob be a good as a halo car and nothing else.

Matej
05-22-2008, 01:10 PM
It won't sell until it has three TV's and plenty of cup holders, only celebrities buy supercars.

exitspeed
05-27-2008, 03:56 PM
So it's confirmed the LFA will be a V10.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/27/spy-shots-lexus-lf-a-snapped-post-crash-more-details-revealed/

And it crashed at the first race at the Ring over the weekend. Also had an oil leak. Best time was 9:19.757 in 106 laps.

Sorry Toyota but GTR>...

OptionZero
05-27-2008, 04:34 PM
I wonder if it'll be totally misguided like the SC430, an ugly boat of a thing lacking any sporting qualities

Its $200k, if it's running 9 minute lap times at the 'ring, they have work to do

exitspeed
08-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Well guys...some bad news if you were looking forward to this car.

DEAD! (http://www.autoilluminati.com/?p=227)

stiizy
08-28-2008, 11:36 AM
^^ Good write up oh well we dont need it...

sub9lulu
08-28-2008, 11:52 AM
not like i have 225k spare change for a toyboata anytime soon

Taniguchi_Is_#1
08-28-2008, 12:17 PM
they missed economic and environmental window by 2 years. oh well, doesn't matter. you'd have people up in arms about paying 225K for a toyota, God forbid.

drift freaq
08-28-2008, 12:34 PM
it was just too easy to tweak him

short of a poll that was conducted of the country on who thought the gtr would be good, we're just dicking around about nothing

You didn't tweak me, I enjoy debate, LOL. I just pointed out your bias against most things Nissan. You just assume shit about me without even being bright enough to know the half of it. Its ok I forgive you. LOL In the end the LFA has been cancelled. I say thats good it was way overpriced. Oh and if you think I don't have criticism for Nissan well then your not as smart as the credit I was giving you for. Have a nice life option and keep on hating.

Oh and if you really think I am only a fan of Nissan? You really need to stop commenting to me, because I like a lot of cars, but guess what? this is a Nissan forum! Wow and you thought that most people on here would not be praising or liking Nissans? LOL

PhAtXSuMo
08-28-2008, 12:37 PM
this is pretty neat i remember seeing the LFA as a concept back when i was in 8th grade which was at least 4 -5 years ago

s13dan
08-28-2008, 01:02 PM
one more car i can only dream about :(

exitspeed
08-28-2008, 01:12 PM
this is pretty neat i remember seeing the LFA as a concept back when i was in 8th grade which was at least 4 -5 years ago

Wow, this post just bows my away...and makes me feel old.

axiomatik
08-28-2008, 02:44 PM
not surprising. Toyota is utterly incapable of building an interesting vehicle.

exitspeed
08-28-2008, 02:45 PM
not surprising. Toyota is utterly incapable of building an interesting vehicle.

We're not the only ones who think this either:

Former Nissan racer, NSX development driver and Nurburgring legend Motoharu "Gan-san" Kurosawa reckons, "Toyota are good at making money, but they're no good at making sports cars."

ESmorz
08-28-2008, 02:47 PM
The GT-R is like the X-Box 360 of Japanese supercars. Out early with great performance. But will it be able to maintain it's lead? jaja

blueshark123
08-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Well guys...some bad news if you were looking forward to this car.

DEAD! (http://www.autoilluminati.com/?p=227)

that car on the top of the head of that page looks like yuri's car is it ???

exitspeed
08-28-2008, 02:52 PM
that car on the top of the head of that page looks like yuri's car is it ???

It is his car.

WanganRunner
08-28-2008, 03:28 PM
They definitely pulled this because it can't compete with the GT-R.

I imagine that Honda IS capable of releasing an NSX that will beat the GT-R, although it's going to probably cost double what the GT-R does.

They also, quite obviously had to revise their ideas once the GT-R's Ring times were made public, I bet that came as an unpleasant shock to them.

exitspeed
10-20-2009, 03:16 PM
This thing has been on again off again more times then a $2 prostitute, but here it is in all of it's production glory.

VIDEO: Lexus LF-A breaks cover before Tokyo unveiling — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/20/video-lexus-lf-a-breaks-cover-before-tokyo-unveiling/#continued)

The LCD Gauge cluster is sick. Other then that the styling is too over the top for me. I do see some Supra hidden in there here and there.

SimpleS14
10-20-2009, 03:41 PM
At first I was like "whoever bump this thread better have good info" lol

Sounds nice and that LCD is gro$$ (meaning its nice lol)

The car doesn't look too bad IMO

edit: I'll take mine in Satin black please

kingkilburn
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
I hope it's fast because it is ugly as hell.

ronmcdon
10-20-2009, 05:00 PM
I agree it's a bit too flashy.
What I find most unsettling is the aftermarket looking front bumper.
The HUGE gap between the hood and the front bumper is also annoying.
The air vent close to the B-pillar is just offensive.
Overall, the front almost resembles a Celica with a poor fitting body-kit.

The rear looks cool though.
I love the exhaust pipes and tailights.
rear wing seems well integrated.
The ass is also muscular & aggressive (can see the resemblance to the Supra here).
Wheels are nice.

Overall the car is kinda generic looking.
It's not breaking any new aesthetic grounds, and nor is it particularly good looking.
It's sporty, but not classy.

This isn't a bad looking car,
BUT it's going to have trouble competing (in the US at least) if the price isn't right.
At GTR price levels, and limited numbers, it will probably do well under $100k.
Anything above that, the number of auto enthusiasts who can afford something like this (and opt out of the usual alternatives, like Porsche, Vette, etc), is going to be slim.

Good effort nonetheless, and I hope it'll be promising.
Kinda wish Toyota would focus more on a fun car within the $20k-$40k range.
Maybe that's why they purchased a larger stake in Subaru, idk.

drift freaq
10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Wow its got late model Celica written all over it. LOL am I the only that noticed those design characteristics? It will probably win some followers but to me its seems like it takes from other cars already out. I.E. hints of a GTR front combined with a Celica front. Rear completely has late model Celica shape. In fact I see more cues to the last Celica rather than the Supra itself.

Decent effort and sleek but unless its under 100k, who is going to bother beyond straight hard core Toyota heads? Who I actually know of who would want it because its a Toyota.

axiomatik
10-20-2009, 05:43 PM
ahhh, bout time toyota grew some balls. styling's not perfect, but at least it doesn't use the same fugly styling cues they slather onto everything else they make. cluster is sick.

kingkilburn
10-20-2009, 06:59 PM
It looks like to much of a hodgepodge to me.

For instanse the R8 rear vents.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/03-lfa-miami-spy-shots.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/m/U/Audi_R8_rear.jpg

And I know I've seen those vents some where.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/10/02-lfa-miami-spy-shots.jpg

ronmcdon
10-20-2009, 07:15 PM
pics of Celica.
I see the resemblance in the front,
maybe not the rear.

God that was an ugly car.

http://www.autoincar.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/toyota_celica.jpg

http://gtsnet.us/images/Car/Celica-Rear-CW.jpg

SimpleS14
10-20-2009, 07:28 PM
wow...looking at this picture, the gap between the hood and bumper is horrid.

Lexus Lf A 0 — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/lexus-lf-a-0/full/#9)

^-- More pics in that gallery

deolio
10-20-2009, 07:58 PM
i hate it. the body styling is just all over the place.

S13shaka
10-21-2009, 06:18 AM
The pricetag according to Lexus is going to be around $350,000

SimpleS14
10-21-2009, 07:08 AM
The pricetag according to Lexus is going to be around $350,000

$375,000 :tweak:

Tokyo 2009: Lexus reveals $375,000 LFA supercar...finally [w/VIDEO] — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/21/lexus-lfa-tokyo-2009/)

That exhaust note is zOMG

exitspeed
10-21-2009, 08:41 AM
$375 is too much IMO. I'm sure they will sell plenty but I'd rather have a GTR and save over $200,000.

ronmcdon
10-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah, it's a Toyota.
375k is going to be a stretch.
It's tough imagining any rich dude shopping between a Ferrari & a Toyota.

The R35 GTR is very reasonable and priced much more realistically.

drift freaq
10-21-2009, 11:41 AM
$375 is too much IMO. I'm sure they will sell plenty but I'd rather have a GTR and save over $200,000.

Ditto on this statement. They are doomed at that price tag. They are doomed even at 200k. This car is going to go down in the annals of history just like the 2000GT, while it was a great car, it was way over priced and did not sell.

A few people will buy it to be different though like others have said in the that price range? There are cars with so much more prestige its just silly.

ranger240
10-21-2009, 11:51 AM

that will buy you a ferrari 430 and a GTR daily driver...

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Carl%20Jarrett/FERRARI458/ferrari_458_01.jpg

http://fastcarsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/2009_nissan_gtr_11.jpg

hemmm or some goofy looking lexus

http://www.aboyd.com/merrick/images/elepman5.jpg

exitspeed
10-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Ditto on this statement. They are doomed at that price tag. They are doomed even at 200k. This car is going to go down in the annals of history just like the 2000GT, while it was a great car, it was way over priced and did not sell.

A few people will buy it to be different though like others have said in the that price range? There are cars with so much more prestige its just silly.

I personally don't see anyone thinking this as being better then a Ferrari or Lambo. Lexus still has that "expensive Toyota" stigma about it. An expensive Toyota is fine up to $150k IMO, but nearly $400,000 is just nuts. And from the sounds of it it's not even going to be as fast as a GTR.

Toyota did right on the TF86, but the price on the LFA is just absurd.

SimpleS14
10-21-2009, 12:07 PM

Maybe this car will be just as rare as the 2000GT.

I see a collectible in the making. :keke:

ranger240
10-22-2009, 11:37 AM
awesome topgear article

Welcome to Tokyo 2009, the first post-crunch motor show.

So, what was here for the petrolhead in us? Well, the Lexus LFA got its public launch and you might think such extravagance was unwarranted in these tight times. But actually this thing is strictly an image builder for Lexus. They’ll lose money on every one they make. So it’s better for them to launch it at a time when they won’t sell many, and that way they lose less money in total. Bizarre.

Tokyo motor show news - Post-crunch motor show - 2009 - BBC Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/post-crunch-motor-show-2009-10-22?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ongoing)

BONUS:

make your own UGLY LFA

http://ww2.lexus-lfa.com/index.html

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/lexus-lfa-configurator-2009-10-22?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=ongoing

post up pics of your ugliest creations

meteorite_flo
10-23-2009, 05:55 AM

that will buy you a ferrari 430 and a GTR daily driver...

hemmm or some goofy looking lexus

Dude, I am so with you on that. All my friends think this car is the shit, and they're going to get on me saying, "OH!? Because it's not a Nissan huh?" Like WTF!? I will assume it performs well(it better for 375k), but that shit is buttfuck UGLY.

axiomatik
10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Kind of repeating what I posted on aAutoblog...

$375k is totally unrealistic. Even though they are only building 500 of them, they are going to have trouble selling them outside of Japan. For that kind of money, why wouldn't I buy a Ferrari, Aston or Lambo? Brands that have long and storied histories of building sports and racing cars. Lexus has a history of building Japanese Buicks. Acura could barely sell the NSX at $90k, trying to compete against the 911 in a much larger market. The LFA is obviously more advanced than the NSX, but it's priced in serious supercar territory, where the only buyers are the super-rich. People who are very image and brand concious.

I think Toyota realizes how hard it will be to sell them. That's why they have capped production at 500. That way, if they sell all of them, they've artificially lowered the supply in hopes of maintaining it's collectability. If it's a flop, they can say they never meant to sell many. I'll be curious to know if they ever sell all 500.

drift freaq
10-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Kind of repeating what I posted on aAutoblog...

$375k is totally unrealistic. Even though they are only building 500 of them, they are going to have trouble selling them outside of Japan. For that kind of money, why wouldn't I buy a Ferrari, Aston or Lambo? Brands that have long and storied histories of building sports and racing cars. Lexus has a history of building Japanese Buicks. Acura could barely sell the NSX at $90k, trying to compete against the 911 in a much larger market. The LFA is obviously more advanced than the NSX, but it's priced in serious supercar territory, where the only buyers are the super-rich. People who are very image and brand concious.

I think Toyota realizes how hard it will be to sell them. That's why they have capped production at 500. That way, if they sell all of them, they've artificially lowered the supply in hopes of maintaining it's collectability. If it's a flop, they can say they never meant to sell many. I'll be curious to know if they ever sell all 500.

500 gets them into racing under homgolation rules . I.E. they build 500 they can take the car racing in Super GT(I think that's the new name) aka what used to be JGTC.
It would also allow them into the American Le Mans series etc...

American Le Mans is were you see cars like the Spyker and Panoz( I have only ever seen one on the road and I have pics of it because it was parked in my neighborhood, LOL), and other brands you never see on the road but run on the track because they do the same thing. I.E. Making expensive low production number cars that wind up doing more racing than anything else.

SimpleS14
10-26-2009, 03:38 PM
500 gets them into racing under homgolation rules . I.E. they build 500 they can take the car racinging Super GT(I think that's the new name) aka what used to be JGTC.
It would also allow them into the American Le Mans series etc...

American Le Mans is were you see cars like the Spyker and Panoz( I have only ever seen one on the road and I have pics of it because it was parked in my neighborhood, LOL), and other brands you never see on the road but run on the track because they do the same thing. I.E. Making expensive low production number cars that wind up doing more racing than anything else.

That's a good assessment and makes perfect sense. Toyota needs a good contender in Super GT.

OptionZero
10-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/26/2011-lexus-lfa-first-drive/)had an interesting take:

Let's go back to the bird's eye view. Toyota opted for a carbon fiber structure as opposed to aluminum, and while we almost/sorta/kinda buy the line about the previous prototypes not meeting specific targets, it would've been far less expensive to manufacture the LFA out of metal rather than the exotic and expensive weave. By doing everything in-house, Toyota's learned plenty about the mass production of carbon fiber and, possibly, how to bring costs down to a more manageable level – maybe even less than aluminum.

. . .

The age of automotive lightness is nearly upon us, and unconventional wisdom says that the automaker who brings composite production costs out of the stratosphere is going to have a huge advantage going forward. The LFA is a test bed for that development – the first massive leap for the world's largest automaker.

While weight reduction is something all enthusiasts are clamoring for, Toyota's first application is the hyper-expensive LFA. Far, far below that is the FT-86 Concept, which Toyota asserts is the model for lightweight sports coupes going forward. So they've got the LFA at the top and the FT-86 at the bottom... what's in between?

We don't know, but we wouldn't be surprised if Toyota unveils something in the next few years that takes the lessons learned from the LFA and distills them into a lightweight, sub-$100k package. That model – if not that specific vehicle – seems to be the direction President Akio Toyoda is aiming for... and until then, the LFA is here: A harbinger of the future and proof that immensely entertaining things are on the way from Toyota. Finally.

Read the full article for actual driving impressions of the LFA.

Yes, the pricetag is retarded and they are STILL reportedly taking a loss on each vehicle sold (on a straight cost of production versus price comparison).

Yes, selling only 500 is retarded.

Yes, the styling is retarded.

But as Autoblog observes, if designing, building, and selling the LFA also comes triggers the advantage of economies of scale of carbon fiber/aluminum construction and that design work trickles down into future sports cars that DO sell for profits (and at better than 500 units, no doubt . . .) they could still come out ahead.

So this is more than a halo car to revive Toyota's image, it could be an investment in future sports car production.

Think of it as taking a loan out to get a graduate degree, then getting a much better paying job (lol, not these days) . . .

axiomatik
10-30-2009, 11:02 AM
I don't buy it. I don't know how much of the LFA is carbon (the whole chassis?), but if they are interested in figuring out how to lower the cost of manufacturing in carbon fiber, you start with the simpler components, like the carbon fiber fenders and roof on the ZR-1. If you can figure out how to get those components down to a cost-competitive level, then you start to work on more complex and difficult components. Regardless of how much Toyota might have learned about carbon fiber in the LFA, we are a long ways away from seeing much carbon fiber in more mass-market cars. And making components for a super-expensive car with a run of just 500 cars is a far cry from making components for a car that sells 20,000 units a year.

exitspeed
10-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Look at this crazy contraption the use to make the A-Pillar.
VIDEO: Weaving the Lexus LFA's carbon fiber A-pillar is mesmerizing — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/29/video-weaving-the-lexus-lfas-carbon-fiber-a-pillar/)

ronmcdon
10-30-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't buy it. I don't know how much of the LFA is carbon (the whole chassis?), but if they are interested in figuring out how to lower the cost of manufacturing in carbon fiber, you start with the simpler components, like the carbon fiber fenders and roof on the ZR-1. If you can figure out how to get those components down to a cost-competitive level, then you start to work on more complex and difficult components. Regardless of how much Toyota might have learned about carbon fiber in the LFA, we are a long ways away from seeing much carbon fiber in more mass-market cars. And making components for a super-expensive car with a run of just 500 cars is a far cry from making components for a car that sells 20,000 units a year.

Much more convincing explanation than Autoblog's.

kingkilburn
10-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Look at this crazy contraption the use to make the A-Pillar.
VIDEO: Weaving the Lexus LFA's carbon fiber A-pillar is mesmerizing — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/29/video-weaving-the-lexus-lfas-carbon-fiber-a-pillar/)

That is pretty intense.

I think the technology costs the same to develop whether it be for a super car or a Corolla. Why not get some prestige while throwing your money away?

ZilviaKid
10-30-2009, 03:03 PM
the new mclaren coming out costs less then this..

LOL

exitspeed
10-30-2009, 03:06 PM
the new mclaren coming out costs less then this..

LOL

Yeah but a McLaren isn't a Lexus...

*sarcasm*

kingkilburn
10-30-2009, 03:29 PM
So a McLaren pulls up next to an LFA. Both roll down their windows. The driver of the McLaren asks the other "Do you have any Grey Poupon?" The driver of the LFA answers back " No but I have a bunch of these just laying around."

http://www.kalyx.com/store/images/Images_GR/GR_266110.jpg

S13shaka
10-30-2009, 05:25 PM
no the autoblog guy is right, just wait till the future and you'll see.

Omarius Maximus
10-31-2009, 06:51 AM
so this thing is a C6 Z06....with 50 more horsepower, and 300K higher pricetag?

kingkilburn
10-31-2009, 11:15 AM
You can't really compare Corvettes to anything but the GTR when talking about price. They are faster than cars that cost more than twice as much.

singlecamslam
01-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Kinda of an old thread, but the LFA is an awesome car, overpriced as hell but awesome.

YouTube - Top Gear - Lexus LFA - BBC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFxII5cwvsc)

jamg
01-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Yeah, just saw the top gear episode on this.

I'm surprised with the technology it has. I think it looks great, it gives off that futuristic car kind of vibe.....the only real downfall I see to this is the price tag....other than that, this car is really something different than what you see

exitspeed
01-07-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure if it said in the video, but what was the GTR's time?

BriinumsBo
03-26-2010, 06:24 AM
http://www.lfaworld.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/lexus_lfa/pictures_photos/2010/03/lexus_lf-a_wallpaper_photoshop_desktop_background.jpg (http://www.lfaworld.com)
Lexus LF-A wallpaper 1600x1200 (http://www.lfaworld.com/sites/default/files/pictures_photos/2010/03/lexus_lf-a_wallpaper_photoshop_desktop_background.jpg)

kingkilburn
03-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Yup

Still fugly.

exitspeed
03-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Man the areas on both sides of the headlights are so jacked up. That hood line is just terrible.

drift freaq
03-26-2010, 08:03 PM
yup has not changed my mind about the car one bit.

Cheesy Doriftos
03-26-2010, 08:32 PM
pretty much how i feel about this car has been already stated.

ugly and overpriced.

meh.

BriinumsBo
03-27-2010, 03:45 AM
weird, i like it !! we'll see how it performs when Stig tests it on dry track :)